HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign F Andre Deveaux

Old
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
jniklast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Maybe that was the difference between him signing here or elsewhere? It's also not completely outside the realm of possibility that the Rangers could dress him at some point this year, for instance if Rupp was injured and we were playing on Long Island.

Not a big deal either way. The 50 SPC limit is one of those things that people fret over that never ends up being an issue.
Still, I think being at 50 contracts limits your flexabilty. An example was the trade for Eriksson two seasons ago: He was on waivers the day before, but we had to trade a contract along with a 7th round pick for him because of the contract limit. That was obviously only a minor issue, but being at 50 contracts generally prevents a club picking someone from waivers.

Of course, as it stands now, this won't be a problem this season since some players will be sent back to juniors and their contracts won't count this season.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The CBA deals with the reserve list

Quote:
"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights
including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not
currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have
subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one
time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players
and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to
Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from
inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as
determined by the Commissioner.

(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.
Rangers will have 47 SPCs with McIlrath,Miller and Thomas being returned to the CHL.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Still, I think being at 50 contracts limits your flexabilty. An example was the trade for Eriksson two seasons ago: He was on waivers the day before, but we had to trade a contract along with a 7th round pick for him because of the contract limit. That was obviously only a minor issue, but being at 50 contracts generally prevents a club picking someone from waivers.

Of course, as it stands now, this won't be a problem this season since some players will be sent back to juniors and their contracts won't count this season.
And that's really what it boils down to. We're not at a hard 50, so to speak. There is some flexibility there.

If anyone is curious, here are the players on our reserve list with contracts set to expire after this season:

Kris Newbury
Chris Chappell
Chad Johnson
Sam Klassen
Dale Weise
John Mitchell
Pavel Valentenko
Cam Talbot
Lee Baldwin
Mats Zuccarello

It will be nice to shed the contracts of guys like Chappell, Baldwin and Klassen, who aren't even good AHL players.

Also, can someone look at CapGeek's reserve list and tell me who they're missing? They only list us at 48 contracts, which will be 49 when Deveaux is added. So either RB is off by one, or CapGeek is missing one player.

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...2&year_id=2011

EDIT: Nevermind, it's Brendan Bell that they're missing. RB (as usual) is right, we're officially at 50 SPC until the trio of ELC guys are returned to Juniors.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 08-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I was sure there was no way Gorton - er, I mean Sather - would make such a basic mistake, I just didn't know what features of the CBA provided the wiggle room.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

i wouldnt mind having him over Christensen as the extra forward, play him vs pens habs flyers devils sabres..trade or send down christensen.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:56 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i wouldnt mind having him over Christensen as the extra forward, play him vs pens habs flyers devils sabres..trade or send down christensen.
I'd rather have Christensen for sure..

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:20 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Prust and Rupp are enough for the tougher teams in the league. A heavy and middleweight. Only if either of those two are injured would Deveaux see action.

Christensen is much more likely to help us win a game that this guy. No way you get rid of EC because of this.

And FWIW, Deveaux isn't even a great fighter from what I've seen.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
@KevinWeekes: Nice undercover signing of Andre Deveaux by NYR. Had 46 points with almost 200 PIM, he's tough & can play, good value too.

08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Prust and Rupp are enough for the tougher teams in the league. A heavy and middleweight. Only if either of those two are injured would Deveaux see action.

Christensen is much more likely to help us win a game that this guy. No way you get rid of EC because of this.

And FWIW, Deveaux isn't even a great fighter from what I've seen.
I'd rather have Weise up if one of those guys gets hurt and we need somebody from the Whale.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'd rather have Weise up if one of those guys gets hurt and we need somebody from the Whale.
It's Deveaux if we want a fighter for a tough conference game, I think. Weise if we need a guy to take a semi-regular shift I guess.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
It's Deveaux if we want a fighter for a tough conference game, I think. Weise if we need a guy to take a semi-regular shift I guess.
I call up Kris Newbury instead of both of those guys.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah but Newbury is more of a light/middleweight. Deveaux is a legit heavy, even if he isn't that great.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Yeah but Newbury is more of a light/middleweight. Deveaux is a legit heavy, even if he isn't that great.
True, but at least Newbury knows how to fight and can take a beating as well. Watching Weise last season try to fight was painful, and this guy is probably not much better.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
True, but at least Newbury knows how to fight and can take a beating as well. Watching Weise last season try to fight was painful, and this guy is probably not much better.
Deveaux, while far from a feared fighter, is way better than Weise from what I've seen. Weise is one of those guys that will fight because he's big and limited in terms of skill, where as Deveaux has always been a big fighter, even in his Junior days.

Also, I'm not a Dale Weise fan.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I went to another site that is specific to hockey fights. It was tough to find any positive comments on him. Lots of posters were calling him a spot picker. Personally I cant say that as I haven't seen enough of him. Here are some of the comments on Deveaux. Both negative and positive....

NEGATIVES:
"Spot picker and a *****"

"Brings nothing to the table, but I felt a little bad for this guy trying to live up to the expectations that were heaped on him, because he's really not a heavyweight"

"Does not use his size and is a terrible fighter. He tries to fight skill guys and skates away when even a middleweight is around"

"Toronto homers keep saying he's no enforcer,then why his he in the lineup?Cetainly not to score goals.Typical maple loafs goon.Won't last in nhl...

" Huge spotpicker. When someone tougher then him is on the ice he becomes invisible. Refuses fights from Godard and Ivanans but has no problem taking on the likes of Ruslan Fedotenko and Jay Leach. When he does fight someone his size he usually ends up losing."

"Classless *****. Is there another guy of his size that will challenge Ruslan Fedotenko and not look good? I don't think so. I'd be able to beat the **** out of that fagg. "

"Fight a Heavy!"

POSITIVES :

"throws hard bodychecks."

"my son" <--Guess his pop is on that site?

" needs to be trade and is wasting his time in the AHL, also isn't fighting as much as last year" <--Doesn't sound so positive!

"

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'm a Newbury fan. I thought he played very well when he was up last year.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Jxmarts

Deveaux fights, but he's terrible at it... like a Dane Byers. He's a poor man's Aaron Voros as a fighter, except not nearly as good at hanging on for dear life.

As it stands now for the Whale, Jason Wilson & Randy McNaught are going to have to grow up very fast.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:04 AM
rody

I hope Devo can show he can play hockey. I have seen him since his OHL days and he is a good face off man and has some skill, he is a big body, His stats say 6'3" he is more like 6'5" and solid.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:58 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Love his size, stick his ass in front.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote