HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Cgy

Old
08-18-2011, 12:36 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan5 View Post
Were doing great without the cancer in the lockerroom. At the end of the day we were happy to get rid of him, you were happy to take him. Neither team came out of it looking great. We are no different then we were before the trade. Dion was awful here other then his first year. As I before the only bad part of that trade was re-signing Stajan. Hagman is a great player for what hes being paid. White was turned over for Anton so thats a huge plus. The only real loss for us was Aulie. Since this has nothing to do with the OP.

The trade itself isn't that bad. It just doesn't make sense for the Leafs. They would risk to much trading Reimer. Thats not to say he could just be a complete bust, but you cant trade him until you know. As for the Flames there in a win one with the current core they have so unless they decide to head for a rebuild which they wont until the deadline imo they wouldnt make this trade either.
Yeah no. Toronto has a winning record with Phaneuf. Worked out pretty damn well for us. Oh and we got a young prospect with top 4 dman potential written all over him.

The only bad part was resigning Stajan, giving up a top prospect, and not losing any cap space from the trade.

Anton is a nice piece but he really only brings one thing Phaneuf took with him and thats offense (and really he doesnt even compare to Phaneuf in that regard. His career high in any pro league he has ever played in, is only 5 points higher than Phaneufs career worst. Plus Antons only done that once. His 2nd best is 27)

The Flames lost this trade and its not even debatable in the slightest.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
flamesfan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Yeah no. Toronto has a winning record with Phaneuf. Worked out pretty damn well for us. Oh and we got a young prospect with top 4 dman potential written all over him.

The only bad part was resigning Stajan, giving up a top prospect, and not losing any cap space from the trade.

Anton is a nice piece but he really only brings one thing Phaneuf took with him and thats offense (and really he doesnt even compare to Phaneuf in that regard. His career high in any pro league he has ever played in, is only 5 points higher than Phaneufs career worst. Plus Antons only done that once. His 2nd best is 27)

The Flames lost this trade and its not even debatable in the slightest.
Sure we will go with that, at the end of the day I know as much about the Leafs as you do the Flames so no point in judging.

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
flamesfan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Can you by chance post a link about this cancer that was Phaneuf, cause i only heard this from fans POST trade.
Also, as far as the OP, i wouldn't make this deal as even i admit that IF we were to just make the playoffs this season that would be a huge step. Kipper's age and decline kind of hinder this deal, and having to give our 1st in what is to be a very good draft kills it.
If you look online there were many problems with him, Im not in the dressing room of course but the problems that came up with him were sleeping with conroys wife, and fighting Iggy and Regher.

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:15 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
If you look online there were many problems with him, Im not in the dressing room of course but the problems that came up with him were sleeping with conroys wife, and fighting Iggy and Regher.
Got a link that says he slept with Conroy's wife?

Like you said; you aren't in the dressing room.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Can you by chance post a link about this cancer that was Phaneuf, cause i only heard this from fans POST trade.

Also, as far as the OP, i wouldn't make this deal as even i admit that IF we were to just make the playoffs this season that would be a huge step. Kipper's age and decline kind of hinder this deal, and having to give our 1st in what is to be a very good draft kills it.
http://communities.canada.com/regina...n-phaneuf.aspx

http://sports-opinionated.com/2010/0...or-the-flames/

I really don't care enough to do a thorough search, but there were tons of rumours prior to the trade that Phaneuf didn't get along with Regehr or Iginla, that he'd slept with Conroy's wife, etc. etc. I have no idea how much credence to lend to any of the "locker room cancer" crap surrounding Phaneuf (I personally ignore it and consider the trade to be a massive failure), but I will say that the rumours did exist. You didn't hear about them because you probably didn't give a crap until he became Leafs property.

Phaneuf being bad in the room was not a rationalization created by fans to justify a crappy trade; it was a rumour that had been floating around for at least a year prior to the trade, which was subsequently latched onto as a rationalization to justify the crappy trade. Either way you slice it, I think the people who use it as justification are wrong, but you're also wrong in your implication that it was totally fabricated as a post-trade concept.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Never happened! Get your facts straight before printing garbage.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
The Chiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post

I really don't care enough to do a thorough search, but there were tons of rumours prior to the trade that Phaneuf didn't get along with Regehr or Iginla, that he'd slept with Conroy's wife, etc. etc. I have no idea how much credence to lend to any of the "locker room cancer" crap surrounding Phaneuf (I personally ignore it and consider the trade to be a massive failure), but I will say that the rumours did exist. You didn't hear about them because you probably didn't give a crap until he became Leafs property.

Phaneuf being bad in the room was not a rationalization created by fans to justify a crappy trade; it was a rumour that had been floating around for at least a year prior to the trade, which was subsequently latched onto as a rationalization to justify the crappy trade. Either way you slice it, I think the people who use it as justification are wrong, but you're also wrong in your implication that it was totally fabricated as a post-trade concept.
Both of those are from after he was traded though... they're also pretty hilarious in hind sight reading them now.

Edit: This is the "proof" in this article:
Quote:
Jokinen goes on to say that the rumours of Phaneuf being a cancer in the locker room are untrue but this says something entirely different. The poster claims a friend told them about a story that aired on a radio station that claimed Flames captain Jarome Iginla put Phaneuf in his place after a hissy fit.
So the proof is a poster on a Calgary Flames web site who claims his friend told him about something he heard on the radio? Sounds really reliable

Last edited by The Chiddler: 08-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.
The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Sure we will go with that, at the end of the day I know as much about the Leafs as you do the Flames so no point in judging.
I doubt that. I know almost as much about that Flames as I do about the Leafs.

Old
08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
saskfarmboy
That's pretty neat!

Yes Kipper is still an all-star goalie, but IMO he hasn't been playing as good as he can lately.

saskfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:41 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:

Lol. There was never any rumors of him sleeping with Conroys wife. Rumors of him fighting with Iggy and Regehr were pretty much limited to after the trade as well. Prior to the trade, IIRC Sutter was asked about any problems between Iggy and Phaneuf and it was flat out denied. It happened once and was media borne.

Ive followed Phaneuf since he was in Junior. The only so called rumors that existed when he was in Calgary, were those of him being a partier and occasionally partaking in coke. Nothing of the sort was proven (outside of a video or two of him drinking, which half the population of Canada does anyways, woopdeedoo).

Old
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
Both of those are from after he was traded though... they're also pretty hilarious in hind sight reading them now.

Edit: This is the "proof" in this article:

So the proof is a poster on a Calgary Flames web site who claims his friend told him about something he heard on the radio? Sounds really reliable
Not to mention that the story was heard on an EDMONTON RADIO STATION! If that doesnt scream unreliable, Im not sure what does.

Oh and the article with that post was written by a blogger (not a reporter) and an affiliate (not a reputable) site of canada.com.

Both those articles are from blogger wannabees on second rate sites only writing rumors of those incidents.

There is no proof of any such incidents. They didnt happen and furthermore didnt exist.

Old
08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
MajorMystery16

Oh man, this is turning into a mess. At the end of the day, the Phaneuf trade worked for both teams. No need to get into who "won" the trade or who sucks harder. Right now, both teams are struggling.

That trade really doesn't make much sense. Toronto isn't in a place to be giving up 1st rounders right now unless it was packaged for a 1st line centremen. And Kipper isn't the goalie he used to be or so it seems the past few seasons. Plus, I'm interested to see how Reimer does this season. The kid seems to be a great fit and a fan favourite.

MajorMystery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash 12 View Post
TOR
Kiprusoff

CGY
Reimer
1st rounder

TOR gets a goalie that will get them in the playoffs
CGY gets a much need first and will have two young goalies to work with
Who hired you to troll the Flames fanbase?

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMystery16 View Post
Oh man, this is turning into a mess. At the end of the day, the Phaneuf trade worked for both teams. No need to get into who "won" the trade or who sucks harder. Right now, both teams are struggling.

That trade really doesn't make much sense. Toronto isn't in a place to be giving up 1st rounders right now unless it was packaged for a 1st line centremen. And Kipper isn't the goalie he used to be or so it seems the past few seasons. Plus, I'm interested to see how Reimer does this season. The kid seems to be a great fit and a fan favourite.
The trade most certainly did not work out well for Calgary at all. Only a fool believes that trading a number one defenseman for scraps actually helps a team. Calgary even squandered the cap space they saved on that deal. That trade was one of the biggest trades of the past ten years and rocked the foundation of the NHL. Toronto has their new captain, and teams in the east have never been more afraid.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
The trade most certainly did not work out well for Calgary at all. Only a fool believes that trading a number one defenseman for scraps actually helps a team. Calgary even squandered the cap space they saved on that deal. That trade was one of the biggest trades of the past ten years and rocked the foundation of the NHL. Toronto has their new captain, and teams in the east have never been more afraid.
Look, you can't have it both ways. Either both fanbases can tell themselves what they need to tell themselves so they can sleep at night, or neither can. You can't in one breath say Flames fans are deluding themselves and in the next deal in Leafs fantasies.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
Look, you can't have it both ways. Either both fanbases can tell themselves what they need to tell themselves so they can sleep at night, or neither can. You can't in one breath say Flames fans are deluding themselves and in the next deal in Leafs fantasies.
I don't understand, what specific part of my post did you take issue with?

Old
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Eamonn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash 12 View Post
yes. but if he flops you will get nothing for him
If he flops we get a top 10 pick and we don't add a ****** aging goalie.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
leafsfan2point0

go to the toilet and wipe better cause dawg... some of u r full of it btw thats a horrible proposal

leafsfan2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

yea no.

we already robbed the phaneuf trade we are good from you guys for now

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:25 PM
MajorMystery16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post

MajorMystery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
yea no.

lol. Phaneuf for Norris!>!!!!!!!!111

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Lol. There was never any rumors of him sleeping with Conroys wife. Rumors of him fighting with Iggy and Regehr were pretty much limited to after the trade as well. Prior to the trade, IIRC Sutter was asked about any problems between Iggy and Phaneuf and it was flat out denied. It happened once and was media borne.

Ive followed Phaneuf since he was in Junior. The only so called rumors that existed when he was in Calgary, were those of him being a partier and occasionally partaking in coke. Nothing of the sort was proven (outside of a video or two of him drinking, which half the population of Canada does anyways, woopdeedoo).
I remember rumours circulating prior to the trade, but either way, it shouldn't matter when the rumours started to circulate. What should matter is that they're a stupid thing to discuss in the context of the trade, because they're just that; rumours. Sutter was fleeced, end of story.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:26 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
yea no.

Yeah give it another 18 years and we can come make a blockbuster with the Flames again

The Flames just need to go to St Louis, plant some stories about a guy like Oshie and make a trade for him then

Old
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
I remember rumours circulating prior to the trade, but either way, it shouldn't matter when the rumours started to circulate. What should matter is that they're a stupid thing to discuss in the context of the trade, because they're just that; rumours.
Very true my friend. Way to keep a level head (im not being facetious). Bringing it in to trade context really is counterproductive.

Old
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMystery16 View Post
The Leafs now have two of the meanest defensemen in the game - what opposing forwards wouldn't be wary of the Leafs?