HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cage Aux Sports in Centre Bell closed.(under renovation)

Old
08-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
Well that's disappointing...fewer Cages..the better...

It's not like anything else in there would be any better...ok...anything else would be better..but nothing would be good...All the Arena restaurants I've ever frequented have had terrible food...don't get me started on the "Irish" pub in the basement of Nassau Coliseum.
Wait! The restaurant in the basement of Nassau Coliseum is supposed to be an Irish pub?!?! I thought it was a waiting room with sandwiches and beer!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 04:44 PM
CoupeStanley

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
First time I've heard so many complains on La Cage. I am not that surprised considering the numbers of pseudo-expert-of-everything and whiner there is on this board.

Personally, I like La Cage, always had good time there.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 04:56 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'd be 100% for this. Their food is fantastic. Birthday cakes are also delicious over there.
Heh, the person who makes the birthday cakes at Romados is a close friend to my family. He really does make good cakes lol.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 05:23 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
First time I've heard so many complains on La Cage. I am not that surprised considering the numbers of pseudo-expert-of-everything and whiner there is on this board.

Rofl yeah it must be all of us and not the fact that cage just sucks

Like I said the one at the bell center I have no problems with but the one on the west island is garbage.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 05:33 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

I have been going to Montreal now, for the Superbowl weekend for the past 8-9 years, and always go to the Cage once that weekend, and it's always been good food, and a great atmosphere...tough crowd on this board, I guess?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Heh, the person who makes the birthday cakes at Romados is a close friend to my family. He really does make good cakes lol.
Oh man, does he ever. I got a Strawberry Shortcake themed cake for my daughter's fourth birthday. They actually put sliced strawberries and kiwis inside the cake. It was so good!

Well I've learned something from this thread. Someone working and/or a higher up at La Cage Aux Sports reads HFBoards.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Do you eat cardboard at home? That's the only way cage food would seem good. Cage is absolutely terrible. The meat sucks really bad. I was disgusted when i went.

For those saying baton rouge is bad, it's possible your location sucks. The one in anjou and the one on st catherine have never given me a problem. Anjou even gives me more food than I can handle tbh.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I don't get the Baton Rouge hate either. The ribs are really good, and the steaks are alright.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:00 AM
coolasprICE

want to know why Cage remains in business?

Quote:

well, this statement sums it up...

I'll take good food and one 50 inch plasma over 500 inch projectors on each wall and crappy food.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I don't get the Baton Rouge hate either. The ribs are really good, and the steaks are alright.
I like Baton Rouge, food is pretty good the only negative is that it's a little expensive but besides that it's much better than Cage

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Again it's a situation where the west island one sucks. I believe I did mention it earlier in this thread that the one right by the bell is alright. Either way though I just don't see it as the high end restaurant chain it's attempting to be but the downtown and Vaudreuil ones are fine. Both the Score's in Dorval and Pointe-Claire are awful though and so is the Baton Rouge right across the street from it.

With Cage the way I see it is even though the downtown one is passable I don't go to a sit down restaurant or even resto bar to get food that is purely stuff I could make better in my microwave or oven at home. I'm no chef but a lot of their foods are things I could pickup already made at Loblaws (PC brand) and it will be much better. If I go to a restaurant usually it's to have something that I can't make as good at home. Like I said I'm no chef and while Cage is good for a couple beers in terms of food they're seriously lacking. With Jack Astors or Le Manoir both driving distance away it makes no sense to go to Cage. Both have better food, both have more comfortable seating/game viewing, both have the better atmosphere, I mean really Cage has nothing on either of these places and is right around the corner. They should take a page out of their book. Only think Cage has on Manoir is the liquor license and I believe that may have already changed. Plus I'm sure liquor and drinks at Manoir will be more moderately priced as they're trying to appeal to a mix of no joke 18-28 year olds and 65-75 year olds. The crowd is the oddest mix.

That having been said last time I saw UFC at Cage it was a horrible experience in every way from the food to the comfort to the TV's. At manoir every table has its own 50"+ plasma. It isn't like you're sitting in massage chairs or anything but it's just more pleasant overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
want to know why Cage remains in business?

well, this statement sums it up...

I'll take good food and one 50 inch plasma over 500 inch projectors on each wall and crappy food.
Where I go it's a big room with like maybe 60 tables they have like 20 50" Plasmas easy and they're good quality ones. I haven't seen a place with 500 inch projectors since I first started being able to go to bars almost a decade ago.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...re_Quebec.html

The person who says it changed for the worst is likely an old person who has been going there for 30 years. They have a much younger crowd now so that must step on some toes, that and they used to have a bunch of old waiters who really honestly sucked and treated young people like ****. Obviously the new owner isn't an idiot and wants to make money because the young people are the reason it's packed like 5 nights a week. So now he replaced those ****** bag waiters who would give old people better service for younger female waiters who don't give a **** and just want tips regardless.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-17-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old
08-17-2011, 08:25 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Where I go it's a big room with like maybe 60 tables they have like 20 50" Plasmas easy and they're good quality ones. I haven't seen a place with 500 inch projectors since I first started being able to go to bars almost a decade ago.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...re_Quebec.html

The person who says it changed for the worst is likely an old person who has been going there for 30 years. They have a much younger crowd now so that must step on some toes, that and they used to have a bunch of old waiters who really honestly sucked and treated young people like ****. Obviously the new owner isn't an idiot and wants to make money because the young people are the reason it's packed like 5 nights a week. So now he replaced those ****** bag waiters who would give old people better service for younger female waiters who don't give a **** and just want tips regardless.
I've been to Le Manoir, just a few weeks back actually. The terrace is really big and impressive and had a nice number of attractive women (young, anglo, blonde, west-islanders.... not my personal preference but hey).

Had the wings... no complaints...though my waiter was no hottie... (50 yr old man).

I use to have an ex gf that lived in dollard and never in the few years we dated came across this place.... but that was awhile back, so I'm assuming it's been just a few years that this place has been resurrected.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:33 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
hi, there's another rumor floating that there'll be no more plastic in your food and that they intend to put beef in their burgers... is this true???
this was awesome

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Hah, I'm 26 years old and I think the change in the Manoir has been for the worse. I don't really have too much of an opinion on the servers themselves but now that you get your food and beer from the same server, it's definitely slower and a lot harder to get a hold of your server. Not the end of the world but it's annoying.

But the food is absolute **** now. Last time I was there I had the Manoir Burger or whatever it was and it was worse than a Big Mac, I swear. I also hate how packed it is now - used to be a good place to hang out, watch the Habs game with some friends, and be able to hold a conversation. Now it's filled with a bunch of kids and you can't hear yourself think. Not that I fault the owner for wanting to make money (like you said) but I think the ambience suffers a lot.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
mikko_koivu

went to the blink-182 concert at the bell centre last night and while the outside was all boarded up inside the restuarant was still there and even open and serving beer...

mikko_koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:09 PM
AureleJoliat
Rookie User

fwiw, the st-hub next door to the cage offers better food & beer

AureleJoliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I've been to Le Manoir, just a few weeks back actually. The terrace is really big and impressive and had a nice number of attractive women (young, anglo, blonde, west-islanders.... not my personal preference but hey).

Had the wings... no complaints...though my waiter was no hottie... (50 yr old man).

I use to have an ex gf that lived in dollard and never in the few years we dated came across this place.... but that was awhile back, so I'm assuming it's been just a few years that this place has been resurrected.
Actually it was always good pre-resurrection. The food is usually really good for the price but can be hit or miss. Only real change I noticed last time I was there were a ton of new TV's, I haven't been since they changed the waiting staff so I can't comment on if that was for the good or bad. Last time I went though the waiting staff was the only problem really so I can't see it being any worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hah, I'm 26 years old and I think the change in the Manoir has been for the worse. I don't really have too much of an opinion on the servers themselves but now that you get your food and beer from the same server, it's definitely slower and a lot harder to get a hold of your server. Not the end of the world but it's annoying.

But the food is absolute **** now. Last time I was there I had the Manoir Burger or whatever it was and it was worse than a Big Mac, I swear. I also hate how packed it is now - used to be a good place to hang out, watch the Habs game with some friends, and be able to hold a conversation. Now it's filled with a bunch of kids and you can't hear yourself think. Not that I fault the owner for wanting to make money (like you said) but I think the ambience suffers a lot.
I'm 26 as well. I haven't been very recently so I can't speak for the new servers but the only problem I ever had in the past was just how bad the servers were. I guess it's hit or miss. The one problem I've always had their is lack of service speed. I mean sometimes I would luck out and get one of the good servers but most of the time I wouldn't. Never had bad food there though to be honest even since the new ownership. Some of the food is hit or miss I guess, have had some friends who didn't like some of the stuff. It's partially the fault of people like me. When I used to go there it was quieter like you said but then I blabbed to a bunch of folks about how good it was to go there for the game. Now all these people know about it cause of the blabber mouths like me, where as old people kept it a secret for so long

Back when they had separate people for food/drink to be honest I thought it was a nightmare. It's just a clever ploy to try and increase tipping imo. (Maybe because back when it was mostly old people who are stingy? Most of their crowd of old folks come from the old folks homes)

Anyways I always found it a pain in the ass trying to get the bill when I wanted to leave. I would have to practically harass the guy to pay the bills. This is why I found it quite annoying. Service speed and quality service in general really isn't their forte. Providing a good place to eat, have a beer and watch the game is their forte. They do need to amp up the service speed and level of service they give people though. But honestly aside from having to wait to be served now and then it's still better than Cage even if they serve you right away.

Now that they've combined the billing it just makes a lot more sense imo. I'm glad they did that because it was stupid before. Sometimes I would just want to leave and I'd even consider just leaving without paying just because of how rude I found it of them to keep you waiting around for so long. Their problem is they aren't organized enough and they had a bunch of 50 year old men working there. Some of whom don't like younger people or anglos. (Which for the west island is extremely weird) It's okay if I have to chase down a waitress cause I'm waiting too long at a restaurant 1/10 times I go there. If it happens 9/10 times though you know they're disorganized and that the system is fail. Every time I'd go there it was like this. I know it's during the game and all so there are lots of people but other places I've been to never seem to have that problem. Either way every place has its faults but I'd rather pay less to have a comparable or better meal there with more comfort and better TV's is the point. Wasn't trying to say Le Manoir is perfect, far from it. Their problem is service though, Cage's problem is sometimes service too but mostly the comfort/food/lack of quality TV's and viewing angles.

I'm pretty sure they did get complaints hence why they got new staff.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-17-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old
08-17-2011, 03:53 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Champs and Sports Station are much better.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Maliki2

Quote:

Ate there a few times, was like munching on day old garbage. The Cage food sucks badly.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
c3z4r

I never liked the cage but i always enjoyed PJ's bar. Too bad it's sooo far away from my place now that i've moved. I would have liked if they expanded to the bell centre.

I've always heard people complain about the food at la cage. I remember for game 7, some of my friends went to la cage @ angrignon, while i decided to go to PJ's, and for weeks i couldnt get them to stop ranting about how disappointed they were about their experience there.

c3z4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Haddock

Yeah chain A that sells booze and crappy food with big screen tvs sucks but chains B and C that does the exact same thing are awesome. That's like whining about Britney Spears but praising Katy Perry or any other boring pop *****.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Yeah chain A that sells booze and crappy food with big screen tvs sucks but chains B and C that does the exact same thing are awesome. That's like whining about Britney Spears but praising Katy Perry or any other boring pop *****.
Yeeeaaaah.. No, buddy.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Katy >> Britney.

AINEC

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Champs and Sports Station are much better.
Champs is too expensive, and isn't that much better.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Wait! The restaurant in the basement of Nassau Coliseum is supposed to be an Irish pub?!?! I thought it was a waiting room with sandwiches and beer!
whatever it is, it's the only nice thing about that ugly thing called an NHL home rink.
By far the worst of the 11 NHL buildings i've set foot in

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote