HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD2011 Sir Montagu Allan Rnd 1: Montreal Bad Habits (3) vs No-Names (6)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
  #76
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The alternative explanation is that coaches pick the defensemen with the best powerplay skills to play on the powerplay.
Thank you!

I would have thought that was obvious.....

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
  #77
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Thank you!

I would have thought that was obvious.....
it seems obvious on the surface, but then they all seem to produce at close to the same level, almost like they are interchangeable.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
  #78
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
it seems obvious on the surface, but then they all seem to produce at close to the same level, almost like they are interchangeable.
I wish I could respond to this, but apparently it is against forum rules.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
  #79
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
it seems obvious on the surface, but then they all seem to produce at close to the same level, almost like they are interchangeable.
Wow.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
  #80
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Thank you!

I would have thought that was obvious.....
If you have a point to make, it's better to say it rather than assuming people can guess what you're thinking.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:38 PM
  #81
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
If you have a point to make, it's better to say it rather than assuming people can guess what you're thinking.
You don't think that it is obvious that coaches in general play the players they feel are best suited to the powerplay on the powerplay?

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
  #82
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
If you have a point to make, it's better to say it rather than assuming people can guess what you're thinking.
TDMM made my point for me, which is why I thanked him.

If you really beleive power play production has nothing to do with offensive skill, then I don't know what to say to change you mind. Some things just shouldn't need to be explained.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:58 AM
  #83
MadArcand
We do not sow
 
MadArcand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pyke
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
I really don't think it's particularly fair to extrapolate Berard's post-injury performance on his whole career. Sure he was horrible defensively in his later career - but he was also half blind.

And the PP icetime debate is also stretching logic - players who played a similar amount on PP may have got similar amount of points. And why exactly do you think they played similar amount on the PP? Could it be because they had similar skills suited for PP?

You can't say with a straight face that having Lebda replace Lidstrom on Detroit's PP, with same icetime, would lead to no change in the PP's effectiveness.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:44 AM
  #84
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I really don't think it's particularly fair to extrapolate Berard's post-injury performance on his whole career. Sure he was horrible defensively in his later career - but he was also half blind.
Very true, although those seasons due still matter in his all time value as a defenseman (unfortunately due to no fault of his own).


Quote:
And the PP icetime debate is also stretching logic - players who played a similar amount on PP may have got similar amount of points. And why exactly do you think they played similar amount on the PP? Could it be because they had similar skills suited for PP?

You can't say with a straight face that having Lebda replace Lidstrom on Detroit's PP, with same icetime, would lead to no change in the PP's effectiveness.
Yeah, it is a non-starter. I was going to use Brad Marsh as my counter example.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:48 AM
  #85
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
If you really beleive power play production has nothing to do with offensive skill, then I don't know what to say to change you mind. Some things just shouldn't need to be explained.
I don't believe that, no. I just don't think you've been making your point very well. Resorting to ad hominems doesn't help.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:22 PM
  #86
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
I don't believe that, no. I just don't think you've been making your point very well. Resorting to ad hominems doesn't help.
As I said already, I shouldn't even need to make the point, let alone make it well.

Also, as I already said, if somebody doesn't understand that better offensive players are going to be better in offensive situations, then they need more help than I can offer.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
  #87
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
if somebody doesn't understand that better offensive players are going to be better in offensive situations, then they need more help than I can offer.
... and for the record, I don't beleive anyone is actually in this boat. Everyone knows this is true (which I why I don't need to "make my point")

There is only one person who is pretending that it isn't true, but he's just posturing in an attempt to lay the groundwork for future arguments in favour of his team

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
  #88
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
There is only one person who is pretending that it isn't true, but he's just posturing in an attempt to lay the groundwork for future arguments in favour of his team
And as I said, if you just make your argument, you don't have to descend into name-calling like this.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
  #89
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
And as I said, if you just make your argument, you don't have to descend into name-calling like this.
You really want me to make an agument to convince people that good offensive players are better in offensive situations than bad offensive players?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
  #90
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I wish I could respond to this, but apparently it is against forum rules.
question whether I've ever watched a hockey game, sure, but don't say many other people also question it without proof.

