HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News Picks CBJ to Finish 12th

Old
08-18-2011, 03:35 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
If we get Crosby with St. Louis, Lungvist and Suter, THN would not write us to PO. I am not suprised it is normal for Canadians.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

RESPECT THE CANNON!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:18 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I have no idea how it can be said "if anything we regressed slightly" on defense.

Klesla never really played, Commie was gone quick, and Stralman is now gone. I know we lost Hejda, but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others. He hasn't been Hejda in a year and a half now.
Don't go there. I will spank your ass and make you squeal like a pig.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 01:36 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I have no idea how it can be said "if anything we regressed slightly" on defense.

Klesla never really played, Commie was gone quick, and Stralman is now gone. I know we lost Hejda, but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others. He hasn't been Hejda in a year and a half now.
Because the team also lost some experience on the bottom lines, which help protect the goaltenders. Don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting they should have re-signed Clark and Moreau, just that they are depending on unproven players and a blueline that while improved offensively, is not improved defensively.

Quote:
So glad it's to the point that even with all our roster moves, it's all on the goal tender.
Its down to the goalies because even with an improved roster, it's not good enough to overcome bad goaltending. This ain't the Flyers or Kings blue line.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:19 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Then you can explain me how is possible that our defense was better when Commodore and Klesla did not play? I mean a time before treadline. Do you really think lost Commodore experiences are lost for us? Do you think Martinek and Wisniewski has less experiences than Commodore and Klesla? Clitsome was better in the front of the net than both them. No, their experiences are not important.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I am still not upset at THN. Their rationale, while not set in stone, is sound.

I mean, to say that a lot of our young guys, like Calvert will take a step back is not a stretch. Happens all the time, and we have seen it here. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it is not without precedent. To put little faith in our goal-tending is wrong, how? And to continue to view our D as unimproved is an easy call as well. And we know better than anyone that at this point in time, our bottom six is very much a question mark.

Don't get me wrong, I think that if the stars properly align that we can be a play-off team, and maybe even a good one. But we do need a lot of good things to happen. We will win more games by virtue of a vastly improved top 6, and power play, but will that be enough?

The way I see it, to make the play-offs we need:

Brass and Vermy to have big years.
Mason to get his **** together, and Dex needs to be the guy Howson believes him to be.
Young D men from the A to take the next step, and guys like Methot, and Clitsome to be consistently good.
Injuries held to a minimum.
Wiz to play at his pay level.
Someone, anyone, like Johansen, Calvert, Mayorov, Atkinson, Kubalik, to really bust out and with either Vermy, or Brass give us a third line that is truly a scoring threat.
Boll, Dorse, and DMac create havoc on the 4th line and chip in a few goals.
The fans to step up and fill the Nat, and make it a tough place for visiting teams to play.
Prospal to have enough left in the tank for another good year.

That is a lot of "needs" my friends.

But, all of that can happen, and some of it should happen, and some of it will happen. It is just the right timing for some of it.

Don't flame me, folks. As a season ticket holder from day 1, I want to see this team make the play-offs so badly that it hurts, but after the last 10 years, I am still cautious about our prospects to get there.

Go Jackets!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I disagree, Dr. Fire.

The stars don't need to align for the Jackets to be a playoff team. We don't need ALL the things you listed to go right in order to get in. Last year, not much was going right but we still found ways to win games.

What needs to happen is:
Mason needs to get 35 wins in 60 starts, posting a GAA of about 2.8 and a save percentage above .90.

Dekanich needs to get about 10 wins in 20 starts.

Wisniewski needs to get more than 40 points.

Carter and Nash need to both be at 75-80 points this season.

2 of Brassard/Umberger/Vermette/Prospal need to break 55 points.

Methot and Clitsome need to be at least +10 by seasons end.

Provided those things happen and injuries don't wreck us, we would be a 90-100 point team and would make the playoffs.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:07 AM
blahblah

Leek, I don't find those arguments compelling for saying we regressed defensively. The losses of Stralman and Moreau could very well be addition by subtraction.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:23 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I

The way I see it, to make the play-offs we need:

Brass and Vermy to have big years.
Mason to get his **** together, and Dex needs to be the guy Howson believes him to be.
Young D men from the A to take the next step, and guys like Methot, and Clitsome to be consistently good.
Injuries held to a minimum.
Wiz to play at his pay level.
Someone, anyone, like Johansen, Calvert, Mayorov, Atkinson, Kubalik, to really bust out and with either Vermy, or Brass give us a third line that is truly a scoring threat.
Boll, Dorse, and DMac create havoc on the 4th line and chip in a few goals.
The fans to step up and fill the Nat, and make it a tough place for visiting teams to play.
Prospal to have enough left in the tank for another good year.
I forgot last time Columbus made the playoffs all the stars aligned and with much more talent on the team. This team is at least twice as talented, Id say if all that measures up, without a rough start due to a new team, you are looking at a division championship.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Don't go there. I will spank your ass and make you squeal like a pig.
I'd presume that's more a reference to his unfortunate injury history.

At least, I hope that's the case, for blahblah's own sake.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

lol, yeah. I had no issues with him when he was in the lineup.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:26 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:

Quote:
lol, yeah. I had no issues with him when he was in the lineup.
LOL Ok. Thank you both. That's always gonna be a tender spot for me. When the poor little thing wasn't hurt, he managed to not get in the way and just do his job. Maybe not flashy or perfect but he was faithful.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
LOL Ok. Thank you both. That's always gonna be a tender spot for me. When the poor little thing wasn't hurt, he managed to not get in the way and just do his job. Maybe not flashy or perfect but he was faithful.

His time here was definitely star-crossed. Wish him nothing but the best and great success wherever he may be. His play off performance was stellar and a part of CBJ lore.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:55 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
His time here was definitely star-crossed. Wish him nothing but the best and great success wherever he may be. His play off performance was stellar and a part of CBJ lore.
Thanks Roadman. Always love it when Jacket fans can be classy.

As for the 12th projection, it's fair enough. When we earn respect, we'll get it. A couple trades puts us in the same boat as everyone else who traded. It's what we do with what we have that will seal our fate.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Thanks Roadman. Always love it when Jacket fans can be classy.

As for the 12th projection, it's fair enough. When we earn respect, we'll get it. A couple trades puts us in the same boat as everyone else who traded. It's what we do with what we have that will seal our fate.

Time for Scott Arniel to show us what he's made of.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:28 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Time for Scott Arniel to show us what he's made of.
Yes it is. Where are you on him?

Old
08-20-2011, 12:10 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Playoff teams in the West:

Definitely:
Nashville
Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles

Probably:
Detroit
Anaheim
Chicago

And nobody really certain underneath that. That leaves a lot of room for Columbus, which has made major upgrades, to make a move. The only hitch I can see is that three of those playoff teams are in the division.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:31 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Playoff teams in the West:

Definitely:
Nashville
Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles

Probably:
Detroit
Anaheim
Chicago

And nobody really certain underneath that. That leaves a lot of room for Columbus, which has made major upgrades, to make a move. The only hitch I can see is that three of those playoff teams are in the division.
This is reasonable except I would not put Nashville in the definite but I would put Detroit and maybe Chicago in that group. I wouldn't put Anaheim in at all, so:

Definitely:

Detroit
Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Chicago

Probably:

Nashville

There's six, the scrum starts at seven.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Xoggz22

Again... Who scores for Nashville? If that isn't THE most anemic offense in the NHL it will certainly be one of them. I know the defense is very good and Rinne has been stellar which gives them a big push for stability and playoff consistency but the are in the hunt, not a team that you can count on making the playoffs.

2-1 losses are going to be the norm for Nashville. I just don't see them sustaining any offensive pressure or puck possession to keep enough pressure off their own team. As good as they are from their blueline back, I just can't see them as a playoff team.

Wishful thinking on my part maybe....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Again... Who scores for Nashville? If that isn't THE most anemic offense in the NHL it will certainly be one of them. I know the defense is very good and Rinne has been stellar which gives them a big push for stability and playoff consistency but the are in the hunt, not a team that you can count on making the playoffs.

2-1 losses are going to be the norm for Nashville. I just don't see them sustaining any offensive pressure or puck possession to keep enough pressure off their own team. As good as they are from their blueline back, I just can't see them as a playoff team.

Wishful thinking on my part maybe....
Erat, Kostitsyn, Hornqvist, Legwand, and Fisher are all likely good for 40 points or more - Erat and Kostitsyn both were at or above 50 last year. Wilson is one of those Breakout Season Any Day Now types. And they've got Bergfors as a reclamation project.

Nashville's offense is kind of like our defense - there's plenty of solid guys who would be in any team's top two lineups, but no actual leaders that you'd count on to carry the #1.

Old
08-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Why is Chicago a "definitly" to make the playoffs this upcoming season? They barely got in last year and I don't think they improved all that much. Crawford will have to cement himself as a top 10 goalie and both Kand and Toews would need to be 90+ point players for them to sniff the playoffs

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Why is Chicago a "definitly" to make the playoffs this upcoming season? They barely got in last year and I don't think they improved all that much. Crawford will have to cement himself as a top 10 goalie and both Kand and Toews would need to be 90+ point players for them to sniff the playoffs
Because they are Chicago, and one year removed from winning the Cup. The fact that it isn't anywhere near the same team that won that cup has no bearing on the discussion.

We are, on the other hand, are Columbus and well you know.

Old
08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Same reason folks figured we'd make the playoffs last year - the assumption that the year prior was a fluky down year.

Dunno if that's a safe assumption or not. I frankly don't know Chicago well enough to be willing to hazard a guess. I do think losing Campbell is going to hurt, tho.

Old
08-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Seedtype

Quote:
Because they are Chicago, and one year removed from winning the Cup. The fact that it isn't anywhere near the same team that won that cup has no bearing on the discussion.

We are, on the other hand, are Columbus and well you know.
I think Chicago is hungry now, so I seriously doubt they are gonna be under-performing again. They only failed to complete their comeback in the first round because of one terrible turnover in overtime.

As for us... well, we'll see. I think this season is gonna depend on Mason, for the most part. I think the team in front is a much better team, and can definitely compete for the lower playoff seeds.
I wish we had a big shutdown D-man though. But I don't think it's the end of the world either.

Seedtype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Got both as part of my electronic subscription. They're using stats from their fantasy guide in their projections, so they're fair game.
I just picked up the yearbook, and I think you're wrong here to link the 2 together. I'd gotten the impression that they'd finally combined them, but they clearly didn't.

Two different things, done by two entirely different teams of people. I've always found the fantasy guide to be cartoonishly optimistic with their numbers.

So complain about the 12th ranking all you'd like. They certainly provided lots of ammunition. (Colorado 9th???? Jared Boll as 3rd line RW????) Just don't use the fantasy numbers as evidence.