HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koules back to the NHL??

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

vCash: 500
Koules back to the NHL??

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp10791

TORONTO Oren Koules came to the NHL from Hollywood, where he helped bring the world Charlie Sheen as a sitcom actor and a maniacal puppet torturing people in horror movies. So in cinematic terms, this has been Koules's storyline with the League:

The first act has Koules, passionate hockey fan and innovative marketer, teaming up with friend Len Barrie to achieve a dream: Owning an NHL franchise in the Tampa Bay Lightning, which they purchased in 2008.

The second act was the downfall: Barrie and Koules had a bitter split, and Koules eventually sold the franchise to Jeff Vinik in 2010 having watched the Lightning bleed money and turn fans apathetic while missing the playoffs.

The third act? It could turn out to be the redemption of Oren Koules, NHL owner.
Attending the NHL Research and Development Camp in Toronto, Koules confirmed that he's had discussions with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about returning to the League as an owner, saying Bettman put him "in touch with a couple of people."

For the ex-Lightning owner, there's both a passion to get back in the game an a desire to rewrite his legacy in the NHL.

"Of course there is. Everybody has pride," said Koules.
Koules came to the NHL as a maverick: an inventive and aggressive marketer who managed to turn the "Saw" movie franchise into one of the most success horror series in the last decade. There was every reason to believe he had the chance to be hockey's answer to Mark Cuban: Someone from outside the 'old boys club' that could inject some new vibrancy into the League's leadership.
But that success didn't transfer over to his stint in the NHL from 2008-10, even if some of his provocative ideas did.

"I had two problems. I had a partner that went bananas and the second problem is that the economy kicked us in the balls," he said. "We went from 38 million in tickets to 17 million."
As for his time with Barrie: "I signed documents to say I wouldn't talk about it."
His renewed interest in NHL ownership comes at a time when several NHL teams are for sale: The Phoenix Coyotes, Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues, officially. Teams like the New Jersey Devils are also looking for people to buy into current ownership groups.
Is it a buyer's market?

"Yes and no," said Koules, who was in Toronto to watch his son, Miles Koules, compete in the NHL Research and Development Camp. "I mean, what are you getting [in a franchise]? There are so many uncertainties with the economy and the CBA coming up. It's a buyer's market but you gotta make sure what you're getting.

"It's the usual suspects. I'd like to flash forward a year to see what happens with the new CBA."
As for the Lightning's newfound success under Vinik, GM Steve Yzerman and Coach Guy Boucher, Koules can't help but wonder what might have been.

"I actually took a lot of pride in [our stewardship of the team]. I really did. I think at one point 15 or 16 of the players out there were ours. They've got a great farm team now. We drafted really well. It was a circus at first, but by the time it was done Lawton did a really great job," he said.

"I would have liked to see through what we did. That's the hard part."

Hollywood loves a comeback story. So would Oren Koules.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:19 PM
chasespace

I hear Phoenix is open to any takers.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla;36007981

"I actually took a lot of pride in [our stewardship of the team
. I really did. I think at one point 15 or 16 of the players out there were ours. They've got a great farm team now. We drafted really well. It was a circus at first, but by the time it was done Lawton did a really great job," he said.
Oh shut the **** up. Those 15 players include Vinny, Marty, and Stamkos which you had nothing to do with besides a no brainer with Stamkos, not that impressive.

Yes you drafted well which was a nice change from Feaster but when your GMs best move is claiming Thompson off waivers you can't pretend like he was Sam Pollock.

Old
08-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
Oh shut the **** up. Those 15 players include Vinny, Marty, and Stamkos which you had nothing to do with besides a no brainer with Stamkos, not that impressive.

Yes you drafted well which was a nice change from Feaster but when your GMs best move is claiming Thompson off waivers you can't pretend like he was Sam Pollock.
I agree with you, but to be fair, Pollock took over the Montreal ****ing Canadiens.

We've also had the benefit of being able to see how Pollock's draft picks have panned out (although the jury is still out on Peter Marrin IMO).

Old
08-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Bolt32

To be honest, I didn't really have a huge problem with Oren. Always just thought he was a decent guy, just in way in over his head. If it happens again however, I will start to question his intelligence.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:09 AM
AidanPhalen13*

Dont forget about Purcell

Old
08-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
To be honest, I didn't really have a huge problem with Oren. Always just thought he was a decent guy, just in way in over his head. If it happens again however, I will start to question his intelligence.
Barrie was the biggest issue, that guy should be locked in

08-18-2011, 02:19 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Well, for all the heat he's getting I would rather say Lawton was kinda alright, he did what he could with what he had / was allowed to. Both Koules and Barrie were terrible.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:41 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Well, for all the heat he's getting I would rather say Lawton was kinda alright, he did what he could with what he had / was allowed to. Both Koules and Barrie were terrible.
Agreed, I mean he wasn't that bad at trading (or is he just fortunate we had to deal with Feasters trades before him?) without him we don't have Downie, Purcell or Thompson.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:47 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

I think Koules had his heart in the right place, but his judgement was pretty bad. Len Barrie as a partner. Melrose as head coach. Not allowing your GM to choose his own head coach.

If he ever gets an ownership slice with another team, I hope for their sakes it's a very small one.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I think Koules had his heart in the right place, but his judgement was pretty bad. Len Barrie as a partner. Melrose as head coach. Not allowing your GM to choose his own head coach.

If he ever gets an ownership slice with another team, I hope for their sakes it's a very small one.
The way the Lightning were supposed to be run under Koules and Barrie was intended to be significantly different from what had been done before.

It was supposed to be Oren and Len's show, and the GM would be more of a nominal figure, if there was even one to begin with. It was based on their logic that because they had hockey backgrounds, and more importantly the size of their wallets, that qualified them to run an NHL team.

Since their plan fell apart unbelievably quickly, thanks in part to Barrie going bananas (in Koules' words), they had to change gears back to a more traditional model.

It wasn't 'not allowing' Lawton to pick his head coach so much as it was not wanting to completely hand over the reins from those initial aspirations.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 08-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old
08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The way the Lightning were supposed to be run under Koules and Barrie was intended to be significantly different from what had been done before.

It was supposed to be Oren and Len's show, and the GM would be more of a nominal figure, if there was even one to begin with. It was based on their logic that because they had hockey backgrounds, and more importantly the size of their wallets, that qualified them to run an NHL team.

Since their plan fell apart unbelievably quickly, thanks in part to Barrie going bananas (in Koules' words), they had to change gears back to a more traditional model.

It wasn't 'not allowing' Lawton to pick his head coach so much as it was not wanting to completely hand over the reins from those initial aspirations.
Too bad Koules couldn't get over that bit. He would have saved himself, the team and the fans a whole lot of grief and trauma.

You buy a team with decent talent at the core, a pretty good fanbase, a recent championship and somehow manage to turn the whole organization into complete **** within two years. That's a special kind of dysfunctional there, even by Oren's standards of "logic". You would think that he (I'm excepting Barrie here because there is no logic for the clinically insane)would have picked up on the looming disaster a bit sooner. Goes back to him having a severe case of bad judgement.

Old
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I know Barrie talked to Sather (seriously) about trading Stamkos ridiculously early on, but what else did he do that has him being labeled as crazy?

This does illustrate how having enough money to buy a team does not necessarily make you a good evaluator of talent. No matter how many, or whose elbows to the chops you might've taken.

Old
08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think a lot of it had to do with them just being rookie owners and didnt know what it took to be successful in the league. In other words they were unprepared.. and just jumped at the opportunity to own a NHL franchise. They made a lot of mistakes but they did bring in Downie, Purcell, and Thompson. The Malone contract is still crazy though.

Old
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Quote:
I know Barrie talked to Sather (seriously) about trading Stamkos ridiculously early on, but what else did he do that has him being labeled as crazy?

This does illustrate how having enough money to buy a team does not necessarily make you a good evaluator of talent. No matter how many, or whose elbows to the chops you might've taken.
Maybe the ridiculous amount of moves that where made to shuffle players on and off the team. It's hard to tell who was in charge before Bettman stepped in but it's possible Len or Oren had a little too much fun playing GM and then bickered on who should stay and who should leave, like Vinny.

Old
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:

Do you really need another example? That's not insane enough?

If it's true that Barrie forced Boyle into accepting a trade due to a personal grudge, that's another. I don't really know the validity of that, and Boyle was overpaid, but it was not a good trade and it was handled in an extremely sleazy way. Maybe crazy isn't the correct term, but he sure isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Kinda wish that Koules hadn't signed the papers agreeing to not speak about it. Would have been interesting. For all the leaks the Lightning had during that period I can only imagine what didn't get out into the public.

Old
08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
In Barrie's defense, trading Stamkos to the Rangers was an April fools joke by Larry Brooks.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:20 PM
TBLHoser

Whatever the actual facts are, they all had a hand in it and almost ruined the franchise. Couldn't be happier with the group we have now and the future ahead of us...

Closed Thread