HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG HD on FiOS?

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How big is your TV? If I didn't have a 112" screen I would certainly consider switching to FIOS...but there's no way an upconverted SD image would be acceptable for me.
My brother has a 50 inch Plasma and Fios and doesn't and the MSG HD doesn't come close to true HD.

If wherever your moving allows a dish get DirecTV and use an out of NY address for the billing sign up for Center Ice and you'll get 99% of the MSG games in HD

Old
05-08-2011, 05:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
My brother has a 50 inch Plasma and Fios and doesn't and the MSG HD doesn't come close to true HD.
Does the picture quality look comparable to this?

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=282

If not, he should adjust his cable box settings because some users do not always have them properly configured to upscale the video SD video feeds, Ask HFBoard user Jonathan.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Does the picture quality look comparable to this?

If not, he should adjust his cable box settings because some users do not always have them properly configured to upscale the video SD video feeds, Ask HFBoard user Jonathan.
It's been a few months since I've made a trip to NYC and saw it, but as soon as he turned it on it was nothing like I see on DirecTV in HD and we have the same TV. I'll have him check his settings thanks for the tip.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
It's been a few months since I've made a trip to NYC and saw it, but as soon as he turned it on it was nothing like I see on DirecTV in HD and we have the same TV. I'll have him check his settings thanks for the tip.
No problem, here are the settings that are relevant:

Quote:
Go into your Menu settings > Video settings:

Video Format - Mine is set to 720P 16:9 (note that my TV is only 720P max so that's what I have it set to)
SD Override - Set to 480P

I'm using one of the gray Motorola boxes....
If his SD channels aren't pretty good picture quality and displayed in widescreen format, then that might be the issue. A good channel to test on is Channel 127 (History International) which does not have an HD equivalent feed.

Old
05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
1940rip

Yeah, set it to 480p. Looks pretty good and isn't unnaturally "stretched". To tell you the truth, my MSG SD @ 480p on my Samsung doesn't look much worse than my brother in law's MSG HD @ 1080i on his Vizio.

Regarding the suit between Verizon and Cablevision: Even if Cablevision loses the appeal, Verizon will still only have won the right to license the content...they still will need to negotiate a price. You know Dolan will try to gouge them. Just a guess, but I wouldn't hold my breath for MSG HD on FIOs anytime next year.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Sorry mods for bumping an older thread but has there been any updates re: the status of an MSG HD feed on FiOS?

My cable bill is officially over $200 a month (includes phone & Internet) and Verizon is offering the same plan for ~$85/month.

Incidentally, the only thing stopping me is my Rangers in HD. Priorities, you know.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Sorry mods for bumping an older thread but has there been any updates re: the status of an MSG HD feed on FiOS?

My cable bill is officially over $200 a month (includes phone & Internet) and Verizon is offering the same plan for ~$85/month.

Incidentally, the only thing stopping me is my Rangers in HD. Priorities, you know.
Make the switch, Fios>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cablevision, the SD telecast on Fios isn't even that far behind Cablevisions HD broadcast so you really wouldn't even notice either.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Make the switch, Fios>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cablevision, the SD telecast on Fios isn't even that far behind Cablevisions HD broadcast so you really wouldn't even notice either.
Bingo

Old
08-17-2011, 02:58 PM
alkurtz

Just had a FIOS salesperson at my door and he tried to convince me that FIOS now has MSG HD. I think he is full of crap. Their Prime, Extreme, and Ultimate HD package for regional sports lists only an SD MSG lineup but specifies dedicated HD for SNY and YES. I don't believe this guy for a second and I know if it were available, the HF boards would be all over it. I have Comcast and would switch in a sec FIOS really had MSG HD. Sounds like a con job, right?

Old
08-17-2011, 03:08 PM
redbranch

as far as I know, I do not have MSG HD on FIOS.

I'll agree to a point, that Fios SD broadcast of MSG doesn't look terribly bad compared to Cablevision's HD. But it pales in comparison to Fios's HD broadcasts of hockey on NBC and Versus

Old
08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Since we're discussing cable here...I have TWC in Bay Ridge, and I've had some really annoying issues with it. I don't seem to see any kind of pattern here, but some channels would start flashing on and off. So let's say I'm watching MSG. You'll see video and audio, then the video will disappear for a second or two, then it'll come back on. Sometimes it would only happen once every 10-20 seconds, sometimes it would happen constantly. Flash on, flash off. The audio would remain.

This was really annoying last season and screwed up several of my Ranger game DVRs. I finally went and got a new box a few weeks ago, but I think I've seen it happening again. It's definitely not my TV, which is relatively new and works fantastic with my computer hook up, XBOX, etc.

Sometimes, a bunch of seemingly random channels (and not just HD channels, either) will just all go black. You still see the TWC interface crap, and the guide, but the rest of the screen is just black.

Anyone have this kinda problem? When FiOs gets MSG HD, I'm switching.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Not really, plus it is not in wide screen.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Definitely not. Had FIOS for a while, watching the Rangers on SD was painful. Sure the SD quality is better than CV's SD quality, but to compare CV HD to FIOS SD is laughable.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Since we're discussing cable here...I have TWC in Bay Ridge, and I've had some really annoying issues with it. I don't seem to see any kind of pattern here, but some channels would start flashing on and off. So let's say I'm watching MSG. You'll see video and audio, then the video will disappear for a second or two, then it'll come back on. Sometimes it would only happen once every 10-20 seconds, sometimes it would happen constantly. Flash on, flash off. The audio would remain.

This was really annoying last season and screwed up several of my Ranger game DVRs. I finally went and got a new box a few weeks ago, but I think I've seen it happening again. It's definitely not my TV, which is relatively new and works fantastic with my computer hook up, XBOX, etc.

Sometimes, a bunch of seemingly random channels (and not just HD channels, either) will just all go black. You still see the TWC interface crap, and the guide, but the rest of the screen is just black.

Anyone have this kinda problem? When FiOs gets MSG HD, I'm switching.
When we had Cablevision, we would get random channel blackouts... A particular channel would come in 1 week, but be out the next... It was quite annoying... At first I assumed it was an issue with our cableboxes or our installation, but I read the same reports of issues from other CV subscribers on avsforum.com/ ... We also would get constant audio drop-outs on CBS channel all the time.

I'm guessing your issues are related to the TWC's network being insufficient in your area... Perhaps the network volume capacity in your area is being overloaded, causing the signal to drop to your location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Not really, plus it is not in wide screen.
Mine is in wide-screen, and it's upscaled. If you have FiOS you need to check your cablebox settings.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
bubba5

Quote:

Mine is in wide-screen, and it's upscaled. If you have FiOS you need to check your cablebox settings.
You need to check that, because unless MSG says it broadcasts in widescreen, like FOX does, (which I am pretty sure MSG does not), then all you have is a stretched out picture in SD to fit your widescreen.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Don't get anything installed until the strike is over. If you try to get it installed now you'll have some moron scabs come to your house who take 3 hours to find a dial tone.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Don't get anything installed until the strike is over. If you try to get it installed now you'll have some moron scabs come to your house who take 3 hours to find a dial tone.
LOL, I worked with Verizon line crews as a flagger (contractor) over summers while I was getting my electrical engineering degree, and I have never seen a lazier group of employees in my life. A couple of the old-school crews were decent, hard workers, but the overwhelming majority were worthless.

They would start at 7, pack up the truck for the day by 730, leave the garage and take breakfast until 9, take another hour to get to the job site, start working at 1030, go to lunch at 1130, come back at 1, work until 2, then pack up and head back to the garage. This is not an exaggeration.

I'll take the scab any day. For people who make $90k a year with ridiculous benefits, and don't even need a college degree, I was amazed at the laziness and apathy.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:55 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
LOL, I worked with Verizon line crews as a flagger (contractor) over summers while I was getting my electrical engineering degree, and I have never seen a lazier group of employees in my life. A couple of the old-school crews were decent, hard workers, but the overwhelming majority were worthless.

They would start at 7, pack up the truck for the day by 730, leave the garage and take breakfast until 9, take another hour to get to the job site, start working at 1030, go to lunch at 1130, come back at 1, work until 2, then pack up and head back to the garage. This is not an exaggeration.

I'll take the scab any day. For people who make $90k a year with ridiculous benefits, and don't even need a college degree, I was amazed at the laziness and apathy.
Way to go extremely off-topic. We get it. You don't like unions. Next.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Way to go extremely off-topic. We get it. You don't like unions. Next.
I belong to a union myself, genius.

I just despise how they protect lazy, useless employees. And in the case of Verizon, I don't think the scab could possibly be any worse than the morons on strike right now.

Next.

Old
08-17-2011, 06:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
You need to check that, because unless MSG says it broadcasts in widescreen, like FOX does, (which I am pretty sure MSG does not), then all you have is a stretched out picture in SD to fit your widescreen.
My TV is not doing the stretching, so it doesn't look super-distorted... The Verizon cablebox is upscaling the 4:3 format SD signal to 16:9 widescreen format, and doing a pretty damn good job.... Here are images I took with my cell phone from last season:

Not too shabby.

Old
08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
I belong to a union myself, genius.

I just despise how they protect lazy, useless employees. And in the case of Verizon, I don't think the scab could possibly be any worse than the morons on strike right now.

Next.
I don't care if you belong to a union, Einstein. You're coming across as angry and resentful and this isn't the place and or thread for it. And for the record, yeah, the scabs could be worse. I've had both CWA and non-CWA here and the "scabs", as you say, are no bargain. They left here and I had to basically re-wire everything they touched. BTW, I'm no CWA fan. I'm IBEW and we compete with them, so I gain nothing for giving them credit.

Old
08-17-2011, 06:25 PM
bubba5

Quote:
My TV is not doing the stretching, so it doesn't look super-distorted... The Verizon cablebox is upscaling the 4:3 format SD signal to 16:9 widescreen format, and doing a pretty damn good job.... Here are images I took with my cell phone from last season:

Not too shabby.
Hate to be break the news to you, but your pictures prove it is not widescreen format. There would be much more space on the left and right, you can tell because the score at the top with the MSG goes almost to the edge of both sides, where if it was true widescreen, there would be a lot of space from the MSG on the left to the left edge of the screen and the Toyota and the right edge of the screen.

Old
08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
coolbean04

I live in Northern NJ and I'm thinking about switching to Direct TV.

How are Rangers games on Direct TV? Do you get a good HD feed?

Old
08-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

I can't speak for all the workers, only the ones that I know and I have seen. For the regular workers, I don't know if they actually take as long as you say they do, but at least they know what they're doing. A friend of mine called to have their phone fixed, and after taking hours..not only was the phone not fixed, but they also lost their internet in the process. Just a warning to all the people here looking to get it installed.

Also, they want everyone to take a 30k pay cut and have no medical benefits, so yeah, hope your'e happy.

Last edited by Ih8theislanders: 08-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old
08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Hate to be break the news to you, but your pictures prove it is not widescreen format. There would be much more space on the left and right, you can tell because the score at the top with the MSG goes almost to the edge of both sides, where if it was true widescreen, there would be a lot of space from the MSG on the left to the left edge of the screen and the Toyota and the right edge of the screen.
Do you know what upscaling is?

I know I'm not receiving native 16:9 widescreen format from an SD feed... I'm telling you my cable box is upscaling the signal, and displaying it as you see it in those images... It looks pretty damn good for an SD feed, and doesn't look anything like the picture quality when people take SD feeds and have their TV stretch the image to fit the screen, that's when you see significant distortion of the image... Stretching an image and upscaling an image are NOT the same. Do you have FiOS?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-17-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Closed Thread