HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Globe&Mail: Brayden Schenn the latest NHLer on Gary Roberts program

Old
08-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

vCash: 500
Globe&Mail: Brayden Schenn the latest NHLer on Gary Roberts program

FYI, someone's working out all summer....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2123053/

Quote:
Last season was a bit of a tough introduction to the NHL for Brayden Schenn.

The fifth overall pick in 2009 was bounced around a bit by the Los Angeles Kings, who put him into eight NHL games but, not wanting to burn a year of his contract, also had him on a conditioning stint in the minors - an extreme rarity for a 19-year-old prospect.

On June 23, he was shipped to the Philadelphia Flyers with Wayne Simmonds and a second-round pick for Mike Richards, ending what had been a frustrating couple of years in the Kings organization.

Now he's considered one of the potential Calder Trophy candidates for the coming year.

Schenn has been in Toronto recently to work with Gary Roberts and take part in the NHLPA's all-Canadian mentorship camp [ http://allstate.all-canadians.com/Default ]. I sat down with him briefly to talk about his summer and next season:

-----

Q. Have you been in Toronto with him all summer?

BS: I spent a little over a month at the beginning of the summer [in Toronto], then I went to Kelowna with my brother for a bit, then I’m back home [in Saskatoon] for a bit, too. I’ve kind of pinballed all over the place but at the same time I’m still doing Gary’s program. I enjoy doing it. He teaches me great stuff and the most important thing is I’m feeling good about it.

I had an MCL problem at the end of the year and I just wanted to get treatment and rehab that and he did a good job and it’s feeling good.
---

There is a related article that's pretty good. It's about Luke Schenn working our with Shea Weber all summer, but Brayden was there with them, so it's a good read:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2120355/

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-21-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Really good article and good to know he's been stepping up his training for this coming season.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Well he's starting off on the right foot at least. He just needs to improve his skating stride. He has all the other tools to be a natural point scoring machine.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Opus

Good stuff.

This guy is going to be good.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:48 PM
MillerTime2181

Schenn for the Calder!! Would be so awesome!

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm curious, is Schenn more of a wrist shot or slap shot kind of player?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
MillerTime2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm curious, is Schenn more of a wrist shot or slap shot kind of player?
+1 on this..... in addition Gary seems to get the best out players. Just a great list of those on this program and hopefully Schenn is just the next in that progression. The kid seems to have a great head/focus and hopefully we're in for a treat.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:08 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Man oh man do I miss the slapshot. Seems to have faded somewhat since days of old...

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
The picture doesn't do it justice, but I met him after the prospect scrimmage and he's pretty jacked for a 19 year old. And his shirt is nuts, don't get dizzy.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Rick Deckard

TSNs James Duthie wrote a piece about that camp last summer: http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=335457

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:05 AM
dookie88

The Flyers should hire Gary Roberts as a fitness coach and pay the man whatever he wants.

I'm getting really excited about Schenn.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
The Flyers should hire Gary Roberts as a fitness coach and pay the man whatever he wants.

I'm getting really excited about Schenn.
I don't think it would work out. He just seems like a great pre-season kinda guy. Anything that gets us rid of mccrossin though is a plus in my book. There's no way a team should have the injuries that it does.

Old
08-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't think it would work out. He just seems like a great pre-season kinda guy. Anything that gets us rid of mccrossin though is a plus in my book. There's no way a team should have the injuries that it does.
We were in the middle of the league by man-games lost, the only player who missed significant time last season was Pronger. Weighed by caphit we've been at the bottom, we weren't injury-plagued. [Details]

Old
08-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
We were in the middle of the league by man-games lost, the only player who missed significant time last season was Pronger. Weighed by caphit we've been at the bottom, we weren't injury-plagued. [Details]
And if you write off Pronger's broken hand to a blocked shot, it's not like injuries we did have were McCrossin's fault in any stretch.

Everyone tries to blame him, as if the team doctors don't have actual final say in what's going on.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:55 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And if you write off Pronger's broken hand to a blocked shot, it's not like injuries we did have were McCrossin's fault in any stretch.

Everyone tries to blame him, as if the team doctors don't have actual final say in what's going on.
And his broken foot in December. We've actually been VERY lucky with injuries the past 2 seasons.

There is no way Roberts is going to sign with any one team, he has his own clientele and is in demand by a lot of players throughout the league.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
just the three seasons prior when every other player seemed to go down with sum sort of muscular stretch, pull or tear.

Old
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Not sure McDonald's corp is happy about Brayden's lack of endorsement but looks like the camp supersized him. Hopefully Jr also benefits from his offseason camp as well as Voracek. Nice to see the commitment from our future core.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
just the three seasons prior when every other player seemed to go down with sum sort of muscular stretch, pull or tear.
2008/2009 Injured players by team

2009/2010 Injured players by team

Groin, most of them, Briere 08/09, Parent, Emery and Gagne 09/10 missed significant time with groin injuries.

But, if you take out the LTIR players (Rathje and Hatcher), we're still at worst in the middle of the league.

Old
08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 440
Don't forget that Lavy has these guys in better shape than they were under Stevens. The first thing that Lavy said when he got here was that the players weren't in shape to play his system. We had 14 guys play 75 games, and it would be even better if Briere didn't get suspended, and JVR wasn't sat for 3 games. Our worst injury was Bartulis. Last year we had 5 defensemen play at least 81 games, and the year before, 4 defensemen played at least 80. Either one is remarkable for one year, we did it for two.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Groin, most of them, Briere 08/09, Parent, Emery and Gagne 09/10 missed significant time with groin injuries.

But, if you take out the LTIR players (Rathje and Hatcher), we're still at worst in the middle of the league.
It was the type of injuries that always bugged me though. The groin injuries shouldn't of happened that regularly. They generally occur when the muscles aren't stretched properly.

Old
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
It was the type of injuries that always bugged me though. The groin injuries shouldn't of happened that regularly. They generally occur when the muscles aren't stretched properly.
They can also occur if players don't evenly exercise the various muscles. For instance, if someone does nothing but squats and ignores the hip flexor that can easily cause an issue. Possible example: Timonen.

08-21-2011, 07:46 PM
flountown

Quote:

You really can't blame Emery's issue on him, unfortunately due to the lack of nerves centered in the hip, issues involving it usually manifest in other areas like the groin, meaning any amount of stretching wouldn't have helped.

It is also still hotly debated as to whether traditional stretching actually hurts performance. When it comes down to it, I think the interesting things that we overlook are the slushie machine that he uses to refresh players with certain deficiencies during the game. How many other teams in the NHL have a guy who takes to time to come up with unique solutions to better the team's conditioning and performance.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote