HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2011-12 line up

Old
08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
OzFlyer

vCash: 500
I have a feeling Betts is going to struggle to even make the team this year.
I hope he does but there is a lot of competition at camp.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 05:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What do you mean that is offensive potential is right after theirs?
I thought it was Bill, but searching through his past articles I couldnt find where I read it. It might have been in The Hockey News that I read it. I swear I didnt make it up.

What I do remember reading is that after Couts and Schenn, Read had the chance over everyone else in producing offense for the team. He will either get it and play top 9 or be a AHL player. He is not suited, at all, for a 4th line spot.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:36 PM
MillerTime2181

The more I read about this team and the closer it gets to the season the more excited I get. Team just oozes potential- and yes potential doesn't mean anything but damn wouldn't it be nice to get lucky and have the majority live up to theirs? Just so much talent and at this stage of the offseason I'm all about it.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know some people put Couturier on their lines... but we haven't even signed him. I don't even know if we have any room to sign him, and I mean by that we have the max contracts don't we?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Well it seems like there is a general consensus on the first two lines but the bottom pairing not so much. For those who are actually pegging Couturier to jump in this year, I don't think you should expect much from him yet, he's got great talent but I think it's best he works out his kinks, he clearly has the body for it.

Also thanks a lot for the answers folks, really appreciate it, and the jagr joke was classic haha

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Mr Oysterhead

If Read gets third line minutes for a full 82 games I'll be expecting something along the lines of 65 points (30-35), which is a conservative estimate.

The guy is a beast. Well over a PPG player in his stint with the Panthoms. No reason that shouldn't translate over to the big leagues.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
If Read gets third line minutes for a full 82 games I'll be expecting something along the lines of 65 points (30-35), which is a conservative estimate.

The guy is a beast. Well over a PPG player in his stint with the Panthoms. No reason that shouldn't translate over to the big leagues.
Yeah, and Shelley will probably have 175,132 goals too!

08-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I like Jody as much as the next guy, but lets not go all Jags6868 on Shelley's goal totals.

I COULD see Jody potting 15-20 goals if he gets minutes next to Schenn or Briere.

Old
08-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
I like Jody as much as the next guy, but lets not go all Jags6868 on Shelley's goal totals.

I COULD see Jody potting 15-20 goals if he gets minutes next to Schenn or Briere.
you left about 5 zeroes off the back end of those numbers.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
you left about 5 zeroes off the back end of those numbers.
heh, this isn't NHL 11, Beef.

Jody has a scoring touch, not 30-40 goal good, but the man has a sweet shot. We saddled him on the fourth line, which was a mistake.

Shelley - Richards - Versteeg would have been a dirty line with Shelley playing the Knuble type role.

Old
08-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:

Jody has a scoring touch, not 30-40 goal good, but the man has a sweet shot. We saddled him on the fourth line, which was a mistake.

Shelley - Richards - Versteeg would have been a dirty line with Shelley playing the Knuble type role.

That's a normal occurrence for Jody Shelley. He didn't beat the goalie, he just blasted it through his shoulder. 300 years ago, Pavelec's serf ancestor felt a distinct ache in his shoulder as he tilled his field, and then felt the shame of his progeny's failure as it rippled through time. Such is the might of Jody Shelley.

Old
08-20-2011, 10:15 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still wonder how people are so sold on Read and just kind of throw Betts out the window as either our 13th or not at all.
There is growing expectation in Read. If he makes it, great. If not? Then Homer loses on another gamble. He's got pro level offensive skills, very solid defensive play and a good mix of playmaking and grinding (which could be perfect with Simmonds and Schenn).

As for Holmstrom and Betts, I love Betts...but his time is running out. He's got injuries every season which cost him arm strength to play the forechecking and faceoff winning role. The Flyers see Holmstrom taking that role ASAP. At this point, aside from leadership and preparedness for NHL game speed, Holmstrom brings everything to the table that Betts does, and adds physicality and a pesky playing style.

Quote:
underachiever

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Do you ever just look at yourself in the mirror and think, you know what, I really am a sheep. Such a poor attempt again.........

For anyone who doesn't know, these users are on another board and they attempt to "troll" this community. They genuinely think that the people on this board are the sad and pathetic ones , regardless of the fact that they think of new ways to anger hfboards.

Another sad thing is that half of the posters rip into this community, yet they can't leave ha ha. Just find it incredible really.

Edit: on that note, some of their users actually think you guys got trolled , oh man...

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
I have a feeling Betts is going to struggle to even make the team this year.
I hope he does but there is a lot of competition at camp.
I hope he isn't good enough to make the team. He just seems awfully slow out there. He's like an old, slow, stay at home 7th defenseman playing center with no shot and no shoulders left.

