Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECHL Affiliate?

Old
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

vCash: 500
Hey, did anyone notice that in the article about Jake Marto signing with the Jets that "The contract calls for Marto to play for either the St. Johnís IceCaps in the American Hockey League or the Colorado Eagles in the East Coast Hockey League."

Does this mean that the Jets might have some type of agreement with the new ECHL team in Loveland, Colorado to send some of their St. John's surplus down there?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...roup/homepage/

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Winnipeg/Columbus - Chicago
Colorado - Las Vegas
New Jersey/Buffalo - Gwinnett
Vancouver - Colorado

Probably will go that way, just speculating

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:59 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Winnipeg/Columbus - Chicago
Colorado - Las Vegas
New Jersey/Buffalo - Gwinnett
Vancouver - Colorado

Probably will go that way, just speculating
Out of sheer curiousity... why wouldn't NHL Colorado pick ECHL Colorado as their affiliate?

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:38 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Hey, did anyone notice that in the article about Jake Marto signing with the Jets that "The contract calls for Marto to play for either the St. Johnís IceCaps in the American Hockey League or the Colorado Eagles in the East Coast Hockey League."

Does this mean that the Jets might have some type of agreement with the new ECHL team in Loveland, Colorado to send some of their St. John's surplus down there?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...roup/homepage/
I actually asked the guy who wrote this article about that over Twitter after you posted, he essentially presumed that there had to be an affiliation agreement if Marto was going to be potentially sent to Colorado. I don't really know what to make of it, but I wouldn't mind ECHL affiliation with the Eagles, though

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:39 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Out of sheer curiousity... why wouldn't NHL Colorado pick ECHL Colorado as their affiliate?
Well why isn't Chicago affiliated with the Wolves and the ECHL team, but it would make sense but not all teams are like that

Old
08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Well why isn't Chicago affiliated with the Wolves and the ECHL team, but it would make sense but not all teams are like that
Chicago is not a desireable affiliate. The Wolves have this funny notion of being a Wolf first, [insert parent organisation] second. There's a reason the Canucks were trying to bribe anyone they could find to take Chicago after they lost their affiliation in Manitoba.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
Chicago is not a desireable affiliate. The Wolves have this funny notion of being a Wolf first, [insert parent organisation] second. There's a reason the Canucks were trying to bribe anyone they could find to take Chicago after they lost their affiliation in Manitoba.
It will be interesting to see how the development system of the Canucks is affected by moving from the Moose to the Wolves.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
It will be interesting to see how the development system of the Canucks is affected by moving from the Moose to the Wolves.
Prediction. The Canucks will miss the Manitoba Moose, a lot.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
The Manitoba Moose also prioritised the Calder Cup. These two clubs were the most professional and selfish (in respect to developing the parent club's prospects) in the American Hockey League. But the Wolves were another tier above the Moose in that respect. The benefit for us is that we have a General Manager and an Assistant General Manager who have operated AHL clubs as if they were NHL clubs.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
There's no doubting that. When it came to affiliates, the Canucks had it good. I'm willing to bet they won't feel so much like that in a year or two.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Sunshine36616

Gladiators Have New Affiliate

I didn't see this posted anywhere. Not sure if this is okay to put it here but I wanted to post it because the irony is just too bizarre and I'm not sure if some would see it in the ECHL section.

The Gwinnett Gladiators, former ECHL affilate are now the affiliate of...The Phoenix Coyotes.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I didn't see this posted anywhere. Not sure if this is okay to put it here but I wanted to post it because the irony is just too bizarre and I'm not sure if some would see it in the ECHL section.

The Gwinnett Gladiators, former ECHL affilate are now the affiliate of...The Phoenix Coyotes.
What a triangle of hockey organizations.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

So Gwinnett Just signed with Phoenix, so by the looks of it were Signing with Colorado, but hard to believe since its like a long ways away from St. Johns

Old
08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
So Gwinnett Just signed with Phoenix, so by the looks of it were Signing with Colorado, but hard to believe since its like a long ways away from St. Johns
Does anyone have an idea if or when this affiliation will be confirmed?

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
The St.John's Maple Leafs used to be affiliated with the Memphis River Kings so it's no big deal.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:55 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea if or when this affiliation will be confirmed?
I looked up Winnipeg ECHL affiliate and it said that on a players contract they will be sent down to Colorado, I kinda like the Idea though of having them.

Cause were starting Fresh
Atlanta to Winnipeg and Winnipeg Being affiliated with the team they took over and being affiliated with them and a new ECHL team, like the sound/look of a fresh start.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Crazed Fan

There is talk that Thunder Bay may be in the hunt for an ECHL franchise... through Ice Edge of all people... so who knows if this will ever take fight.
Perhaps we hold out another year or so and wait for Tbay. Which in my opinion is the best option. The people of Northern Ontario are essentially Manitoban. I would like to see a connection between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. (i kind of wanted the Moose to go there, but am still thrilled with St. John's)

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
There is talk that Thunder Bay may be in the hunt for an ECHL franchise... through Ice Edge of all people... so who knows if this will ever take fight.
Perhaps we hold out another year or so and wait for Tbay. Which in my opinion is the best option. The people of Northern Ontario are essentially Manitoban. I would like to see a connection between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. (i kind of wanted the Moose to go there, but am still thrilled with St. John's)
Long term, I think St. John's would be better affiliated with another NHL franchise due to geography. Our AHL affiliate in TBay would be great.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:56 PM
PostmanPat1919

I think geography is overrated these days in regards to AHL affiliation. Winnipeg was fine with affiliates in the Maritimes and Quebec back in the 80s and 90s, and a St. John's affiliate will work out fine now. TNSE believes in a "building through the draft" model which involves a heavy reliance upon the AHL, they wouldn't have agreed to putting the Moose in St. John's if it wasn't in the long-term plan.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
I think geography is overrated these days in regards to AHL affiliation. Winnipeg was fine with affiliates in the Maritimes and Quebec back in the 80s and 90s, and a St. John's affiliate will work out fine now. TNSE believes in a "building through the draft" model which involves a heavy reliance upon the AHL, they wouldn't have agreed to putting the Moose in St. John's if it wasn't in the long-term plan.
THIS.We got the highest sth base in the AHL and geography between here and Winnipeg aint so bad in comparison to some.(LA-Manchester,San Jose -Worchester) etc.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:38 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
One thing that no one has mentioned about St. John's being the Jets affiliate is that there will be NO emergency call up's with them. It just takes too long to get to Winnipeg from St. John's for someone to make here on very short notice. That is, unless they are already on the road. The wife had to go to St. John's for a conference couple years ago. She had to go thru Toronto to get there. Whole trip there took her 17 hours.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
One thing that no one has mentioned about St. John's being the Jets affiliate is that there will be NO emergency call up's with them. It just takes too long to get to Winnipeg from St. John's for someone to make here on very short notice. That is, unless they are already on the road. That's why before it was made known that TNSE was leaning towards St. John's that I was hoping the Moose would have been sold (or leased as it be) to someone in Thunder Bay.
In 14 years of the Leafs one player missed a call up cause he was in a snowstorm in Providence.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Quote:
One thing that no one has mentioned about St. John's being the Jets affiliate is that there will be NO emergency call up's with them. It just takes too long to get to Winnipeg from St. John's for someone to make here on very short notice. That is, unless they are already on the road. The wife had to go to St. John's for a conference couple years ago. She had to go thru Toronto to get there. Whole trip there took her 17 hours.
Uh, not true.

Call-ups will be made, emergency or otherwise.

Also remember that emergency callups also have to arrive at away games, so geography has very little to do with it.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote