HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
he keeps it up, he'll walk away with the CY with ease, and garner some MVP votes as well.

08-13-2011, 12:32 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Good to see the Lions win last night, even if it is just pre-season.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Winger98
powers combined

So, the Marlins just sent down Logan Morrison over, essentially, management/ownership not liking what he tweets. We kind of need an outfielder for next year with Magglio (hopefully) being shown the door and our internal options being questionable.

The guy's not a sure thing, but I think he's better than what we have. Is this something DD should pursue, if not now, then over the winter?

Old
08-14-2011, 05:59 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
So, the Marlins just sent down Logan Morrison over, essentially, management/ownership not liking what he tweets. We kind of need an outfielder for next year with Magglio (hopefully) being shown the door and our internal options being questionable.

The guy's not a sure thing, but I think he's better than what we have. Is this something DD should pursue, if not now, then over the winter?
Yes, imo. LoMo had been slumping as of late, but he is a good combination of a guy who gets on base, and produces with men on base. And he's young, like 23 or 24. So long as we don't give up some big package for him, I'd say he's worth the gamble. Wouldn't mind seeing him take Mags' spot with him and Boesch manning the corners.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Yes, imo. LoMo had been slumping as of late, but he is a good combination of a guy who gets on base, and produces with men on base. And he's young, like 23 or 24. So long as we don't give up some big package for him, I'd say he's worth the gamble. Wouldn't mind seeing him take Mags' spot with him and Boesch manning the corners.
That's what I was thinking, too. An outfield of Boesch--Jackson-Morrison could look pretty good going into next year. It might look pretty good this year if Magglio doesn't turn it around or someone like Dirks doesn't catch fire.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Have fun with Delmon.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:02 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...mon-young.html

Tigers pick up Delmon Young for nobody in particular plus an unknown PTBNL.

???

Depending on who the PTBNL is, I don't mind the move. I just don't particularly get it. Unless they're thinking about dumping Magglio, this doesn't really do them any good. Right now they're thin at 2B and backup C, and they could always use more bullpen help. Another not-outstanding outfielder with no speed? I dunno.

I guess they're buying a lotto ticket and hoping he blows up so they can either extend him or flip him for picks next winter when he's a FA.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Shoalzie

He's not signed long term...if he fails, it's not a huge loss for them. I don't really see the harm in this.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
He's not signed long term...if he fails, it's not a huge loss for them. I don't really see the harm in this.
Well, I can see a couple ways this could harm them indirectly.

1. The PTBNL is someone they shouldn't be dealing.

2. Leyland idiotically platoons Young with Boesch, continuing to realize that Boesch's splits vs lefties are better than any of their right-hitting options, including Young. Young should take playing time from Magglio and Dirks, but not from Boesch. And not from Raburn as long as he's hitting the way he has since late June.

3. Somehow this causes Don Kelly to receive more playing time.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Solid move. He's having a horrible season, but even an empty .260 avg is better than the sub .200 bat Magglio's been swinging lately. And if he catches on here, he could be a cheap re-signing to solidify the outfield.

Old
08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Looking into Young some more, here's his line since the AS break: .286/.352 /.429 This could turn out to be a very solid move for us. The one thing that worries me is that Boesch's thumb is injured worse than they've let on. The guy we need to be looking to bench is Magglio.

Old
08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Shoalzie

To me, it's a depth move...Young could potentially start in left down the stretch with Boesch playing more in right if Magglio can't cut it. With Guillen getting hurt, you wonder if there is an option out there to replace him at second...it doesn't appear to be a serious injury. I'd like see some of Rhymes now that he's back up with the club. He was supposed to be the starting 2B, at least while Guillen was hurt.

Old
08-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Rhymes was sent back down with the trade for Young. After seeing us give up 3 runs because Betamit and Raburn have no idea what to do without a bat in their hands, nearly anyone would be an upgrade at this point. We have a groundball pitcher on the mound (and another in Fister), why not put some D in the infield?

edit: something I'm wondering in light of the rough 6th inning for Porcello - how much does a pitcher start to press in a game when they see a couple of errors behind them leading to runs? If you lose confidence in the guys behind you to play the ball, that has got to affect your pitching.

Last edited by Winger98: 08-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old
08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
sarcastro

Sounds like they're going to give Magglio's at-bats to Young. I'm surprised - it's actually the right thing to do, as Maggs can't hit for **** anymore. Usually they keep starting the guy who can't hit.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Rhymes was sent back down with the trade for Young.

Yeah, I saw that shortly after I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Sounds like they're going to give Magglio's at-bats to Young. I'm surprised - it's actually the right thing to do, as Maggs can't hit for **** anymore. Usually they keep starting the guy who can't hit.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011081...rt-time-player

They bit the bullet with sending down Inge to Toledo...they're doing the right thing with not just rolling out Magglio without consequence. With the current group of outfielders...Boesch, Jackson, Young, Dirks and Magglio...I'd put him 5th on the depth chart. I'd use him in situational pinch hitting roles late in games.

All you had to do was watch Young step into the lineup yesterday and make an impact with the bat and the glove...the guy is a vast improvement. I like the prospects of a Young-Jackson-Boesch outfield with Dirks getting some playing time and Magglio being reduced to spot duty and pinch hitting. No way should they bring him back. He's no longer a player that can help this team win.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Lester Oliveros is the PTBNL in the Young deal. I'm fine with it.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Lester Oliveros is the PTBNL in the Young deal. I'm fine with it.
They have a lot of AAAA relievers, and Oliveros has looked ok at times but far from spectacular. Good news.

Old
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Shoalzie

Young for 2 minor league pitchers...I officially love the deal. If he can be somewhere between last year's form and this year, I'll be giddy. He was a borderline MVP candidate last year. Hit for a decent average and drive in runs and don't look like a circus in the field. That's really all you would've wanted from Maggs. They don't need guys to hit it out of the park...just get things done with RISP.

A big spot for JV tonight...back-to-back shaky efforts from the pitching staff with the Indians creeping closer. With Weaver's ERA jumping up past 2.00...I don't know what he's got over Verlander at this point. If JV keeps his WHIP under 1.00 and OBA under .200 and possibly wins the most games and leads the Majors in strikeouts...plus, if the Tigers go on to win the Central...he's a lock to win the Cy Young. He came up large against Cleveland last week in a similar position...it wasn't a great start but he gave them a chance to win.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
sarcastro

Picked up Pierzynski on my fantasy baseball team and he breaks his wrist that night.

Just doin' my part to help the Tigers win the division....

Old
08-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Shoalzie

JV leads the majors in IP, wins, strikeouts, WHIP, opponents BA and OPS and 2nd in ERA...is this as much of a slam dunk as it appears? Even MVP worthy?

The only thing that I can knock him on is home runs. He's a power pitcher...he'll strike guys out but if guys turn one around, they go a long way. He doesn't walk a lot of guys relative and doesn't really give up a lot of hits...just doesn't yield a lot of baserunners. I'd love to see how many of his HR allowed have been solo shots.

When he's spotted a few runs and he's got a fairly healthy lead, he's able to really cut loose and explore every inch of the zone...he'll get burned with the long ball on occasion but the fact that he's #1 in opponent BA, SLG and OBP...he doesn't get in a lot of jams. He's only had 8 GIDP...the way he works out of jams seems to be either via strikeout or pop out.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Thome has been sticking a knife in us for his whole career, why are we still pitching to him now? Just walk him...

Old
08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Winger98
powers combined

And the Tigers do everything in their power to lose tonight...

Old
08-17-2011, 11:53 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I'd love to see how many of his HR allowed have been solo shots.
16 HRs allowed
9 Solo
5 Two-run
2 Three-run

Old
08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
16 HRs allowed
9 Solo
5 Two-run
2 Three-run

Danke...more than half of the solo variety. I didn't seem to remember a lot of multiple-run home runs yielded by JV.

Match-ups (supposedly) set for the big weekend series:
Friday: Scherzer vs. Tomlin
Saturday: Fister vs. Huff...game to be attended by yours truly
Sunday: Porcello vs. Jimenez

Verlander is slated for Monday's series opener against Tampa. Masterson vs. Humber tonight in the finale of the series with the Sox and Tribe...based on the standings, we'd probably all prefer the Sox take this one tonight but the Indians could still be in a position to take over first if they sweep at Comerica. The thing that'll bug me is that Leyland won't move Verlander into Sunday's game against Jimenez but you wonder if the Tribe get the lead down to a half game or they're tied...does he make the change?

Old
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Shoalzie

Look at what the cats dragged in...Brandon Inge.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011082...ws|text|Sports

Inge will start against lefties (including tonight against Huff) and Betemit will go against righties. Inge will be a defense replacement late in games. Sucks that Dirks goes down and potentially won't be eligible for the postseason roster if he's not back up by September 1.

I'm not big on Kelly and Raburn but the obvious selling point for them is their positional versatility. Santiago can play 3 positions in the infield. I guess this gives Inge about 10 days or so to show if he's worth hanging onto for the stretch run. If he fails, Dirks could be back up by the end of the month so they can use him in the postseason.

I'd rather see Dirks as an extra outfielder but they're giving the great white dope one more shot. I guess you can't root against a guy on your team especially if he could help but that would drive me crazy if they keep him around if he's under .200 and can't use the glove like he used to. At this point, I'd rather have Dirks as a spare outfielder over Magglio but that's another argument for another day. Between Inge and Magglio...both look like their done but we'll see ol' Brandon can do with a second chance starting tonight.

Closed Thread