HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Rypien passes away

Old
08-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
I remember him trying to attack a fan in Minny. He was then sent home for personal reasons.

R.I.P.
Aside from that, he had taken two separate leave of absences throughout his tenure with the canucks, both being lengthy.

If he wasn't dealing with personal problems, then he was spending time on the IR nursing various injuries.... he barely played.

What a shame to lose a life at that age.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 06:51 AM
ashtraygirl

...and he was 27. really freaked just how many young adults die at that age. Very sad news indeed.

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
bipolarhabfan

He was not well psychologically. He had to take some time off with the Canucks to deal with his demons. Unfortunately, they got the best of him . RIP Rick.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Age 27.. again. Ugh I'm not a superstitious guy, but my 27th bday might be a little worrisome.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
coolasprICE

put things in perspective

http://www.worldometers.info/

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:41 AM
WestIslander

Is it just me or is the NHL's off ice issues and even player issues similar to the NFL these days?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Is it just me or is the NHL's off ice issues and even player issues similar to the NFL these days?
I think it's just you. There are about 20-30 NFLers arrested every year, you hardly ever hear of that in the NHL.

It's sad for Rypien to pass away at such a young age...from the sounds of it it was suicide, I guess he had been dealing with clinical depression for a few years. It's a crippling illness that not many seem to grasp.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:20 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think it's just you. There are about 20-30 NFLers arrested every year, you hardly ever hear of that in the NHL.

It's sad for Rypien to pass away at such a young age...from the sounds of it it was suicide, I guess he had been dealing with clinical depression for a few years. It's a crippling illness that not many seem to grasp.
Quite honestly it amazes me how ignorant about depression some posters are. Not talking about here so much as on the Canucks forum.

People with the whole "cheer up you *****" attitude. Some people don't understand the simple concept that depression is linked to some kind of chemical imbalance and isn't the person choosing to feel like **** 24/7.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Quite honestly it amazes me how ignorant about depression some posters are. Not talking about here so much as on the Canucks forum.

People with the whole "cheer up you *****" attitude. Some people don't understand the simple concept that depression is linked to some kind of chemical imbalance and isn't the person choosing to feel like **** 24/7.
Actually in the Canucks forum there are multiple posters describing clinical depression from personal experience.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Actually in the Canucks forum there are multiple posters describing clinical depression from personal experience.
Yes as a result of several people being stupid. Not sure if mods deleted the posts I'm referring to but many of the ones I am referring to were quoted by the people describing it.

They didn't just wake up and decide to post a 5 paragraph post on depression because people were being mature about the situation

Either way I never denied some smart people were there, just saying plenty of dumb/ignorant people were making comments as well. (How could somebody kill themselves just by being depressed??? = kind of dumb stuff I'm talking about)

Last edited by neofury*: 08-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
twoism

you fail to understand that there actually are people out there living in so much psychic pain that they would do or give absolutely anything to reverse it. you're ignorant of that fact maybe because you haven't reached that point but don't say it couldn't exist as a possibility.

twoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Yep. Depression is something that takes a long time, lots of effort, professional help and sometimes even medication to get through. The brain chemistry involved is retarded, but I know that can get way worse if it goes untreated.

It's too bad, Rypien was a guy I had a lot of respect for as he tried multiple times to get rid of his demons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoism View Post
you fail to understand that there actually are people out there living in so much psychic pain that they would do or give absolutely anything to reverse it. you're ignorant of that fact maybe because you haven't reached that point but don't say it couldn't exist as a possibility.
IF you're talking to Neo, he was only using an example of the stupidity he's seen across HF as a result of Rypien's suicide.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yep. Depression is something that takes a long time, lots of effort, professional help and sometimes even medication to get through. The brain chemistry involved is retarded, but I know that can get way worse if it goes untreated.

It's too bad, Rypien was a guy I had a lot of respect for as he tried multiple times to get rid of his demons.

IF you're talking to Neo, he was only using an example of the stupidity he's seen across HF as a result of Rypien's suicide.
This. And often times treatment especially if not properly supervised can actually lead to suicide as well. There's a reason they warn you about the meds giving you suicidal thoughts. There really isn't any exact science to it. They just know chemicals in your brain are off and in order to fix it sometimes they need to try different drugs. Some push you too far in the wrong direction, some push you too far in the right. (My dad on zoloft lol.. a little too happy)

Anyways that having been said usually the best possible outcomes are obviously losing said depression or being completely neutral. I know somebody who was completely neutral, didn't feel happy didn't feel sad, kind of like the intern on parks and recreation. Believe it or not she went off the meds as she preferred being "normal" (depressed) than not being able to feel at all.

It's kind of hit or miss. The psychiatrist does generally have an idea of what meds might work in your case versus a different persons but ultimately it can be a lot of trial and error.

I've heard of people who had so much trial and error that they wound up more depressed than ever because some of the drugs they took had a negative affect on them permanently. A lot of people don't realize it's the same as any other drug like MDMA, Speed, etc. It plays with the chemicals in your brain and can have varying effects for different people. Also sometimes they work but not forever and they keep having to amp up the dose.

For depressed people often times it just seems like there's no end to it in sight. For every person who gets their 1st medication and is perfectly fine after there are likely 2-3 who aren't. Eventually this type of mental illness wares you down. It's sad because it's probably as often that people die due to depression not being medicated as they do with being medicated. My guess is he probably changed medications or something and sometimes these new meds really screw with your head. To think like somebody who has been on depression meds you first have to understand how drugs affect people. As a person who used to be a pretty big drug addict I can tell you doing drugs that play with the chemicals in your brain (all of them do but some more than others) is a recipe for disaster. You don't realize a lot of the time that it isn't even you thinking a certain way it's the drug making you think that way. You can't even be sure of your own thoughts and emotions. They seem real but they aren't. Then after I quit hard drugs cold turkey it took me months to feel normal again. They will have a long lasting affect on your brain and the way you feel. Then when I thought back to my times as a big time drug addict I could recall the mentalities I had, ways I thought, things I thought of and that person just wasn't me. With anti depressants sometimes people have a similar reaction to what I did with recreational drugs and they think they want to kill themselves but it's the mess the meds have caused in their brain telling them it's the way they feel.

It isn't their fault and if left untreated the same affect can happen only in reverse, your brain needs certain amounts of chemicals to stay balanced or "normal" and if you don't get treated it can just keep getting worse. This is why it's a really stupid thing when somebody complains that somebody shouldn't be depressed or even though they're depressed it should never be so bad that you kill yourself. It's an illness, it isn't you making the choice it's the disease making the choice. If you haven't used drugs that alter your state of mind and your own thinking before you really shouldn't be judging depressed people because ultimately you don't know what it's like to almost be a different person entirely (mentally) than who you really are. And I'm not talking about being drunk once or something, I'm talking about being under the influence of a medication or drug daily.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:49 PM
BINYON
Rookie User

I cant imagine the suffering and hurt he felt in his last few months/years of his life. May you have peace now, RR. Thanks for the memories.

BINYON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Wow RIP Rick, horrible news. Whats with all the tough guys going down?

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Viggo Mortensen

@Neofury, I wont quote all of what you said, but had it right and I can explain a bit better how these meds work.

Anti-depression meds and anti-psychotic meds have a critic phase at the beggining of the treatment, its the phase the doctors are the most afraid because it cause suicidal tendencies then, when the Serotonin levels are stabilized, the patient feels much better and not depressed

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:10 PM
aingaran
HFBoards Sponsor

Another young athlete. It's a shame.
RIP.

aingaran is offline   Reply With Quote