that's borderline libellous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
You don't think that it is obvious that coaches in general play the players they feel are best suited to the powerplay on the powerplay?
of course they do, but that's not what I'm arguing. There are definite outliers, the best of which are taken in the ATD, the worst of which we won't be selecting here, but here in the MLD, if you look at a defenseman's PP production it is very proportional to their PP time, with few exceptions. They all appeared to have about the same PP skill, generally. And that does make some sense, considering we're all taking the 1000th-1400th-best players here, which means they're bound to be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I really don't think it's particularly fair to extrapolate Berard's post-injury performance on his whole career. Sure he was horrible defensively in his later career - but he was also half blind.
That serves as an excuse for 2004 and 2006; however, he was not half blind in the 1998 season, and he was still 3rd in the league in ESGA/GP.

Quote:
You can't say with a straight face that having Lebda replace Lidstrom on Detroit's PP, with same icetime, would lead to no change in the PP's effectiveness.
You're talking about outliers on either side of the pack. I'm not saying that they are of similar effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
.There is only one person who is pretending that it isn't true, but he's just posturing in an attempt to lay the groundwork for future arguments in favour of his team
Absolutely not. I actually plan to just accept the limitations of my players (something you absolutely refuse to do) and bank on the overall effectiveness of my defense corps (which includes their PP effectiveness as only one component, and a smaller one than ES and defensive ability) carrying me through.


Last edited by seventieslord: 08-18-2011 at 04:40 PM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:37 PM
  #91
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 40,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

of course they do, but that's not what I'm arguing. There are definite outliers, the best of which are taken in the ATD, the worst of which we won't be selecting here, but here in the MLD, if you look at a defenseman's PP production it is very proportional to their PP time, with few exceptions. They all appeared to have about the same PP skill, generally. And that does make some sense, considering we're all taking the 1000th-1400th-best players here, which means they're bound to be similar..
You have a point to an extent - I think Brian Campbell's numbers in Chicago are very proportional to the amount of PP time he received - first he lost his role as the main QB to Duncan Keith (and even better PP QB than Campbell), then he lost his role on the top unit entirely because of Keith's chemistry with Seabrook.

But if you're saying the biggest difference between the numbers that Brian Campbell and Colin White put up is that Campbell received more PP time, I'm going to have to call BS.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:36 PM
  #92
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
But if you're saying the biggest difference between the numbers that Brian Campbell and Colin White put up is that Campbell received more PP time, I'm going to have to call BS.
Nope, that's not what I'm saying, so we're cool.

I'm referring specifically to defensemen in the MLD that one would actually place on the PP.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:37 PM
  #93
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
You really want me to make an agument to convince people that good offensive players are better in offensive situations than bad offensive players?
Only if that's a legitimate response to the argument you're countering.

My point is: if countering the argument is as obvious as you think it is in this case (meaning that the person making the argument is dense), then you're probably not understanding the argument. By presenting your response the other side can point that out and the discussion can continue.


Last edited by Iain Fyffe: 08-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:30 AM
  #94
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,774
vCash: 500
Montreal trimphs in 7 games!

3 stars:

1. Jason Spezza
2. Sean Burke
3. Mud Bruneteau

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:16 PM
  #95
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Good game Dreak !

I'm happy to win my first series ever ( ATD don't count I had a free pass )

To be fair Dreak took his team a little bit late in the draft.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
  #96
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 40,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Good game Dreak !

I'm happy to win my first series ever ( ATD don't count I had a free pass )

To be fair Dreak took his team a little bit late in the draft.
Yes, definitely impressive to see the team Dreak constructed after missing the first 4 rounds of the draft. I had Dreak's team as higher than a 6th seed, myself.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.