HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Standings West

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
  #76
masterofallxix
Registered User
 
masterofallxix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego/ San Jose
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Anaheim was the better team. Nashville was the better team in that series.
It should also be noted that Anaheim played that series w/o their number one goaltender.
The Ducks were ravaged by injuries all year. Not just Hiller at the end.

Your other questions?
SJ was the better team. Ana matched up against them well and was the better team in that series.
I don't know about all that...by your logic then, you'd probably say Vancouver was the better team than Boston...but Boston won the championship because they matched up better?? Just because a team is better on paper...doesn't mean theyre the better team. Keyword here is TEAM. This takes into account matchups and etc. When two teams play eachother and one wins out, that gives you a better idea of who the better team actually is, rather than comparing standings and pointing out that because of the fact one team finished in a higher spot than the other (albeit a very, very small margin) it makes one team better than the other. Since Championships are won by the BEST team, by your logic, the championship should be given to the Presidents Trophy winner...(which I wouldn't mind...that means the Sharks would have one championship and the Ducks would have none) hehehe

EDIT: As for the Nashville/Anaheim reference, I agree...I think it could have been a different outcome if the Ducks had Hiller. But the fact that you said SJ was the better team that year they lost to Anaheim in the playoffs, is making me question you. Even though I'm still PO'd about that series, if you're the better team, there's no way you lose 4 out of 6 games in the playoffs. If another team is able to outsmart/outplay/outmatch you in a playoff series, then I'm sorry you are not the better team. In this case, as much I hate admitting it, the Ducks were the better team as opposed to SJ...


Last edited by masterofallxix: 08-18-2011 at 06:17 PM.
masterofallxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:10 PM
  #77
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The truth isn't misleading. It's where they finished the season and Anaheim had much worse injury woes than the Kings.
In this instance, it is. When you make a statement like team X finished in position X while team why finished in position Y, you're making it to ephasize the disparity in positions. The problem is that you don't typically see a 1 point difference with a 3 ranking difference, so ephasizing the disparity is misleading.

If your point was Anaheim was better than LA because they finished higher in the standings, then simply saying it just like that is the more accurate way to get your point across.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
  #78
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
As a Ducks fan, I happen to think that if Kopitar didn't get injured, the Kings would've finished ahead.

I could be wrong, though.
no, you're correct Kopitars an all-star but Hiller is good.


Chicago will finish 1st in the west, yeah I went there...Crawford is there, Turco is gone.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
  #79
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Chicago will finish 1st in the west, yeah I went there...Crawford is there, Turco is gone.
Are you a writer for the Sports Forecaster magazine?

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:43 PM
  #80
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Are you a writer for the Sports Forecaster magazine?
nope its just that the Canucks lost some depth on defence and there offense kinda got exposed, we could talk goaltending but at the same time we'll be witnessing more Schneider during the season.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
  #81
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
nope its just that the Canucks lost some depth on defence and there offense kinda got exposed, we could talk goaltending but at the same time we'll be witnessing more Schneider during the season.
But the Canucks still play in the NW, and chances are they are the only playoff team in that division. Yes, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, even Edmonton could battle for the playoffs, all the other divisions have legitimate contenders. That's a huge reason why in my opinion they'll win the West again.

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:37 PM
  #82
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
But the Canucks still play in the NW, and chances are they are the only playoff team in that division. Yes, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, even Edmonton could battle for the playoffs, all the other divisions have legitimate contenders. That's a huge reason why in my opinion they'll win the West again.
I guess but the Sharks, Kings and Hawks will be dominating as well...nevermind the northwest.


Last edited by lakai17: 08-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.
lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
  #83
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
But the Canucks still play in the NW, and chances are they are the only playoff team in that division. Yes, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, even Edmonton could battle for the playoffs, all the other divisions have legitimate contenders. That's a huge reason why in my opinion they'll win the West again.
but will the NW be as weak as last season? Minny definitely upgraded, Calgary we can flip a coin on, very experienced club still. Colorado will improve, highly touted offense, nixe addition in goal. Edmonton improving by the season.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
  #84
MMonarchs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
no, you're correct Kopitars an all-star but Hiller is good.
Hiller is an all-star too (only one from the West to boot). Hopefully, he never will be again.

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  #85
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Fact is though, LA didn't have a better team. Regardless of how close it was, Anaheim finished ahead and the better team finishes ahead after an 82 game season.
Anaheim also faced exponentially more adversity and finished aheadan which is a sign of the better team.
Washington finished ahead of Boston, who was better? One regular season point certainly doesn't mean a team is the better team. And both Anaheim and LA had some major injuries to deal with, so I don't buy that argument either. You still have to show how I was vastly underrating the Ducks.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:07 PM
  #86
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The Ducks lost Getzlaf for part of the season too. Injuries are part of the game.
You mention "best player". I would rather lose my number 1 center than my number one goalie.
If I had the backup goalie that Anaheim did, I'd hope the same.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:50 PM
  #87
AvsFan7*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Basically anything can happen if certain players get injured, assuming EVERY Player thats a Question mark Health wise right now end up Healthy, and all teams are playing at 100% for most of the season, this is how I rank them:

1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Detroit
4. LA Kings
5. St Louis*
6. Anaheim*
7. Colorado*
8. Chicago
9. Nashville
10. Columbus
11. Minnesota
12. Calgary
13. Edmonton
14. Dallas
15. Phoenix

*- Teams with a * next to them are the Biggest Question Marks in the top 8 IMO, like I said earlier if all teams are 100% I think these are the best teams.

St Louis had alot of injuries last year and if they start off with injuries again, they can go from IMO a top 2 team in the Central, to a 11-13 rank team!

Anaheim's biggest Question Mark is Hiller, if he plays they will make playoffs and be a good team that can do damage in the playoffs, if Hiller cant play, they could find themselves on the outside looking in come Mid April in 9th Place!

The Biggest question mark filled team of all and my favorite team has to be the Avalanche, last year at January they were a top 5 team in the West, then they lost Fleishmann to a Freak Injury, Quincey to Shoulder Injury, Stewart to the Broken hand and eventual trading, Stastny wasnt playing at 100% for a week or two, Galliardi injured his wrist for a seccond time, and Foresbergs comeback failed! All of a sudden we had guys like Kevin Porter and Brandon Yip playing top 6 Minutes. We Had absolutely TERRIBLE Goaltending in Elliot and Budaj! This year we should have 5 x better Goaltending in Varly and Giguere, who if Healthy will both be very good Goalies likely with .915 Sv% or better, our Goalies Sv% last year was .895. Defensively we've basically replaced Foote with Jan Hejda, a Good Shut Down Dman kinda like Foote in his day, we have a Healthy Quincey back, Ryan Obyrne can now play bottom pairing minutes, and therefore be even more effective, Shane Obrien can play bottom 6 well to, and another big ? is how well Elliot or Barrie can play to replace Liles, our D will also be alot better then last year! Then we also add Landeskog, Mueller, and Kobasew to our offense, and only losing Fleishmann! All positions for the Avs improved, as long as they stay healthy, we should be a playoff contender! Even if Only Varly stays healthy we wont be in the basement this year probably around 9-12, but if all healthy I see 6-9!!


For anyone that reads the wall of Post, what do you think!!!!

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:57 PM
  #88
Quarter
Exploding Knees
 
Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhaley View Post
First time posting here hope im doing it right! Anyways heres how I think it will look in the west.

....

Sorry if I put your team too low. Let me know what you think or who I should move around.
Don't apologize for stating your opinion. As long as it's not based on pure spite and bias, it's a valid claim.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:24 PM
  #89
kittensmasher
moe.ron
 
kittensmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Over here we could also point out that people forget how capable Mason was in goal when the goaltending coach was in town.

Everybody has their "we're actually better than you think" excuse. Let's not overdo 'em, 'kay?
We're actually better than you think.





kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
  #90
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensmasher View Post
We're actually better than you think.





__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
  #91
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
but will the NW be as weak as last season? Minny definitely upgraded, Calgary we can flip a coin on, very experienced club still. Colorado will improve, highly touted offense, nixe addition in goal. Edmonton improving by the season.
It might be stronger, but still arguably the weakest division in the league, and definitely weakest in the West. I don't think Minny improved, more of a sideways move. Calgary, yes flip an coin, Colorado I think will surprise people this year but that still means fighting for 8th. Edmonton has (hopefully) improved but many still have pegged for a bottom 5 finish.

Each other division has 3 probably playoff participants, either Det, Chi, Nash (and Col and St. Louis have improved) or SJ, LA, and Anaheim. With the amount of intradivision games against lesser quality teams give Van a huge advantage in my eyes for the #1 seed.

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  #92
Lezgosharkz13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Fact is though, LA didn't have a better team. Regardless of how close it was, Anaheim finished ahead and the better team finishes ahead after an 82 game season.
Anaheim also faced exponentially more adversity and finished aheadan which is a sign of the better team.
sharks finish 1st and 2nd all the time, remember when the hawks won it? the sharks were 1 and chi 2, and chi was clearly the better team

Lezgosharkz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:50 AM
  #93
krazyhawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal/Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto4Now View Post
There is no pleasing everyone, but here is my attempt:

Tier 1 - Division Winners
Vancouver
San Jose
Detroit

Tier 2 - Playoffs/Division contenders
Chicago
Los Angeles
Anaheim

Tier 3 - Playoff Bubble
Nashville
St Louis
Columbus
Dallas
Calgary

Tier X - Big question mark (Could break out or bust)
Minnesota
Pheonix
Colorado
Edmonton
This pleases me !!

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:15 PM
  #94
Flamesjustwin
Registered User
 
Flamesjustwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London ON
Posts: 550
vCash: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
For anyone that reads the wall of Post, what do you think!!!!
I think you are dillusional if you think the Av's will make the playoffs. I will bet you anything they won't. Varlamov could not even keep the starting job on a stacked Caps team. I think it is a safe bet the Av's will be bottom 3 in the Conference again.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:58 PM
  #95
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,144
vCash: 500
1: Sharks
2: Vancouver
3: Hawks
4: LA Kings
5: Detroit
6: Anaheim
7: St. Louis
8: Nashville

9: Colorado
10: Columbus
11: Calgary
12: Minnesota
13: Dallas
14: Edmonton
15: Phoenix

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:58 PM
  #96
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
I think you are dillusional if you think the Av's will make the playoffs. I will bet you anything they won't. Varlamov could not even keep the starting job on a stacked Caps team. I think it is a safe bet the Av's will be bottom 3 in the Conference again.
Any reason for that assumption? Varly couldn't hold down the starting job for the caps because of injury. If as it states in his post everyone stays relatively healthy for every team than that concern is negated. In which case you have an extremely impressive young goalie who's used to facing a lot of shots on an offensively minded team and who steps up in big moments. I mean the biggest difference between last seasons avs and the avs of the season before was the Goalie play, as Anderson got incredibly ******** and distracted when he couldn't get a 4 year deal from the Avs in the offseason, and that the injuries stacked up striping the avs of all but 2 top 9 wingers by season's end. If they stay healthy there's no reason not to think the Avs won't at least be in that group of 6-12 teams battling for the final playoff spots and at that point they've got a good shot to be playing playoff hockey again as a Varly/Giguere pairing behind this much improved defense and one of the higher scoring offenses in the league can certainly make the playoffs.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
  #97
Talk Hockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Talk Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhaley View Post
First time posting here hope im doing it right! Anyways heres how I think it will look in the west.


1. Vancouver
2. San Jose
3. Chicago
4: Detroit
5: Los Angeles
6: Anaheim
7: Nashville
8: Columbus
9: Edmonton
10: Minnesota
11: Colorado
12: St. Louis
13: Calgary
14: Dallas
15: Phoenix


Sorry if I put your team too low. Let me know what you think or who I should move around.
Swap the Blues and Oilers.

__________________
Talk Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:18 PM
  #98
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Any reason for that assumption? Varly couldn't hold down the starting job for the caps because of injury. If as it states in his post everyone stays relatively healthy for every team than that concern is negated. In which case you have an extremely impressive young goalie who's used to facing a lot of shots on an offensively minded team and who steps up in big moments. I mean the biggest difference between last seasons avs and the avs of the season before was the Goalie play, as Anderson got incredibly ******** and distracted when he couldn't get a 4 year deal from the Avs in the offseason, and that the injuries stacked up striping the avs of all but 2 top 9 wingers by season's end. If they stay healthy there's no reason not to think the Avs won't at least be in that group of 6-12 teams battling for the final playoff spots and at that point they've got a good shot to be playing playoff hockey again as a Varly/Giguere pairing behind this much improved defense and one of the higher scoring offenses in the league can certainly make the playoffs.
Come up with excuses all you want for last season's suckery, but I don't buy that your goaltending is much better than last years. Varlamov is made of glass, and Giguere is well past his expiry date.

And I really don't understand why Aves fans get so mad that people have them as a bad team this year. They were a bad team last year and didn't improve much. 2 + 2 = 4

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
  #99
airlouche
Registered User
 
airlouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhaley View Post
First time posting here hope im doing it right! Anyways heres how I think it will look in the west.


1. Vancouver
2. San Jose
3. Chicago
4: Detroit
5: Los Angeles
6: Anaheim
7: Nashville
8: Columbus
9: Edmonton
10: Minnesota
11: Colorado
12: St. Louis
13: Calgary
14: Dallas
15: Phoenix


Sorry if I put your team too low. Let me know what you think or who I should move around.
Pretty nice job Wolf... I have the same 8 teams who clinch playoff spot. Not in the same order but pretty similar.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
  #100
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,395
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
1. LA Kings
2. Vancouver Canucks
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. Nashville Predators
8. St. Louis Blues
9. Minnesota Wild
10. Calgary Flames
11. Colorado Avalanche
12. Columbus Blue Jackets
13. Edmonton Oilers
14. Dallas Stars
15. Phoenix Coyotes

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.