HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

The story behind the Matthew Peca saga

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2011, 10:20 PM
  #1
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
The story behind the Matthew Peca saga

What a story!

Kitchener doesn't have his rights anymore like we thought.

Roy explains what happened in this article (french)

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...17-223640.html

Basically:

- Windsor gives Quebec the right to talk to Peca.

- But Ottawa wants to acquire him so Quebec makes a deal with Ottawa and Windsor. Quebec accepts to go play pre-season games in Ottawa (this season) and Windsor (next season) and Ottawa forgets about Peca.

- Windsor trades Peca to Kingston. Peca still doesn't want to play in the OHL so they put him on waivers.

- Kitchener claims him. Peca says no to Kitchener as well so they put him on waivers.

- Niagara wants to claim him 5 minutes before the deadline but Quebec convinces Niagara not to do it.

- Roy was informed after the deadline that 'a team' had claimed Peca but the OHL didn't tell which team.

That's why Peca was in Quebec ready to take part in the camp. They all thought he was now a free agent. Roy doesn't say it clearly but he seems to think Branch has blocked Peca from becoming a free agent so he wouldn't play in another league than the CHL.

Now Roy is questionning if Branch can do both jobs (OHL and CHL) and still work in the best interest of both leagues.

He's very fired up...

-----

He also said why Peca wanted to play for Quebec and nobody else. Because of the education package offered by Quebec.


Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 08-17-2011 at 10:26 PM.
SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:32 PM
  #2
RangerRed
Registered User
 
RangerRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
What a story!

Kitchener doesn't have his rights anymore like we thought.

Roy explains what happened in this article (french)

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...17-223640.html

Basically:

- Windsor gives Quebec the right to talk to Peca.

- But Ottawa wants to acquire him so Quebec makes a deal with Ottawa and Windsor. Quebec accepts to go play pre-season games in Ottawa (this season) and Windsor (next season) and Ottawa forgets about Peca.

- Windsor trades Peca to Kingston. Peca still doesn't want to play in the OHL so they put him on waivers.

- Kitchener claims him. Peca says no to Kitchener as well so they put him on waivers.

- Niagara wants to claim him 5 minutes before the deadline but Quebec convinces Niagara not to do it.

- Roy was informed after the deadline that 'a team' had claimed Peca but the OHL didn't tell which team.

That's why Peca was in Quebec ready to take part in the camp. They all thought he was now a free agent. Roy doesn't say it clearly but he seems to think Branch has blocked Peca from becoming a free agent so he wouldn't play in another league than the CHL.

Now Roy is questionning if Branch can do both jobs (OHL and CHL) and still work in the best interest of both leagues.

He's very fired up...
I personally hope Roy gets screwed to the wall here.

Matthew Peca was born in Ontario. He didn't play in Ontario because he wanted to keep his NCAA eligibility. He's passing through waivers not because other teams don't want him but because he and the Remparts are trying to manipulate the system.

If I was an OHL team, I'd force Peca into the NCAA to uphold the territorial integrity of the O. Or, if I was Kitchener, I'd really screw the QMJHL over by pulling this same kind of stunt with a top Q prospect like Michael Matheson.

A whole corollary of star Q prospects in recent years have threatened to go the US College route because they didn't like the programs in the Q. Turnabout being fair play, Kitchener, London, Windsor and the top O programs should just start poaching the Top Q prospects. Imagine if this had happened back in April? Nathan McKinnon might be a London Knight right now.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
  #3
Racer14
Always Watching
 
Racer14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
I heard he may have been picked up by another western conference team....probably as a favor to big Dave..but u never know for sure.

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:41 PM
  #4
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
I personally hope Roy gets screwed to the wall here.

Matthew Peca was born in Ontario. He didn't play in Ontario because he wanted to keep his NCAA eligibility. He's passing through waivers not because other teams don't want him but because he and the Remparts are trying to manipulate the system.

If I was an OHL team, I'd force Peca into the NCAA to uphold the territorial integrity of the O. Or, if I was Kitchener, I'd really screw the QMJHL over by pulling this same kind of stunt with a top Q prospect like Michael Matheson.

A whole corollary of star Q prospects in recent years have threatened to go the US College route because they didn't like the programs in the Q. Turnabout being fair play, Kitchener, London, Windsor and the top O programs should just start poaching the Top Q prospects. Imagine if this had happened back in April? Nathan McKinnon might be a London Knight right now.
Q players threatens to go to the NCAA because they want money and want to play for the bigger markets (Quebec,Moncton,Saint John,Halifax). Not because they don't like the programs.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:41 PM
  #5
Libbs
Registered User
 
Libbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
The games these people play....

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:47 PM
  #6
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
I personally hope Roy gets screwed to the wall here.

Matthew Peca was born in Ontario. He didn't play in Ontario because he wanted to keep his NCAA eligibility. He's passing through waivers not because other teams don't want him but because he and the Remparts are trying to manipulate the system.

If I was an OHL team, I'd force Peca into the NCAA to uphold the territorial integrity of the O. Or, if I was Kitchener, I'd really screw the QMJHL over by pulling this same kind of stunt with a top Q prospect like Michael Matheson.

A whole corollary of star Q prospects in recent years have threatened to go the US College route because they didn't like the programs in the Q. Turnabout being fair play, Kitchener, London, Windsor and the top O programs should just start poaching the Top Q prospects. Imagine if this had happened back in April? Nathan McKinnon might be a London Knight right now.
Why? If they released him it means they were ok with him going to Quebec. No?

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:16 AM
  #7
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Why? If they released him it means they were ok with him going to Quebec. No?
Like I would trust Patrick Roy!!!

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:17 AM
  #8
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
It seemed like Spott trusted him...

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:38 AM
  #9
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
What about the player?

You guys talk as if these kids are adults and men in pro leagues. They remain children and the teams are businesses looking to make a buck off their chattel. The parents have an obligation to do what the believe is best for their children.

Remember that when you go off on your rants about "territorial integrity" and "screwing" teams, etc.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:41 AM
  #10
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
He wants to study at Laval University (in french).

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:43 AM
  #11
dereksutton9
Registered User
 
dereksutton9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
For the French impaired. Note this came directly from a language translator so excuse some of the translations. My favourite is what Kitchener's team came out as.

QUEBEC - “the police chief of the League of Ontario can at the same time act like chair Canadian League of hockey and think of equitably serving the interests of the two other leagues juniors (Quebec and Ouest)?”

Being disappointed “nebulous” turning that would have borrowed the League junior of Ontario (OHL) and which prevents Matthew Peca from joining the Ramparts of Quebec, Patrick Roy wonders about the double function which the police chief David Branch assumes.

At the end of a saga which lasted all the summer, of the questions remained without answers to the taste of the Ramparts will lead this player of Ontarian origin to turn the back on hockey Canadian junior to the profit of the team of the Quinnipiac University, to which it envisaged to be referred Friday.

It is in Quebec and nowhere elsewhere, because of the academic facilities which the Ramparts would have offered to him, that the perfectly bilingual player agreed to play, according to what it had confirmed with the “Newspaper of Quebec”, Tuesday.
The Ramparts however believed to have the free field from the beginning to acquire it. The permission obtained of Spitfires de Windsor to discuss with the family Peca, then the abandonment of the 67 ' S of Ottawa of possible steps to acquire the player at the time of his release, had been negotiated between the Ramparts and these two organizations. Agreements to go to dispute in these cities of the matches présaison during two next years had been agreed.

Equip mystery

Confronted with a cul-de-sac with Peca, Windsor thus gave it in Frontenacs Kingston, which inherited in their turn a refusal the family. Subjected to the ballot, the Combat boots of Kitchener then claimed it. Then, the scenario is repeated: the Combat boots borrow also the way of the ballot with right of recall and it is precisely during this phase that the imbroglio will find its origin.

Informed that IceDogs of the Niagara could be interested in Peca, the Ramparts mean with them so that they “forget” the player, which they will do “at five minutes” of the expiry, according to Patrick Roy. However another team would have finally claimed Peca “in these last minutes”, but its identity remains secret.

“There is not the certainty which he was indeed claimed”, Roy raises, who believes “that people hide us the truth”. According to the allusions grabbed here and there during this serial, the OHL would fear the exile of a player of this gauge in a close league. “Can one have the assurance which the player in question was claimed? ”, asked Roy.

Doubly underprivileged
Joined by the “Newspaper of Quebec”, Tuesday, the police chief Branch was remained evasive on the subject, repeating that its league functioned according to “legal procedures” and that a player was to pass by the ballot of his league before hoping to join another of them. The Combat boots of Kitchener had not wanted to comment on the subject.

Saying itself disadvantaged by the thin American basin accessible to the League from hockey major junior from Quebec (only Massachusetts and Connecticut), the direction of the Ramparts is explained duty badly now to be deprived of a player of quality originating in Ontario, which always meant not to want to play in the OHL.
“Work number one of Mr. Branch must be to make it possible to players to evolve in the Canadian League of hockey (which is the regrouping of the three leagues juniors), and this, it the league does not matter”, the pilot of the Ramparts estimated.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:44 AM
  #12
dereksutton9
Registered User
 
dereksutton9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Does anyone else find it interesting that once again it looks like Marty Williamson was going to slime into this somehow?

Rychel getting a pick out of this doesn't look so bad anymore.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
  #13
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,495
vCash: 500
Re Kitchener: That may be the best translated name I've ever read!

Does this mean Roy and the Remparts are coming to Windsor next season for a pre-season game?

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:44 PM
  #14
BeaverSports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
There has to be more to the story. I don't see what possible incentive Ottawa or Windsor would receive from having Quebec there for exhibition games save the idea that Roy himself might sign some autographs for fans. In particular, it's Ottawa's first preseason tilt this year compared to Quebec's last. The revenue from those games would be chump change compared to the value of having this kid in the lineup.

I'd also think a team like Ottawa could offer him the same dollars in an education package and a Francophone school to attend, albeit not Laval, so it's curious they'd just back out of this.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:41 AM
  #15
dereksutton9
Registered User
 
dereksutton9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
There has to be more to the story. I don't see what possible incentive Ottawa or Windsor would receive from having Quebec there for exhibition games save the idea that Roy himself might sign some autographs for fans. In particular, it's Ottawa's first preseason tilt this year compared to Quebec's last. The revenue from those games would be chump change compared to the value of having this kid in the lineup.

I'd also think a team like Ottawa could offer him the same dollars in an education package and a Francophone school to attend, albeit not Laval, so it's curious they'd just back out of this.
Absolutely agree. You are talking about Kitchener, Windsor and Ottawa not being able to sign this kid and with each's track record, the questions have to arise about what the kid's intentions are.

However this gets resolved, it will be interesting to see if Peca is truly a player. I remember him at Spits rookie camp and he was noticeable but not head and shoulders above the rest. I'm wondering about Tampa's scouting staff. I thought the Connolly quick was a question and I'm curious about this pick now. Why did he end up at Quinnipac? Why wouldn't the bigger NCAA schools have recruited him? If Peca wasn't drafted, would he be able to play this game?

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
  #16
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
What about the player?

You guys talk as if these kids are adults and men in pro leagues. They remain children and the teams are businesses looking to make a buck off their chattel. The parents have an obligation to do what the believe is best for their children.

Remember that when you go off on your rants about "territorial integrity" and "screwing" teams, etc.
Great point by a rookie poster. You will find many around here who don't seem to understand this simple truth, Crottenham.

Cheers,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:01 PM
  #17
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
What about the player?

You guys talk as if these kids are adults and men in pro leagues. They remain children and the teams are businesses looking to make a buck off their chattel. The parents have an obligation to do what the believe is best for their children.

Remember that when you go off on your rants about "territorial integrity" and "screwing" teams, etc.
That is a great point.

At the end of the day people sometimes can get caught up in the 'my team' vs. 'there team, or the 'my league' vs. 'there league', while forgetting that sometimes these players are just kids.

End of the day the point is moot, Peca reported to Quinnipac today. I cant see him backing out now.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
  #18
BeaverSports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
However this gets resolved, it will be interesting to see if Peca is truly a player. I remember him at Spits rookie camp and he was noticeable but not head and shoulders above the rest. I'm wondering about Tampa's scouting staff. I thought the Connolly quick was a question and I'm curious about this pick now. Why did he end up at Quinnipac? Why wouldn't the bigger NCAA schools have recruited him? If Peca wasn't drafted, would he be able to play this game?
I think he came a long way with Pembroke last year winning the RBC Cup, he was maybe a little off th radar before then.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:19 AM
  #19
cfaub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belle River
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
I understand that these are kids and people's reasoning to treat them like kids but we all try to teach our kids to play within the rules.

You may not always like the rules but if you choose this path then you likely have an understanding of what the rules and expectations are so when every other kid, in hockey or not is expected to play within the rules I can understand why people get upset when the few who think that the rules don't apply to them come out with the expectations that everyone will accomadate them.

They want something done for them while doing nothing in return for those they are expecting to accomadate them while their actions say the rules don't apply to them.

My kids have rules, and yes one of them is a very high level athlete in her chosen sport. The rules are there and she has no way around them. It is not a sport like hockey but there are limitations placed on her depending on things like here age, level of competition etc.

When it comes to kids who do this at this level of hockey, sorry kids or not I have no reason to feel sorry for them. The rules are there, for a reason and he does have choices within those rules. He is exercising one of them by going to school and I have no problem with that but to ask everyone to waive the rules so he can go play somewhere else... no pity from me.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:23 AM
  #20
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Why did he end up at Quinnipac?
Ben Syer. There's a family relationship.

Syer left earlier this Summer for Cornell which has been a merit admission school for years.


Last edited by Edges7: 08-22-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:43 AM
  #21
dereksutton9
Registered User
 
dereksutton9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
I understand that these are kids and people's reasoning to treat them like kids but we all try to teach our kids to play within the rules.
Great comment. It seems too often that people want to hit the easy button and shelter junior players in these types of situations. All decisions and actions have consequences and perhaps one of the issues with society is that there are those out there who want to overlook that fact.

Whether based on poor advice or just questionable decision making, Peca is acting in a manner that draws scrutiny. There are no reasons for personal attacks or wild speculation but the type of banter in this thread seems well within civilized discussion and befitting of the involvement of a young adult.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
  #22
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Whether based on poor advice or just questionable decision making, Peca is acting in a manner that draws scrutiny. There are no reasons for personal attacks or wild speculation but the type of banter in this thread seems well within civilized discussion and befitting of the involvement of a young adult.
How has Peca excercised poor decision making? He's made what he feels is his best choice given the options that are available to him. Obviously this kid's priority is schooling. I think it's unfortunate that the rules our adults have come up with require that he goes to play in another country, rather than another province, to achieve his goals. No different than our top doctors, I suppose.

Best,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.