HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What would your final moves be?

Old
08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
AcadiaAxeMan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Winchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadiaAxeMan View Post
just checked this morning......still available as far as I can see?
Winchester (Brad, not Jesse)

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Yeah he hasn't signed yet. He was rumored to be close to signing with the Canucks and later the Ducks, but he's still out there.

Got to agree with Plekamaniac - if he isn't a Hab by now, he likely won't be.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Milosch

vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Getting Drury is a high risk high reward kind of deal, why not at $2,000,000.00 maximum for one season?

So...

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Drury
White - Desharnais - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin
Woywitka
Weber

Price
Budaj
Why do you have Drury who is a right handed shot, and great on faceoffs on the third line? DD can fill that roll and probably put up more points than Drury. Switch those two and you have a solid roster. But the current lineup doesnt fill out needs

Milosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Getting Drury is a high risk high reward kind of deal, why not at $2,000,000.00 maximum for one season?

So...

Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin
Woywitka
Weber

Price
Budaj
Drury isn't worth 2 mil. My biggest concern in his case is can he play 70-75 games based or can his bidy no longer handle that?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

So...

Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin
Woywitka
Weber

Price
Budaj
uh uh. Low reward. He's no longer worth even considering at $2M. That would be like buying an old used car at the new car sticker price. Have you seen him recently? Do you know why the Rangers dumped him? Apparently not.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Coldplay
Courage

The Winchester obsession is ridiculous.

Ask yourselves: if he's such an important potential piece to any hockey team, why hasn't he signed with anyone yet?

Exactly.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

Ask yourselves: if he's such an important potential piece to any hockey team, why hasn't he signed with anyone yet?

Exactly.
I don't think anyone is saying that he's some crucial key to winning the cup, would be a nice pick up, though.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that he's some crucial key to winning the cup, would be a nice pick up, though.
Well I dunno, people have been talking him up on these parts since July 1st and yet he's unsigned and we're in mid-August.

Just saying. He'd be a nice depth pickup, but I remember we had a thread on potential goons and nobody would stop talking about this guy.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:08 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Well I dunno, people have been talking him up on these parts since July 1st and yet he's unsigned and we're in mid-August.

Just saying. He'd be a nice depth pickup, but I remember we had a thread on potential goons and nobody would stop talking about this guy.
Well a guy like torres would have been nice. It was really konopka that people really wanted, and I admit I would have liked that too. I'd love to get Crombeen in a trade, though.

Toughening up the bottom 6 a bit would be great, but only if we can do so without sacrificing much hockey playing ability. IIRC, winchester scored 10-12 goals last year on two bad teams, likely with limited TOI.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:

Exactly.
Because every single GM is in a bidding war for his services... we've reached the Brad Richards numbers 2 weeks ago

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
FlyingRat

Cory Stillman would be nice.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Exactly.
I'm not sure why he hasn't signed anywhere, and I'm not suggesting he would be a crucial piece, but I think he could be a definite asset against the bigger teamsw in the conference. I think he would help our smaller and more skilled players be a bit more comfortable out there. If a Carcillo or Lucic type is running around, it's nice to have somebody that can potentially put them in their place...of course you have to pick the right time and place.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yeah, 4th line depth isn't crucial or anything, but still would be nice. He's more aggressive than Moen. Not as smart on the ice perhaps, so not as useful in some situations or special teams perhaps, but as 4th line depth with some size and bite, I think he'd be a good fit.

Why isn't he signed already? Haven't the foggiest. I guess even if he wanted a Moen-like contract at one point, he would have come to the realization by now that that wasn't coming and would have had ample time to settle for whatever was best on the table. So it's a good mystery. I'd offer him $800k/1yr. Pending insight into the "mystery".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Cory Stillman would be nice.
If management ever did decide they were going to trade AK, and couldn't get a player in a similar-ish role back, then signing Stillman for 1-year to try to fill the gap might be a good idea. A lot of ways in which he's not an ideal pickup, but if you needed 15-ish goals to try to plug a gap from the loss of AK, and got some other pieces back in dealing AK which were valuable but didn't immediately help fill the void, then Stillman could be worth checking out.

That said, I don't advocate trading AK or making this downgrade in general. Just saying *if* management was going to go that route...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
If management ever did decide they were going to trade AK, and couldn't get a player in a similar-ish role back, then signing Stillman for 1-year to try to fill the gap might be a good idea. A lot of ways in which he's not an ideal pickup, but if you needed 15-ish goals to try to plug a gap from the loss of AK, and got some other pieces back in dealing AK which were valuable but didn't immediately help fill the void, then Stillman could be worth checking out.

That said, I don't advocate trading AK or making this downgrade in general. Just saying *if* management was going to go that route...
As much as he was a solid contributor last year, I don't see AK bringing back in value what he can contribute on the ice. I like the idea of sticking him with Eller and challenging him to dominate and force his way into the top 6.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Milosch

For those interested in Chris Drury, he just announced his retirement. Another career cut short by injuries.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374092

Old
08-19-2011, 11:12 AM
WestIslander

Gauthier is done, if anything Kostitsyn and a draft pick or prospect get traded for a 3rd line player with size and skill, but other than that I think our team is as follows:

Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
Darche - White - Moen
Blunden

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Milosch

Quote:
Gauthier is done, if anything Kostitsyn and a draft pick or prospect get traded for a 3rd line player with size and skill, but other than that I think our team is as follows:
Kostitsyn brings both skill and size. He may be only 6'0", but he plays bigger. The guy led our team in hits last year. Dont see how a perenial 20 goal scorer and 100+ hits a year is anything to complain about. Would rather keep him and our assets. He brings more to our team than he would in a trade imo.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosch View Post
Kostitsyn brings both skill and size. He may be only 6'0", but he plays bigger. The guy led our team in hits last year. Dont see how a perenial 20 goal scorer and 100+ hits a year is anything to complain about. Would rather keep him and our assets. He brings more to our team than he would in a trade imo.
He also brings the following to the team:

- Baggage and a negative attitude
- Bad mouthing the coach and system to third party media outlets
- Lazyness on and off the ice
- Under achieving for more than three seasons
- Not showing up when he does not feel like it and a poor care level

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Stradale

Quote:

Since when he brings negative attitude? He may not be the most vocal guy but he's never known for having attitude problem in the lockeroom.

Cammy also "challenged" the coach in a practice because he wants to play a more offensive system. Should we consider him as bad mouthing the coach as well?

Watch the game, AK is not lazy. Typical cliche here. If he is lazy, then so is Gomez and Cammy.

Yes he is underachieving for the people expecting 30 goals from him but he clearly has not reach that point and probably never will with the Habs. And let me remind you that only one player score 30 goals with the Habs in the last 15 seasons so it isn't that easy scoring 30 in Montreal. At least, AK is averaging 20 goals in his last 4 seasons.

Poor care level? . A guy that doesn't care would not go see the coach for advice. And from the so scandalous interview he had a couple of days ago, he went for advice more than once.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosch View Post
For those interested in Chris Drury, he just announced his retirement. Another career cut short by injuries.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374092
I was saying that he was done and some people on this board kept bashing me about it and wanted him so badly with the Habs.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

What does this even mean? What off-ice laziness examples can you possibly cite? And your last three bullet points are all virtually the same thing so yeah, stretching your argument a little thin there.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Milosch

Quote:

You are getting this baggage and negative attitude from third party sports papers. Alot of his message can be twisted and lost in translation. I have never met the guy, so i cannot confirm or deny these claims. Bad mouthing the coach i think again was taken out of context, not every player will be able to agree on everything with the coach. That doesnt mean he should be shipped out. Mike Richards was said to have had arguments in Philly, does that mean he is a bad player? I would love Mike Richards in a Habs uniform. Tempers flare, people have different personalities and views on a topic, doesnt mean he is a bad and negative person. I dont think Andrei is lazy on the ice. Lazy gets thrown around soo loosely towards players. I understand people know he could give more effort on some nights, but so could other people as well. He just seems like a scape goat because he has a high talent level and was drafted ahead of alot of stars in the league in 2003 (Getzlaf, Richards). I dont see how 20 goals a year and 40-50 point player is under achieving. He may become a 30 goal scorer but he will never be a top talent point per game player, atleast not in montreal.

Old
08-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Max Levine

I see many pinning Desharnais at center on the 4th line. But Martin could very well choose to have Desharnais on the 3rd line, Eller on the 4th. In my opinion, it's a waste to have either one of them on the 4th when they both have strong offensive abilities. DD has to move to the left wing.

I'm very curious to see how the training camp will go cause I have no clue what JM is going to do with his 4th line. I'm hoping their Plan A is to give Engqvist a shot; Plan B to pick up Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I was saying that he was done and some people on this board kept bashing me about it and wanted him so badly with the Habs.
Well, you were wrong. He wasn't done. He is now

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:21 PM
EveryDay

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Andreas Engqvist ($0.900m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)
Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

*Woywitka Blunden Palushaj as final cuts. And also first to get the calls.

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Jakomyte

With no more additions, I see:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Darche-Desharnais-White
Blunden/Engqvist

I know people are clamouring for DD on the 3rd line LW, but if this is the roster we have, then I feel this is a much better balance to our 3rd/4th lines. This could change if PG signs a vet 4th centerman before camp à la Halpern.

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber/Yemelin

Despite all the flack he gets, I think Spacek is still a serviceable 2nd pairing D. Subban had a year with Gill and learned a lot from it, so I see Gill as spending time with Weber/Yemelin on the 3rd pairing to help bring them along.

Price
Budaj

Not much to say here.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote