HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semin coming over ....

Old
08-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

vCash: 500
I don't think that Semin is worth 3 1st rounders.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
ecemleafs

rather try and get that other skilled russian winger the caps have.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
3 1st rounders for Semin, hell ****ing no. 8 first rounders for Bobby Ryan, hell ****ing yes
Agreed. The point is you shouldn't trade firsts, especially multiple firsts, for players that are not both elite and complete players. Elite in the sense that they are among the very best at an aspect of the game (which Semin is - scoring) and complete in the sense that they don't have a glaring weakness, in other words that they can play both sides of the puck well and have passion or heart. Semin is an elite goal scorer but is very inconsistent and plays with very little heart. To me, he is not "complete" whereas a player like Ryan absolutely is. 8 firsts might be a bit much but I'd honestly think about 2 or 3 - he is the archetypal player that this team needs. An elite winger who plays rough, passionate hockey and has a great scoring touch.

I don't want Semin on this team period. I don't care what the deal is for. Bradley was frustrated enough to mention him by name as someone who has all the skill in the world but "doesn't care" - do we think guys like Torts, Callahan, Staal, Dubi etc. are going to think any differently of him? I don't.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Here here, agree 100%! Some of these fans can't seem to get enough of these lazy, soft, east west euro floaters who are allergic to backchecking and leave it on the bench more times than not. Don't we have enough of this crap with Gaborik now and Zherdev, Frolov and many others in the past?
No need to generalize. There are plenty of North American "floaters".

By the way, Gaborik and Frolov aren't floaters at all. Gaborik has a tendency to hang back away from the play at times, but he certainly knows how to handle himself in the defensive zone. On about 95% of his shifts, he backchecks, is always in great defensive position, and always reads the play. He'll get caught in the neutral zone or out of position at times, but that isn't his role. Given his role, he is more than fine defensively. His role is actually to be somewhat of a "floater", in that he shouldn't have to do the "dirty work" in the offensive zone — he never was that player, and he never will be. He is a player who waits for a seam to open up in the opposing team's defense in favor of boardwork. Now, with Richards in the fold, he can play in that role.

Same with Frolov, who wasn't a "floater" in any sense, he just had no finish. He would work along the dirty areas of the offensive zone, take abuse in front of the net, backcheck, and work the defensive zone. No "floating" at all.

Zherdev was and always will be a "floater", however. Which is a shame, because he's actually an impressive 200 ft player when he's trying.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. and i didn't even copy and paste all those nos. if we must have him, get him as a UFA this summer, and only after you've lost out on Parise. He's not the type of player that the Rangers have tried to mold themselves after. He'll probably end up playing half hearted play and resemble Frolov or Kovalev 2.0. certainly not worth 3 1sts. 8 for Ryan? That's crazy talk.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. and i didn't even copy and paste all those nos. if we must have him, get him as a UFA this summer, and only after you've lost out on Parise. He's not the type of player that the Rangers have tried to mold themselves after. He'll probably end up playing half hearted play and resemble Frolov or Kovalev 2.0. certainly not worth 3 1sts. 8 for Ryan? That's crazy talk.
I'm exaggerating to make my point. Ryan > Semin by a landslide. And I'd do anything to get him, that is my point. Obviously I wouldn't give up 8 1st's

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
you think we could get him for a bunch of 1st rounders? our 1st round pick for the next three years

thoughts?

btw it worked with a 1st and 2nd in NHL11

one year away from being UFA?

a playoff no show

the list goes on

this can not be a serious offer and at 6.7mill for this year
cap can not afford to keep him and no team will want him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Now hang on a minute. You don't need to be a european to float, and you not all European players do float.

The terms "floater"and "euro" are used as though they are synonymous although they are not.

Semin is not worth the effort. Especially not with this coach. If it was Renney I might say give it a try if he falls to free agency.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If the team is going to try and get Wolski to work with Torts, I'd much rather have Semin in that role instead. I don't gut the team, but if its some assets to replace Wolski with Semin I do it every time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
gotmonte

a player who played with the caps last year and signed with tampa (I can remember his name) was quoted saying Semin DOES NOT CARE IN THE PLAYOFFS. Basically he plays for the hell of it. Not to win. He is a premadona and he basically couldnt stand the guys lakc of caring in the playoffs. He did go on to praise Ovie though.

I heard this on NHL XM on Channel 92 either yesterday or the day before. I believe it was yesterday.

Anyways, I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM. Especially for a FEW first rounders?! Hell NO

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
a player who played with the caps last year and signed with tampa (I can remember his name) was quoted saying Semin DOES NOT CARE IN THE PLAYOFFS. Basically he plays for the hell of it. Not to win. He is a premadona and he basically couldnt stand the guys lakc of caring in the playoffs. He did go on to praise Ovie though.

I heard this on NHL XM on Channel 92 either yesterday or the day before. I believe it was yesterday.

Anyways, I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM. Especially for a FEW first rounders?! Hell NO
Matt Bradley and he signed with Florida (Panthers).

He's played with Semin for 3/4 years/

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

NO!

Lazy, choker... Doesn't care about the game. He doesn't put the effort in, Torts would make him **** the bed

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Artem Anisimov

No way in hell I would want Semin. Especially for 3 firsts. I dont even think the Caps would trade him for 3 firsts. They're planning to contend, they don't need more prospects.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Hmmmm trade for a guy who would easily become our most skilled winger next to Gaborik. No way we don't want him!

I would take him any day but not for 3 1st rounders though.

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder if some of you even know who Semin is. The stereotypes I read in this thread make me lol.

Don't want Kovalev version 2? Kovalev just finished a HOF calibre career. We obviously won a cup with a "Kovalev type talent" Oh wait He's not HOF worthy but Chris Drury had a great great great career and is HOF worthy. I just shake my head at some comments on here.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:21 PM
mike14

based on the title, this thread is so much wasted potential

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 08:10 PM
NYR Dubi 17

dude semin for 3 first rounders?!?!?!? ar does this bring back memories. Phil kessel for 2 first rounders..... aka seguin and who was it hamilton? i dont even know who it was... but you got to be kidding me 3 first rounders..... wow

NYR Dubi 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 08:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also, Semin's playoff stats:

30 points in 37 games. He's had one bad playoffs where he's scored 2 points in 7 games. This year he scored 6 in 9. The 2 years before that? 22 in 21.

You can say he's become a choker (though 6 in 9 is still just fine unless you're crazy) but he's proven he can produce in the playoffs. He's had one bad year, one okay year, and two great years.

Old
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

No. Inconsistency and Tortorella do not mix well.

Tortorella was not very happy with Zherdev.

Let's stick with what we have.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's rather amazing to have some posters here compare Semin to Zherdev. You may not like Semin, but there's no comparsion, skill-wise (or point wise for that matter).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:55 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's rather amazing to have some posters here compare Semin to Zherdev. You may not like Semin, but there's no comparsion, skill-wise (or point wise for that matter).
While I agree that Zherdev isn't even close to Semin's level, it doesn't change the fact that he is lazy, dives, and is the general anti-thesis to identity that this organization is trying to build.

You want to shell out draft picks on a player? Go get Parise and fix the mistake that was made in the 2003 1st round.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Sticky Fingers

Many posters here will be genuinly surprised when Parise is not a part of Rangers 2012.

Regarding Semin, one guy bashes him when he leaves the team and suddenly he ain't worth nothing? He's not the toughest player, but he sure got the skill. All player can't be passionate, hardass NA's like eh Drury...
3 firsts no. 1 st,2nd +prospect an conditional first if he resigns (which would mean he fits) yes.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:46 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think that's too hefty for a soon to be UFA, but i'll say this before departing this thread because it's obviously an unpopular opinion:

Semin's become the whipping boy there because they don't want to get on OV or anyone else, while Semin is easy to blame for their lack of success because he's a streaky, Kovalev-esque guy. The problems in Washington run FAR deeper than Alexander Semin, but nobody wants to admit it. Maybe instead of running his mouth, Bradley should've been helping them score in the playoffs (his line had zero points, by the way, in all 9 games they played) Semin, fairly or unfairly, has become their whipping boy. If they don't win it all this year, I can't wait until they trade him and then continue to fail in the playoffs. Wonder who'd they blame then, probably Backstrom.

Semin at his worst as he's demonstrated, though, is better than Wolski at all levels except his ABSOLUTE best. Semin at his best is an elite talent.

For the right price, I take a flyer on him and put him on a line with one of the hardest working players in the NHL, Ryan Callahan.

It also doesn't help that Boudreau is a clown of a coach.

Obviously, Semin's not the first choice when it comes to turning this team from a "contender" into a real contender, but the Parise's and Ladd's and whatnots will cost A LOT more.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 08-22-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old
08-22-2011, 05:45 AM
chip chipperson*

i guess i will say what we are all thinking. dont want to cheer for a guy named semin.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I think that's too hefty for a soon to be UFA, but i'll say this before departing this thread because it's obviously an unpopular opinion:

Semin's become the whipping boy there because they don't want to get on OV or anyone else, while Semin is easy to blame for their lack of success because he's a streaky, Kovalev-esque guy. The problems in Washington run FAR deeper than Alexander Semin, but nobody wants to admit it. Maybe instead of running his mouth, Bradley should've been helping them score in the playoffs (his line had zero points, by the way, in all 9 games they played) Semin, fairly or unfairly, has become their whipping boy. If they don't win it all this year, I can't wait until they trade him and then continue to fail in the playoffs. Wonder who'd they blame then, probably Backstrom.

Semin at his worst as he's demonstrated, though, is better than Wolski at all levels except his ABSOLUTE best. Semin at his best is an elite talent.

For the right price, I take a flyer on him and put him on a line with one of the hardest working players in the NHL, Ryan Callahan.

It also doesn't help that Boudreau is a clown of a coach.

Obviously, Semin's not the first choice when it comes to turning this team from a "contender" into a real contender, but the Parise's and Ladd's and whatnots will cost A LOT more.
Maybe as a UFA if someone like Parise is not available but his price will be high and to the Rangers his value relatively low b/c he does not fit the style they are building and drafting. Washington will want an overpayment from him citing his point production and I don't think the Rangers will be interested in meeting that price.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

I'm not defending Semin, I think he's a cancer, but I've been wanting to say this for a while, and I think this is the right thread to say it in.

I think some guys on here are pushing their luck a bit regarding forwards playing defensively, don't we have enough guys who are good on both sides of the puck? You can't expect EVERY player to be Ryan Callahan defensively, some of you seem to want a whole team of those players but it's just not possible, scorers are there to score, even Torts knows that. Players gifted with elite offensive AND defensive talent are very few and far between, see Datstyuk, Pavel

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote