HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Uncle Stan spoke with Torts

Old
08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Kenny Albert is great on the radio.

But not sure how he would do on TV, he filled in for Sam one night a couple years ago, and he wasn't the same.

TV and radio are different animals. On radio you have to paint a visual. On TV you have to let the camera tell the story, I think he had a little trouble holding back.

I love his voice, though. And Maloney as his color commentary.

Eventually they will have to replace Sam on TV. I just pray its not Giannone, who puts me to sleep his voice in play by play is so boring.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Doc left the Devils for NBC exclusively.

So he's not a replacement option. He isn't getting any younger, either.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Howie is an Island guy. Does the Mets games on radio, too.

La Greca does some Rangers games on radio.

Should be really interesting (and sad) when the time comes for a new play by play on MSG.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Rangers1135

I can't stand Emrick. He has the most annoying voice.

1. He has an annoying voice.

2. He gets too excited for no reason.

3. He says stupid thing like "knife" and "waffleboard".

4. He sounds like a bird.

He knows his Hockey though.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Howie is an Island guy.
Howie is also probably the biggest Rangers fan employed by MSG aside from Maloney.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Only have time to watch/listen locally and Mike Emrick, Howie Rose, and Kenny Albert are all worlds better.

I'll give Sam the benefit of the doubt because hes getting older and MSG is probably the toughest place to call a game due to the proximity of the TV studio, but its been pretty cringeworthy since JD left.
JD was great in the beginning and terrible by the time he left. Certain players, like Messier, could have clubbed one of his teammates, and JD would have commented about the weather, rather than acknowledge it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1135 View Post

Agreed 100%

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:

On #3, you left out "paraphernalia". He can't simply say the goalie makes a save or whatever. A weak shot will come in and the goalie will eat it up and freeze it and you hear "...into Lundqvist's paraphernalia". Really Doc? Really? You'd think he was Walt Frazier Jr. with the way he uses his vocabulary.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
JD was great in the beginning and terrible by the time he left. Certain players, like Messier, could have clubbed one of his teammates, and JD would have commented about the weather, rather than acknowledge it.
I agree with that. Its funny, there were rumors his last few years here that he was in the running for a front office job with the Rangers - I wonder if he was giving some downright terrible teams a pass because of that.

But throughout their entire time together, Sam and JD had a very good on-air relationship - you could tell they were friends when the cameras went off. Its pretty much the complete opposite of Sam and Joe.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think he is by far the best hockey announcer, and one of the best announcers in professional sports. He makes the broadcast interesting with his quirks and almost never misses a play during the fastest game on earth.

Just have a feeling that the people who "cant stand Emrick" are looking at him through Devil-hater glasses.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

You don't have to like his voice but he is arguably the greatest play by play guy out there. If I was making a list of the all time greatest, Doc would be on the list along with Marv Albert, Marty Glickman, Vin Scully,
Dan Kelly, and Danny Galivan. I'm sure that I'm leaving some names off my list but the point is that Doc Emrick is that good!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
The Mouth

The whole broadcast team is an archaic bald happy shiny people broadcast that never critiques players or coaches in the slightest.

Sam Rosen spends more time editorializing and speaking about other subjects during the game (mostly pumping up the other team ), he simply doesn't call the game anymore. He is out of touch. Micheletti is absurdly horrible, vanilla and completely unfunny.

This show is an embarrassing telecast for any true hockey fan in 2011.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
The whole broadcast team is an archaic bald happy shiny people broadcast that never critiques players or coaches in the slightest.

Sam Rosen spends more time editorializing and speaking about other subjects during the game (mostly pumping up the other team ), he simply doesn't call the game anymore. He is out of touch. Micheletti is absurdly horrible, vanilla and completely unfunny.

This show is an embarrassing telecast for any true hockey fan in 2011.
The pandering isnt the fault of the broadcast team, but moreso the insidious culture at MSG. Marv Albert got fired for criticizing the Knicks - what else do you need to know?

If I had a nice job calling hockey for a living, I wouldnt do/say anything to jeopardize that.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
We're spoiled here. Listen to other broadcast teams outside of the NY area. Or try to listen other broadcast teams outside of the NY area I should say.

08-17-2011, 02:20 PM
chosen

Quote:
Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think he is by far the best hockey announcer, and one of the best announcers in professional sports. He makes the broadcast interesting with his quirks and almost never misses a play during the fastest game on earth.

Just have a feeling that the people who "cant stand Emrick" are looking at him through Devil-hater glasses.
My turn to agree with you. Emrick is the best in the business, at present. Not surprised some biased Rangers fans would hate him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I didn't like Emrick years back, but I like him now as he grew on me... He made the Vancouver/Boston broadcasts a treat... "OH WHAT CHAOS!"

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Errick just got inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame, btw.

Old
08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
My turn to agree with you. Emrick is the best in the business, at present. Not surprised some biased Rangers fans would hate him.
There's another alternative. You can not like Emrick and not be biased

I find his voice a bit shrill, and yeah, the alliterations get on my nerves. I also am not a fan of when announcers try to pump a game up beyond what it is. He'll announce a dead game like it's game 7 of the cup sometimes, and I'm not big on that. When it is a good game though, I tend to like the excitement in his voice. It's just gotta match the action. I usually enjoy him during the playoffs

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Not a fan of Emrick. He knows his ****, absolutely, but his voice is grating.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:34 PM
The Mouth

The pandering as you stated of course is in most part is because of the MSG culture. You are dead on about that.

But the fact the Rangers are rarely talked about in depth during games such as players backgrounds, tendencies, minor league and prospect talk is horrible.

For example last year the only interesting fact last year out from a MSG telecast is that I found out Brian Boyle likes Doritos.

Year after Year we are treated to lauding of every opposing team the Rangers play no matter how dismal they are.

For Example : The Islander's haven't won in 20 games but the coaches are pleased with their offense and competitiveness. Josh Bailey has become a real player for this team.

The ranger broadcast team is just an extension of both teams public relations departments. They deliver no insight and frankly Sam cant keep up with the pace of the game anymore. he barely can call the last last pass before a goal is scored.

Another pet peeve is that you will never hear about a Rangers players pre-pro career unless he has played at a U.S college. because frankly they don't do their homework and probably have never watched an ohl/whl game.

The Staal vs.Staal theme has run out of gas and they continue to make it a feature every time Marc suits up against one of his brothers.

These guys mail it in every night.

Quote:
The pandering isnt the fault of the broadcast team, but moreso the insidious culture at MSG. Marv Albert got fired for criticizing the Knicks - what else do you need to know?

If I had a nice job calling hockey for a living, I wouldnt do/say anything to jeopardize that.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I can listen to Doc, who is pretty good.

But Doc and Pierre competing for airtime is not. Pierre's constant intrusions darn near ruined the stanley cup playoffs for me.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post

Another pet peeve is that you will never hear about a Rangers players pre-pro career unless he has played at a U.S college. because frankly they don't do their homework and probably have never watched an ohl/whl game.
This isn't just MSG, ever watch a game on NBC? Doc goes out of his way to mention where a player went to college if he was an NCAA player (i.e. "passes to Brian Boyle the Boston College product"), but I have never once heard him or anyone for that matter mention a player's junior team if they were a CHL player. It's a US thing. Most people in the US don't/won't be interested in the fact that certain player played for Moose Jaw or Sudbury because that means nothing to them. I'm not saying it's right but it's just how it is.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kenny Albert is great on the radio.

But not sure how he would do on TV, he filled in for Sam one night a couple years ago, and he wasn't the same

TV and radio are different animals. On radio you have to paint a visual. On TV you have to let the camera tell the story, I think he had a little trouble holding back.

I love his voice, though. And Maloney as his color commentary.

Eventually they will have to replace Sam on TV. I just pray its not Giannone, who puts me to sleep his voice in play by play is so boring.
The only thing good about Kenny Albert is his last name. He couldn't hold Howie Rose's jockstrap.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Rangers should have pulled Billy Jaffe into their broadcast, at least Jaffe is a hockey guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I can listen to Doc, who is pretty good.

But Doc and Pierre competing for airtime is not. Pierre's constant intrusions darn near ruined the stanley cup playoffs for me.
Pierre is an arrogant and condescending windbag. If you've ever had the misfortune of listening to him while calling a Jr. tournament that was two lesser teams all he does is insult them all game, it is absolutely horrible. Saying things like "what a fine specimen of hockey this is" really, elitist, sarcastically insulting stuff, just horrible...all game long, totally uncalled for. Sickening to listen to during a WJC tournament.

Last edited by vipernsx: 08-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:51 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Every Stan article reads like a manifesto.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote