HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Ethan Moreau [1 year, $600K]

Old
08-21-2011, 02:27 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Take a day off and DL finally ****ing does something depth wise. Love the move. 4th line winger.

Bottom 6 is this as I see it:

Clifford-Stoll-Parse A line that can score a bit but not good defensively really.
Moreau-Lewis-Richardson/Westgarth Grit and speed.

Boom. LOVE it. Dean you make me all warm and happy inside.

CNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
HMMMM. TM stated that he is the most talented player on the team. He just needs to stay healthy. He is do for a Moulson break out year.
Both TM and DL have said similar things about Purcell's skill level, not to the extent of Parse, but similar.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:37 AM
TopT

Another former captain; I am sure that we have the most ex captains on our team

TopT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:06 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Probably helps fill a veteran leadership void left by the departure of Smyth and Handzus. Also some much needed bottom six grit.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Live from Rexall

Oiler fan here, Loved Moreau during his time in Edmonton but something changd when he got the "C". As a depth 4th liner i think this is a great signing for a team hoping to go deep in the playoffs. Can be an absolute beast and hopefully being in LA around his old buddies will bring out the best in him again.

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
Another former captain; I am sure that we have the most ex captains on our team
Other than Richards and now Moreau, who else?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
No, Murray said that he was one of the most talented players on the team after the Kings (thankfully) lost out on Kovalchuk and didn't bring in any skilled players. They said they wanted to give him a shot.

If he is so "talented" why has he failed to show more than mediocre results at any level?
IF... he can play a full year with Stoll and Clifford he will score 20+. He is a sniper and can finish. He was on fire before he was injured last year believe.
Rookie Year 09-10...59gms 11 13 24
................ 10-11.....5gms 1 3 4

Lets look at Dustin Browns first 2 seasons

03-04...31gms 1 4 5
05-06...79gms 14 14 28

The talent is there just needs to stay healthy and get a full season under his belt. I think he can be a 25 25 50 player. Well see though. Im glad he gets his shot.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Shellz

I can't believe people are actually hating on Parse.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Fat Elvis

I'm fine with the signing. You'd much rather have a guy like Moreau be the extra forward than a kid that needs o play. I see it much like having Harrold sitting. The guy lives in LA and he probably knows this is his last go around, so why not play at home. Good contract to boot. Low risk.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I'm more of the opinion that he's not important enough to hate on.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
This.

And it's actually a very stupid thing.
I hope Scott will prove some hockey genius around here wrong.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think Parse can be that filler type forward who can be inserted anywhere in the lineup, depending on what type of matchup the team is looking. Should anyone in the top six be nursing an injury, Parse can slide in that role. Should the bottom six need a bit more offense and skill, Parse can fill that role. The Kings don't need Westgarth for 82 games next season. Moreau may not be in the lineup for 82 games either, so it doesn't hurt the team by adding a proven depth forward.

Should all forwards be healthy, we're looking at a lineup of:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Richardson
Moreau-Lewis-Parse

Spares: Fraser, Westgarth

I'm fine with this signing as the Kings needed some gumption on the fourth line.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Exactly! The guy has 12 goals & 16 assists and his 64 career games and people are acting like his some wash! *shakes head*

That's more goals then Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Ethan Moreau and Kevin Westgarth had combined last season!

COME ON PEOPLE!

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's a four part feature on Ethan Moreau from an old NHL Network program called "Ice Level."

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:06 PM
CandianKingsFan14

Great depth signing by the Kings. Its gonna be a good to be a Kings fan.

CandianKingsFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Fishhead

He'll be a decent fill in, but it's basically one of those "move along folks, nothing to see here" signings

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChoseTheKings View Post
Exactly! The guy has 12 goals & 16 assists and his 64 career games and people are acting like his some wash! *shakes head*

That's more goals then Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Ethan Moreau and Kevin Westgarth had combined last season!

COME ON PEOPLE!
I don't think people think he's a bum or anything, but he'll be 27 next month, has played 64 games in the NHL, and no one really has any idea how truly good he is because he can't stay healthy. No one doubts he has potential, but that potential is useless if you can't stay on the ice.

Also, realize that both Clifford and Lewis had a substantial effect on this team last season, much more than Parse did. Plus, both are substantially younger, yet played more games in one season than Parse has in his entire career.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
He'll be a decent fill in, but it's basically one of those "move along folks, nothing to see here" signings
Looking more and more forward to the start of the season. I think this will be a good sign.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I don't think people think he's a bum or anything, but he'll be 27 next month, has played 64 games in the NHL, and no one really has any idea how truly good he is because he can't stay healthy. No one doubts he has potential, but that potential is useless if you can't stay on the ice.

Also, realize that both Clifford and Lewis had a substantial effect on this team last season, much more than Parse did. Plus, both are substantially younger, yet played more games in one season than Parse has in his entire career.
Saying that he should be in the AHL doesn't scream potential.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

My what a very large molehill I've stumbled across.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Kingurentai

The one thing I don't like about this is it seems like it's a "help my boy out" favor signing for Greener Stoll. That shouldn't happen on a pro sports team. But he'll be a parttimer on the cheap anyway so don't care that much.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Parse is solid but he's not really a 4th liner. He'd be ideal (along with Richie) to fill in for Gagne if and when he goes down. If given the opportunity, Parse could be a 20+ goals guy imo. The problem with Parse is that he's too one dimensional. If he added some speed, hits, size etc, to the lineup, he'd be more valuable.

Moreau is a much better fit for what we need on the 4th line as well as in the club house imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Parse is solid but he's not really a 4th liner. He'd be ideal (along with Richie) to fill in for Gagne if and when he goes down. If given the opportunity, Parse could be a 20+ goals guy imo. The problem with Parse is that he's too one dimensional. If he added some speed, hits, size etc, to the lineup, he'd be more valuable.

Moreau is a much better fit for what we need on the 4th line as well as in the club house imo.
My thoughts exactly.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Parse can be that filler type forward who can be inserted anywhere in the lineup, depending on what type of matchup the team is looking. Should anyone in the top six be nursing an injury, Parse can slide in that role. Should the bottom six need a bit more offense and skill, Parse can fill that role. The Kings don't need Westgarth for 82 games next season. Moreau may not be in the lineup for 82 games either, so it doesn't hurt the team by adding a proven depth forward.

Should all forwards be healthy, we're looking at a lineup of:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Richardson
Moreau-Lewis-Parse

Spares: Fraser, Westgarth

I'm fine with this signing as the Kings needed some gumption on the fourth line.
Agreed BUT to start the season the Kings play Buffalo, NYR, Philly and the Blues...Wesgtarth will be in most of those games so I think we might see Richie or Parse sitting occasionally too, not just rotating Moreau and Westgarth.

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:25 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

After reading over the thread and looking at the signing, here's my thoughts:

I'm pretty mehh to the signing, however if I had to make a call, I'd rather it didn't happen yet. I'd like to give Clune or Cliche a chance on the 4th line first, as these guys have paid their dues. If you want Moreau to push them, then give him a training camp invite and if he's the better player, sign him. To me, this just says to Cliche, Clune, Kainusto, etc that their is one less spot available, and on our team, there wasn't many spots open to begin with. Basically we have 14 forwards, if you count Fraser, all with NHL experience, most of them 100's of games of experience, when camp opens. There's little chance anyone from Manchester cracks the opening line up, outside of a few injuries.

That said, I'm not really to worried about it. I'd just have rather we gave our kids a chance to move up and made a trade deadline move to add a veteran fourth liner at the trade deadline. Plenty of deals like that are done, and often cost little if anything.

I'm not worried about Moreau's baggage either. First, he has guys in the locker room vouching for him, including important guys like Greene and Stoll, and Greene wears a letter, so that's big to me. Second, Moreau comes in as a 4th liner, not as the captain. He's not a key cog in the locker room, just a new face with a lot of respect. It's doubtful he'd have enough pull to really rock the lockerroom anyways.

As for Parse, I find it funny so many posters slam DL and TM for not giving guys like Purcell and Moulson enough of a chance, yet rag on Parse, despite his skill level. Parse has 28 points in 64 games and was on pace for 66 points last year before the injury, albeit in just 5 games. Parse has the chance to be another Moulson or Purcell, so I don't see the issue with managment wanting to give him a full chance first. Of note, Pucell only had 25 points in 91 games as a king before he was traded, so I fail to see why giving Parse another chance is such as problem.

Also, if we have a problem at all in the forward group, it's offense, given some of our wingers struggles in recent years. Parse is the lone guy likely to be in the bottom two lines for wingers that could actually move up and contribute.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote