HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WHL Dmen in 2012 - Official Thread

Old
08-14-2011, 01:05 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Fair enough.

I'm a big fan of Pouliot, actually. I personally think that with a lesser team, he would likely be able to show off his talent a little bit more, and thus likely improve his draft stock. He gets buried a bit, and as a whole, that Portland team can struggle in their own end at times. While he is a developing player in his own end, I definitely don't think he's as bad as some people have made him out to be.

If Brendan Leipsic has a big year, there's no question that he could move up the list. It was hard to put him ahead of Bourke or Severson at this point though, and there's no way you can put him with any of Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, Rielly, or Pouliot ... he simply hasn't had the same success. I'm a huge fan of Leipsic though, he's a real competitor for a little guy, and really stands out on that team of big, lumbering forwards. He could have a similar year to the one Tyler Ennis had in his draft year, wouldn't surprise me at all. He scored some huge goals for them last year, really seemed to step his game up when it mattered most.
Then he should be traded to Kelowna then!

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Pouliot's skating and vision in offensive zone, but man he really struggled in the defensive zone last year, badly. I hope he does improve because he does seem like a great kid. Overall though I do prefer Reilly as of now.

What impressed me with Leipsic as did Rankin was their ability as 92s-94s to play solid line minutes on very deep playoff teams. I am too hoping for a breakout year from year to rise his draft stock. A bit early, but curious which round do you think he would go in as of now?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:20 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Pouliot's skating and vision in offensive zone, but man he really struggled in the defensive zone last year, badly. I hope he does improve because he does seem like a great kid. Overall though I do prefer Reilly as of now.

What impressed me with Leipsic as did Rankin was their ability as 92s-94s to play solid line minutes on very deep playoff teams. I am too hoping for a breakout year from year to rise his draft stock. A bit early, but curious which round do you think he would go in as of now?
I'd venture a guess and say Leipsic would go in the 4th round as of right now, maybe 3rd. Him growing and putting up some numbers would go a long way to helping his stock.

Johansen sticking around Portland would help him too as he would slide in nicely as the 2nd line C. Otherwise he might have to play in over his head.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Rshields

Where did all the Griffin Reinhart spinners go? Bin kind of quiet since he actually played a few games. He got more spin when he was out injured.
Ain't no way Lipsic will draft top 2 forwards from the Dub. I like cheering for the little guys but they have to play 40 minutes in Jr to draft that high.

Rshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshields View Post
Where did all the Griffin Reinhart spinners go? Bin kind of quiet since he actually played a few games. He got more spin when he was out injured.
Ain't no way Lipsic will draft top 2 forwards from the Dub. I like cheering for the little guys but they have to play 40 minutes in Jr to draft that high.
Spinners?

I'm still a big supporter and I still like his upside more than any WHL defenseman for 2012, outside of Murray.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Rshields

I think Rielly is the guy with a lot more to tallent to display on a consistent basis. May not be before the draft but he will have the biggest impact as a pro. JMHO.

Old
08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

There's a few scenarios I want.

The Oilers have the 4th~ overall pick and the first 3 picks are Yakupov, Galcenychuk and Grigorenko.
The Oilers have the 8th~ overall pick and we get Reinhart/Dumba.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Joe Hallenback

Reinhart is 6'4 200 pounds,can skate,has a cannon for a shot and has good hockey IQ. He will be the 1st defender taken in this draft.

How is that for spinning it?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Rshields

Every little bit helps but it ain't over in June. I didn't say he won't draft highest.
No doubt he has a lot of momentum going and it's real easy to add a few pumps. I think he will be fine without me adding to it.
Everybody has a favorite and mine is Reilly.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Leipsic as of right this moment would likely be a 4th-5th rounder. I personally think he's set up for a big year, which may rise his stock as high as the 2nd round. A lot of good wingers on the Portland team that he can play alongside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Reinhart is 6'4 200 pounds,can skate,has a cannon for a shot and has good hockey IQ. He will be the 1st defender taken in this draft.

Disagree. I like Reinhart, but I like Murray more. This reminds me a little bit of the Doughty/Bogosian argument of 2008 ... Murray is on a higher tier than Reinhart ... and IMO, unless Reinhart breaks out in a big way this year, Murray isn't going to be surpassed.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

Disagree. I like Reinhart, but I like Murray more. This reminds me a little bit of the Doughty/Bogosian argument of 2008 ... Murray is on a higher tier than Reinhart ... and IMO, unless Reinhart breaks out in a big way this year, Murray isn't going to be surpassed.
And if anyone looks to be "surpassing" Murray it could be Dumba who had a monster U18 tourney.

With that being said, I still like Reinhart more in regards to long term pro potential.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
And if anyone looks to be "surpassing" Murray it could be Dumba who had a monster U18 tourney.

With that being said, I still like Reinhart more in regards to long term pro potential.
More than Murray? No. Dumba, yes.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 06:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
More than Murray? No. Dumba, yes.
Yes, that's what I mean.

Old
08-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Dumba scares me, one of my friends who attended the U-18 camp said he took a run at one of the larger forwards and literally bounced off of him - without causing him to even break stride. These are the kinds of things that can hurt you more than they can help you, either with Dumba getting beat (as he did in this case) or, worse yet, injured. He doesn't have the same frame as a guy like Phaneuf, so it's definitely difficult to see him playing this same style at the next level.

That being said, there's no reason he couldn't be a very effective pro defenseman, he just may need to adjust his style a bit.

It also appears that Griffin Reinhart may have been playing injured the entire time, as he didn't see much ice and wasn't wholly effective when he was on the ice.

Old
08-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Rshields

Quote:
Dumba scares me, one of my friends who attended the U-18 camp said he took a run at one of the larger forwards and literally bounced off of him - without causing him to even break stride. These are the kinds of things that can hurt you more than they can help you, either with Dumba getting beat (as he did in this case) or, worse yet, injured. He doesn't have the same frame as a guy like Phaneuf, so it's definitely difficult to see him playing this same style at the next level.

That being said, there's no reason he couldn't be a very effective pro defenseman, he just may need to adjust his style a bit.

It also appears that Griffin Reinhart may have been playing injured the entire time, as he didn't see much ice and wasn't wholly effective when he was on the ice.
I agree about Dumba. Lots of talent their and the big hits keep us all entertained in Jr, but he can't take that game to Pro.
Here he is against Brandon tough guy Scott Glennie
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/97351
Good showing for a 16 vs a 20 but Glennie ain't known as a scrapper and had a ragdoll going but didn't know how to play it.
I've seen some great scrappy middleweights and Dumba is doing pretty fair for his age but I hope he picks he spots and doesn't get KO'ed by a real heavy like Ferland or MacIllrath.

Old
08-21-2011, 05:53 AM
The Saw Is the Law

You guys forgot Olli Määttä

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:59 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree about Dumba. Lots of talent their and the big hits keep us all entertained in Jr, but he can't take that game to Pro.
Good showing for a 16 vs a 20 but Glennie ain't known as a scrapper and had a ragdoll going but didn't know how to play it.
I've seen some great scrappy middleweights and Dumba is doing pretty fair for his age but I hope he picks he spots and doesn't get KO'ed by a real heavy like Ferland or MacIllrath.
Dumba is a middleweight now, but has the frame to be a heavyweight. How many 16 year olds hit like that, or fight like that? Now imagine what he would do with 40 more lbs on him.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
You guys forgot Olli Määttä
I thought he was in the OHL? Regardless it should be very interesting to see how he does in NA. For all I know he could surprise everyone and be the top dman in the draft, but I don't really know anything about him.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:33 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post

I'm not neccesarily sure about this. I have seen Reinhart play a bunch in his rookie year here in Edmonton and I agree his size and reach cannot be taught. His skating is smooth as butter. He definitely has the best toolbox of any defensive prospect but I want to see some more urgency in his game before I take him as the first defender overall. I'm not asking him to be Chara or Pronger out there but he doesn't seem to relish taking over the game on the physical side. The game sort of comes too easy for him and he makes it look that way sometimes.

Obviously I'm not writing him off in any sense because I've seen him play a ton and he very well could be the first (and best) defender taken in the draft, but when I see Murray skating the puck out of the zone without even pausing to think or see him initiate contact with a player going into the corner, I can't help but wish Griffin would do that more often. Same goes for Dumba. I think he will get some PP1 time this year with Pysyk feeding him so he's gonna put up some points and his breakout passes come so naturally, I'm just hoping he becomes a little bit more nasty for a 6'4" guy.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:53 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I thought he was in the OHL? Regardless it should be very interesting to see how he does in NA. For all I know he could surprise everyone and be the top dman in the draft, but I don't really know anything about him.
Oh. Yeah he is in OHL. My bad.

Interesting draft coming up!

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:29 AM
puckfan13

As OP said, look out for Jaynen Rissling as well. He played on a crummy Hitmen team last year and his rookie season their squad was Mem Cup worthy so he didn't get to play as much but this kid is a player and he is HUGE and physical with great offensive instincts. Always plays with his head up. Once again, I will stress that he is huge and can skate. He is a riser and I bet he's gonna be a first rounder.

Old
08-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Dumba is a middleweight now, but has the frame to be a heavyweight. How many 16 year olds hit like that, or fight like that? Now imagine what he would do with 40 more lbs on him.
Even at 6'0", 210 pounds (if he added 40), that's certainly not a heavyweight by any standards. In fact, that's barely middleweight range - especially for a guy who wants to step out and throw massive checks like he does. Imagine what happens to a guy that size who steps out of position to hit an Alex Ovechkin ... I guarantee you that 9/10 times, he's going to either miss or get laid on his backside - and either way, he's going to get beat on the play. He might get lucky every so often, but I guarantee you his coaches will do everything in their power to prevent him from trying that sort of hit in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
As OP said, look out for Jaynen Rissling as well. He played on a crummy Hitmen team last year and his rookie season their squad was Mem Cup worthy so he didn't get to play as much but this kid is a player and he is HUGE and physical with great offensive instincts. Always plays with his head up. Once again, I will stress that he is huge and can skate. He is a riser and I bet he's gonna be a first rounder.
Rissling could very well raise his stock with a good season, though in our prelims we didn't have him in our top 15 or so. He could wind up on that "next tier" with Severson, Gow, etc. I don't see him as a first rounder at this point, but anything's possible over the course of the season.

Old
08-21-2011, 03:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Tough guy Scott Glennie?....

And Dumba's not stupid. He's not going to try and fight McIlrath...

Old
08-21-2011, 04:05 PM
McSorley 33

The Scott Glennie comment was a joke; we all know Glennie isn't a tough guy.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
puckfan13

GoChiefsGo - I'm assuming you live in Spokane, so you see a lot of US Division games. What are your impressions on Nick Walters from Everett? Got invited to the Hlinka camp. Obviously didn't put up points or anything but he's a rangy stay at home guy who makes good, simple plays from the back-end.

Old
08-21-2011, 06:43 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even at 6'0", 210 pounds (if he added 40), that's certainly not a heavyweight by any standards. In fact, that's barely middleweight range - especially for a guy who wants to step out and throw massive checks like he does. Imagine what happens to a guy that size who steps out of position to hit an Alex Ovechkin ... I guarantee you that 9/10 times, he's going to either miss or get laid on his backside - and either way, he's going to get beat on the play. He might get lucky every so often, but I guarantee you his coaches will do everything in their power to prevent him from trying that sort of hit in the NHL.

You sure give a lot of guarantees.

Hitting isn't all about weight of course. It's okay to be a bit shorter, if you have a broad build, and strong legs. There are many big hitters in the NHL that aren't heavyweights, and Dumba has the potential to be a bigger hitter than a lot of them.

Of course I agree though, that he won't be able to compromise his positioning nearly as often as he does in juniors (luckily for him that's just one facet of his game). But you're making it out like open ice hits don't happen in the NHL, and that it doesn't translate at all. Yes he won't be able to do it all game long, but he can in junior, and thus hone that part of his trade. He'll definitely have to pick his spots, but it will be a much more refined skill due to him being able to run wild in junior. Dumba has a good mind for the game, better than Phaneuf's, so he'll learn to pick his spots at the next level.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote