HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Ethan Moreau [1 year, $600K]

Old
08-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Ollie Weeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am fine with this. Oilers fans aren't painting a pretty picture on the trade board, but overall, this is a solid veteran that will be playing likely fourth line duties. Our bottom 6 was getting quite young and shallow of experience. Good signing in my book.
I would expect this regardless, to be honest.

I like it. One year, cheap, and 1 less kid we have to worry about in the bottom 6.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:06 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am fine with this. Oilers fans aren't painting a pretty picture on the trade board, but overall, this is a solid veteran that will be playing likely fourth line duties. Our bottom 6 was getting quite young and shallow of experience. Good signing in my book.
Oilers fans are the worst. They try to make everyone they lose off their team to be terrible, over the hill players that they are glad to have gotten rid of. But in reality they are just trying to bring other teams down to their level (last) to make themselves feel better. Moreau is a team player who's tough as nails and will look after his teammates when other teams start running.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:09 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
I would expect this regardless, to be honest.

I like it. One year, cheap, and 1 less kid we have to worry about in the bottom 6.
Haha, seriously. Over the hill! Takes too many penalties! Blah blah blah.

He'll be on the fourth line or the 13th forward, who's a veteran and is tough. I'll take it. It makes me feel better about our fourth line.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
I may have to rethink cheering for you guys now.

He brings nothing to the table anymore except for bad penalties.

Really bad penalties.

Lots of them.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:14 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Really bad penalties.

Lots of them.
If you're going to to base your fanhood on whether the Kings have Moreau or not, you should go become a fan of another team.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:15 PM
MessierII

Don't listen to the Oiler fans saying he's garbage he's a solid fourth line guy. Hes big he'll hit, fight do whatever you need. Even get the odd goal, perfect role player for a good team like you guys. Coming from this Oiler fan you guys look like a team ready to make some noise in the playoffs if you can stay healthy.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
If you're going to to base your fanhood on whether the Kings have Moreau or not, you should go become a fan of another team.
I dont think you realize what you just acquired here tbh.

Old
08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
outofrange

Quote:

Really bad penalties.

Lots of them.
Dude he's a vet for the fourth line. With the way our top three lines are set up, he'll see little time when he plays and it means we don't have to rush any of the kids into the lineup. We are no longer in a rebuild and also can't afford to rush kids.

With injuries and whatnot throughout the season, he isn't a horrible option. This is a small signing that just gives DL some peace of mind. Nothing more.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
I dont think you realize what you just acquired here tbh.
I'm not too concerned about the penalties. He'll be seeing nowhere near the amount of ice time as he did with the Oilers of years past. And not that its entirely sound logic, but we also have a terrific PK, so **** it. Bring em on.

Old
08-20-2011, 04:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

He only had 24 pims in 37 games last year so, I'm not seeing a whole lot of penalties. Perhaps, when Moreau was with Edm, he was unhappy and took his frustration out on the ice.

Personally, I've loved Moreau ever since that hit he laid on Brown. One of the few times Brownie went down without diving.

Good signing imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:22 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Oilers fans are the worst. They try to make everyone they lose off their team to be terrible, over the hill players that they are glad to have gotten rid of. But in reality they are just trying to bring other teams down to their level (last) to make themselves feel better.
Well, in this case, they're right. Moreau is over the hill and seemingly entering the final stages of Mike Ricci-itis. Also, given how much of a united front they're putting up regarding his attitude problems, I'm inclined not to dismiss it as sour grapes.

I'm not upset with the signing or anything, but I expect nothing out of this guy.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 08-20-2011 at 04:30 PM.
kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:34 PM
MessierII

Don't listen to these fans the're just embarrassing themselves. This is a risk free contract for a good fourth line/PK guy.

Old
08-20-2011, 04:36 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Well, in this case, they're right. Moreau is over the hill and seemingly entering the final stages of Mike Ricci-itis. Also, given how much of a united front they're putting up regarding his attitude problems, I'm inclined not to dismiss it as sour grapes.

I'm not upset with the signing or anything, but I expect nothing out of this guy.
Probably the most reasonable post from a Kings fan regarding this. I was pro-Moreau when he became captain but he became one of the worst captains in Oilers history. Blames anyone but himself. Takes selfish penalties and was all around ****** in the locker room. Him and Souray were the suspected culprits dividing the locker room.

Who knows though. Perhaps him being "unwanted" by some teams has humbled him.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
He won't contribute that much. Just gives a veteran voice and calming influence to the fourth line. Good idea.
Im thinking he was signed more for experience and grit then speed but if he has any wheels left will be a bonus...at his age not sure how much you can realistically expect though.

Im also sure the powers that be got some feedback from Greene and Stoll before offering the deal as well. If Moreau were the locker room cancer Oils fans make him out to be former teammates probably would have been the first to confirm or deny.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Obviously your loyalties are to the Oilers, so this isn't a trick question. But, with so many former teammates now in Los Angeles, do you find yourself cheering for the Kings if you're catching a game on TV?

Definitely. Stolly and Greene are good friends of mine. My brother trains guys there and I live in LA in the offseason. I've known some of the other Kings, I'll skate with them in the summer - I got to meet guys like Blake and Luc a few times. I know a lot of people in that organization. So, its definitely a team I keep my eye on.
From 2009 interview

http://www.mayorsmanor.com/2009/12/i...s-captain.html

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:40 PM
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Nice find.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:41 PM
KingLB

Ehh, we heard the same things about Poni...and outside the first game, and the stupid penalty with like .1 second left in one game, he really was "undercontrol" when here.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:46 PM
MessierII

We got rid of Moreau because we needed to shift the culture of our dressing room not because he was a bad player or a locker room cancer.

Old
08-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Johnny Utah

So instead of a younger and more skilled Parse or a younger and tougher Westgarth on the 4th line we are opting for a older Ethan Moreau?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
Dude he's a vet for the fourth line. With the way our top three lines are set up, he'll see little time when he plays and it means we don't have to rush any of the kids into the lineup. We are no longer in a rebuild and also can't afford to rush kids.

With injuries and whatnot throughout the season, he isn't a horrible option. This is a small signing that just gives DL some peace of mind. Nothing more.
Ya, well, its not just the on ice stuff you need to worry about.

He got into an altercation (re: fist fight) with a teammate in the dressing room. He then came up with a mysterious injury and never played another game with the Oilers.

He was our captain at the time.

He was also at the center of a New Years eve incident where he and the team were celebrating at a Calgary restaurant, ran up a huge tab, and then refused to pay.

Its no coincidence that both he and Steve Staios (also involved in the dressing room skirmish) were gone off the team one after the other. The story goes they and Souray were very hard on the younger players. Re: a-holes.

I get that he wont be counted on to do much, but he is not a good player to have around.

On a positive note I will say that he and his wife did wonderful work fundraising for the children's hospital here in Edmonton, and he was at one time a warrior and a useful player, but those days are long gone.

He has struggled with injury problems too.

Old
08-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
In my opinion, Moreau will be a spare forward unless someone else plays their way out of a spot in the bottom 6. The good thing is, this will push Parse even more to keep his spot as the likely 4th line LW.

Clifford-Stoll-Richardson
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

Moreau sees time when we dont need Westgarth in a game or if Parse can't handle 4th line duties/defensive play. Or injury of course.

Moreau will probably only see 20-40 games this year, but gets a free ride into the playoffs and a decent shot at a cup before he retires.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

No issue with signing him, another possible 4th liner for cheap and 1 year. Probably an upgrade over Westy when we play teams without a goon

Moses Doughty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Moreau and Fraser are perfect 13th and 14th spare forwards for us. There's no reason to have someone like Clune or Cliche take those spots, when they are still relatively young and can still progress in Manch.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
So instead of a younger and more skilled Parse or a younger and tougher Westgarth on the 4th line we are opting for a older Ethan Moreau?
Moreau will attack more people than Parse. Rejoice.

Old
08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Not a fan of this signing.

Welcome to the team and here is to hoping your lower back troubles are all behind you (I know).

We could have invited him to camp instead for free and King would be a better option at this point if we were to use EM's last two years in comparison but since he is signed he is one of us and I am happy to have him on board.

Lets see it work DL and bring us the cup EM.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote