HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Marek Zidlicky for real?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think you missed his point. He was stating that his first two games were going to be different than his last two due to his inconsistency.
Exactly

Old
10-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Jericho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
"I'd take Vokoun over Dunham 99 out of 100 times.."

game 7 of the cup finals? no thanks, Dunny is a game breaker. If he plays well the rags win, bad we lose, our teams sucess hinges on him, thats how important he is to us!

I think you can say the same for about 25 teams in the league. That's how important a goalie is for almost any team with the exception of a few stud teams like Colorado, Detroit, etc...

Old
10-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Preds may very well have, and it was a risk they were willing to take.. Unfortunately for Ranger fans, its not the way the Rangers do business.. If Marek came to ranger camp this year, with his one way contract, and played well, but not "amazing" then Sather would have left him unprotected and he would have been gone for nada..

I don't doubt that Nashville kept the goaltender they wanted to keep, and the one that will be paying off for a much longer period of time, but "the best" goalie between the two is still to be determined. Kind of like when the Rangers had to let Beezer go and kept Richter.. You understood the move, and it was mainly due to Richter's potential, but that didn;t mean Beezer was any slouch himself.. I still don't see how Dunham was "not a team player".. From what I've read, even Vokoun has said that Dunham helped him out a lot.. But that's besides the point.. The Rangers are very happy with Dunham and they should be, but I still think they overpaid..

(BTW- I grew up playing with Dunham, we never stayed in touch, so its not like we're "tight" but he always was a quiet kind of kid who's silence was viewed by reticence from those that didn't know him. But when you did know him, he was a damn good guy who was dedicated to honing his craft.. He was injury prone a bit then to, it's that lanky frame...)
Having a one-way contract has no effect on a player's waiver eligiblity. Players who sign their first professional North American contract at age 25 or older are exempt for their first year. Zidlicky can be sent down at any time without out risk of losing him.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Dunham was not a team player in Nashville and consistantly blaimed the team in the papers after a bad game. He hated the Nashville media (which his wife was a part of) and one time wouldn't even skate out on the ice for his star of the game after one game.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think you missed his point. He was stating that his first two games were going to be different than his last two due to his inconsistency.
Thats not what he said. He said look at the first two games of the season. He did not play both games of the season.

But his first two games were not different from his last two. He lost
5-3, tied 0-0, tied 2-2 and won 3-1. How is that inconsistent?

It's fine that you like the trade. I do too. However, it seems like Preds fans are hell bent on make sure people believe that the Preds fleeced the Rangers and that's simply not true.

10-22-2003, 06:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Thats not what he said. He said look at the first two games of the season. He did not play both games of the season.

But his first two games were not different from his last two. He lost
5-3, tied 0-0, tied 2-2 and won 3-1. How is that inconsistent?

It's fine that you like the trade. I do too. However, it seems like Preds fans are hell bent on make sure people believe that the Preds fleeced the Rangers and that's simply not true.
False. I'm simply stating Dunham is inconsistent, and IMO he is. It was a good trade for both teams, but I think Nashville got the better end of the deal..and by my post I did mean look at the first games of the season versus the games torwards the end. He is a good goalie, dont get me wrong, but even when he was here in Nashville he left me frustrated b/c many times he just did not bring his A game to the ice. Maybe he has changed in NY

Old
10-22-2003, 07:22 AM
PredsMan

I like Mike Dunham...I think he's a darn good goalie when he wants to be...I think the change of scenery got him out of the rut he had gotten into.

Mike has good games, Mike has bad games...what goalie doesn't?

It was a good trade for BOTH teams...who cares who "won"?

Old
10-22-2003, 08:42 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
False. I'm simply stating Dunham is inconsistent, and IMO he is. It was a good trade for both teams, but I think Nashville got the better end of the deal..and by my post I did mean look at the first games of the season versus the games torwards the end.

:
Which part don't you understand???

You said look at the 1st 2 games of the season.As Singin' said he did NOT play in the 2nd game where we lost 5-0 so what is there to look at?

He had ONE bad game, the FIRST of the season.That's really uncommon for a goalie not to be as sharp in the 1st game of a season.

Since then he has played the other 3 games and something like a 0.95GAA and a .960 sv%!!!Sounds terrible to me.

I can count on one hand the games where Dunny hasn't been sharp since coming to NY.Comment on how he played as a Pred all you want as you saw every game but don't try and paint a inaccurate picture of what he's doing in NY b/c you obviously haven't followed it or you be talking a different tune.That's all NYR fans are saying.

I had a feeling Zidlicky was going to be good but until a guy gets over to NA you never know how he'll perform so great for you that he has been a bright spot so far.

Kloucke I was far more upset about giving up as if he ever overcomes his being so prone to injury the kid is a monster and has all the tools to be a mean, stay at home tough defensive d-man.

If the both work out along with some of the young D-men coming up the Preds will have a very nice defense in a couple of yrs.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Which part don't you understand???

You said look at the 1st 2 games of the season.As Singin' said he did NOT play in the 2nd game where we lost 5-0 so what is there to look at?

He had ONE bad game, the FIRST of the season.That's really uncommon for a goalie not to be as sharp in the 1st game of a season.

Since then he has played the other 3 games and something like a 0.95GAA and a .960 sv%!!!Sounds terrible to me.

I can count on one hand the games where Dunny hasn't been sharp since coming to NY.Comment on how he played as a Pred all you want as you saw every game but don't try and paint a inaccurate picture of what he's doing in NY b/c you obviously haven't followed it or you be talking a different tune.That's all NYR fans are saying.

I had a feeling Zidlicky was going to be good but until a guy gets over to NA you never know how he'll perform so great for you that he has been a bright spot so far.

Kloucke I was far more upset about giving up as if he ever overcomes his being so prone to injury the kid is a monster and has all the tools to be a mean, stay at home tough defensive d-man.

If the both work out along with some of the young D-men coming up the Preds will have a very nice defense in a couple of yrs.
Look, I said I was referring to the first games of the season versus the games at the end of the season. I also said that Dunham has been a good goalie for the Rangers, so far. However, I CAN say he is inconsistent based on the 217 games he played as a Predator versus the 47 games he played as a Ranger. Sheesh...next time read my whole post.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:30 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Come on JR#7 and Singng. Common sense would dictate what he said especially after he explained his statements. Come on guys. It really isn't that hard. Does he have to put the word "hypothetical" in the sentence to make you guys happy?

Old
10-22-2003, 12:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Come on JR#7 and Singng. Common sense would dictate what he said especially after he explained his statements. Come on guys. It really isn't that hard. Does he have to put the word "hypothetical" in the sentence to make you guys happy?

Truth be told, I still have no idea what his point is. If he wants to say that Dunham is inconsistant, fine. Relating that point to the first two games of the season or the last two games of the season of any game during the season that is played on a Wedesday makes little sense to me because I'm not understanding what he is trying too/prove.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Truth be told, I still have no idea what his point is. If he wants to say that Dunham is inconsistant, fine. Relating that point to the first two games of the season or the last two games of the season of any game during the season that is played on a Wedesday makes little sense to me because I'm not understanding what he is trying too/prove.
Point is, in Marek Zidlicky's fans quest to garner some respect for the diminutive dynamo, they have dedicated three HF pages to his honor..

Unfortunately 2 and a half are regarding Mike Dunham..

I can't believe that nobody's brought up the point that it's pretty friggin' hard to be a consistent Goalie on an expansion franchise..

Old
10-22-2003, 03:12 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
I can't believe that nobody's brought up the point that it's pretty friggin' hard to be a consistent Goalie on an expansion franchise..
Quit injecting common sense into the argument, will ya?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:48 AM
The_Wiz

I say 35 points for Z-man this year ! Maybe 40 !

What do you guys think ?

Old
10-23-2003, 10:34 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Let me slow this one down for you. He is saying Dunham is inconsistent and that you don't know what Dunham to expect. The Dunham from the start of the season is likely to be different from the Dunham of the middle of the season/end of the season. It really isn't that hard. I'm sure if you didn't have a dog in this race, you could atleast understand it (whether you agree or not).

Old
10-23-2003, 10:43 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
That's not true. You can be consistent. Sure, the numbers might not be, but the play can be consistent. Dunham is not going to stop the two-on-ones we give up all the time. But we expect him to stop the unscreened wristers from the top of the face off dot. Consistency of play and consistency of statistics are two different things. An expansion goalie probably won't have the latter, but he can sure have the former. Dunham's play was rarely consistent. He would play great one game and be the reason we won. Then, he would play horribly the next game and be the reason we lost.

Don't be so focused on the numbers in this situation. Dunham was an inconsistent goalie for the Predators. The best examples can be shown when compared to Vokoun. Though a lot of times Voukoun got the start at the backend of a back-to-back games, he still outperformed Dunham the past two seasons. Maybe not statistically, but, if you watched the games, it was pretty obvious. There was a reason Dunham was happily let go. Because Vokoun had taken over the job. Vokoun was just as spectacular, yet more consistent. He was what we wanted Dunham to become.

And it turned into a Dunham-intensive conversation because someone said they would rather have Dunham than Vokoun. That sparked every Pred fan's interest. That's why Dunham get's talked about.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Let me slow this one down for you. He is saying Dunham is inconsistent and that you don't know what Dunham to expect. The Dunham from the start of the season is likely to be different from the Dunham of the middle of the season/end of the season. It really isn't that hard. I'm sure if you didn't have a dog in this race, you could atleast understand it (whether you agree or not).

Whatever.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:46 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Took longer for Zidlicky to get up after the Nash hit than Rick did. Probably was surprised the 19 year old was that heavy on his skates.

Nope. Zidlicky got up a split second later than Nash. Due, almost entirely, to the fact that Zids landed on his head/upperbody. Unless he has skates on his helmet, he's not going to get up too quickly on that. Both players popped up fairly quickly. Nash is very strong on his skates and it showed. Still, it was a good pop.

Oh, and Tootoo didn't charge. He just rocked the hell out of Klesla. The funny thing about that is he hit him hard again just about 3 seconds after the footage ended.

Check out the game footage

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=18628

Old
10-23-2003, 11:41 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Whatever.
It's what he said, and it seems rather clear to me. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence, but if you back away from this conversation and just read the quote, it makes sense. Forget whether or not you agree, his first game/last game comparison is quite easy to understand.

Closed Thread