HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury announces retirement

Old
08-19-2011, 10:44 AM
allstar3970

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
really makes you apreciate a truly classy player like markus naslund...ie the opposite of chris drury
again, please explain how he was "fleecing" us for the buyout money when he would've gotten paid either way. He clearly wanted to play and couldnt.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No idea how any Rangers fans can say anything nice about him. Screw Drury. He knew he was retiring and killed the team he supposedly loved as a child with his cap hit that he would have gotten anyway through insurance.
Wow this is wrong.

If I were in his shoes, I'd want an immediate paycheck as well.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
The entire buyout is still in effect.
Shucks... Screw you Drury

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Aug 19, 2011 11:24a

That's sure to annoy the NYR, who owe him $3.7 this year. RT @reporterchris: Chris Drury is retiring from hockey, according to the @NHLPA.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/John_Grigg/status/104574496215805953

The cap hit is $3.7M. Rangers owe him $1.66M per this and next season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
No idea how any Rangers fans can say anything nice about him. Screw Drury. He knew he was retiring and killed the team he supposedly loved as a child with his cap hit that he would have gotten anyway through insurance.
Agreed. And I still haven't forgiven him for 7.7. **** Drury

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
He had a great career, and while his time here will be forever ruined in the memories of most by his contract he provided plenty memorable goals and moments in his time here.

Always a class act, it's a shame to see someone seemingly not get to retire on their own terms.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Wow this is wrong.

If I were in his shoes, I'd want an immediate paycheck as well.
It's not wrong at all. Many, many players will retire from a team rather than soak the team with buyout money first. But Drury showed his character with that move.

His insurance would have covered his remaining contract due to injury. All players have insurance and teams have insurance on the players. Drury should've taken the insurance cash instead of being a punk and soaking a cap-strapped team that he claimed to love with millions in buy-out cash.

He would have gotten the full amount either way.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Agreed. And I still haven't forgiven him for 7.7. **** Drury
You shouldn't forgive our GM. He cant handle writing paychecks.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
again, please explain how he was "fleecing" us for the buyout money when he would've gotten paid either way. He clearly wanted to play and couldnt.
this.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
It's not wrong at all. Many, many players will retire from a team rather than soak the team with buyout money first. But Drury showed his character with that move.

His insurance would have covered his remaining contract due to injury. All players have insurance and teams have insurance on the players. Drury should've taken the insurance cash instead of being a punk and soaking a cap-strapped team that he claimed to love with millions in buy-out cash.

Thanks. I never knew there was a players insurance.

Old
RangerFan10

Quote:

I really doubt he was trying to screw the Rangers and he just wanted to continue his career. Would've made more sense for him to announce his retirement either earlier or later in the off-season if that were the case as well, because this is one of the only things for people to talk about in the hockey world and it very well might be for weeks.

Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
If he "clearly wanted to play", he would have signed on for cheap with a team and tried to do something in camp. He retired pretty quickly after the buy-out. Anyone with a clue knew he was going to retire. It was as obvious as can be.

Instead, he soaks us with buyout money and retires a few weeks later. It was a punk move and I am glad to be rid of him from this team.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:52 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Since the Rangers made the playoffs, that last regular season game against the Devils gets overlooked. Without Drury scoring that first goal, I don't know what the end result would have been of that game. If the Rangers lost that day the climate around here would be much, much different. It was his final breathe as a professional and he got the Rangers going that day - and got them in to the playoffs.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerFan10

Quote:
If he "clearly wanted to play", he would have signed on for cheap with a team and tried to do something in camp. He retired pretty quickly after the buy-out. Anyone with a clue knew he was going to retire. It was as obvious as can be.

Instead, he soaks us with buyout money and retires a few weeks later. It was a punk move and I am glad to be rid of him from this team.
lol you're assuming there were any offers

Old
Chimp

Hopefully this is the last time ever we need to see a thread about this little leecher. The best part about Drury was when he left. And when he left, he still managed to make you grind your teeth. If he at least could've shown some class and retired in a manner without making you hate him, but now? Screw him, his career and the horse he rode in on.

The most anti-captain of a captain I've seen in a long, long time, because I'm pretty sure it's not the captain's responsibility to drag his team down towards mediocrity.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-19-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Thanks. I never knew there was a players insurance.
Yep, like any other sport, you are going to get insurance to cover your career if it ends prematurely due to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I really doubt he was trying to screw the Rangers and he just wanted to continue his career. Would've made more sense for him to announce his retirement either earlier or later in the off-season if that were the case as well, because this is one of the only things for people to talk about in the hockey world and it very well might be for weeks.
So why wasn't he trying out with another team? Why didn't he try out in the minors? Drury made zero effort to "continue his career". Drury knew he was done. Anyone who paid attention knew he was done. Any player who really wanted to "continue his career" would have been trying out for someone in pre-season, rather than retiring soon after a buyout.

Old
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Sucks for Dru... I will always remember him for the player he was before the Rangers! Good luck In retirement Dru!! (I will pretend he never played for us)

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
RangerFan10

I mean have you guys ever heard chris drury speak? Does he really seem like the spiteful type to you?

Old
08-19-2011, 10:54 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
lol you're assuming there were any offers
So if Mr. Hockey is that wanting of a career, maybe he should have tried a lower level. He retired quickly after a buy-out. He knew he was done. His doctors knew he was done. The Rangers knew he was done. Most fans knew he was done. Instead of being a class act and not soaking the team with a cap hit, he should have retired, collected some insurance money, and enjoyed making crappy pizza.

Old
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't care what some people here say, I never lost any respect for Chris Drury. Guy wanted to play, and it's too bad he can't. Chris Drury was tougher than anyone on this board, and before his injury troubles, he was a guy I'd take on my team any day of the week.

**** Glen Sather for signing him to a contract that is going to result in a lot of people putting a black mark on Chris Drury's record of success.
That's it. **** Glen Sather for making him a very very rich man.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I mean have you guys ever heard chris drury speak? Does he really seem like the spiteful type to you?
He sounds monotonous and without emotion, so I have no idea if he "seem[s] spiteful".

Old
08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Why do we, as Rangers fans, have to care about Drury's perspective? I care about the Rangers first and foremost. The Rangers did not advance past the second round while he was with the club, and while he is just one part of the equation, that is what he was brought to NY to do. Given how disappointing Drury's tenure was from beginning to end, this is fitting.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
That's it. **** Glen Sather for making him a very very rich man.
Screw both of them, as far as I'm concerned.

Old
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

HOW IS THE ENTIRE BUYOUT STILL IN EFFECT!!! I could understand this year because he is no longer rangers property, but he SHOULD NOT get that money next year. That should be off the cap. THIS IS BS.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:56 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Why do we, as Rangers fans, have to care about Drury's perspective? I care about the Rangers first and foremost. The Rangers did not advance past the second round while he was with the club, and while he is just one part of the equation, that is what he was brought to NY to do. Given how disappointing Drury's tenure was from beginning to end, this is fitting.
It certainly is fitting.

I was one of Dru's biggest supporters here for quite some time until he proved that he could no longer hack it as a NHL player.

Good riddance, Dru. Hope you are never associated with the Rangers ever again in any aspect.