HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury announces retirement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
  #76
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem Anisimov View Post
How can you say he knew he was retiring? The guy tried his heart out for the Rangers and loved it here. Just because Sather gave him a huge contract is no reason to despise him.
This sucks for Drury though, because he wanted to continue playing.
I have nothing against the guy, it was his salary that was bothering me.
Although I do think there should be an appeals process for the buyout.
Because he retired within weeks of a buyout. I mean, he didn't even go to a camp and practice with a team to see if he could hack it. Someone would have invited him, for sure. Drury knew he was done. His doctors knew he was done. The Rangers knew he was done. How anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
  #77
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I play hockey with a relative of Dru's and we always joke about having him suit up for us some day. Maybe that might actually happen now...
Just make sure to sign him for one year deals.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
  #78
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,450
vCash: 300
9 20+ goal seasons. Stanley Cup. Calder trophy.

Fantastic career for Drury. Sting said it best — he was never put in a beneficial situation with this team. They, wrongly, branded him as a #1 center, and paid him as such. I'm not going to sit here and call Drury 'greedy', because we all know that not a person on this earth would turn down a $35M dollar contract to play with the New York Rangers.

__________________

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
  #79
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If he was healthy, I would of loved to see Montreal sign him for one season.
No you wouldn't have... Even when he was healthy enough to be in the line-up, he was mostly a step behind the play.... His skills really deteriorated.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
  #80
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
9 20+ goal seasons. Stanley Cup. Calder trophy.

Fantastic career for Drury. Sting said it best — he was never put in a beneficial situation with this team. They, wrongly, branded him as a #1 center, and paid him as such. I'm not going to sit here and call Drury 'greedy', because we all know that not a person on this earth would turn down a $35M dollar contract to play with the New York Rangers.
What a bunch of crap. He skated all over our line-up and eventually played his way onto the bottom 2 lines. His game fell off faster than everyone anticipated, that's all. It was no fault of Tom Renney or John Tortorella... That's a cop out.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
  #81
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Love how everyone ignores that the Rangers, simply through their own incompetence rather than with any actual intent, did everything they could to make sure that his time with the team would be a failure. None of the things that needed to be done to place Drury in an opportunity to provide any sort of significant offense happened. They were the ones that had no idea how to evaluate talent. They were the ones that overpaid him. They were the ones that totally misread the situation that made him successful in Buffalo. They failed to surround him with skilled offensive players, and they were the ones who hardly ever gave him the opportunity to play in front of the net on the PP, the one situation that has proved to be most fruitful for him offensively.

Sad to see a great career end this way. One of the smartest hockey players I've ever seen, and a master defensive forward. An outstanding penalty killer, and a hell of a worker. There's something to be said about players who know how to get the most out of playing with star players, and Drury was able to do that. He wasn't the biggest, the strongest, the fastest, or the most talented. But he was bright, and he made the most out of whatever good opportunity he found himself in. Never had any good opportunities as a Ranger.
This X10000!!! The Rangers always have a knack for getting players that are best used in certain ways, then not use them in those ways at all.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
  #82
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Drury did have every right to be a punk in how he went about this. You are 100% right about that.



So, again, why didn't he immediately retire and take the nice insurance check? Why did he soak us with the buyout? He retired nearly immediately after the buyout. No prolonged comeback. No nothing. He knew he was done. To argue otherwise is laughable at best.

He has a DEGENERATIVE KNEE. It's not something that he would know or not if he could come back from in a few weeks. He knew from the beginning that he was done. He had zero reason, other than being a punk, for what he did to the team.

Good riddance, Chris. One of the worst "captains" this team has ever had.
Did you actually read my post or did you just skim through it? Because I list at least 5 factors that were in play here. Aside from the obvious, his family, his agent, lack of offers, further information on his knee and all the other things I mentioned play into this. You act like retirement is such an easy and simple thing where you just wake up one morning and say "alright, it's clear I'm gonna have to retire now" We see guys in their 40s struggle with letting the game go, Drury isn't even 35.

Do you know what a degenerative knee CONDITION (it makes no sense to have a degenerative knee) is? It's not a specific diagnosis. It could be anything from arthritis to ligament damage to whatever. It will be telling in the near future if he ends up getting joint/knee replacement surgery. So to act like because he has a degenerative condition meant that he definitely couldn't work himself into a position where he could play is naive as someone that acted like they knew what Peter Forsberg's foot problems exactly meant for his playing career.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
  #83
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It certainly is fitting.

I was one of Dru's biggest supporters here for quite some time until he proved that he could no longer hack it as a NHL player.

Good riddance, Dru. Hope you are never associated with the Rangers ever again in any aspect.
Well said...I never want to see him again...I don't want him as a in studio guest/host or anything.

Guy played like he could give two *****...

I was glad when the Rangers signed him but realized rather quickly that he couldn't hack it in NY...he should have stayed in some obscure city and out of the spotlight.

He had one chance for me to say hey, he did the right thing @ the end but instead just continued to fuel my hatred for him.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
  #84
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
some people will never be happy. the guy is off the team, and people are still *****ing. we all knew retirement was a strong possibility when the buyout was accepted and we were all happy. drury cant sneeze without some people being all over him.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:26 AM
  #85
Midnight85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Drury did have every right to be a punk in how he went about this. You are 100% right about that.



So, again, why didn't he immediately retire and take the nice insurance check? Why did he soak us with the buyout? He retired nearly immediately after the buyout. No prolonged comeback. No nothing. He knew he was done. To argue otherwise is laughable at best.

He has a DEGENERATIVE KNEE. It's not something that he would know or not if he could come back from in a few weeks. He knew from the beginning that he was done. He had zero reason, other than being a punk, for what he did to the team.

Good riddance, Chris. One of the worst "captains" this team has ever had.
I think that's what everyone else is asking... why?

You seem to think it was done out of spite. But I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense. What does he have to be spiteful about?

And what would he stand to gain from doing things this way, rather then just retiring and taking the insurance check in the first place?

Either way it was the same amount of money.

I think its more likely that he was honestly hoping to continue his career, and then was bought out, saw nobody in the world was interested, and decided it wasn't worth trying to rebuild a knee, than him being so spiteful he just wanted to kill some cap space for no reason whatsoever.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
  #86
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Did you actually read my post or did you just skim through it? Because I list at least 5 factors that were in play here. Aside from the obvious, his family, his agent, lack of offers, further information on his knee and all the other things I mentioned play into this. You act like retirement is such an easy and simple thing where you just wake up one morning and say "alright, it's clear I'm gonna have to retire now" We see guys in their 40s struggle with letting the game go, Drury isn't even 35.

Do you know what a degenerative knee CONDITION (it makes no sense to have a degenerative knee) is? It's not a specific diagnosis. It could be anything from arthritis to ligament damage to whatever. It will be telling in the near future if he ends up getting joint/knee replacement surgery. So to act like because he has a degenerative condition meant that he definitely couldn't work himself into a position where he could play is naive as someone that acted like they knew what Peter Forsberg's foot problems exactly meant for his playing career.
I didn't see anything of importance in your post, so why would I bother to read it all?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
  #87
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Not to mention the biggest factor of all, time. It is not like Drury had the luxury of time if he was in fact contemplating retirement and was pretty sure of it.

If I'm Drury, I'm not letting the buyout window rush my decision to retire because the Rangers need cap space.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
  #88
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 500
There is not a chance I would leave all of that money on the table. Im sure he was training to try to come back. He may not feel like he could give it a go after training for the whole summer. He may have told the organization this but they may not have wanted to take the chance on him not retiring.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
  #89
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I didn't see anything of importance in your post, so why would I bother to read it all?
So you didn't read it, but decided to respond and push your opinion anyway? You're what's wrong with the world today, just waiting for your turn to spew out your bs without hearing what anyone else is trying to say.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
  #90
Midnight85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 430
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Well said...I never want to see him again...I don't want him as a in studio guest/host or anything.

Guy played like he could give two *****...

I was glad when the Rangers signed him but realized rather quickly that he couldn't hack it in NY...he should have stayed in some obscure city and out of the spotlight.

He had one chance for me to say hey, he did the right thing @ the end but instead just continued to fuel my hatred for him.
This is even worse then thinking he did it out of spite. The guy played like he couldn't give a two *****? He broke his hand blocking shots, he came back and got us into the playoffs with the goal against the devils on the same bum knee he's retiring because.

Question how good he was, or what his motives were, and that's fine. But his effort was there.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
  #91
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Not to mention the biggest factor of all, time. It is not like Drury had the luxury of time if he was in fact contemplating retirement and was pretty sure of it.

If I'm Drury, I'm not letting the buyout window rush my decision to retire because the Rangers need cap space.
Right. Those precious few weeks where he had opportunities to join a camp and to see if he could handle the rigors were well spent. I see what you mean. I'm glad Drury had such a time to attempt a comeback. He used it wisely.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  #92
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Well said...I never want to see him again...I don't want him as a in studio guest/host or anything.

Guy played like he could give two *****...

I was glad when the Rangers signed him but realized rather quickly that he couldn't hack it in NY...he should have stayed in some obscure city and out of the spotlight.

He had one chance for me to say hey, he did the right thing @ the end but instead just continued to fuel my hatred for him.
Are you ****ing kidding me!?!

He played like he didn't care?!

C'mon, there are so many different ways to attack him but saying he didn't care is one of the most laughable I have ever seen.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  #93
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
I find it funny reading post that he is greedy yada yada. when u all know if u had to retire from your job and u had a legal way to get money out the company you worked for you damn right know your goin to take it so lets not sit here and ask him to be a martyr for the Rangers orginazation, big companies roll over less fortunate people everyday so I have no problem with him getting what he could, its his right and if you want to blame someone look to Glen Sather he signed him to the deal, so get off your soapboxes cause if it were you? it would be a no brainer.

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  #94
KreiMeARiver
Fast has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
9 20+ goal seasons. Stanley Cup. Calder trophy.

Fantastic career for Drury. Sting said it best — he was never put in a beneficial situation with this team. They, wrongly, branded him as a #1 center, and paid him as such. I'm not going to sit here and call Drury 'greedy', because we all know that not a person on this earth would turn down a $35M dollar contract to play with the New York Rangers.
zzzzzzzzzz...........

you sound like the PR guy for BP after the spill.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
  #95
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
So you didn't read it, but decided to respond and push your opinion anyway? You're what's wrong with the world today, just waiting for your turn to spew out your bs without hearing what anyone else is trying to say.
No, you just haven't offered up anything I really cared to respond to. So, rather than address your points (or whatever you'd like to call them), I would just rather ignore them. I've already spoken about most of your talking points throughout the thread, anyway.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
  #96
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Right. Those precious few weeks where he had opportunities to join a camp and to see if he could handle the rigors were well spent. I see what you mean. I'm glad Drury had such a time to attempt a comeback. He used it wisely.
Right, because we all know, doctors are the most speedy with their diagnoses of all things medical.

Right on.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
  #97
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me!?!

He played like he didn't care?!

C'mon, there are so many different ways to attack him but saying he didn't care is one of the most laughable I have ever seen.
I would have to agree with him and I really never do. I never saw a captain with such a lack of emotion and drive on the ice as I saw in Drury the last two years. This past year, he knew he was done. The writing was on the wall. The year before, though? No explanation for that.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
  #98
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What a bunch of crap. He skated all over our line-up and eventually played his way onto the bottom 2 lines. His game fell off faster than everyone anticipated, that's all. It was no fault of Tom Renney or John Tortorella... That's a cop out.
You're making our argument for us. He played his way onto the bottom 2 lines? He was a 3rd line center! That's where he was supposed to be. I remember specifically showing you line combinations and threads from Sabre fans telling you that at even strength, he was a third line center.

He skated all over our lineup because the Rangers were too stupid to figure out that he's not a skill player, that he's not a playmaker, but kept trying to force him into those roles. His game falling off is irrelevant here. And when huge chunks off his offense came from playing in front of the net on the PP, what do you expect is going to happen when he's not getting those opportunities? Duh. He's not going to score nearly as many points. Renney at least tried him there sometimes. Tortorella almost never gave him those opportunities. The rare occasions that he did, he abandoned it after a game, if not a period.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  #99
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Well said...I never want to see him again...I don't want him as a in studio guest/host or anything.

Guy played like he could give two *****...

I was glad when the Rangers signed him but realized rather quickly that he couldn't hack it in NY...he should have stayed in some obscure city and out of the spotlight.

He had one chance for me to say hey, he did the right thing @ the end but instead just continued to fuel my hatred for him.
A guy who doesn't give 2 *****, doesnt jump in front of pucks like they he did. Or break his finger, rush back to soon from the injury to help the team. The guy cared probably to much. I didn't like his time with the Rangers either. But to imply that he just didn't care or was just about the money is plane dumb. The guy always wanted to be a Ranger. Even as a kid.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  #100
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
some people will never be happy. the guy is off the team, and people are still *****ing. we all knew retirement was a strong possibility when the buyout was accepted and we were all happy. drury cant sneeze without some people being all over him.
The guy gets criticized for owning a pizza place, as if professional athletes have never opened their own restaurants or gotten involved in other business ventures. It's one thing to be disappointed in his on-ice play, but I never understood why opening up a restaurant was such a crime.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.