HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Help David Poile Make Out His Shopping List

Old
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Help David Poile Make Out His Shopping List

OK,
Everyone, including Poile, says we are in the market for a scorer or two.

You have to think if he's going to get one it will be by trade, and likely not after the season starts and some teams fall by the wayside.

So instead of complaining about the opportunities missed, lets be proactive and list some players you think we should target and have a reasonable chance of getting.

If you are feeling froggy, state what you'd be willing to give for said player..

I think if Colorado tanks and they think they are going to be on long rebuild I'd make a pitch for Stastny or maybe see if Phoenix wanted to part with Stempniak.

neither is the huge name but they also wont cost the whole farm either

Last edited by PredsV82: 08-18-2011 at 03:11 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Zach Parise, particularly with the developments of Zajac being out the first 2-3 months

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Ahhhh....I love a good moaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Zach Parise, particularly with the developments of Zajac being out the first 2-3 months
I would imagine they're going to be asking for offense in return, though.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post

fine ... give 'em Fisher OR Erat + a draft pick

Old
08-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Adz

Quote:
Don't you know it!

I'm still thinking.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

well crap. i proofread the body but not the title.. mods, a little help please??

edit: thanks!

Last edited by PredsV82: 08-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old
08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

Quote:
If NJ is in the tank and going to rebuild I think they would want younger players back.

Id send Wilson unless he tears it up early before this trade happens

Old
08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Sounds possibly feasible for 2012-2013. How about now?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Adz

Okay, how about Alexander Semin? He has a year left, huge money, but on a team that's over their cap limit. So we won't give them anything because our taking on $6.5 million is their "help". But if we must, we can give 'em O'Reilly.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:22 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'll also add the obvious AK to the discussion.

IF he's truly wants out, he could come cheap.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Parise is a huge risk. He's an outstanding fit in so many ways for this team and gives the team that core of 4 to build around. But there's a lot of hurdles there even if both teams would do it.

First, it would likely take a package that included Erat and Wilson (and potentially more)- if you buy that it could be done without one of the big 3 going back. For the salary that Parise will require (not to mention Suter and Rinne), Nashville would want to send Erat (who's salary is a complete wash with Parise this season). I suspect that New Jersey would like to have Wilson (or Hornqvist) in order to obtain two solid forwards- both with more than reasonable cap hits.

Second, until 1/1/12 Parise (like Weber) cannot sign an "extension" as he is currently on a 1yr SPC (Section 50.5.f of the CBA). So, Nashville could not guarantee he'd re-sign unless they waited to make that trade until after 1/1. Lots of circumstances can change between now and then. Do you make the trade sooner, even with the uncertainty of Parise re-signing?

Finally, if you move two solid forwards from your top nine, how sold are you on one of Bergfors, Smith, or another prospect being able to move into the top six and another moving onto that fourth line? Parise's contract situation might allow for another forward to come back from New Jersey, but I don't know if that helps.

A Parise trade would seem to have been more doable prior to him signing a one year deal with New Jersey.

David Singleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:29 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well crap. i proofread the body but not the title.. mods, a little help please??

edit: thanks!
Eh.

Gave the thread extra charm.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Shea Weber

David's shopping list:

1) Weber
2) Suter
3) Rinne
4) Milk
5) Bread
6) Eggs

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Okay, how about Alexander Semin? He has a year left, huge money, but on a team that's over their cap limit. So we won't give them anything because our taking on $6.5 million is their "help". But if we must, we can give 'em O'Reilly.
I don't know about that adz. Have you seen this thread. If it's true semin wouldn't last a week here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=969933

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
By similar logic, it would be "helpful" for someone to take Weber for nearly nothing so the Preds can save money and not worry about the contract issues. Semin still has a considerable amount of value.

That said, it'd seem reasonable to presume he'd be available for the right price. Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest clue what Washington's needs are (other than to get their collective tuchus in gear in April ) and so I couldn't really speculate any further.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Before the season starts ... Kulemin, Grabovski, A. Kostitsyn. The way the Leafs and Habs need to improve, we could potentially swing deals with them.

The unrealistic desire ... Jeff Skinner from Carolina.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
By similar logic, it would be "helpful" for someone to take Weber for nearly nothing so the Preds can save money and not worry about the contract issues. Semin still has a considerable amount of value.

That said, it'd seem reasonable to presume he'd be available for the right price. Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest clue what Washington's needs are (other than to get their collective tuchus in gear in April ) and so I couldn't really speculate any further.
WE aren't staring at being almost a million dollars over the cap and we're in no danger of hitting a cap ceiling. Trading Shea isn't really of benefit to us.

As for Semin being a discipline problem, so was Sergei Kostitsyn. Sometimes a move out of the media spotlight can be very helpful. And let's face it...Nashville is pretty far out of the media spotlight. ;-)

Last edited by Adz: 08-18-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Misread
Old
08-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

Matt Bradley begs to differ

Old
08-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Parise is a huge risk. He's an outstanding fit in so many ways for this team and gives the team that core of 4 to build around. But there's a lot of hurdles there even if both teams would do it.

First, it would likely take a package that included Erat and Wilson (and potentially more)- if you buy that it could be done without one of the big 3 going back. For the salary that Parise will require (not to mention Suter and Rinne), Nashville would want to send Erat (who's salary is a complete wash with Parise this season). I suspect that New Jersey would like to have Wilson (or Hornqvist) in order to obtain two solid forwards- both with more than reasonable cap hits.

Second, until 1/1/12 Parise (like Weber) cannot sign an "extension" as he is currently on a 1yr SPC (Section 50.5.f of the CBA). So, Nashville could not guarantee he'd re-sign unless they waited to make that trade until after 1/1. Lots of circumstances can change between now and then. Do you make the trade sooner, even with the uncertainty of Parise re-signing?

Finally, if you move two solid forwards from your top nine, how sold are you on one of Bergfors, Smith, or another prospect being able to move into the top six and another moving onto that fourth line? Parise's contract situation might allow for another forward to come back from New Jersey, but I don't know if that helps.

A Parise trade would seem to have been more doable prior to him signing a one year deal with New Jersey.
Erat has an NMC...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:49 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Erat has an NMC...
True. Not necessarily a barrier, but something that would obviously have to be waived.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Most teams aren't looking to make any type of trade right now, especially one that involves trading away a top offensive player. Once training camp begins and GMs get a good look at their roster, we might see 1 or 2 become available, if lucky.

IMO Zajac being injured doesn't change the availability of Parise.

If Washington needs to get cap compliant, there are many other options besides trading away one of your most important players. If they trade Semin, it will be a "hockey" trade, not a salary dump. Besides, I'm not so sure I even want Semin. "He just doesn't care" according to his former teammate. Not sure I want that type of player in our locker room. IMO his problems are very very different than Kostitsyn's supposed problems.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Erat has a NMC, and I don't see Poile trading away one of his two centers that is even close to being a top six center, especially considering the guy waived his NTC to come here because of his wife. Not for a single year, or more realistically a partial year, of Parise.

Quote:
Quote:
WE aren't staring at being almost a million dollars over the cap and we're in no danger of hitting a cap ceiling. Trading Shea isn't really of benefit to us.

As for Semin being a discipline problem, so was Sergei Kostitsyn. Sometimes a move out of the media spotlight can be very helpful. And let's face it...Nashville is pretty far out of the media spotlight. ;-)
Semin's problems seem to be that he just doesn't care. He has a ton of skill, but he only cares half of the time. I agree with Matt Bradley when he said that Semin could be in the conversation for one of the best forwards in the league if he would put in 100% rather than the 50% or so he is giving now. That's a pretty big risk to take on a team that prides itself on, and succeeds through, hard work. Not only could it cost us, though I'm sure Semin could produce enough to cover that, it could create a rift in the locker room. Weber could take it as a slight to his captaincy, and Semin might be even less inclined to play hard. These are very real possibilities to consider when trading for a guy on such a high cap hit when he is going to be a UFA at season's end. I'd say risk it if they can take what we can provide, but don't overpay by much to get him if you overpay at all. Radulov burned us in the past, so if there is even a hint that Semin is unhappy in the NHL I wouldn't expect Poile to trade away any roster players.

And as Paranoid said above me, Washington has about 100 options to get them back under the cap. Trading Semin isn't on the list.

Quote:

I think the Caps are set right now. They might get into the season and find a need either through the team's play or through injuries, but as of right now I don't think there is a glaring hole. At least not one that can only be plugged by trading Semin. I don't think they will trade him unless he simply begins to flat out refuse to play.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
glenngineer

Weber for Parise. Fills needs for both teams. Get it done already.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
token grinder

Potential 30 goal forwards that are UFA next season that I would kick the tires on"

Semin: Beck and Josi
Parise: 1st, Wilson, Josi
Penner: 2nd
Hemsky: 1st
Boyes: 4th (only bc buffalo is up against the cap. we'd do them a favor)
Kostitsyn: 2nd or a 3rd and Roussel

Guys with this season and next under contract (thus paying more):
Crosby: 2 firsts, Wilson, Josi, and Suter
Iginla: 1st plus whatever young dman they want
Perry: 1st, Wilson, and josi
Getzlaf: see Perry
Hartnell: 3rd plus Engren or 2nd teir d prospect
Horton: 2nd plus Josi or Engren or Lindback
JStaal: 1st plus wilson and 2nd tier d prospect

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Matt Bradley begs to differ

Okay, so he doesn't give it his all. He is still a point-per-game player. They're not going to give him away for extra bottom-6 forwards and a draft pick.