HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Christiansen?

Old
08-21-2011, 03:05 AM
BritSabre

vCash: 500
Erik Christiansen?

Erik Christiansen is a guy who has been bouncing around NHL teams since he broke into the league. He has an excellent shot, but has been a victim of a numbers game at centre for the teams he has played for (Pittsburgh, Anaheim and NY Rangers). His versatility has often left him playing on the wing.

Perhaps he would be a good addition to our top 9. He'd get the opportunity to play his natural position - centre - and could be a replacement for Tim Connolly (though that might stretch). I'd like to see him with Hecht and Boyes on the 3rd line. It would be a fairly risky move as he struggles with consistency, but he is a cheap, impending UFA ($925k, 1 year) so he won't lumber us for more than a year. Burying Morrisonn and Kotalik would comfortably cover his salary.

It seems like the odd-one-out in New York, not the greatest sign, but he's got talent. Might he be available cheaply? 4th? 5th maybe?

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

no thanks, we have enough guys who don't hit. He's always had decent skill, just no real fire to his game.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:00 AM
BritSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
no thanks, we have enough guys who don't hit. He's always had decent skill, just no real fire to his game.
I do understand, but there aren't any of those players available. Erik would add a natural centreman to the roster, one with decent scoring potential.

Old
08-21-2011, 07:07 AM
JeffMangum
#corgi

vCash: 50
You don't want Christensen in your top-9 consistently — he can adequately play a bit of spot duty in the event of an injury, but ultimately, he's a spare forward. He's skilled, but he has absolutely no intensity in his game, and has major confidence issues. He's actually gotten therapy for it while in the NHL — and, while therapy isn't exactly an uncommon practice, it certainly isn't a good sign for a professional athlete.

From a Ranger fan, I'd glady ditch him for a late pick. He's pretty useless most of the time he's in the lineup. He is, however, a phenomenal shootout talent.

By the way, he was a center in his time with the Rangers (he was actually played with Gaborik a LOT). He rarely played wing.

08-21-2011, 07:17 AM
BritSabre

If the people I'm inquring with is telling me I don't want the player I must be way off!

Old
08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Blitz
EI-KILL 4 McEICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
If the people I'm inquring with is telling me I don't want the player I must be way off!
Honestly, I don't think it's that crazy of a thought. EC would be a good fit as a 3rd line centre based on skill - it's just that Erik takes WAY too many shifts off, he is very difficult to keep motivated (think Kovalev minus the raw talent), If the Sabres could make a decent $$$ shed and pick up EC for scraps I'd be for it... otherwise, No.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If Leino bombs at center, Hecht gets hurt and Adam is still needs more seasoning, he could be a placeholder until the deadline. Otherwise, nope.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
If Leino bombs at center, Hecht gets hurt and Adam is still needs more seasoning, he could be a placeholder until the deadline. Otherwise, nope.
Even then, they can't afford him without some creative cap-a-nomics. That he's a career journeyman who despite getting serious icetime with someone like Gaborik is still unable to pile up any points... I'd rather they look elsewhere.

08-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's that crazy of a thought. EC would be a good fit as a 3rd line centre based on skill - it's just that Erik takes WAY too many shifts off, he is very difficult to keep motivated (think Kovalev minus the raw talent), If the Sabres could make a decent $$$ shed and pick up EC for scraps I'd be for it... otherwise, No.
Would you consider it a crazy thought to bring in a Light version of Connolly to play 3rd line center for the team? Because that is exactly what you're suggesting.

Here's the depth chart at center:

Roy
Leino
Gaustad
Adam

After that you can move over:
Boyes
Hecht
Ennis

If you can't get through an 82 game season with those 7 options then you either dig a little deeper into the AHL or you pick an EC off the scrap heap.

Although it would be awesome if he was on the team because he and Drew Stafford are both accomplished guitar players and could have some sick jam sessions!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote