HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do the Blueshirts have what it takes?

Old
08-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Ohio Rangers
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Do the Blueshirts have what it takes?

Hi!

I'm not really knowledgeable about the X's and O's of hockey; a casual fan more or less. For some reason I've just gravitated towards the Rangers and followed them for about twenty years off and on. Got real big into them when they were making their Stanley Cup run in 1993-1994 because Mark Messier and Mike Gartner were once with the Cincinnati Stingers. I mispronounced Mark's name until a guy behind me corrected me.

Anyway, do they have what it takes to win the Cup?

Last edited by Ohio Rangers: 08-21-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Ohio Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
I'd have to say it's a possibility, but a pretty small one. Bigger than last year, but still not the greatest chance. I'd give it one or two more years

Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Giacomin

Yes! About a 35-1 chance according to the experts(not including me).

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:01 AM
msv957

Absolutely, this team has the talent to win it all this year.

The defense was the 4th best in the NHL last year

The offense scored the 12th most goals scored in the NHL. With the addition of Richards it will only get better.

Hank in nets

Lots of depth on this team so they can absorb injuries if they happen

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Synergy27

The Rangers are a very good team.

There are some really, really good teams in this league.

They have a chance just like anyone else, but to expect a Cup win this year would be setting yourself up to disappointment. I'd like to see this team look competitive in the 2nd round this year and then take it from there moving forward.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:46 AM
eco's bones

They should be better this year. Great goaltender--very young and potentially outstanding defense (given another year or two)--and a pretty nice forward group with lots of youth as well. With maybe a couple exceptions these are all guys the coaching staff are happy with.

This year I don't know though I think it's possible. 12-13 more likely.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I think they have a shot. But there year will be in a year or two.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I think it all boils down to chemistry. If Gabby and Richards are like peanut butter and jelly we could make some noise.

If not we are in trouble.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Ohio Rangers
Rookie User

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I think it all boils down to chemistry. If Gabby and Richards are like peanut butter and jelly we could make some noise.

Is there friction?

Old
08-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post

I don't think they'll be in any real trouble. If they don't mesh you can always play Richards with another line and spread the offense out.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:36 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I think they have what it takes but it will take a very VERY strong, almost God-like, playoff performance for them to win it all.

In 2-3 years they will be better suited for a cup-run. Rome wasn't built in a day.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Kershaw

Don't think we are primed for a cup yet. Maybe in a few years.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

I think that we might be a dark horse for a Cup run. The Rangers are a team that is a lock for the playoffs, but are not favorites for the Cup.

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
TheHotRock

not out of the realm of possibility.

we might even win the atlantic.

who knows how the new look flyers will come together? the penguins may have issues with crosby and his concussion. the devils? not really scared of them. and the isles are still very young and not ready for prime time.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Ohio Rangers
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
not out of the realm of possibility.

we might even win the atlantic.

who knows how the new look flyers will come together? the penguins may have issues with crosby and his concussion. the devils? not really scared of them. and the isles are still very young and not ready for prime time.
I hope Crosby can come back. Regardless of who he plays for, you hate to see a young talented guy like him not be able to play because of injury, but concussions are nothing to screw around with.

The Islanders...? pfft... I have a friend who was from Long Island. Big Islanders fan. Idolized Billy Smith and thought Al Arbour was the greatest coach ever. Never shut up about them during hockey season. All the more reason to love the Rangers as far as I'm concerned.

Slightly off topic: the Isles' uniforms are awful. They need to go back to the Gorton's fisherman logo.

Anyway, back on topic: I hope you're right about winning the division. I'll take any playoff spot though.

Old
08-21-2011, 03:23 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I could see them winning the Atlantic if everything falls into place, however, I'm still not convinced that they're anything more than a 2nd round team at this point. Maybe Richards comes and completely changes the dynamic of this team. Maybe Gaborik gets back to form. Maybe an offensive rookie steps up and contributes big numbers into the top-6 ala Stepan last year. Maybe the defense takes a big step up and matures at a rate that we didn't expect.

There are a lot of things that could happen.

I still think they need a power play qb, and a power forward to do real damage in the playoffs.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I could see them winning the Atlantic if everything falls into place, however, I'm still not convinced that they're anything more than a 2nd round team at this point. Maybe Richards comes and completely changes the dynamic of this team. Maybe Gaborik gets back to form. Maybe an offensive rookie steps up and contributes big numbers into the top-6 ala Stepan last year. Maybe the defense takes a big step up and matures at a rate that we didn't expect.

There are a lot of things that could happen.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stepan really exploded this season. I'm not expecting it, but he's the type of player that can make things work for him. A lot like Richards, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I still think they need a power play qb, and a power forward to do real damage in the playoffs.
Dubinsky.

If he can grasp some consistency, this guy has the mind and body of a power forward. His issue is mindset - when he's playing a physically imposing game, he can flat out control a game at times. Problem is, he starts to think he's a skill player after a while, and it limits his effectiveness. If he plays with Gaborik/Richards, he could have a HUGE year statistically.

Kreider could potentially become that as well. He's still a few years away, though.

I agree that they need a PPQB from the defense, though. They need an offensive defenseman period.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

I think this team, this year through the next 3 or so is about as good as it is going to get this decade.

In other words, you better hope so. Or we're not getting the cup for a loong time.

Rookies need to break through. Erixon and Thomas/Zuccarello need to step in and become impact players. We need to have limited injuries, an improved power play, and better faceoffs. Mix that with a 40 goal Gaborik, and yes, we could in theory compete for the cup.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stepan really exploded this season. I'm not expecting it, but he's the type of player that can make things work for him. A lot like Richards, actually.
I'm not in disagreement with you at all here. This kid's smarts are at a level that I don't think any of us expected them to be at any point in his career. He's such a smart player that I really think that he could make that jump to that next level.

Quote:
Dubinsky.

If he can grasp some consistency, this guy has the mind and body of a power forward. His issue is mindset - when he's playing a physically imposing game, he can flat out control a game at times. Problem is, he starts to think he's a skill player after a while, and it limits his effectiveness. If he plays with Gaborik/Richards, he could have a HUGE year statistically.
Great assessment of Dubinsky. When he keeps his edge, he plays like the player he could be. When he starts to think that he's a skilled finesse forward, he loses it. I want this kid to develop a nasty streak. I really think that's when his game takes that next level jump. I think he could be like a smaller version of a Keith Primeau when it's all said and done.

Quote:
Kreider could potentially become that as well. He's still a few years away, though.
We all hope so, man. The hope of Ranger Nation lies on this kid's shoulders, sadly enough. Until we're able to draft a player that resembles a franchise player, this kid is what we have to hope for.

Quote:
I agree that they need a PPQB from the defense, though. They need an offensive defenseman period.
They've needed one since Leetch, it's horrible. This power play has been god awful. The Rangers were 12th in goals scored despite a HORRIBLE powerplay. With a top-4 defender that can create offense from the backline and on the power play, I think this team could really take the next step.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I think this team, this year through the next 3 or so is about as good as it is going to get this decade.

In other words, you better hope so. Or we're not getting the cup for a loong time.

Rookies need to break through. Erixon and Thomas/Zuccarello need to step in and become impact players. We need to have limited injuries, an improved power play, and better faceoffs. Mix that with a 40 goal Gaborik, and yes, we could in theory compete for the cup.
Honestly our problem is inconsistent scoring and stupid penalties; get rid of the inconsistency... then we will be a feared team. We are top 5 in Defense lets be #1 in offense! yeah thats far off but you know what I mean. We have a world class goalie and we just need to score more. if our D holds up and we score at least 3 goals a game we'd easily get 50 wins.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:42 PM
gotmonte

I DONT THINK at this time we will WIN the Cup. But we can contend for SURE

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Artem Anisimov

With a healthy team in the playoffs, I think it's a possibility.
We have a Conn Smythe winner in Richards. If he and Gaborik gel we could have a deadly 1st line. BTW, Richards IS a good powerplay quarterback.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

They contender status is only going to look better each year for the next three years.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:27 PM
ck20

Just about everything hinges on Hank's health. Biron is a serviceable backup, but if Hank went down for the remainder of a season+POs, we'd be pretty royally screwed. Our D just keeps getting exponentially better each year while our O sort of just creeps along, but no doubt still making some noise in the process.

Do they have a decent chance of winning the Cup this year? I'd say so, at least on paper. Will they? Who knows, that's the whole fun of watching our boys in blue!

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
gotmonte

the issue I have is EVERY TEAM will put their BEST against our fist line. Which leaves Cally and Dubi as our saviors.

If richards can be shut down its a wrap.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote