HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury announces retirement

Old
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Right, because we all know, doctors are the most speedy with their diagnoses of all things medical.

Right on.
His doctors had already diagnosed him. A full two weeks or so before the buyout.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Right. Those precious few weeks where he had opportunities to join a camp and to see if he could handle the rigors were well spent. I see what you mean. I'm glad Drury had such a time to attempt a comeback. He used it wisely.
How the hell do you know how he used it? For all you know he spent 8 hours a day trying to get himself back into the shape he needed to be. You're really grasping onto assumption after assumption.

The FACT of the matter here is that the Rangers had to make the decision of buying him out or keeping him on the roster and hoping he'd retire. They went with the sure thing. Drury's not at fault for wanting to explore other options before he made a definite decision. It's the guys career, I don't care if he and everyone else were 95% sure retirement was what was going to happen. The Rangers and their fans have no right to get upset about it, because at the end of the Sather was the one that handed out that contract, not just all the money, but a full no movement clause, arguably worse than the cap hit.

We could all be so lucky to have a career where we don't count the days to retirement but dread the idea of it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
His doctors had already diagnosed him. A full two weeks or so before the buyout.
Except it's not a full diagnosis.

Please, tell me and all of us who aren't enlightened what a degenerative knee condition is. Maybe we will learn something.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I play hockey with a relative of Dru's and we always joke about having him suit up for us some day. Maybe that might actually happen now...
you will probably regret it if he does...but he has intangiblies.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
How the hell do you know how he used it? For all you know he spent 8 hours a day trying to get himself back into the shape he needed to be. You're really grasping onto assumption after assumption.

The FACT of the matter here is that the Rangers had to make the decision of buying him out or keeping him on the roster and hoping he'd retire. They went with the sure thing. Drury's not at fault for wanting to explore other options before he made a definite decision. It's the guys career, I don't care if he and everyone else were 95% sure retirement was what was going to happen. The Rangers and their fans have no right to get upset about it, because at the end of the Sather was the one that handed out that contract, not just all the money, but a full no movement clause, arguably worse than the cap hit.

We could all be so lucky to have a career where we don't count the days to retirement but dread the idea of it.
The only way he would have been playing was if his knee magically healed itself. You keep missing that point.

He was in fine shape. Conditioning was never part of Drury's problem. His problem was his knee. Something that was known about well before the buyout ever happened. Drury knew he was done. End of story.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
I still haven't heard what Drury had to be spiteful about, or any negative reason he decided to do this to hurt the Rangers.

People have come up with a number of legitimate reasons why he didn't retire immediately.

But why would he purposely hurt the Rangers?

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:39 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I would have to agree with him and I really never do. I never saw a captain with such a lack of emotion and drive on the ice as I saw in Drury the last two years. This past year, he knew he was done. The writing was on the wall. The year before, though? No explanation for that.
I understand his play deteriorated. I understand being angry with him and the Rangers. I totally get that.

But saying the guy who threw his body countless times in front of 90-100mph slap shots over and over and saying he doesn't care?

There are other ways to attack him. His knee gave out. It sucks.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Except it's not a full diagnosis.

Please, tell me and all of us who aren't enlightened what a degenerative knee condition is. Maybe we will learn something.
Drury was "render[ed]... medically unable to play next season". This was in the second week (or so) of June. He knew what the preliminary diagnosis was (and I still haven't bothered to research or even look up what the actual diagnosis was -- assuming some type of arthritis [osteoarthritis would be my guess]). He was not going to be playing this coming season and, since it is degenerative, would not be getting better.

Again, Drury knew he was done. Done as the lunch I just ate. Drury knew he would never be playing again.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:40 AM
chip chipperson*

i saw drury play hard every night.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I understand his play deteriorated. I understand being angry with him and the Rangers. I totally get that.

But saying the guy who threw his body countless times in front of 90-100mph slap shots over and over and saying he doesn't care?

There are other ways to attack him. His knee gave out. It sucks.
I appreciate his shot blocking, but if that's the only time he's going to show emotion...? I mean, I just don't see how he gave it his all and played with any sort of fire. I mean, ****. Maybe he was just falling over in front of shots by accident. You know how old people fall.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
But saying a knee is degenerative does not mean it was a final diagnosis.

We are not privy to that info. Maybe the doctor said it may just be painful, but you can still play. Or you can't hurt it anymore by playing, it will just hurt. Maybe he REALLY wanted to give it a go for another couple of years because he LOVES the game.

I'm pissed too that he waited but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would just milk the team for money because he is selfish.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

**** drury...i dont give a **** if he is retiring. he still is going to hamper us on our cap and he never delivered on that albatross of a contract that he signed off on

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
The only way he would have been playing was if his knee magically healed itself. You keep missing that point.

He was in fine shape. Conditioning was never part of Drury's problem. His problem was his knee. Something that was known about well before the buyout ever happened. Drury knew he was done. End of story.
Maybe he was physically done but not mentally done. Perhaps he convinced himself that he could still play and he had to be talked out of it by either his doctor or his family. I imagine it's a pretty tough thing to be told you can't do something that you love anymore; maybe it took more convincing than you think.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
But saying a knee is degenerative does not mean it was a final diagnosis.

We are not privy to that info. Maybe the doctor said it may just be painful, but you can still play. Or you can't hurt it anymore by playing, it will just hurt. Maybe he REALLY wanted to give it a go for another couple of years because he LOVES the game.

I'm pissed too that he waited but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would just milk the team for money because he is selfish.
Again, doctors said, and I quote, that he would be "render[ed]... medically unable to play next season". And his knee was never going to get any better. If he thought it was going to get better, maybe he should have used a dictionary to look up "degenerative". If he kept playing, the knee would get worse and worse. And since his camp said he would be missing this coming season, the writing was on the wall in gigantic black letters that no one could miss.

I also never said it was a final diagnosis, which for some reason, two of you are assuming I said.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
I appreciate his shot blocking, but if that's the only time he's going to show emotion...? I mean, I just don't see how he gave it his all and played with any sort of fire. I mean, ****. Maybe he was just falling over in front of shots by accident. You know how old people fall.

Old people!?? Now you are making fun of old people too!?! Good God! You have no boundaries!

His teammates loved him. The coaches loved him. Players around the league respected him. Announcers respected him. It has to mean something.

Old
94Obsession

Chris Drury owes the Rangers NOTHING!!!

Say what you want about him, but the guy broke bones for this team by giving his body up most of the time.

Are some or most people really that shocked that he didn't live up to his contract?! This coming from the same fanbase that always places unrealistic expectations upon their players, teams, and organization in general, and likes to overrate certain popular Rangers.

I don't love or hate Chris Drury. But a lot of people need to realize or understand he was never gonna live up to his contract. That's the General Moron's fault.

I don't blame him, like many others, for the Rangers mediocrity at all.

Now that he's retired, we all could THANKFULLY move on though.

Looking foward to the upcoming season. Let's Go Rangers!!!

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Maybe he was physically done but not mentally done. Perhaps he convinced himself that he could still play and he had to be talked out of it by either his doctor or his family. I imagine it's a pretty tough thing to be told you can't do something that you love anymore; maybe it took more convincing than you think.
So it took a few weeks? Just don't buy that at all. Anyone who isn't mentally done is going to AT LEAST try out for a team on an invite. At the bare minimum. And there are plenty of teams out there who'd give him that shot (if just to humor him).

Old
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Again, doctors said, and I quote, that he would be "render[ed]... medically unable to play next season". And his knee was never going to get any better. If he thought it was going to get better, maybe he should have used a dictionary to look up "degenerative". If he kept playing, the knee would get worse and worse. And since his camp said he would be missing this coming season, the writing was on the wall in gigantic black letters that no one could miss.

I also never said it was a final diagnosis, which for some reason, two of you are assuming I said.
Not assuming anything. I just know how doctors can be with the preliminary diagnosis. Its not always perfect and he may have gotten a few opinions (I am sure he did) where its possible a couple said he just needed rest and to train.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

Old people!?? Now you are making fun of old people too!?! Good God! You have no boundaries!

His teammates loved him. The coaches loved him. Players around the league respected him. Announcers respected him. It has to mean something.
I used to love the guy until he pulled this stunt. I know why everyone loved him.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Not assuming anything. I just know how doctors can be with the preliminary diagnosis. Its not always perfect and he may have gotten a few opinions (I am sure he did) where its possible a couple said he just needed rest and to train.
Drury's camp already had come out to say he wouldn't be playing next year, though. That's the point. Drury knew he was done. That statement never would have been uttered if there was even a chance that he'd be playing.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
This thread is going to be a good read... I better get some popcorn
I was thinking the same thing, still on page 3

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Vitto79

bahhhh the cap hit angers me

anywho later Dru, good career

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

If it was such a foregone conclusion that he would retire, then why buy him out in the first place? Oh right, because Sather needed the cap space because of other mistakes that he's made in the past. The problem here is Sather, not Drury.

Drury was acting like any person that wanted to continue their career in the NHL would. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out for him physically. But don't lose track of this point: THE RANGERS CHOSE TO BUY HIM OUT. They made the choice. It's a side effect of having a GM that shoots himself in the foot.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You're making our argument for us. He played his way onto the bottom 2 lines? He was a 3rd line center! That's where he was supposed to be. I remember specifically showing you line combinations and threads from Sabre fans telling you that at even strength, he was a third line center.
So all the excitement from Ranger fans on July 1st when Drury was signed, was because we landed that 3rd line center we desperately needed, right? Give me a break, nobody viewed Drury as a 3rd line Center when he played for the Sabres, and nobody viewed Drury as a 3rd line center on the Rangers signed him, not until he played himself into that role a couple years later. Nobody in the salary cap era doles out $7 mil to a 3rd line center, not even Glen Sather. And we can bet that other teams competing to sign him were offering him contracts close to that salary range....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Didn't work out the way we wanted it to here in NY, but Drury had an amazing career. Won the championship at every level hes played on. Congrats on a great career Drury!

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote