HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG HD on FiOS?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2011, 11:48 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I can't speak for all the workers, only the ones that I know and I have seen. For the regular workers, I don't know if they actually take as long as you say they do, but at least they know what they're doing. A friend of mine called to have their phone fixed, and after taking hours..not only was the phone not fixed, but they also lost their internet in the process. Just a warning to all the people here looking to get it installed.

Also, they want everyone to take a 30k pay cut and have no medical benefits, so yeah, hope your'e happy.
It's a free country. If they don't like the job or the salary/benefits that come with it they are free to find a better opportunity for themselves.

Old
08-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Thanks for all the replies, guys - I really appreciate all the input - after some careful consideration, I think I'll hold off on switching over until MSG HD is available on FiOS as I'm sure these promotions will come & go.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
redbranch

probably the best route. You're correct, they have promos all the time. It's almost impossible to get fios when they're *not* having a promo.

I miss MSG HD, but the other reasons for switching were too compelling. Most of what I actually watch on tv is hockey, but my wife is soo much happier with fios, I love the networked dvr, and my internet speeds are far better. and the cost difference means I can take my son to an extra Rangers game

Old
08-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Fios really is great. Amazing customer service, as well. The MSG HD could take awhile, it shouldn't really hold someone back from getting it, the SD isn't that bad.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Jim Dolan is a complete piece of garbage. Fios is far superior to cable, which is why he's pulling this nonsense with MSGHD. I love Fios and tolerate MSGSD just to spite him. Again, he's a total piece of crap

Old
08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Fios really is great. Amazing customer service, as well. The MSG HD could take awhile, it shouldn't really hold someone back from getting it, the SD isn't that bad.
Yup. Besides, there will be a cold day in hell before FiOS gets MSG HD.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Mods, if there's a better place to put this, please feel free to merge - it seems to me it's something of interest to many posters and I couldn't find a recent thread that discusses the subject.

I've had Cablevision for the last 8 years or so. The service has been pretty much crap, but when I moved into my current neighborhood it was the only choice and I haven't wanted to have to deal with changing. Now, I'm moving and I have to pick a new provider for cable and internet. In my new neighborhood (Williamsburg), my choices will be TWC and FiOS.

Based on casual research on the internet, FiOS sounds like the best option for a variety of reasons - better TV signal, better features, faster internet and a better price. But of course, as a die-hard Rangers (and Knicks) fan, none of that matters if I can't get the MSG channels, preferably in HD. Unfortunately, the same casual research seems to indicate that it's still not possible to get these channels in HD on FiOS.

Based on what I can gather online, it appears that Verizon filed a complaint with the FCC seeking access to this programming from Cablevision, the FCC ruled in Verizon's favor, but Cablevision took the decision to the court of appeals and... that's it. The last update I can find is that oral arguments in the case were heard in February of this year.

Can anyone provide more info - or, better yet, an update? As of this morning, there's no MSG HD listed on the FiOS channel listings and I can't find anything after February regarding the ongoing suit. Much appreciated!
I live on Long Island and was thinking of trying FiOS. The lack of MSG in HD was a major factor in me sticking with Cablevision. Also, the more you pay, the better you get with FiOS. So my initial offer of $69.99 a month (plus taxes and all that which is their "good" plan) was quickly bumped up to about $115. Then, if I want HBO, which is not included, it's another $16 a month. And if I get the "best" plan, it's even more money, right around what I would get with Cablevision....and minus MSG in HD. I heard someone mention on another board that watching hockey in SD sucks.

Recently I gave up my season tickets as they were going up in price and I just wasn't able to get to games as much as I was before marriage, houses and a baby. I figured it was OK as we had a nice TV and watching in HD was great. Now I have to give that up? Don't think so. FiOS seems good, but the more you pay, the better the service. If you buy their "good" plan, expect good internet service.

Also, I've never had a problem with Cablevision. If something was wrong, I'd call them up and they'd take care of it. I've probably had to call them 4 times in years, and that counts 2 times this year already. So it's not as bad as people make it out to be, at least to me.

Bottom line: I'm sticking with Cable.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:08 PM
SRTtoZ

Fios is by far 1000000x better than Cablevision or TWC. If you ONLY watch the Rangers by all means stick with TWC and pay the bare minimum and watch them in HD...but if you also watch movies, TV shows, football, baseball (redzone, NFL network etc) then switch to Fios. I pay way less for the most expensive package on Fios and I get 40mb UP and 40mb DOWN internet speed (which equates to about 5mb/s download speeds). Why even own a 1080p HDTV when you source it with crappy compressed cable? I was a cablevision subscriber for 25 years before I just switched to Fios because of the whole Fox issue last year. Best thing ive ever done hands down...

Old
08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Since we're discussing cable here...I have TWC in Bay Ridge, and I've had some really annoying issues with it. I don't seem to see any kind of pattern here, but some channels would start flashing on and off. So let's say I'm watching MSG. You'll see video and audio, then the video will disappear for a second or two, then it'll come back on. Sometimes it would only happen once every 10-20 seconds, sometimes it would happen constantly. Flash on, flash off. The audio would remain.

This was really annoying last season and screwed up several of my Ranger game DVRs. I finally went and got a new box a few weeks ago, but I think I've seen it happening again. It's definitely not my TV, which is relatively new and works fantastic with my computer hook up, XBOX, etc.

Sometimes, a bunch of seemingly random channels (and not just HD channels, either) will just all go black. You still see the TWC interface crap, and the guide, but the rest of the screen is just black.

Anyone have this kinda problem? When FiOs gets MSG HD, I'm switching.
I would call them. You may need a booster or a new cable run.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
hockeygoon15

My one complaint with FiOS is that when watching a Rangers playoff game last season, FiOS randomly cut to local commercials during play on at least two occasions (one happened to be during a rangers breakaway in OT I believe). Needless to say, I was not pleased. This isn't something that has happened since, so I don't think it's a recurring issue, but that is my only FiOS complaint besides the lack of MSG(+) HD. Besides that, FiOS is miles ahead of cable in every category.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
My one complaint with FiOS is that when watching a Rangers playoff game last season, FiOS randomly cut to local commercials during play on at least two occasions (one happened to be during a rangers breakaway in OT I believe). Needless to say, I was not pleased. This isn't something that has happened since, so I don't think it's a recurring issue, but that is my only FiOS complaint besides the lack of MSG(+) HD. Besides that, FiOS is miles ahead of cable in every category.
This is what I keep hearing, but it's miles behind in the one category I care most about. I watch 2 things on TV, for the most part. The Rangers and Giants. And the Rangers play a lot more then the Giants do.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
I miss MSG HD, but the other reasons for switching were too compelling. Most of what I actually watch on tv is hockey, but my wife is soo much happier with fios, I love the networked dvr, and my internet speeds are far better. and the cost difference means I can take my son to an extra Rangers game
I love the FiOS Remote DVR App for my Blackberry....

Old
08-18-2011, 01:17 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
That's not a FiOS issue -- that's an issue with the individual station making a mistake and putting a commercial on at the wrong time. Strange situation, one that shouldn't happen, but that's not FiOS.

Old
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
pld459666

I have comcast in Danbury CT and within the last 4 months we got MSG in HD.

Can't wait for the season to start so I do not have to rely on Versus or the NHL network for games in HD.

whoohooooo

Old
08-18-2011, 05:03 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Do you know what upscaling is?

I know I'm not receiving native 16:9 widescreen format from an SD feed... I'm telling you my cable box is upscaling the signal, and displaying it as you see it in those images... It looks pretty damn good for an SD feed, and doesn't look anything like the picture quality when people take SD feeds and have their TV stretch the image to fit the screen, that's when you see significant distortion of the image... Stretching an image and upscaling an image are NOT the same. Do you have FiOS?
I do. And though your TV isn't stretching the image, from the photos you supplied, the Verizon box is. Yes, obviously stretching and upscaling aren't the same thing, but what you are showing us is both. I do the same thing on my display to avoid the side pillars but I know I'm sacrificing some action, minute it may be, on all sides.

To me, the only advantage Cablevision's boxes have to Verizon's is the option to allow native pass-thru of any channel. That way my display or receiver does the scaling. The scalers in average HDTVs are better than the ones in the boxes. This option will be included when Verizon roles out update 1.9 for their boxes in this area. The strike, as well as some bugs in the firmware, is impacting release here.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:37 PM
alkurtz

FIOS salesperson was back at my door today again trying to convince me that they offered MSG HD; said that he had it himself and you just needed one of their "new boxes." Told him essentially that he was full of it (he tried to tell me that all of you on the boards didn't know what you are talking about!).

He got doubly upset when I told him that even if they carried MSG HD, I would have nothing to do with the company until the strike is settled.

Lesson here: beware the FIOS guy, they lie (and this post from someone who detests Comcast)

Old
08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I do. And though your TV isn't stretching the image, from the photos you supplied, the Verizon box is. Yes, obviously stretching and upscaling aren't the same thing, but what you are showing us is both. I do the same thing on my display to avoid the side pillars but I know I'm sacrificing some action, minute it may be, on all sides.
It depends on the channel & the signal being broadcast.... You're on FiOS right? Tune to channel 127 which is History International. It's a non-HD channel, but it displays full screen 16:9 format, with zero distortion, and crisp/clear picture quality.... There is no HD counterpart for this channel.

I do acknowledge there is some stretching on my set during MSG broadcasts, but it's not easily discernible unless you really look for it or concentrate on it. Compare this image to someone viewing a MSG (SD Feed) with a cablebox that does not scale video. It would be much worse and lower resolution. In fact a couple users on the previous thread, had FiOS, but did not have their boxes set to scale the video resolution and when they adjusted their settings, they noticed a marked improvement in the picture quality. In the context of this thread discussion, you may have some users thinking if they switch to a cable company that does not have MSG HD, that they're going to be stuck with some miserable picture quality when watching Ranger games. The reason I referred to the pictures I posted, is to illustrate that it's not nearly as bad as some might think, and quite tolerable. I adjusted pretty quickly, and I had previously been watching MSG HD for the prior 3 seasons when I had CV.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Definitely not. Had FIOS for a while, watching the Rangers on SD was painful. Sure the SD quality is better than CV's SD quality, but to compare CV HD to FIOS SD is laughable.
It's really not. Cablevision has some pretty bad HD.

Old
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's really not. Cablevision has some pretty bad HD.
I think you're right. When I moved a few years ago and switched from CV to TWC, I noticed a marked improvement in the HD (when the **** actually works, that is).

Old
08-18-2011, 11:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
This is what I keep hearing, but it's miles behind in the one category I care most about. I watch 2 things on TV, for the most part. The Rangers and Giants. And the Rangers play a lot more then the Giants do.
Sadly, the one channel that's a deal-breaker for me just happens to be MSG-HD. I'd be all over FIOS if not for that rat b*****d named Dolan. lol

Old
08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
pwoz

Fios is great except I can't get the Rangers in HD in central NJ.. it's been 3 years. I'm kicking myself over renewing my contract. F the union, too.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:16 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I want Fios, but they (obviously) aren't going to install it until this damn strike is over. I've got no cable and internet access is mediocre. If I miss one damn hockey game....

RANGERS =
Old
08-19-2011, 12:33 AM
truebluegoalie

I switched to fios this summer from DirectTV and since I live outside the NY area I have to also pickup the MLB/NHL packages to watch the Yankees/Rangers. I did it for baseball and it is awful. There are maybe 2 games in HD a night and no guarantee the game will be broadcast on the home network, in fact I very rarely get the games on YES (despite that I bought the package with YES). That was definitely one plus with Direct TV, almost always had the option of home/away feed and plenty of HD. I think for this upcoming NHL season I am going to pick up the online NHL package, and hook up my laptop to the tv, that is much better than the thought of watching every rangers game on the away network (I'd go nuts listening to the Buffalo, Pitsburgh, Jersey etc. feeds) IIRC I can choose which broadcast I get. Additionally I can watch the games when I work nights and weekends which is about 2 weeks a month.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Fios is great except I can't get the Rangers in HD in central NJ.. it's been 3 years. I'm kicking myself over renewing my contract. F the union, too.
Easy buddy, it's not the IBEW's fault. It's Cablevisions fault.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I think you're right. When I moved a few years ago and switched from CV to TWC, I noticed a marked improvement in the HD (when the **** actually works, that is).
Yep. And TW is no great shakes, either. But it just ***** all over CV's HD.

Closed Thread