HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. WII (ALL Discussion Here)

View Poll Results: Preferred Gaming System?
PC 34 18.99%
Xbox 360 56 31.28%
PS3 75 41.90%
None, I just lurk around this forum because cool kids post here 10 5.59%
Wii 4 2.23%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-18-2011, 10:03 PM
bdp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiekko View Post
How is the online on the PS3? I've contemplated switching from the 360 to PS3 since online is free.
It's very good, definitely worth the switch.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:15 PM
WatchaMaCarcass

vCash: 50
Question for all of you, I have 3 - 360 consoles (bought 1 the others were gifts), none of which are the slim model. I basically just use the one console (elite 120gig) in my bedroom and have one other in my living room (60gig) that is almost exclusively used as a dvd player. The other is an arcade console I got as a gift, which is currently sitting under my bed, that I sold the cords for to a friend that needed them.

Now I have another friend who wants a 360 and is offering to trade me his wii (which is softmodded) and a handful of (licensed) games for my 60g console and likewise a handful of games. I don't have his list of games yet, but the games I have are all pretty old (and none are over $7 on tivs.ca). Given current trade values and such I have my console and games valued at around $200 (if traded to EB).

I think my son (3 y.o) would probably enjoy having a console he can sort of play (and grow into using a bit easier) rather than having a 360 he just pushes buttons on to make noises.

Now, I realize there is some info missing (ie. list of games) but given the info I currently have, would it be worth it to trade my 360 for a Wii, or would I be better off looking to sell it on eBay (kijiji is over saturated, no idea about craigslist) and perhaps getting better value for it?

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:34 AM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

vCash: 50
Seeing as you have 3 360's I'd do it. You're giving away the DVD player technically right?
If you need a new DVD player buy a $20 from Wal-Mart.

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiekko View Post
How is the online on the PS3? I've contemplated switching from the 360 to PS3 since online is free.
I have 3 friends who are finally giving up on their PS3s and getting 360's for when the new COD comes out. 1 more who wants one but doesn't play online much and has a tight budget so he may wait off for next gen.

Online and interface are tons better on the 360, but the PS3 is solid online as well.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
I have 3 friends who are finally giving up on their PS3s and getting 360's for when the new COD comes out. 1 more who wants one but doesn't play online much and has a tight budget so he may wait off for next gen.

Online and interface are tons better on the 360, but the PS3 is solid online as well.
They literally threw away a system for another just because of a multiplatform game? Really? Especially COD? Jesus...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:02 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

i miss my 360. its so much better online and the arcade games are better

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

This whole thread is the definition of relative.

Old
08-20-2011, 12:53 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Sony finally cut the price, but it's potentially a case of too little, too late.

1)Many buyers considering the PS3 may be scared off by talk of the PS4 release.

2)The economy has really gone in the crapper

3)The WiiU will be coming out soon.

4)Lingering doubts about the security of the PSN.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
This whole thread is the definition of relative.
With your user name and avatar no wonder you can't admit Microsoft has the superior online infrastructure

Yea it sucks you gotta pay, but things like party chat rock hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammy View Post
Sony finally cut the price, but it's potentially a case of too little, too late.

1)Many buyers considering the PS3 may be scared off by talk of the PS4 release.

2)The economy has really gone in the crapper

3)The WiiU will be coming out soon.

4)Lingering doubts about the security of the PSN.
What does the WiiU have to do with the PS3? It's going to be marketed to babies and old people just like the Wii.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 12:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
With your user name and avatar no wonder you can't admit Microsoft has the superior online infrastructure

Yea it sucks you gotta pay, but things like party chat rock hard.

What does the WiiU have to do with the PS3? It's going to be marketed to babies and old people just like the Wii.
I've been using this name for everything way before MS ever came into the console scene (about 1999). I think it's just that I don't like how for some things, companies are forced to make people pay for their products, such as some DLC, and an example would be with L4D2's extra campaigns, where you have to pay $7 on the 360, but free on the PC. Things like that. Also, pretty much everyone I'm friends with have a PS3.

Also, when it comes to chatting, I have my PS3 hooked up to my 2nd computer monitor, so I can just use my PC for Skype while I play with friends.

Old
08-20-2011, 12:28 PM
bdp

Quote:
Also, when it comes to chatting, I have my PS3 hooked up to my 2nd computer monitor, so I can just use my PC for Skype while I play with friends.
That's what I do, either that or on the phone. Saves me $60 every year so I'm not complaining

Old
08-20-2011, 01:09 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Did you even watch Nintendo's E3 presentation at all, and look at all the 3rd parties they had lined-up? However, it pans out in the end, it's clear that Nintendo is trying hard to regain a lot of the core market that they lost with the Gamecube and Wii. I mean, look at the choice of 3rd party games that they had demoed for the WiiU at E3. It's clear at least that Nintendo's marketing focus has shifted a bit for the WiiU.

As for what it has to do with the PS3 - the WiiU will be, for some unknown period of time, the most powerful console on the market. Depending on when Sony and Microsoft release their next consoles and how their specs compare. In Sony's case, I haven't heard anything about the PS4 arriving anytime soon. So for a certain segment of the market who always want to have the most powerful console available, and who currently have PS3s, they may be tempted to get a WiiU.

Last edited by MayDay: 08-20-2011 at 02:51 PM.
MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
RStar*

Quote:
They literally threw away a system for another just because of a multiplatform game? Really? Especially COD? Jesus...
I'm pretty sure they'll keep their PS3's for bluray, but they're those new casual type gamers who would only play a little bit on Tiger Woods or Madden before, and then all of the sudden became hardcore 10+ hour a week players once they played Modern Warfare. I think its funny as well, you're preaching to the choir.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:50 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Did you even watch Nintendo's E3 presentation at all, and look at all the 3rd parties they had lined-up? However, it pans out in the end, it's clear that Nintendo is trying hard to regain a lot of the core market that they lost with the Gamecube and Wii. I mean, look at the choice of 3rd party games that they had demoed for the WiiU at E3. It's clear at least that Nintendo's marketing focus has shifted a bit for the WiiU.

As for what it has to do with the PS3 - the WiiU will be, for some unknown period of time, the most powerful console on the market. Depending on when Sony and Microsoft release their next consoles and how their specs compare. In Sony's case, I haven't heard anything about the PS4 arriving anytime soon. So for a certain segment of the market who always want to have the most powerful console available, and who currently have PS3s, they may be tempted to get a WiiU.
I haven't talked to 1 person, not 1, who is planning on buying the WiiU. The casual gamer they made their money off of with the original Wii don't even know the WiiU is coming.

I own every system this generation and all the handhelds (even that ****** 3DS), and have no inclination to buy a WiiU. That should tell you something.

Old
08-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:

People don't buy multi-platform games on Nintendo systems and the controller situation for the WiiU is all kind of ****ed up. You are only able to use one of those special video controllers at a time.

Also Nintendo's online system is a horrible abomination. Friend codes...Blech. If this thing isn't priced right it's going to be a disaster like the 3DS

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:32 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Also Nintendo's online system is a horrible abomination. Friend codes...Blech. If this thing isn't priced right it's going to be a disaster like the 3DS
Nintendo has said they are totally revamping their online system for the WiiU.

Old
08-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Nintendo has said they are totally revamping their online system for the WiiU.
They've also said the their focus is to improve the single player experience on the WiiU.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:31 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I expect it to sell either way because even if it doesn't break into the more hardcore market. Some people will be replacing their original Wii and it will be the most powerful thing on the market for a while so...

Old
08-21-2011, 02:32 PM
RStar*

Quote:
I expect it to sell either way because even if it doesn't break into the more hardcore market. Some people will be replacing their original Wii and it will be the most powerful thing on the market for a while so...
Most powerful for what? If hardcore gamers already own a PS3 or 360, why are they buying a WiiU to play the same games? COD is going to be better on the WiiU? It will play and look the same as the 360 and PS3 counterparts.

Mayday or someone else came on here saying how great the 3DS was selling and how it was a great system. Look how that's worked out for him so far. Some Nintendo fans are so quick to say everything Nintendo does is gold and how they do no wrong. Its funny, because the internet is abuzz right now with articles on how Nintendo's stock is in the gutter and how many are expecting the WiiU to not only fail, but force Nintendo into software and to leave the console market.

Old
08-21-2011, 02:43 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Most powerful for what? If hardcore gamers already own a PS3 or 360, why are they buying a WiiU to play the same games? COD is going to be better on the WiiU? It will play and look the same as the 360 and PS3 counterparts.

Mayday or someone else came on here saying how great the 3DS was selling and how it was a great system. Look how that's worked out for him so far. Some Nintendo fans are so quick to say everything Nintendo does is gold and how they do no wrong. Its funny, because the internet is abuzz right now with articles on how Nintendo's stock is in the gutter and how many are expecting the WiiU to not only fail, but force Nintendo into software and to leave the console market.
I'm not going to argue with you because I honestly don't care but if we've learned anything, it's not to doubt Nintendo for very long. They're a very resilient company and seem to understand the need to change things up a little for the next round.

Old
08-21-2011, 02:48 PM
bdp

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because I honestly don't care but if we've learned anything, it's not to doubt Nintendo for very long. They're a very resilient company and seem to understand the need to change things up a little for the next round.
In WiiU's case, change = losing money on every console at launch.

Old
08-21-2011, 02:53 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
In WiiU's case, change = losing money on every console at launch.
I'd be willing to bet they have a plan on that though. Several consoles have lost money at launch and ended up doing ok as a whole. I'm not saying WiiU is going to win the war, but it's something to be dealt with for it's opponents.

Old
08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
RStar*

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet they have a plan on that though. Several consoles have lost money at launch and ended up doing ok as a whole. I'm not saying WiiU is going to win the war, but it's something to be dealt with for it's opponents.
Going into launch knowing you're going to lose on every system, while your previous system has a history of having great hardware sales, but abysmal software sales, is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention their stock is in the toilet as I said, and they're already dealing with a failed new system in the 3DS.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Going into launch knowing you're going to lose on every system, while your previous system has a history of having great hardware sales, but abysmal software sales, is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention their stock is in the toilet as I said, and they're already dealing with a failed new system in the 3DS.
Why you shouldn't ever count Nintendo out.

Old
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
bdp

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is such a piece of **** game 85 on metacritic, yeah, good luck with that. Just dumped my copy on my Dark Souls preorder.

Anybody playing Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm waiting for my copy, hopefully it's as good as the reviews are saying.