HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury announces retirement

Old
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
As a Chris Drury basher, I was never mad at Chris Drury. I was mad at the fans who couldn't see how dreadful he was every time he was on the ice.

Hopefully this wakes up some fans to realize that this guy was not wanted by any team for 2011-2012 and he wasn't cut out to play in 2010-2011.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rafalski walked away from $6M. He could have played another season. Drury has a degenerative knee. He knew it. The Rangers knew it. The Rangers paid Drury $30.25M. Sather probably or most definitely asked why Drury was not going to retire. Sather reportedly spoke to Drury in June. Instead of a press release on a Friday in August,Drury probably could have had a day like Doug Weight had. Now its nothing. No soup for you. Get to the back of the line. A stupid press release on NHLPA.com.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's not wrong at all. Many, many players will retire from a team rather than soak the team with buyout money first. But Drury showed his character with that move.

His insurance would have covered his remaining contract due to injury. All players have insurance and teams have insurance on the players. Drury should've taken the insurance cash instead of being a punk and soaking a cap-strapped team that he claimed to love with millions in buy-out cash.

He would have gotten the full amount either way.
Obviously after the first $30 mil give or take--he didn't love his childhood team anymore. It's still a win for us--addition by subtraction.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:04 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Rafalski walked away from $6M. He could have played another season. Drury has a degenerative knee. He knew it. The Rangers knew it. The Rangers paid Drury $30.25M. Sather probably or most definitely asked why Drury was not going to retire. Sather reportedly spoke to Drury in June. Instead of a press release on a Friday in August,Drury probably could have had a day like Doug Weight had. Now its nothing. No soup for you. Get to the back of the line. A stupid press release on NHLPA.com.

GTFO, Drury

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WestIslander

If he was healthy, I would of loved to see Montreal sign him for one season.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
This I agree on, if this can be appealed to the league it would be great.

I do not agree with the inevitable "Greedy Drury" posts that will be forthcoming. As many have posted, he would've gotten paid either way, he went the buyout route b/c he legitimately thought he could give it a shot at playing this upcoming season. Obviously it didn't pan out.

We'll always be disappointed in his production here, but he had a career most NHL'ers would kill for, tip of the hat to him.
I was gonna say exactly this but as you already did I'll just quote you. I wish him all the best in the future. I'm 100% positive he did not do this just to **** with the NYR.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Since the Rangers made the playoffs, that last regular season game against the Devils gets overlooked. Without Drury scoring that first goal, I don't know what the end result would have been of that game. If the Rangers lost that day the climate around here would be much, much different. It was his final breathe as a professional and he got the Rangers going that day - and got them in to the playoffs.
Agreed. Pretty much his final act of his career was what got us in to the post season.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't care what some people here say, I never lost any respect for Chris Drury. Guy wanted to play, and it's too bad he can't. Chris Drury was tougher than anyone on this board, and before his injury troubles, he was a guy I'd take on my team any day of the week.

**** Glen Sather for signing him to a contract that is going to result in a lot of people putting a black mark on Chris Drury's record of success.
Well said. Too many people let the business side of things cloud their judgment when it comes to players.

One thing I never had to worry about when it came to Drury is his work ethic. He always tried, even towards the end when he was struggling with injuries. And he never complained about his diminished role with the team. He's not the evil monster some are making him out to be.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
As a Chris Drury basher, I was never mad at Chris Drury. I was mad at the fans who couldn't see how dreadful he was every time he was on the ice.

Hopefully this wakes up some fans to realize that this guy was not wanted by any team for 2011-2012 and he wasn't cut out to play in 2010-2011.
Same here, sort of. After all, money can't make you a better player. That is, until his backstabbing way of retirement. Now, I just say **** you Dreary you backstabbing so called captain.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If he was healthy, I would of loved to see Montreal sign him for one season.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Screw both of them, as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you Jon--it's just the idea of that poster wanting to put all the blame on Slats for the contract and none on Drury for subpar performance relative to cap hit.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
So if Mr. Hockey is that wanting of a career, maybe he should have tried a lower level. He retired quickly after a buy-out. He knew he was done. His doctors knew he was done. The Rangers knew he was done. Most fans knew he was done. Instead of being a class act and not soaking the team with a cap hit, he should have retired, collected some insurance money, and enjoyed making crappy pizza.
lol give me a break, if anyone wants to continue their nhl career playing in the AHL or overseas or a lower level especially with nagging injuries is certainly not the way to do it. How many guys do you know of come back to the NHL once they do that?

I can't see any player wanting to screw the team that made them rich by pinning that cap hit on them when it could be avoided. Especially not their childhood team that made him their captain. You just jump to this conclusion without knowing the whole story. Did Drury have offers? What was Sather's relationship with him? Tortarella's? What part did his agent play in this? What was the actual condition and diagnosis of his knee? Any joint injuries are touch and go as you rehab. Did his family play a role?

If there was a way for him to continue his career in the NHL and if that comes out then I'll start to wonder about it. I'm not going to jump to any major conclusions about it.

All I know is there's a lot more factors involved than just Drury and the Rangers, but I guess if you want to just believe that Drury in his mind the entire time said "let me screw the rangers out of about $5 mil in cap space the next two years on my way out" your mind is already made up anyway. Pretty close-minded, ignorant thinking, but to each their own.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
It's not wrong at all. Many, many players will retire from a team rather than soak the team with buyout money first. But Drury showed his character with that move.

His insurance would have covered his remaining contract due to injury. All players have insurance and teams have insurance on the players. Drury should've taken the insurance cash instead of being a punk and soaking a cap-strapped team that he claimed to love with millions in buy-out cash.

He would have gotten the full amount either way.
Stop with the "character" bit. Drury had every right to play this out the way he wanted. It's not an indictment of him in the least. Very good player saddled with a terrible contract and health issues that reared it's ugly head over the last 2+ seasons. That has nothing to do with *business* though.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree with you Jon--it's just the idea of that poster wanting to put all the blame on Slats for the contract and none on Drury for subpar performance relative to cap hit.
What a joke. Everyone with a brain knows Drury was never going to live up to that contract. He always was a 60 point guy with "intangibles." For the most part he lived up to that. It's not his fault that Sather threw the golden goose at him. It's also not his fault that injuries got the better of him.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

what a piece of crap. The guy has been stealing money for 2 years, and now this? Not a very "classy" move from a guy that everyone had their lips permanently affixed to his backside for being a "classy" guy.

F you, Chris Drury... go away forever....

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
This thread is going to be a good read... I better get some popcorn

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
What a joke. Everyone with a brain knows Drury was never going to live up to that contract. He always was a 60 point guy with "intangibles." For the most part he lived up to that. It's not his fault that Sather threw the golden goose at him. It's also not his fault that injuries got the better of him.
He did? That's the beauty of intangibles I suppose, no one can define what the hell they are. The Rangers did not progress further with him as captain vs Jagr. What he has meant to Callahan and guys in the locker room, only they know. Callahan, Dubi and Staal, etc were always a character guy on/off the ice who possessed leadership traits. In terms of the tangible and the results, Drury fell well short of more than just that contract.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Im not a Drury fan at all.

But I dont know how people can honestly blame him for this situation. Nobody here is a professional athlete and not many players retire before 35.

Drury didnt know for sure if he was retiring. What he did know coming into this season was that backwards management had forced themselves to buy him out. He knew he wasnt going to play for the Rangers again but probably thought and hoped his knee would hold up. Its not like he said '**** this team'.

Again, Sather gave him the contract and had to maneuver around his and some other horrible contracts (that he still needs to deal with), and had to buy him out.

95% Sather, 5% Drury.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

I really feel like Chris Drury is Chuck Norris in this picture and that is a lot of peoples dogs in this thread. Just saying....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Stop with the "character" bit. Drury had every right to play this out the way he wanted. It's not an indictment of him in the least. Very good player saddled with a terrible contract and health issues that reared it's ugly head over the last 2+ seasons. That has nothing to do with *business* though.
Drury did have every right to be a punk in how he went about this. You are 100% right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
lol give me a break, if anyone wants to continue their nhl career playing in the AHL or overseas or a lower level especially with nagging injuries is certainly not the way to do it. How many guys do you know of come back to the NHL once they do that?

I can't see any player wanting to screw the team that made them rich by pinning that cap hit on them when it could be avoided. Especially not their childhood team that made him their captain. You just jump to this conclusion without knowing the whole story. Did Drury have offers? What was Sather's relationship with him? Tortarella's? What part did his agent play in this? What was the actual condition and diagnosis of his knee? Any joint injuries are touch and go as you rehab. Did his family play a role?

If there was a way for him to continue his career in the NHL and if that comes out then I'll start to wonder about it. I'm not going to jump to any major conclusions about it.

All I know is there's a lot more factors involved than just Drury and the Rangers, but I guess if you want to just believe that Drury in his mind the entire time said "let me screw the rangers out of about $5 mil in cap space the next two years on my way out" your mind is already made up anyway. Pretty close-minded, ignorant thinking, but to each their own.
So, again, why didn't he immediately retire and take the nice insurance check? Why did he soak us with the buyout? He retired nearly immediately after the buyout. No prolonged comeback. No nothing. He knew he was done. To argue otherwise is laughable at best.

He has a DEGENERATIVE KNEE. It's not something that he would know or not if he could come back from in a few weeks. He knew from the beginning that he was done. He had zero reason, other than being a punk, for what he did to the team.

Good riddance, Chris. One of the worst "captains" this team has ever had.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

I really feel like Chris Drury is Chuck Norris in this picture and that is a lot of peoples dogs in this thread. Just saying....

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Love how everyone ignores that the Rangers, simply through their own incompetence rather than with any actual intent, did everything they could to make sure that his time with the team would be a failure. None of the things that needed to be done to place Drury in an opportunity to provide any sort of significant offense happened. They were the ones that had no idea how to evaluate talent. They were the ones that overpaid him. They were the ones that totally misread the situation that made him successful in Buffalo. They failed to surround him with skilled offensive players, and they were the ones who hardly ever gave him the opportunity to play in front of the net on the PP, the one situation that has proved to be most fruitful for him offensively.

Sad to see a great career end this way. One of the smartest hockey players I've ever seen, and a master defensive forward. An outstanding penalty killer, and a hell of a worker. There's something to be said about players who know how to get the most out of playing with star players, and Drury was able to do that. He wasn't the biggest, the strongest, the fastest, or the most talented. But he was bright, and he made the most out of whatever good opportunity he found himself in. Never had any good opportunities as a Ranger.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Artem Anisimov

Quote:
No idea how any Rangers fans can say anything nice about him. Screw Drury. He knew he was retiring and killed the team he supposedly loved as a child with his cap hit that he would have gotten anyway through insurance.
How can you say he knew he was retiring? The guy tried his heart out for the Rangers and loved it here. Just because Sather gave him a huge contract is no reason to despise him.
This sucks for Drury though, because he wanted to continue playing.
I have nothing against the guy, it was his salary that was bothering me.
I do think there should be an appeals process for the buyout.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
He was never a 60 point guy with us. His last two seasons--his game completely fell apart. Injuries or whatever. Tortorella on breakup day told the whole world that he had a degenerative knee injury so he wasn't going to play for the Rangers or anyone else for that matter and Jon is right--he made enough money off the Rangers--and relative to performance a lot more than he was ever worth--and the honorable thing would have been for him just to retire and collect it on insurance instead of saddling us with the cap hit--because it should have been obvious even to him that his career was over. In the end he soaked us for everything he could get. Legal? Sure. Not very ethical though.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Synergy27

I play hockey with a relative of Dru's and we always joke about having him suit up for us some day. Maybe that might actually happen now...

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote