HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Matt Bradley on Semin & the Caps

Old
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
third man in

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codependent View Post
What he said about Ovi not taking care of himself is certainly cause for concern. Definitely needs to be remedied. Also, he reinforced the idea that Bruce refuses to hold players accountable and plays favorites and that the team was both nonchalant and undisciplined. Quite a mouthful.
This has been obvious to anyone following the team since Bruce's arrival. Down by a goal in October? Let's play Ovie for 6 minutes straight at D to finish the game. I mean it's not working on the PP let's give it shot with a tired bunch 5 vs 5.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
its also easy to say that bradley was talking about lack of leadership and then conclude he was talking about boudreau. he likely was also talking about the #1 in the room, #8, and the #2 in the room, #19.
BB is responsible for everything that goes on in the room. So whether he's talking about ice time, "fake" injuries, Semin not reaching potential, people's commitment, etc... It all goes back to the coach and the culture.

If you don't view it that way. Then I believe this issue is where a lot of us diverge on the topic of coaching.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
its my view that he did say similar about both ovechkin and backstrom. he said ovechkin is not as prepared to play as he should be and while his heart is in the right place he needs to grow up if he wants to be successful. he further complained about players missing practice which while he did not name Ov here, we know this is Ov's MO. He did not mention Backstrom by name, but only because he likes him. My guess if he had been asked specifically about Backstrom his answer might have been very similar to how he answered the Ov question.
He alluded to Ovi's party habits and diet. Not his actual play or commitment to preparing for opponents. He gave him an A+ for everything on the ice and maybe a D- for everything off the ice.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
txpd

my next question would be what do you think the impact of leadership among the players is. my view is that you have to have both. ive felt the caps were lacking enough veteran precense for a long time. the impact of fedorov doesnt prove the lack of coaching. it proves the importance of veteran leadership or leadership of the players, for the players.

ovechkin is the captain. if he's not prepared to play, that could be blamed on boudreau or mcphee or leonsis, but in the end its ovechkin's responsibility. crosby, god this is going to hurt to type, crosby stepped up as a leader on his squad playing for a coach he wouldnt listen to. he did it on his own.

does boudreau enable ovechkin's lazy off season habits or skipping practice or whatever? maybe. same with backstrom. reality is that a change in coaching might very well have no effect on that situation because in the end the player has to do it himself.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
He alluded to Ovi's party habits and diet. Not his actual play or commitment to preparing for opponents. He gave him an A+ for everything on the ice and maybe a D- for everything off the ice.
i think you are passing right over the value of the statement and misreading what he said. he said that ov doesnt take care of himself like he should and needs to grow up. he didnt say anything about the quality of his play. he spoke to the quality of his effort when playing and his desire to win over individual rewards.

what he was saying was that ov was not always the best player that he could be because he was not always properly prepared to play. he certainly would try hard when he played but that his conditioning and preperation would let him down and the team.

the D off the ice was dragging his A+ effort down to a B- game.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
You are reading a lot more into that quote than you should.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
You are reading a lot more into that quote than you should.
Really? Because I think we all saw the effects of poor conditioning and off-ice habits last year on Ovechkin and Backstrom. Not saying that was the only thing, but...

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:14 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Really? Because I think we all saw the effects of poor conditioning and off-ice habits last year on Ovechkin and Backstrom. Not saying that was the only thing, but...
You act like you ****ing know.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yes, really. You don't say "he's all win" "I never worry about Ovie" "he's an all in guy" etc etc if the guy is habitually out of shape and over-partying throughout the entire season. That's not an "all in guy".

You say that about a guy who could do more during the offseason to stay in elite shape and come in to camp ready to kill, but instead shows up a little out of shape and is forced to play his way into shape. In other words, exactly what we have all known for years-- his insistance on returning to Moscow vs. staying here and slaving away in the gym holds him back a bit.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You act like you ****ing know.
I know that it was said that both had conditioning problems coming into the season. I know that both had quite spectacularly bad years. And I know exactly what a 5-10 pound difference translates to on the ice. Is there something else I'm supposed to know that I don't?

Old
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
txpd

i dont entirely read it that way. i am certainly pro ov, but bradley doesnt bring this up if it has little to no effect. lets be honest. he also brought up players skipping practice because of questionable injuries. who is the team leader in skipped practices?

bradley certainly did say that ovechkin gives all he has, but if the way he takes care of himself limits what he has to bring, it limits the team. if it didnt, then there would be no reason to bring this up. remember that bradley is answering this question in compare to semin who he says doesnt show up sometimes. bradley is saying that semin doesnt show up. ovechkin does show up everytime, but what he shows up with could be improved by being more mature and professional.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:30 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Yes, really. You don't say "he's all win" "I never worry about Ovie" "he's an all in guy" etc etc if the guy is habitually out of shape and over-partying throughout the entire season. That's not an "all in guy".

You say that about a guy who could do more during the offseason to stay in elite shape and come in to camp ready to kill, but instead shows up a little out of shape and is forced to play his way into shape. In other words, exactly what we have all known for years-- his insistance on returning to Moscow vs. staying here and slaving away in the gym holds him back a bit.
That's fair. However, it's also fair to note that being out of shape early and having that affect his game may have had an impact on his confidence or approach (on-ice) well after he got back into shape. That could have happened (but pure speculation as to whether it did or not).

Old
08-17-2011, 01:41 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Players actions are an extension of how they are led, molded, etc.

100% agree about vet leadership. Putting that garbage one the ice around ovi in 2005-2007 was stupid IMHO. There should have been some balance between cheap, losing, and not cheap-losers.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
my next question would be what do you think the impact of leadership among the players is. my view is that you have to have both. ive felt the caps were lacking enough veteran precense for a long time. the impact of fedorov doesnt prove the lack of coaching. it proves the importance of veteran leadership or leadership of the players, for the players.
Amen. The team responds so well to the addition of veteran players. This is all on Mcphee. It's really annoying that the only good veteran we've ever had with this group is knuble.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:05 PM
EroCaps

I'm not sure how to respond to these startling revelations.

Semin doesn't care and it poisons the team? Boudreau plays him regardless? The lockerroom is too non-chalant? Ovechkin means well but needs to take better care of himself?

This **** has been going on for years and it's what's held them back.

Trade Semin and Fire Boudreau has become so obvious that GMGM has gotten the "stink" on him for his lack of action.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Is this just a fancy way of saying BB is responsible for making sure the team is playing well? Because I have no idea what "the team concept being stronger offensively" means otherwise.
It means "the team concept being stronger offensively." ...

Stronger, more prominent. Relying less on individualism than established chemistry, reliable habits and work ethic up and down the lineup. A better grasp of fundamentals should help them overcome adversity. Semin has proven to not be able to come close to carrying a line in the playoffs and in the absence once again of significant second-line fortifications they're going to need better habits overall if they're going far this year.

wyshynski: Spoke to Boudreau about Bradley. Asked about MB's claim he overplays stars: “Oh yeah? Oh well … it’s his opinion.” No comment after that.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Matt Bradley thinks Matt Bradley deserved more ice time.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:10 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It means "the team concept being stronger offensively." ...

Stronger, more prominent. Relying less on individualism than established chemistry, reliable habits and work ethic up and down the lineup. A better grasp of fundamentals should help them overcome adversity. Semin has proven to not be able to come close to carrying a line in the playoffs and in the absence once again of significant second-line fortifications they're going to need better habits overall if they're going far this year.

wyshynski: Spoke to Boudreau about Bradley. Asked about MB's claim he overplays stars: Oh yeah? Oh well its his opinion. No comment after that.
Boudreau never accepts fault. So he and his team stagnate and either don't learn their lessons or are 2 years late learning them.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
txpd

i think this is something that can't be minimized. good teams have good veteran leadership. the coach has his effect, but they and the players will both tell you that he spends almost no time in the room and that players hold other players accountable far better than any coach can.

seems to me that mcphee finally realized with his changes last season. wideman stays from that group and playoff performers like brouwer, ward and hamrlik(97 playoff games) are added. the fact is that these players come to influence ovechkin and backstrom and laich and johansson and green and carlson not to outplay them.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Hendricks took yer job.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
i certainly did notice that brads was suggesting that maybe ov should sit and watch chimmer showing him how its done in the playoffs when 8's not going right and chimera is stirring it up a bit.

on the other hand how many nhl coaches would actually do that? tortarella? i can hear it now...."why did you bench ovechkin in the 3rd period?...what did ya say brooksie....ya *** punk"

Old
08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:

ovechkin is the captain. if he's not prepared to play, that could be blamed on boudreau or mcphee or leonsis, but in the end its ovechkin's responsibility. crosby, god this is going to hurt to type, crosby stepped up as a leader on his squad playing for a coach he wouldnt listen to. he did it on his own.

does boudreau enable ovechkin's lazy off season habits or skipping practice or whatever? maybe. same with backstrom. reality is that a change in coaching might very well have no effect on that situation because in the end the player has to do it himself.
This was discussed already in regards to BB's as the coach. A lot of people on here put to much on BB's and his coaching staff. The good teams have a strong head coach, but a stronger captain and assitant captains. Its even more important in professional sports when you have the majority of the players making more money than the entire coaching staff. Its easy for a player like Semin to ignore what comes out of BB's mouth, but when it comes from his best buddy from the motherland, who also happens to be the Captain and can kick his ass, words of encouragment take on more meaning.

The Caps will go as far as OV the Captain will take them. After reading the transcript of the Bradley interview, OV has more work to do to take this team to the Cup.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:50 PM
TRASHCAT

Liking the folks who were mourning the loss of him 15 min ago and now trashing him because he spoke his mind.

Wasnt exactly going to print my tickets for the stanley cup parade anyway. Getting confirmation on what you already suspected in this case is rather depressing.

Stay angry?

New team motto:

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Atlas

There have been ultra talented head cases like Semin in the past: Peter Klima, Al Iafrate, A. Yashin, Jagr, Alex Volchkov...lots of guys. Some of these guys can be coached/punished into an all-star. Some can't.

I personally think Semin can be coached into a player that helps win a Cup. I wouldn't bet my life on it but I still believe it.

As for Brads, I will buy him beers forever for standing up for Ovie against Downie the other year.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Coaches have a lot of buttons to push. Unless the only thing the player cares about is paycheck.
In that case, it's up to the gm to handle the situation.

The continual signing of the player in question means they either don't value the distraction or he's not one to them... Which proves the point of managments vacuum of leadership.