HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Watching Habs online, in Montreal?

Old
08-15-2011, 09:05 PM
marantz

vCash: 500
Watching Habs online, in Montreal?

I tried the search but found nothing.

I am in Montreal and I'd like to watch the Habs play this winter. Is there any pay site out there availble for the upcoming season? Zone de match is gone I believe. I watched the playoffs on the CBC site. Do they show all the Habs games during the regular season? Is there anything available that won't force to get Videotron just for RDS for the winter?

Thanks!

marantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Bookmark this site

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
marantz

I should have been more precise. I am talking in HD or at the very least, not in an inch by inch screen. I would to at least make it full screen so I can hook it up to my TV without it looking like complete ass. Does the link provide some proper quality?

Thanks!

Old
08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by marantz View Post
I should have been more precise. I am talking in HD or at the very least, not in an inch by inch screen. I would to at least make it full screen so I can hook it up to my TV without it looking like complete ass. Does the link provide some proper quality?

Thanks!
Some are pretty good quality on a my 24 inch LED screen at full screen. Maybe on a 42 inch your reaching but it could be somewhat feasible.

I haven't watched a stream in a while but on some nights i found 1500 k which is decent. Also download veetle, you can find some good quality ones on that.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Thanks!
RDS does HD online, no ?

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Nope, they don't.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:30 AM
skule123

Does NHL GameCenter work in Ottawa or Montreal for Habs games, or is it blacked out? Too cheap to get cable just for hockey, and like the OP, dissatisfied with the free streaming or even that one certain grey market streaming site.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

NHL Game Centre should work (on NHL.com). If your internet is choppy though, it'll get ugly. I think you can get home or away broadcasts, so you can pick the Montreal broadcast in each game.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Does NHL GameCenter work in Ottawa or Montreal for Habs games, or is it blacked out? Too cheap to get cable just for hockey, and like the OP, dissatisfied with the free streaming or even that one certain grey market streaming site.
I'm not sure what is the blackout restriction but I assume Montreal games would be blacked out in Ottawa because of RDS/TSN broadcasts. However before you order send them an email and ask.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I'm not sure what is the blackout restriction but I assume Montreal games would be blacked out in Ottawa because of RDS/TSN broadcasts. However before you order send them an email and ask.
I read on the main board that it's pointless to get centre ice (which you need to watch live games on game centre) because the hometown games are blacked out. He could have been wrong, or I misread it.

I need to figure out a way to watch a clean stream of the game, as well. I thought RDS had online streaming...

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I read on the main board that it's pointless to get centre ice (which you need to watch live games on game centre) because the hometown games are blacked out. He could have been wrong, or I misread it.

I need to figure out a way to watch a clean stream of the game, as well. I thought RDS had online streaming...

RDS had online streaming for the centennial season only. At the end of the year they had a nice HD feed. No idea why they didn't bring it back. I blame Bell.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I e-mailed in. The stated blackout restrictions on the GameCenter page made it sound pointless for Canadiens fans in Ontario for the reason you stated, so maybe it's more of a US/Global thing - but that seems like a lot of cash to leave on the table!

Of course, RDS decided to ditch that market too.

Old
08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
neofury*

I remember hearing from a habs fan in Ottawa that they black you out

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
marantz

Drats.

Cheapest way to get RDS in HD with Videotron is 21$ for illico base channels plus 17$ for 10 channels a la carte so 38$. I am guessing plus HD fee (3$?) so over 40$.

I'd give RDS 25$ a month to give me a good HD feed on their website. Morons, all of them.

Old
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Drats.

Cheapest way to get RDS in HD with Videotron is 21$ for illico base channels plus 17$ for 10 channels a la carte so 38$. I am guessing plus HD fee (3$?) so over 40$.

I'd give RDS 25$ a month to give me a good HD feed on their website. Morons, all of them.
To be fair though it's great bang for buck. I do this and the thing about it that is stupid is that you don't get your "basic cable" channels automatically as a part of illico. Instead if you want TLC on your illico box as well you have to waste one of your 10 channels. That having been said most people are just smart enough to use this to their advantage and only get 10 channels (aside from RDS) that aren't doubles of their basic cable channels.

That's basically what I do, I just use illico for RDS and 9 premium channels. Funny enough they throw in the french channels for free just not ones like RDS, or English channels like TLC etc that are already on basic cable. (I don't mean the extremely basic cable for 20$ that goes to channel 27)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
marantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be fair though it's great bang for buck. I do this and the thing about it that is stupid is that you don't get your "basic cable" channels automatically as a part of illico. Instead if you want TLC on your illico box as well you have to waste one of your 10 channels. That having been said most people are just smart enough to use this to their advantage and only get 10 channels (aside from RDS) that aren't doubles of their basic cable channels.

That's basically what I do, I just use illico for RDS and 9 premium channels. Funny enough they throw in the french channels for free just not ones like RDS, or English channels like TLC etc that are already on basic cable. (I don't mean the extremely basic cable for 20$ that goes to channel 27)
The downside of that is that you can't record shows on "regular" channels since you are skipping the Illico box to watch those given with classic cable and they are not in HD. But I understand what you mean. I might get CTV on Illico as they carry most shows on the american channels. Anywho, thanks for all the links and thoughts.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
skule123

Quote:
The downside of that is that you can't record shows on "regular" channels since you are skipping the Illico box to watch those given with classic cable and they are not in HD. But I understand what you mean. I might get CTV on Illico as they carry most shows on the american channels. Anywho, thanks for all the links and thoughts.
Here's what I got back about watching Habs games on GameCenter in Montreal:

Quote:
Blackout restrictions for the 2011-12 season are still subject to change, but based on past restrictions we can tell you the following: if a game is televised in your area, whether you have the channel on your television or not, we are required to black the game for the live broadcast and 48 hours following. So, being in Ottawa, you would be blacked out for Montreal if they are either playing the Senators or if the Montreal game is being televised on CBC, TSN, TSN2, or NHL Network.
Interestingly, RDS wasn't on their list. I don't know if that's a mistake, or if I'm good because of language. Still, I'm guessing CBC and TSN will wipe out a LOT of games for me.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

Quote:
Interestingly, RDS wasn't on their list. I don't know if that's a mistake, or if I'm good because of language. Still, I'm guessing CBC and TSN will wipe out a LOT of games for me.
CBC has a free online stream for Saturday Night games, so it's not really a problem.

TSN will broadcast 15 games (IIRC) of the Habs this season.

So if what the Customer Service rep told you is true, you'd be able to watch 67 games (including the saturday nights where you'd have to watch it from CBCSports.com)

BTW, I think RDS got exclusive broadcasting rights of the Habs for the province of Quebec only. So that's why they don't blackout those games for fans outside Quebec.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Here's what I got back about watching Habs games on GameCenter in Montreal:

RDS wasn't on Gamecenter last season, so unless they've agreed to a deal over the summer, it won't be broadcast next season either.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote