HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger vs. Islander young forwards

View Poll Results: Who has better young forwards?
Rangers by a lot 13 9.49%
Rangers by a little 19 13.87%
About the same 11 8.03%
Islanders by a little 58 42.34%
Islanders by a lot 36 26.28%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Erixon and Miller (combined) are stronger, potentially significantly stronger than Strome.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Erixon and Miller (combined) are stronger, potentially significantly stronger than Strome.
I agree.. The combination of Erixon and JT Miller improved the Rangers prospect list A LOT more than the Isles drafting Strome , Mayfield and Sundstrom (both 2nd round picks)

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Since 2008, the isles drafted 5 defensemen in the first two rounds and the Rangers got only two. In 2007 neither team got a defenseman in the top two rounds. You would think the isles would have stronger defense prospects and rookies, but they don't.

On offense, they took 7 guys, including a first overall, two fifth overall and a 9th overall. The Rangers took five guys, none before #15.

I would say the Rangers have done a better job drafting given the position they were in.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:40 AM
skroob**

Quote:

I would say the Rangers have done a better job drafting given the position they were in.
Absolutely. We've done more with less.

The islanders should have have an young all-star team right now. Instead, they have one that looks to be "OK". And yet, they all praise Garth Snow like he has worked magic? I don't get it.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
msv957

Quote:
Since 2008, the isles drafted 5 defensemen in the first two rounds and the Rangers got only two. In 2007 neither team got a defenseman in the top two rounds. You would think the isles would have stronger defense prospects and rookies, but they don't.

On offense, they took 7 guys, including a first overall, two fifth overall and a 9th overall. The Rangers took five guys, none before #15.

The Rangers have drafted some gems since 2008 with Stepan, Kreider, Thomas, JT Miller, Yogan, Fogarty on Offense. The Isles not even including those High top 9 picks have drafted players such as Matt Martin, Petrov, Brock Nelson, Cizikis, Kabanov, Anders Lee, Ullstrom and Sundstrom on offense since 2008.

Besides Stepan and Martin who is in the NHL, There looks to be some future NHL players on this list. Both teams seemed to have drafted well not even including the Isles top 9 picks.

Old
08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
The Rangers have drafted some gems since 2008 with Stepan, Kreider, Thomas, JT Miller, Yogan, Fogarty on Offense. The Isles not even including those High top 9 picks have drafted players such as Matt Martin, Petrov, Brock Nelson, Cizikis, Kabanov, Anders Lee, Ullstrom and Sundstrom on offense since 2008.
Kinda early to call those guys gems, no?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Islander fans seem to think that their young forwards are massively better than ours. Am I way off to think they are wrong? I think we are deeper, but we lack that star like Tavares. They disagree. One of them suggested that Anisimov would be about the 9th best forward on the present-day Islanders team, not including prospects like Nino, and that Zuccarello would not even be a top-15 prospect on their team.

This is our depth for U-26 forwards:

1. Dubinsky
2. Callahan
3. Stepan
4. Anisimov
5. Zuccarello
6. Boyle
7. Kreider
8. Thomas
9. Miller
10. Fasth
11. Lindberg
12. Fogarty
13. Yogan
14. Bourque
15. Weise
16. St. Croix
17. McColgan
18. Wolski

And this is their forward depth:

1. Tavares
2. Moulson
3. Grabner
4. Okposo
5. Nielsen
6. Comeau
7. Bailey
8. Niederreiter
9. Strome
10. Kabanov
11. Petrov
12. Ullstrom
13. Nelson
14. Martin
15. Lee
16. Cizikas
17. Rakhshani

Islanders stats last year: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000522011.html

HockeysFuture Islanders page: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_york_islanders

To be honest, I just want to know what Ranger fans think, so I will ask Islander fans to please stay out of this. I already know you guys think your forwards are head and shoulders superior to our "scrubs".

EDIT: I forgot to include Wolski who is only 25. Not exactly an old man.
I hate to admit it, but the Rangers don't really have any top level prospects in their system and certainly nobody who is remotely close to Tavares or Okposo as all around players or to Grabner and Moulson as goal scorers. Strome also has tremendous upside and Nino will also become a very good player. The only prospect we have who has tremendous potential is Kreider but the jury is still out on him due to doubts about his hockey IQ.
We have done a much better job drafting the past five or so years since Gordie Clark took over but the lack of any high level prospects may continue to hold us back.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I hate to admit it, but the Rangers don't really have any top level prospects in their system and certainly nobody who is remotely close to Tavares or Okposo as all around players or to Grabner and Moulson as goal scorers. Strome also has tremendous upside and Nino will also become a very good player. The only prospect we have who has tremendous potential is Kreider but the jury is still out on him due to doubts about his hockey IQ.
We have done a much better job drafting the past five or so years since Gordie Clark took over but the lack of any high level prospects may continue to hold us back.
Hah, you act as if Okposo is anything special.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Absolutely. We've done more with less.

The islanders should have have an young all-star team right now. Instead, they have one that looks to be "OK". And yet, they all praise Garth Snow like he has worked magic? I don't get it.
I think the magic that is claimed is that Snow restocked a bare system with some good prospects. Yes, picking early in the first round helps, but, it isn't a guarantee. Look at the Detroit Lions, The Portland Trailblazers, The Atlanta Thrashers and LA Clippers and even the Isles. How many of Milbury's first round picks have worked out; let alone on the Isles, but on any team? Each year they picked top 5 in the draft and it got them no where. It seems the Isles and Snow have learned from Milbury's mistakes.

There are people like Hamonic, Poulin, possibly Matt Donovan and Scott Mayfield, Kiril Petrov and Kilirl Kabanov who, picked in the later rounds, well, if they pan out to be what they have shown they could be, that's when we see if Snow has worked magic with being a good judge of talent since these guys were later round picks.

The wild cards? Grabner and Moulson. Did Snow just pick them up b/c he needed bodies on his team or did he realize there was untapped talent and potential in those two? That question can easily be answered with both possibilities in the affirmative.

Also, it just isn't Isles fans claiming Snow has done extremely well with the drafting...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

And that HockeyProspectus article which has garnered some heat for not being too well put together.

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
We're not going to get a top level talent with our draft position especially as the young homegrown team will now continue to rise in the standings. That's what UFA and cap management is all about and that's exactly what Sather has done with Gaborik and Richards.

What the Rangers have done with the draft and some smart trades is to build a very experienced, very young blueline and solid lines 2-4 as well as constant stream of young players competing for a spot every season.

The Islanders have a lot of very high picks but not a very good team. Any talent analysis has to look at the finished product and right now the Rangers look to ice a MUCH better team and be competitive with a deep organization. Let's see the Islanders stop being the doormat of the EC before we begin thinking about how awesomely talented their prospects are...

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:29 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
agreed... Okposo is good and can be a good player like Dubinsky or Callahan but not a 5 time All Star in the making here.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Has everybody here overlooked a young man named Artem Anisimov?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
agreed... Okposo is good and can be a good player like Dubinsky or Callahan but not a 5 time All Star in the making here.
Before you say Ha, bear in mind that Okposo was set back by his injury plagued season last year. I believe he will turn out to be a terrific all around player.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

When you have made the playoffs once in 7 years and havent been higher than 8th in who knows how long, along with not selling your picks like a drunken sailor i.e. Burke you start to accumulate some good kids after a while.

The Islanders don't have the money for a competitive team, or the arena. So frankly whether or not their prospects and young players are better than ours is of very little concern. Whether they will still be in New York in 5 years is.

08-16-2011, 08:16 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He might not become special, but he might be a power forward that can score, something the Rangers have a history of never having.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:29 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
He might not become special, but he might be a power forward that can score, something the Rangers have a history of never having.
He's not a goal scorer. KO is a playmaker.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote