HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Yahoo Sports Investigation on Miami Football/Basketball (Lack of Inst. Control)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2011, 08:42 PM
  #26
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 40,311
vCash: 500
I want to know which player had an abortion paid for as part of his pay-for-play deal.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:45 PM
  #27
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 15,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
http://twitter.com/VTVOICE/statuses/103634856164077568


Well...Jay...I guess you can say Miami's been wiped out

Yeahhhhhhh

(Sorry, impromptu and off the cuff improvisation...someone think up a better CSI Miami Joke)
Sounds like Miami's about to get rocked...

Like a Hurricane.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:51 PM
  #28
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
The only reason the Dorsey era was a success because the Little East is trash. That team wouldn't have run the table all those years in a different league.
Uhhh what? That 2001 Miami team is arguably the best college football team of all tme, no doubt the best of the current BCS era. The Big East was a lot better then than it is now. They also played three ranked teams OOC and won those games by at least 22 points including beating Washington 65-7. I don't like Miami and want to see them go down, but acting like those Miami teams were only good because the Big East sucked(which it didn't at the time) is just dumb.

What's happening to these programs isn't a surprise. Even America's Sweetheart Boise St had to self-impose sanctions on their program back in March. The NCAA is a mess and they can't control any of the programs.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
  #29
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Engelland
Posts: 208,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Sounds like Miami's about to get rocked...

Like a Hurricane.
ROFL. That's it!

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
  #30
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Uhhh what? That 2001 Miami team is arguably the best college football team of all tme, no doubt the best of the current BCS era. The Big East was a lot better then than it is now. They also played three ranked teams OOC and won those games by at least 22 points including beating Washington 65-7. I don't like Miami and want to see them go down, but acting like those Miami teams were only good because the Big East sucked(which it didn't at the time) is just dumb.

What's happening to these programs isn't a surprise. Even America's Sweetheart Boise St had to self-impose sanctions on their program back in March. The NCAA is a mess and they can't control any of the programs.
I guess schedule could come into play. would that team have run the table with an SEC schedule of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Bama, LSU asnd Auburn?

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
  #31
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I want to know which player had an abortion paid for as part of his pay-for-play deal.
$cam Newton

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
  #32
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I want to know which player had an abortion paid for as part of his pay-for-play deal.
Same here

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
  #33
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,724
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I guess schedule could come into play. would that team have run the table with an SEC schedule of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Bama, LSU asnd Auburn?
Current SEC or the one that was there then?

I think so in both cases. The next year Tennessee lost some players but Miami railroaded both them and Florida away from home. The SEC wasn't as good then either. Georgia had a pretty good team but there was a big discrepancy in talent between them and the Canes.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
  #34
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Engelland
Posts: 208,702
vCash: 500

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
  #35
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Current SEC or the one that was there then?

I think so in both cases. The next year Tennessee lost some players but Miami railroaded both them and Florida away from home. The SEC wasn't as good then either. Georgia had a pretty good team but there was a big discrepancy in talent between them and the Canes.
Fair enough.

Then how did the SEC become so dominant anyway, because your right around thwe milenium they weren't near as good and the game was even in a fair manor? Is it one of those cycle things where this won't last and another conference will eventually dominant?

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
  #36
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,724
vCash: 500
Awards:
Boosters caught up in my opinion. And Alabama got shed of their probation and bowl bans and here we are today. Because of the SEC expanding I don't know if we'll get another dominant conference besides them, but it comes and goes. The Pac-12 will be strong when USC gets off their sanctions.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
  #37
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I guess schedule could come into play. would that team have run the table with an SEC schedule of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Bama, LSU asnd Auburn?
They probably would've beat all of those teams by double digits. UF and UT were the only title contenders that year out of that group... Miami was just on another level.


Last edited by Hockeyfan02: 08-16-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
  #38
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Engelland
Posts: 208,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Boosters caught up in my opinion. And Alabama got shed of their probation and bowl bans and here we are today. Because of the SEC expanding I don't know if we'll get another dominant conference besides them, but it comes and goes. The Pac-12 will be strong when USC gets off their sanctions.
In a few years, we will end up with a NHL-type "East Vs. West" championship game. Eastern conference - SEC, Western conference, PAC 12.

Seriously, all teams will just merge into either SEC or PAC 12. Lol.

Well, at least there'll be playoffs to decide the champion of the Western and Eastern conferences. So there's the playoff everyone is clamoring for. Go for it!

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
  #39
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
In a few years, we will end up with a NHL-type "East Vs. West" championship game. Eastern conference - SEC, Western conference, PAC 12.

Seriously, all teams will just merge into either SEC or PAC 12. Lol.

Well, at least there'll be playoffs to decide the champion of the Western and Eastern conferences. So there's the playoff everyone is clamoring for. Go for it!
I guess in a way your right. Now with each Conference having a Championship Game a lot of **** will play itself out to a degree.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
  #40
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,618
vCash: 500
Now Yahoo has a separate link for every player and coach involved. It's on the right side of the main article. The page shows what the player was given and how many calls/texts were exchanged. They even have audio of Shapiro talking about the specific players and coaches.

Charles Robinson and Yahoo aren't messing around.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:05 PM
  #41
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Engelland
Posts: 208,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Now Yahoo has a separate link for every player and coach involved. It's on the right side of the main article. The page shows what the player was given and how many calls/texts were exchanged. They even have audio of Shapiro talking about the specific players and coaches.

Charles Robinson and Yahoo aren't messing around.
Lol Chris Fowler was all hesitant on twitter..."we need proof!"

But yeah, Miami's done.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
  #42
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 20,064
vCash: 500
All the more ironic given Paul Dee, Miami's AD in 1995 - when they were first hammered - all the way up to 2008, was the Chairman of the Committee on Infractions with the NCAA. He led the charge against USC and forced those sanctions through with marginal evidence at best.

Why am I not surprised? The NCAA is a joke and every school could be hammered given the nature of the beast but it's ridiculous that this clown had any form of power in the NCAA given his history.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 08-16-2011 at 11:52 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:51 PM
  #43
vt89*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
this is beautiful. so, so beautiful.

vt89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:43 AM
  #44
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LoriaLand
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Lol Chris Fowler was all hesitant on twitter..."we need proof!"

But yeah, Miami's done.
Fowler & noted tOSU alum Kirk Herbstreit will always show thier love & loyalty to The U!

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:01 AM
  #45
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 16,801
vCash: 500
rivalsmike Mike Farrell
Back in the early days of Rivals I remember a few kids from my region who took officials to #Miami and came back different. Now I know why.
-----------------------------------------------

My personal opinion on this, not sure how feasible this all would be. I don't think they should drop football completely. Miami would be better off playing this season out (no choice in this)

- Take a year break and completely cleanse this program.

- Declare any of the kids who took benefits as ineligible to play at any NCAA school.

- Let any of the kids who didn't take benefits transfer without the normal one year wait. Just as was allowed at USC


Last edited by Herby: 08-17-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
  #46
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I guess I can see where they are at some fault MINUS stopping it. What are they gunna do? Hold a gun up to their heads? kick them off the team?(Some kids really wouldn't find that to be a big deal)
If they report it to the NCAA, the NCAA will suspend the player. That's how it's supposed to work. The schools are supposed to watch out for this stuff and report the problems. OSU wasn't watching and was covering up what they did find.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:41 AM
  #47
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Engelland
Posts: 208,702
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/VTVOICE/statuses/103808437770649600
Quote:
"The NCAA has access to more allegations than we printed," Wetzel said. "This is worse for Miami than it appears," he said.
http://twitter.com/VTVOICE/statuses/103809055658749952
Quote:
"There were things we didn't print because either they were too personal, or we couldn't corroborate his allegations," Wetzel said.
Unlike ESPN, Yahoo actually practices good journalism.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
  #48
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 31,637
vCash: 500
After the mention of abortions and bounties for injuries I woner what else could possibly be menioned? Legal issues like hard drugs perhaps?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:03 AM
  #49
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Engelland
Posts: 208,702
vCash: 500

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
  #50
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Schools busted for cheating = USC, OSU, Miami

Schools not yet busted for cheating = all other schools

Schools innocent of cheating = none
Ohio State didn't "cheat" to gain an advantage on the field. It was more of just dumbass nonsense by a few players who had their heads up their ass.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.