HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): National Leeague Eastern Division Champs

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Someone would claim him just to block it from happening.
How would that work with a player who has clauses in his contract such as I would assume he certainly would?

After the game Thome spent quite a while praising Charlie to high Heavens and called him 'like a father' to him... saying he owes the most credit to him. I would think with that that he would waive any clause to play for Charlie and to have a chance to win a WS... Could he only waive to be moved to the Phillies so it would be here or nowhere, or would he have to commit to waiving before he is moved and there is no retracting the waiver? I have no idea as to the rules in this case.

... Also, would teams do the honorable thing and allow him to slip through due to his status? All is fair in love, war and sports... so maybe not... no matter how nice he is and what a class act he is... the competition wouldn't want to give any edge, let alone one such as he is.

I assume he was dealt at non-waiver time last season and didn't have to clear.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-16-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old
08-16-2011, 08:33 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
How would that work with a player who has clauses in his contract such as I would assume he certainly would?

After the game Thome spent quite a while praising Charlie to high Heavens and called him 'like a father' to him... saying he owes the most credit to him. I would think with that that he would waive any clause to play for Charlie and to have a chance to win a WS... Could he only waive to be moved to the Phillies so it would be here or nowhere, or would he have to commit to waiving before he is moved and there is no retracting the waiver? I have no idea as to the rules in this case.

... Also, would teams do the honorable thing and allow him to slip through due to his status? All is fair in love, war and sports... so maybe not... no matter how nice he is and what a class act he is... the competition wouldn't want to give any edge, let alone one such as he is.

There is no possible way or any clause unless it was signed by 28 other teams. Any team can claim him. It's just a risk because if the Twins wanted to dump him and a team claimed him, the Twins could literally just hand over his salary to whoever does the claiming.

08-16-2011, 08:44 AM
mm6492

Quote:

They put him on waivers, and due to us having the best record in baseball, 28 other teams woud have to pass. Most likely, another playoff team would claim him to, at the very least, not let us get him.

Old
08-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Thome just hit number 600. Naturally the whole Twins dugout emptied to celebrate with him. But there's still a game going on, 2 outs in the 7th, but his dad, wife and kids come out onto the field too... I know it's a huge milestone, but my feeling is that stuff can wait.
I know what you're saying, but Jim Thome, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr, Babe Ruth, and Hank Aaron are the only players with 600 HR's that did not take steroids. I think certain things are a big enough deal to warrant stopping the game for a bit, and this was one.

Old
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
When you accomplish a milestone that only 7 players in history have reached before you, I am perfectly fine with stopping the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I know what you're saying, but Jim Thome, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr, Babe Ruth, and Hank Aaron are the only players with 600 HR's that did not take steroids. I think certain things are a big enough deal to warrant stopping the game for a bit, and this was one.
Yeah I agree that if anything is an important enough milestone to stop the game, this is one of them.

But I don't agree with the entire idea of stopping a game to celebrate a milestone. How many guys hit 599 HR? How about 598? Or 604? That said, he's a classy guy and I'm sure that's exactly how he wanted to spend that moment.

Old
08-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
There is no possible way or any clause unless it was signed by 28 other teams. Any team can claim him. It's just a risk because if the Twins wanted to dump him and a team claimed him, the Twins could literally just hand over his salary to whoever does the claiming.
I guess I should have been more clear on that... I meant if he had any sort of trade clause that did not allow being waived -- if that were allowed in MLB -- and he wanted to waive that clause but on a limited basis... like only to play with Charlie.

I fully understand the other aspects on the waiver process and the Phillies low position... that is why I questioned if a trade clause could come into play.

Old
08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
I guess I should have been more clear on that... I meant if he had any sort of trade clause that did not allow being waived -- if that were allowed in MLB -- and he wanted to waive that clause but on a limited basis... like only to play with Charlie.

I fully understand the other aspects on the waiver process and the Phillies low position... that is why I questioned if a trade clause could come into play.
He wouldn't need a clause, he would just need an agreement with the Twins in principal. The Twins can pull him off the wire after a claim and just keep him... that does not, however, stop another team putting in a claim and stopping Thome from going to the Phils (a likely event, as there are a couple of teams that could probably use Thome as a bench player).

A ton of players are secretly on waivers every year without anything coming of it.

Old
08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He wouldn't need a clause, he would just need an agreement with the Twins in principal. The Twins can pull him off the wire after a claim and just keep him... that does not, however, stop another team putting in a claim and stopping Thome from going to the Phils (a likely event, as there are a couple of teams that could probably use Thome as a bench player).

A ton of players are secretly on waivers every year without anything coming of it.
Thanks, that is really what I was curious about also... With rules changing so much and different sports having different rules I was unsure of the revocable waiver rules in effect now in MLB.

So Thome can stop a waiver claim but cannot limit one beyond that... which when I think about it is basically what I was thinking about. I was a bit confused about how a trade clause would effect it but I guess it boils down to he would have to completely waive that clause to allow any chance to move to the Phillies, and then pray for teams to be charitable and pass on him... which is a slim to no chance thing.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Don't forget in 2009 Thome slipped to the first place Dodgers on waivers.

Old
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

Hunter Pence: He melts faces!

Near bottom of Stark column
Quote:
And bench coach Pete Mackanin reports, after a week of watching Pence's ferocious hacks at the plate, he kiddingly told Pence he should try blooping in a hit once in a while. To which Pence replied: "Pete, I don't do that. I melt faces."
e: Oh yeah, and Cole is to miss his next start with inflammation, no structural damage. Polanco's status is still uncertain, might go to DL. Announcement to be made within 24 hours.
Link

Last edited by Phileeguy: 08-16-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Hunter Pence: He melts faces!

Near bottom of Stark column

I really enjoy having straight-up weirdos on my sports teams, especially baseball teams. They really need them.

Old
08-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Cole may return to the rotation Monday or Tuesday. So by that time him will have well over a week in between starts.

Old
08-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Don't forget in 2009 Thome slipped to the first place Dodgers on waivers.
It could happen, I just wouldn't expect it to happen.

Old
08-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

OK Pence, make it happen

08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

What was that, 7 fouls?

Old
08-16-2011, 08:29 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Atta boy Shane.

Old
08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Ooof, right in the groin...

Old
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Justified
Amaro out

To bad Shane missed some time this year, he is having an MVP type season.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
GoldBlooded
Doop

I love Halladay's reaction when he made contact on his double. He was hoping it would go out so he didn't have to run haha.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
To bad Shane missed some time this year, he is having an MVP type season.
I agree... but he had to get Doc in from Third there in the 7th... Nasty lefty gave Chase no shot. One run game and they don't get a lead-off double from the pitcher in.

It's a shame we don't have the Cy Young pitcher on the mound pitching a great game... oh, wait... we do.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NodlFTW View Post
I love Halladay's reaction when he made contact on his double. He was hoping it would go out so he didn't have to run haha.
So was I... but the base-running sure didn't effect his pitching.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
I agree... but he had to get Doc in from Third there in the 7th... Nasty lefty gave Chase no shot. One run game and they don't get a lead-off double from the pitcher in.

It's a shame we don't have the Cy Young pitcher on the mound pitching a great game... oh, wait... we do.
Cole isnt pitching to until atleast Monday .

I agree with you about Shane last inning, he has to get him in somehow.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Cole isnt pitching to until atleast Monday .

I agree with you about Shane last inning, he has to get him in somehow.
I was actually speaking of the reigning one... but I think I jinxed him.

... Walk off time coming up.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
GoldBlooded
Doop

They should let Halladay hit, he's on fire.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Why didnt JMFM pinch hit?

Closed Thread