HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Drury to announce retirement

Old
08-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
The hate coming from Rangers fans is disgusting. It really shows what a dumb decision he made to leave Buffalo for those spoiled brats, because if he was still in Buffalo and this happened there would be people getting choked up, thanking him for what he did. Rangers fans flat out disgust me.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Sure, there were a few NYR fans with irrational hatred towards the guy due to underperformance and his big fat contract. Most of us, however, realize that the guy was simply signed to a contract that he could never hope to live up to, and furthermore, declined due to his all out style of play when it comes to blocking pucks.

I'm just pissed that he soaked NYR for the buyout cash, then proceeded to retire, when his agent had already stated that he had a degenerative injury in his knee. He could have gone on IR, and collected his money, but he instead elected to stick NYR with a buyout caphit for 2 years. I understand that choosing to retire is hard for any athlete, and I know he probably didn't intend to screw us, but he did nonetheless.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:24 PM
gambitlebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
If you think that's bad go on the Rangers board. A lot of people are making him out to be the Anti Christ.....
That's just sad. No one forced the Rangers to sign him to that contract.

They should be mad at their TM for over paying for every big name free agent while trying to buy a Cup.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:54 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
How does this work from the Rangers POV?
Are they now stuck with a cap hit from the buyout that they would have been free of had he retired at that time?
Except, absent a buyout he would NOT have retired.

If he retired, he would have forfeited $5M in salary for '11-'12. Instead, he would either played or been put on LTIR - in either case he would have gotten his $5M.

Instead, because of the Buy Out, Drury will get $3.33M over the next two years and the Rangers will have dead cap space of ~$3.7M this year and $1.67M next year

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:16 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
When were the Sabres relevant? Honest question.

It was Regier's fault he decided to pay Vanek instead of Drury, now in hindsight he dodged a huge bullet.
I'm 99% sure the Sabres have done more since 2000 than the Rangers so I don't see why you're talking.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Sure, there were a few NYR fans with irrational hatred towards the guy due to underperformance and his big fat contract. Most of us, however, realize that the guy was simply signed to a contract that he could never hope to live up to, and furthermore, declined due to his all out style of play when it comes to blocking pucks.

I'm just pissed that he soaked NYR for the buyout cash, then proceeded to retire, when his agent had already stated that he had a degenerative injury in his knee. He could have gone on IR, and collected his money, but he instead elected to stick NYR with a buyout caphit for 2 years. I understand that choosing to retire is hard for any athlete, and I know he probably didn't intend to screw us, but he did nonetheless.
I'm just going off of 75% of posts that come up from Rangers fans made in threads related to Drury.

Old
08-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Lol, I love how people are calling Drury greedy for taking 2/3 of the final year of his contract via a buyout. If he was all about the money he would have just sat himself on IR for the year and collected the full 5 million.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:22 AM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
I'm sure retiring from the sport you love is an easy decision to make. Give me a break bud.
It sure is when you get to keep the money.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:29 AM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
He averaged 7-8 less points in NY then in Buffalo, on a much less offensively gifted team. He was paid like an 90 point center, while never scoring 70+ once in his career. He started regressing quickly as he approached his mid 30's, which isn't all that uncommon.

An overpaid player will never become a fan favorite, I bet if his contract was 5mil, he would've been absolutely loved in NY his first 2 years.

Anyone would of done the same thing when it comes to waiting for the buyout before retiring, and those saying otherwise can get off their moral high horse, because they'd be the first to do what Drury did.
Sir? Markus Naslund will see you now.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitlebo View Post
That's just sad. No one forced the Rangers to sign him to that contract.

They should be mad at their TM for over paying for every big name free agent while trying to buy a Cup.
That's right we blame the maple leafs

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:03 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
Ignorant for you to say that
Drury had a great career, but you are just thinking about the money you could have saved?
If anything you can blame the doctors and the Rangers organization for not getting his injury issues settled in time
Pathetic.....

They had it right weeks ago. He was diagnosed with a degenerative knee condition and would be unable to play this coming season. Thanks for trying, though.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:08 AM
beastly115

Quote:
The hate coming from Rangers fans is disgusting. It really shows what a dumb decision he made to leave Buffalo for those spoiled brats, because if he was still in Buffalo and this happened there would be people getting choked up, thanking him for what he did. Rangers fans flat out disgust me.
Get off your high horse. You didn't have to deal with him on your team the past 4 years. You have no right nor any basis to claim that if he played for Buffalo you would be choked up. Give me a break. What a dumb statement to make.

How about I sit here and say if Connolly was a Ranger he would have been more appreciated all those years and we would be sad to see him go. See how dumb you sound?

Old
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Captain Monglobster

Thanks for putting everything on the line Captain, now give the C to Cally and lets put all of this behind us.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Get off your high horse. You didn't have to deal with him on your team the past 4 years. You have no right nor any basis to claim that if he played for Buffalo you would be choked up. Give me a break. What a dumb statement to make.

How about I sit here and say if Connolly was a Ranger he would have been more appreciated all those years and we would be sad to see him go. See how dumb you sound?
LOLOL. To compare what Connolly did here to what Drury did there was a joke. Connolly never once posted a 20 goal season. Drury did. Connolly did not become a leader on this team like Drury, he followed on a team desperate for leadership. I'd rather pay Drury whatever you guys paid him

Old
08-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Kingler

Great guy. Too bad it couldn't end better for him

As for the buyout, even if he intentionally take the buyout and then retire....well I don't blame the guy for not leaving $7m on the table. Who in here would rather retire than collect the money? Besides, he gave his all when he could play and he was given the contract, nobody put a gun to anyone's head...

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
beastly115

Quote:
LOLOL. To compare what Connolly did here to what Drury did there was a joke. Connolly never once posted a 20 goal season. Drury did. Connolly did not become a leader on this team like Drury, he followed on a team desperate for leadership. I'd rather pay Drury whatever you guys paid him
Not surprisingly, you completely missed the point.

Old
08-21-2011, 05:53 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I wish him all the best in the retirement. Before going to New York, the guy was a really good player.

08-21-2011, 08:39 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite

This song remind me of Drury, it's a shame he'll never be recognized for it in New York.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
look. you really hurt my brain when i try to wrap it around your logic.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
eco's bones

Drury's career:

Colorado gp 314 g 85 a 137 pts 222 pm 189
playoffs gp 80 g 26 a 24 pts 50 pm 22---1 stanley cup

Calgary gp 80 g 23 a30 pts 53 pm 33
no playoffs

Buffalo gp 234 g 85 a 104 pts 189 pm 130
playoffs gp 34 g 17 a 14 pts 31 pm 12

Rangers gp 264 g 62 a 89 pts 151 pm 116
playoffs gp 21 g 4 a 4 pts 8 pm 12

Notice the drop in production when he became a Ranger? Over his 3 years in Buffalo he earned roughly $9.5 mil total--Not adding the buyout in his 4 seasons with the Rangers he collected over $30 mil.

Buffalo posters can be as incensed as they like. You know I kind of remember the day he and Briere left the Sabres there were a lot of Buffalo fans that were incensed about that too. We did them a ****ing favor. We paid for his good years in Buffalo and got very little back. They got all the good memories. We gave a guy a great retirement contract.

What it all comes down to is you win championships or you don't. This isn't about a nostalgia trip. Drury's contract didn't get us closer to a championship--it took us further away.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:07 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Should have decided that 2 monthsyears ago. ****ing bum.
fixed

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
Sir? Markus Naslund will see you now.
I was under the impression Naslund went home to play for his team with his good friend Forsberg. Drury couldn't retire then look for work in the NHL, Naslund could retire and look for work in his home country. There's no reason for Drury to look for work outside the NHL while having a family.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Faxius

vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
I was under the impression Naslund went home to play for his team with his good friend Forsberg. Drury couldn't retire then look for work in the NHL, Naslund could retire and look for work in his home country. There's no reason for Drury to look for work outside the NHL while having a family.
Not entirely correct. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
On November 17, 2009, Näslund announced he was coming out of retirement to join Forsberg with Modo for the remainder of the 2009–10 Elitserien season. He explained that while he did not miss playing, both he and Forsberg desired to help their former club out of financial troubles and a last-place standing in the league, facing potential relegation. The announcement crashed the Modo web server as a result of the heavy volume of people visiting the site. As a board member of the club, Näslund said he and Forsberg would play without salary.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:14 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Except, absent a buyout he would NOT have retired.

If he retired, he would have forfeited $5M in salary for '11-'12. Instead, he would either played or been put on LTIR - in either case he would have gotten his $5M.

Instead, because of the Buy Out, Drury will get $3.33M over the next two years and the Rangers will have dead cap space of ~$3.7M this year and $1.67M next year
I blame the CBA. If a player accepted a byout,and then forced to retired the same offseason,the cap hit should be of the teams back.
In fact,I believe it`s weird it`s not.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote