HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

for the love of god pull salo

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2003, 06:00 AM
  #26
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
One bad game? What about in vancouver when the only save he tried was to stack the pads.
LOL... every goal was an odd-man rush with a pass cross ice and a one-timer.

If you are faulting him for the Canucks game then your standards are ridiculously high.

Salo is the kind of goaltender who mimicks his team. If his team is playing well, he is playing well. The Oilers played 35 minutes of good hockey against the Blues, and that simply is not enough.

He deserved to be pulled that game, but this was a team noneffort.

As for the second goal... when a goaltender is up against the post like Salo was, you tend to lose your ability to control your rebounds. Salo has to set up on an angle towards the guy, and when you aren't facing a shooter head on, it is harder to put the rebounds where you want them to go.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 06:16 AM
  #27
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
LOL... every goal was an odd-man rush with a pass cross ice and a one-timer.

If you are faulting him for the Canucks game then your standards are ridiculously high.

Salo is the kind of goaltender who mimicks his team. If his team is playing well, he is playing well. The Oilers played 35 minutes of good hockey against the Blues, and that simply is not enough.

He deserved to be pulled that game, but this was a team noneffort.

As for the second goal... when a goaltender is up against the post like Salo was, you tend to lose your ability to control your rebounds. Salo has to set up on an angle towards the guy, and when you aren't facing a shooter head on, it is harder to put the rebounds where you want them to go.
THANK YOU! somebody who understands that that goal WAS NOT Tommy's fault! He actually controlled that as well as you can when you are up and hugging the post (it was only about 3/4 of a foot in front of the crease.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 07:19 AM
  #28
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
THANK YOU! somebody who understands that that goal WAS NOT Tommy's fault! He actually controlled that as well as you can when you are up and hugging the post (it was only about 3/4 of a foot in front of the crease.
Being a former goalie, those shots always messed me up. The times I tried to put the rebound in a "good place" I messed up huge (sometimes letting the puck in, but most times putting it in an even worse spot).

Eventually I learned to just try and stop it period, and get ready for either a rebound, or try to cover it up. That shot is a no-win situation for a goalie.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 08:41 AM
  #29
vb
Registered User
 
vb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Salo has never really been a goalie that relies mainly on positioning to get his saves in. He's not *that* technically sound as a goaltender like a Giguere. What Salo does do when he's on is anticipate the plays before they happen. When he's guessing right, he's very good. When he doesn't, he falters and we've all seen the results of that.
All true, I meant to comment more on the way he is reacting to 1 on 1 situations though, like the opening goal in the Canuck game.

It's unfortunate that he hasn't adapted his style of play similar to Giguere and the other butterfly goalies in the league. He's a big guy and a good skater with as you said good anticipation - it would work really well for him.

vb is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 08:51 AM
  #30
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
All true, I meant to comment more on the way he is reacting to 1 on 1 situations though, like the opening goal in the Canuck game.

It's unfortunate that he hasn't adapted his style of play similar to Giguere and the other butterfly goalies in the league. He's a big guy and a good skater with as you said good anticipation - it would work really well for him.
In all fairness on that one, he got most of the puck and it was more a bit of bad luck than bad judgement on that. If the puck was 0-2 feet off the ice, he makes the save.

dawgbone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.