I also really hope Rinaldo never plays for the Flyers again. I don't understand what Holmgren sees in this type of player. Great - he tries to kill his teammates in practice and fights all the time. He isn't even a good defensive player or fighter - just another one of those disturber players like Carcillo. And I don't care about how he's good at fighting guys his size - who cares.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Snipsnap12

I hope Read is on the 3rd line. I am going out on a limb and saying he is a 15 goal 40 point guy right now... Watched a couple of his AHL games at the end of last year, and he looked like an NHL player would.

I hope holmstrom replaces betts. At this point betts offers nothing positive. He cant score, he is slow, he cannot win faceoffs anymore, and he is stopping the progress off our younger grinders by taking up a spot.

I am in what seems to be the minorty group of flyers fans who thinks this team might be better than last years. So long as Pronger can be healthy by november, and JVR takes his game to the next level I dont see any reason this team cannot make a run.

Elite goalie, great defensive corps, and a good mix of skill, youth, size, and grit up front.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Quote:

Shelley wont be on this team hopefully when the season starts and maybe betts will be gone never liked what they bring to the team and betts has slowed to..............

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:47 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:

Having Shelley and Knuble in the same sentence is laughable. And It doesnt matter what you meant.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I hope holmstrom replaces betts. At this point betts offers nothing positive. He cant score, he is slow, he cannot win faceoffs anymore, and he is stopping the progress off our younger grinders by taking up a spot.
Woahhh now. When did Betts offer nothing. His PK alone makes him worth his contract. The guy gives everything up for the team. As for the face-offs, he still finished the season above 50%, better than anyone else on the team.

Lets not confuse a younger player possibly being given a shot( and improving) over a pretty established NHL player

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:54 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Lets hope that is not our 3rd line going into the season. Talbot is not even a center.
He played Center for the Pens... and had a decent F/O %. Would you rather Betts Center the third line? Maybe ppg AHL all-star Matt Read.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Do you ever just look at yourself in the mirror and think, you know what, I really am a sheep. Such a poor attempt again.........

For anyone who doesn't know, these users are on another board and they attempt to "troll" this community. They genuinely think that the people on this board are the sad and pathetic ones , regardless of the fact that they think of new ways to anger hfboards.

Another sad thing is that half of the posters rip into this community, yet they can't leave ha ha. Just find it incredible really.

Edit: on that note, some of their users actually think you guys got trolled , oh man...

One other thing, many of the posters there come HERE to get their info on prospects and such. I used to frequent both sites but stopped going there 2 years ago as that other site really took a nose dive. There was so much infighting between posters and so little actual hockey talk that the site became a joke.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:54 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Sestito needs to have a good camp and make the team hes the big body we need in front of the net on the PP .I for one hope he makes it and Shelley is gone tom is cheaper younger and can play hockey...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:39 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
Sestito needs to have a good camp and make the team hes the big body we need in front of the net on the PP .I for one hope he makes it and Shelley is gone tom is cheaper younger and can play hockey...
If Sestito is anywhere near the PP, we're in DEEP trouble. He should never sniff it.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

I struggle to believe Homer let's Shelley go.

Old
08-21-2011, 06:29 PM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
I struggle to believe Homer let's Shelley go.
This. Not going to happen. Maybe he'll even get re-signed.

Dear Lord, no.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 08:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
He played Center for the Pens... and had a decent F/O %. Would you rather Betts Center the third line? Maybe ppg AHL all-star Matt Read.
You are actually incorrect on both statements.

According to Dobberhockey, Talbot during the 2010-2011 season

Quote:
9.23% EV 18 CONNER,CHRIS - 17 RUPP,MICHAEL - 25 TALBOT,MAXIME
7.93% EV 24 COOKE,MATT - 71 MALKIN,EVGENI - 25 TALBOT,MAXIME
5.93% EV 24 COOKE,MATT - 9 DUPUIS,PASCAL - 25 TALBOT,MAXIME
5.89% EV 24 COOKE,MATT - 48 KENNEDY,TYLER - 25 TALBOT,MAXIME
5.77% EV 16 CONNER,CHRIS - 9 DUPUIS,PASCAL - 25 TALBOT,MAXIME
5.34% EV 27 ADAMS,CRAIG - 17 RUPP,MICHAEL - 25 TALBOT,MAXIME
The only time he took any faceoffs was on the pk.

On the 2nd statement, I would 100% rather have Schenn center that line. Matt Read isnt even going to be a center in the pros so I have no idea what the hell your talking about. In the AHL last season he played on the wing. In the prospect scrimmages he is playing on the wing.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote