HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Bradley on Semin & the Caps

Old
08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
third man in

vCash: 500
All I know is Bruce better get tougher on discipline this year or he will be gone.

Semin is a gamble in the playoffs. At 75% he is still a 1st line talent. At his worst he is a liability. Which Semin will show up though? Kuz can't take his place fast enough in my mind. Kuz from what I can see has that drive Semin is missing.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Brave Sir Robin

It also bugs me that Brads shifts the blame to the top guys, when our 4th line of Hendricks-Gordon-Bradley combined for exactly 0 pts in the postseason. I don't expect PPG performances, but is it too much to ask for 1 goal in 9 games?

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

here's the interview.... hope you can deal with some of our annoying radio guys

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....95467&comments

dmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Something tells me Backstrom was one of the names Bradely didn't want to say.
clearly so. certainly from this past season. i am wondering who he was thinking should have been getting his ice time instead. i think green was on his list and ovechkin and possibly laich.

btw...chimera is not a favorite here. at least from my reading he is right there with schultz below semin of those most want off the team.

Edit: Listened to that interview. It comes across a bit different hearing Brads actually saying what he said.
He called out Semin. He then called out players missing practice over questionable injuries. He then seemed to be saying that bottom lineup guys when they are playing well need to be given the ice time of the prime players that are not performing. This seems to be about his station in life and less about calling out specific capitals teammates.

He seems to back up the idea that Ov wants to win on the ice but not so much off the ice and that he needs to grow up. I am not sure where Backstrom falls into this as he never skips out on skating unless its serious.

Last edited by txpd: 08-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:49 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

<-----

This interview boils down to leadership. Or lack thereof. You can love a guy personally. He can be a great tactician. But if you don't make the tough decisions. If you can't sacrifice some for the good of all. If you don't put your mission before your men. Then you can't lead.

Let's just see how the new attitude by GMGM (and hopefully BB) and the players (as quoted by Laich/Carlson). Play out.

However this interview just re-affirms what many of us BB critics and Semin critics already knew. And no 66 winning % in regular season is going to change the qualities needed to get this core crew over the top.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
I agree. The guy gets something of a pass for being young and still figuring out proper work habits, but he looked guilty as hell of improper preparation for much of last season, playoffs included. By contrast, Semin's no kid anymore and Bradley named names there.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:53 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
I'd bet money on it.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Regarding merit-based ice-time, I don't think there were many players worthy of a bump up last spring. Chimera maybe...the whole third line had a good run against the Rangers. The fourth line, Bradley included, was dreadful in the playoffs.

Boudreau must find a way to do more with the improved depth forwards that have been added. There's no excusing not having a single forward line executing at a strong level in a playoff series. He can jumble the combinations all he wants but it comes down to the team concept being stronger offensively.

Backstrom doesn't have the track record of underwhelming to warrant singling out that Semin has.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I agree. The guy gets something of a pass for being young and still figuring out proper work habits, but he looked guilty as hell of improper preparation for much of last season, playoffs included. By contrast, Semin's no kid anymore and Bradley named names there.
Agreed.

Plus:
-Semin's talent, and not living up to it, is not a shock to the world. Its has several years of pattern.
-The other guy's... Ovi, Backstrom, etc... not a pattern. You hope its a one off year.

I don't think he's talking about Green. If one thing you can say about Green, is the dude tried like hell this year. Took many many shots for the team in regular season and playoffs. Just still makes some bad decisions.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
txpd

i dont take what bradley said as strictly this past season. this might explain his answers a little better when in past playoffs the 4th line was providing offense. he might not have been talking about green as he seemed to be concentrating on the forwards.

its also easy to say that bradley was talking about lack of leadership and then conclude he was talking about boudreau. he likely was also talking about the #1 in the room, #8, and the #2 in the room, #19.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I don't think he's talking about Green. If one thing you can say about Green, is the dude tried like hell this year. Took many many shots for the team in regular season and playoffs. Just still makes some bad decisions.
Yeah... I've given Green grief at times before, but all he was guilty of last year was succumbing to his bones of balsa wood. He grabbed his sack well enough. He just wasn't at tip top health, a recurring theme unfortunately, particularly in the playoffs.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM
txpd

well...something fresh to watch vogel dance around on caps report

Old
08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Too bad he never said any of this while he was with the team. Might've been just what they needed.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...something fresh to watch vogel dance around on caps report
First thing I thought of when starting to see that Bradley quotes pop up on twitter, lol.

08-17-2011, 11:30 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Boudreau must find a way to do more with the improved depth forwards that have been added. There's no excusing not having a single forward line executing at a strong level in a playoff series. He can jumble the combinations all he wants but it comes down to the team concept being stronger offensively.
Is this just a fancy way of saying BB is responsible for making sure the team is playing well? Because I have no idea what "the team concept being stronger offensively" means otherwise.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It's a bit ironic that the locker room jokester is commenting on the room being too non-chalent .

I'm sure the locker room would have been serious enough for Bradley if the dollars were there.
there is a difference between nonchalant, and loose.

bradleys of the league help keep lockerrooms loose....floating, enigmatic, indifferent players make a lockerroom nonchalant.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

No knowing Semin personally (naturally) my take on him is that he is just one of those strange cats personality wise. I think most of us have played organized team sports in our life and there are just those players that are like uber talented but are quiet and don't engage in team comaraderie. He's always been streaky scoring wise since he was a rookie...Godmode will kick in for a couple of weeks and then it turns off. This is most likely his last year with the caps anyways.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 250
What's best about Vogel's predictable attempt to convince everyone that what Bradley said wasn't a big deal via Twitter is his backhanded verification of it:

VogsCaps
I know he is. Doesn't mean Brads is wrong, tho. @dchesnokov: Sasha is a good kid. And I am saying it not because I am Russian.
58 minutes ago

So, this isn't a big deal, even though it's correct?

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Even more amusing... Chesnokov backing a Russian player, but not just because they're both Russian, is total BS.

In a head to head between a Russian and a non-Russian, when was the last time Chesnokov took the non-Russian's side?

Chesnokov knows on which side his bread is buttered. It's sensible enough, but does it produce a betrayed bias from time to time? Absolutely.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
What's best about Vogel's predictable attempt to convince everyone that what Bradley said wasn't a big deal via Twitter is his backhanded verification of it:

VogsCaps
I know he is. Doesn't mean Brads is wrong, tho. @dchesnokov: Sasha is a good kid. And I am saying it not because I am Russian.
58 minutes ago

It's only not a big deal because we already knew everything he said.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

VogsCaps
58 minutes ago

Agree with Bure, it's not a big deal because everyone knew it already. We're all well aware of Semin's warts.

It'd be a big deal to me if he'd said it about someone like Backstrom or Ovechkin. That would be some kind of revelation.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Agree with Bure, it's not a big deal because everyone knew it already. We're all well aware of Semin's warts.

It'd be a big deal to me if he'd said it about someone like Backstrom or Ovechkin. That would be some kind of revelation.
What he said about Ovi not taking care of himself is certainly cause for concern. Definitely needs to be remedied. Also, he reinforced the idea that Bruce refuses to hold players accountable and plays favorites and that the team was both nonchalant and undisciplined. Quite a mouthful.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I would love to hear what the players' response to these comments are, especially Semin's...
"Sorry I don't speak any English"

"But you just did"

"No I didn't."

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:44 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Even more amusing... Chesnokov backing a Russian player, but not just because they're both Russian, is total BS.

In a head to head between a Russian and a non-Russian, when was the last time Chesnokov took the non-Russian's side?

Chesnokov knows on which side his bread is buttered. It's sensible enough, but does it produce a betrayed bias from time to time? Absolutely.
Frakking this..so obvious SlavaM. does the same thing.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
its my view that he did say similar about both ovechkin and backstrom. he said ovechkin is not as prepared to play as he should be and while his heart is in the right place he needs to grow up if he wants to be successful. he further complained about players missing practice which while he did not name Ov here, we know this is Ov's MO. He did not mention Backstrom by name, but only because he likes him. My guess if he had been asked specifically about Backstrom his answer might have been very similar to how he answered the Ov question.