HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Feature on Paul Thompson

Old
08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Devils fan that went to UNH, here. Graduated in '10 so I had the chance to watch Thompson for three years in person, in addition to watching a few games this year.

He was a pretty highly touted guy coming in, being from New Hampshire and all. Took him a couple seasons to really get going, but that could be attributed to the insane depth that UNH had at forward in his freshman and sophomore years (JVR, Fornataro, Radja, Butler).

I like the Moulson comparison. It's definitely his shot and hands that will get the job done at the pro level, not his skating. He's definitely got that nose from ten feet in that will allow him to score a decent amount of goals.

Whereas I think Sislo will be more of a "jack of all trades" for the Devils, Thompson has the higher offensive ceiling and I think, given your center depth, he could be a terrific complement that you could plug up and down your top nine.

He played left wing in college, by the way.

A funny tidbit before I head back to my board: Thompson signed with the Penguins about a week before Sislo signed with the Devils. When Sislo signed, Thompson wrote "awkward..." on Sislo's facebook wall .
Haha. Thanks for the 2 cents. Funny story too.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I think Petersen will have a big year, but I don't think there's any way Vitale makes it through waivers, and I don't think I want to take the chance if I'm Pittsburgh.

Waivers? He has to be on the roster before he can be sent down and clear waivers. AFAIK he wasn't on the roster at the end of last season and he isn't on there now either.

Currently the only "young AHL guys" listed on our roster are Jeffrey, Johnson, Letestu and Tangradi.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
JTG

And Tangradi is not waiver eligible.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Waivers? He has to be on the roster before he can be sent down and clear waivers. AFAIK he wasn't on the roster at the end of last season and he isn't on there now either.

Currently the only "young AHL guys" listed on our roster are Jeffrey, Johnson, Letestu and Tangradi.
At the start of each season every player who has contract with the Pens is "on the roster" until Pens re-assign them to AHL or ECHL or juniors or elsewhere. At which point a player like Vitale has to go through waivers.

Last edited by Vujtek: 08-17-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:31 AM
TheEdge27

Really wish I could watch some WB/S games and see this kid play. Im more intrigued everytime I read about him.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
At the start of each season every player who has contract with the Pens is "on the roster" until Pens re-assign them to AHL or ECHL or juniors or elsewhere. At which point a player like Vitale has to go through waivers.
I thought this was not true of guys on two-way contracts and guys on their rookie contract, otherwise what would stop teams from poaching all the other teams' good prospects who don't quite have NHL stuff yet?

Old
08-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
I thought this was not true of guys on two-way contracts and guys on their rookie contract, otherwise what would stop teams from poaching all the other teams' good prospects who don't quite have NHL stuff yet?
Well teams can't "poach" players who are waiver exempt (e.g. Tangradi, Kuhnhackl etc.). But Vitale for example is waiver eligible for the first time this year.

If a player is waiver eligible he has to clear waivers in order to play in AHL.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Two-ways don't have any bearing on waiver eligibility, which is the key. How many years a player is under contract, and at what age they signed their contract is how you determine who has to clear at the start of every year. Two-ways just mean you get paid a % of your contract when you're in the AHL.

Here's a bit of info that determines waiver eligibility:

"For anyone 20 or older, the year in which they play their first professional game is considered the first year counting towards the number of years they are exempt from waivers." (Note AHL games are considered professional)

Ok so Vitale signed a one-year ELC in April 2009, when he was 23. Any player who signs their ELC at 20-23 only gets 3 protected years. (It drops off to 2 years at 24, 1 year at 25+, and 18 year olds get 5, 19 year olds 4 years protected)

For Vitalte, 08-09 counts as his first season, because he played the tail end of the AHL season and 12 postseason games. Limited for sure, but any professional game over 20 years old counts, so those 17 games he played burn the first year of his exemption. Then these past two years tick off the last two years of his waiver exemption. That leaves 11-12 as his first year eligible for waivers. It seems so sudden but it's because of how old he signed his ELC unfortunately.

Also, I took this info from here http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl Great explanation so you don't have to try to sift through the CBA

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 08-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Rob Scuderi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Thanks for the clarifications. I figured it had something to do with his age, if true. If Joe Vitale is claimed on waivers, I will.... I.....

...this ****ing blows. With Letestu and Jeffrey in there (almost guaranteed) and Asham getting re-signed I don't think he'll make the team out of camp.

This team obviously does not value versatility.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Thanks for the clarifications. I figured it had something to do with his age, if true. If Joe Vitale is claimed on waivers, I will.... I.....

...this ****ing blows. With Letestu and Jeffrey in there (almost guaranteed) and Asham getting re-signed I don't think he'll make the team out of camp.

This team obviously does not value versatility.
I think you're missing the big picture here. The moment the Shero realized Vitale would have to pass thru waivers this year, he knew he'd have to find a way to keep him in Pittsburgh. Suddenly, we hear that Sid has had "setbacks", and noone is willing to commit to him being ready to start the season.

It's just crazy enough to be true. Or head-shakingly obvious BS.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
I think you're missing the big picture here. The moment the Shero realized Vitale would have to pass thru waivers this year, he knew he'd have to find a way to keep him in Pittsburgh. Suddenly, we hear that Sid has had "setbacks", and noone is willing to commit to him being ready to start the season.

It's just crazy enough to be true. Or head-shakingly obvious BS.

Yah I could see him making the team if Sid remains on IR, but even that's not a guarantee.

Geno
Gronk
Jeffrey
Letestu

So he'd be 5th on the C depth even then, unless he whoops ass during Camp and takes the #4 spot (not inconceivable). I fo find it impossible to believe we'd do Staalkin on more than a random shift basis with Sid out, so that option (which would free up another spot) is out.

And there are at least 3 guys ahead of him on RW depth (Sullivan, TK, Asham), maybe more if Neal switches over and Tangradi makes the team. Maybe he will end up on LW after all.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Freeptop

I like Vitale as a prospect, and think he's got a future at a fourth liner in the NHL, but why do people think he would get claimed off of waivers? Yeah, he had a good faceoff percentage... and that was about it. Plus, the sample size is rather small (only 9 games in the NHL). He didn't look out of place, but he didn't really stand out, either.

I'd like to know - what makes Vitale likely to be claimed off of waivers? I'm not saying that sarcastically, I genuinely want to be educated. From what I've seen, every team in the League has someone comparable to Vitale already, so what am I missing?

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:50 PM
JTG

And isn't the rule that if you claim someone off waivers, they have to be in the NHL?

Old
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And isn't the rule that if you claim someone off waivers, they have to be in the NHL?
Yep. Otherwise when they're demoted, their original team gets first crack at them a la Chris Bourque when we sent him down.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
JTG

Oh I didn't know the original team got first crack. I thought the rule was that only the original team could send him down to the minors. Good to know.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Oh I didn't know the original team got first crack. I thought the rule was that only the original team could send him down to the minors. Good to know.
IIRC, anyway.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:43 PM
JTG

I like your rule better

Old
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie