HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malcolm Subban hopes to follow brother P.K. to NHL

Old
08-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post

Funny seeing him to the SS SubbanSpinorama. It's like a family gene thing.
His skating is exactly like PK.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:11 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
His skating is exactly like PK.
But better and smoother.

I'm really impressed by the video and i'm pretty sure he will play for the canadiens.

The Nordiques had the Statsny's we have the Subban's

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
I have yet to see anything about Jordan yet. Malcolm, I really wasn't impressed with. Looked shaky, lateral movement was a bit slow, very sloppy rebounds. Plus we have Price, so is there really a need?

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:24 AM
WestIslander

Jordan Subban will ge good but I think P.K. is the best of the three and I think that P.K. is the Eric Staal to the younger brothers at this point in his career.

I would love Jordan in the future too, but it all depends on where he is ranked and where we are drafted, a lot of teams missed out on P.K. and are now beating themselves over it, but they won't make the same mistake with Jordan or even Malcolm.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post

From what I've heard, Jordan plays a very similar high octane game to PK, and I think I recall him saying he models his game after Shea Weber ()! No clue whether Jordan has the same defensive strengths as PK who (besides that freak stretch in the middle of the season) was really impressive IMO, or whether he'll turn into the physical specimen that PK is.
He's training 2 a days with PK at laylor systems and from what I've understood he's benching nearly 300... So the physical part he's more advanced than PK at the same age. His skating also looks smoother. He could be a top 10 pick.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Gainey#1*

When is Jordan Subban eligible for the draft?

Does anyone know when they think he will go in the draft?

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:09 AM
neofury*

Doesn't Malcom Subban project as a #1 in the AHL / career backup in the NHL? Or is it way too early to say? I hadn't heard anything crazy about the kid.

As per Jordan Subban I think it would be worth taking a stab in the dark and just using a 1st on this kid. He will definitely be on more peoples radar and if he projects to go 30-60th I would use any pick after around 18th to just long shot it. I know it sounds crazy but when we drafted PK people didn't think much of it. For every Jared Staal there is a Jordan, Marc etc who all made it after Eric did.

It won't be like Sergei Kostitsyn where we can use a later pick. This is PK Subban's brother not Andrei Kostitsyn's, and at the time some people though S. Kost would be better than Andrei but nobody projected him to be really out of the scouts and analysts. I believe it wasn't just PK who said his brother is better at the same age he was.

If we have to trade up to like 10th spot it may be better to just go for BAP at that point but honestly I think with our scouts and their knowledge of the Subbanian developmental curve they'd still possibly take Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post

I'd say anywhere from 5th to 60th.

If he develops well a team will take a shot in the dark by the 5th pick I figured just due to him being similar to his brother in work ethic. If PK developed fast his brother might too.

If he develops poorly a team will still likely use a low 2nd to cash in on the chance of having a late star pick.

I can't see him going past the 2nd round even if he had a terrible year pre-draft. Somebody will take the risk on him and it looks like he's already fairly good defensively unlike PK who started off very bad defensively but then became a god. So imagine if he develops at the same rate PK did? He already appears to be physically and defensively ahead of PK for the same age. Same with skating looks to me like he's been practicing even hard than PK did for his age, likely as a result of PK showing him the ropes.

This is nothing but good for Jordan.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-18-2011 at 08:26 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:31 AM
PricePkPatch

I can imagine Jordan as a rookie on our team with Hal Gill as the D coach.

I say we burn a high pick on the kid. Would show good loyalty to PK to trust into his brother. We might sign him for a very long and advantageous contract in return.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:34 AM
gusfring

Jordan, I'll take. Malcolm? Pass...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Jordan, I'll take. Malcolm? Pass...
While I don't doubt he's good, we have a #1 goalie right now. We would end up either throwing Price out or trading away Malcolm, neither would be good for our relationship with this family.

No doubt he's good, just too much politics involved. Family politics, you don't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post

2013...so at this point, way too soon to make a guess at where he would go. Seems like a first rounder now but that doesn't mean much.

There's also their cousin, Marselis Subban (also a defenseman), but he seems to be the Jared Staal of the family if you will...not a lot of hype there.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
skule123

Mike Richards and Don Cherry are already practicing their overblown outrage.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Habskrieg

I'd love to have all three Subbans. But I wouldn't want to see another Halak vs Price thing between the pipes. Would be a terrible idea, especially if Malcolm runs his mouth of like PK and that if you piss off Malcolm somehow, I doubt PK would be happy bout it. Besides, Malcolm Subban's a Lundqvist fan, I think he goes to NYR for when Henrik retires. Would love to have Jordan though, he seems to have learned a lot of tricks from his oldest brother, plays almost like him. Would love to have all 3, but too dangerous.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
otto bond

Should be a LW in my eye....or Center. I like his puck ability , his drive and will to carry the puck to the net.
I understand they said the same thing about PK but it's more evident this time, play him upfront.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Should be a LW in my eye....or Center. I like his puck ability , his drive and will to carry the puck to the net.
I understand they said the same thing about PK but it's more evident this time, play him upfront.
That's exactly what Bobby Orr's dad thought though. When his coach switched him to D he grudgingly accepted it but he wasn't pleased with the coach making that decision, felt his son was a natural C.

Look how that turned out

Old
08-18-2011, 09:39 AM
ChoseLa

Jordan is better than PK was at his age, then PK made stellar jumps in the next three developpement years. So it doen't mean much.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:54 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Jordan is better than PK was at his age, then PK made stellar jumps in the next three developpement years. So it doen't mean much.
In my opinion those jumps had a lot to do with physical maturity. Jordan is already developing faster physically than PK did as a result of training the way PK does currently but at the younger stages.

Not saying it's a guaranteed thing but looks good so far!

Last edited by neofury*: 08-18-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
habitue*

Yesss !

Let's get "Malcolm in the Middle" !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post

I think Price vs ____ is finally moot... Now the best shot our back-ups have is: "Carey Price: Should he play 70 games, or 60 games"
Maybe Subban will not last very long as a Hab if he were to be a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I wouldn't mind using a 5th or later on Subban next year. Anything higher is silly.
I'm sure he will be taken long before the 5th round comes around the corner, unless you're talking about a 5th overall. If we are out of the playoffs before the ECF and still end up 6-8th in the conference, maybe a 2nd would make us get [Malcolm] Subban. However, if we go to the ECF (or to the SCF, or better still, win the Cup) then maybe a 27th-30th overall pick would land us Subban.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
In my opinion those jumps had a lot to do with physical maturity. Jordan is already developing faster physically than PK did as a result of training the way PK does currently but at the younger stages.

Not saying it's a guaranteed thing but looks good so far!
Yes but being good and developpe faster physicaly is still far from Becoming the number 1 d-men on an NHL team at 21, there is a ton of players who were more skilled and more mature physicaly in the OHL when PK was 16, still we've never heard of most of them. PK had one of the festest developpement i've ever heard of, right after we drafted him he went crazy good at everything.

That said, Jordan should be a Habs.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Protest the Hero

He looks like he's playing forward for most of the video. If he can physically mature as much as Subban this kid can be real good in the future.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
deandebean

In the Jordan video, the Flyers team he was playing sucked lol. What was the final score: 15-0?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Didn't want to start a thread just for this, but I got a question:

Do you believe the Habs will go out of their way to draft Jordan Subban, by trading prospects and draft picks to move up? Would he even want to play on the same team as his big bro, possibly in his shadow?
The habs took Matheiu Carle ahead of a 2nd round pick name that might bring back some memories, Geoffrion.

So no.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:00 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The habs took Matheiu Carle ahead of a 2nd round pick name that might bring back some memories, Geoffrion.

So no.
Uhh...what?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Uhh...what?
Blake Geoffrion grandson of Bernie? Ringing bells?

I figured the habs would go after a relative of a hall of famer before superstars like Maxwell and Carle or the next Subban.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote