HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury announces retirement

Old
08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
As bad as those guys are/where...Drury was pretty much on par with them...
Last year I would agree. But worst ever? That's bold. Purinton played in the NHL

Drury's first (3) years were not on par with those guys. His body broke down. Sucks a lot for everyone involved (including him).

Just a very unfortunate situation but he is off the team, why not discuss the future instead of harping on the past?

I guess that's where I am coming from....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
MSG the place to be*

As far as I'm concerned, Christian Backman and Chris Drury (post-excuses) are the two worst Rangers I've seen.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
94Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Christian Backman and Chris Drury (post-excuses) are the two worst Rangers I've seen.
You must've missed Valeri Kamensky, Igor Ulanov, Sylvain Lefevbe, Stephan Quintal, Kevin Hatcher, Peter Nedved, Marek Malik, Vladimir Malakhov (boy lots of VERY bad defensemen here. I'm sensing a pattern here that the Rangers must have at least one bad defenseman a year that will give us fits. I wonder who it will be this year.)

And if I spelled some of those names wrong, I apologise, but I don't think most of those guys or all of them are worthy of having theirt names spelled right.

Steve Mckenna, Sandra McCarthy.

Basically anybody from 1997-2004/2005 was MUCH WORSE than Chris Drury will ever be.

But I guess a lot of Rangers fans have forgotten about the horrid, terrible players that came thru and played for the Rangers and plagued this team those years. I don't blame them on that part.

Basically, Chris Drury is FAR from the worst Ranger ever and that i've seen. The guy at least didn't dog it and did give effort. He just didn't live up to the massive contract our General Moron gave him.

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:19 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I'm just now amusing myself when reading this thread, by swapping the name "Drury" with "Druryomin", or "Semin" or "Yashin". Oh, what an absolute massacre of the persona it would've been in here during the same circumstances. And you sure wouldn't have heard even a squeak about that foreign players have families too.

But now, it's Captain America, playing on a team where $1m defensemen gets booed out of the arena if their first game is bad - and they have a weird name that is hard to pronounce. To be fair to Captain America, it's pretty hard to be booed when you're mostly invisible or not even on the ice. Captain America could suck for seasons in a row, earning tens of millions and things were still extremely quiet around him, fans wise. And then to top it off, he could end it all with a total ****** move against his former "childhood team," the team that made him the captain, while simultaneously shuffling him into a quieter and quieter role on the ice, since he just degenerated in his performances like a crack addict.

It's unbelievable how nice the Rangers were to this bum and this is how he repaid the kindness. He should've been forced up in the stands eating popcorn years ago. And then we're amused by a plethora of excuses from Drury defenders for his ****** move. Hypothetical financial trouble. He has a family. A (greedy) desire to play on (for two weeks) after his buyout, which is the most logical one, since insurance would've covered the other options. That, or he is the antichrist of the Rangers. It was just destiny.

edit: missed some letters.
Funny but not entirely accurate. There have been a bunch of Rangers posters here who have been haranguing his play for a while. I think I'm one of them. True that we've got a lot of resistance back but I think it should be kept in mind that there was a lot of media hype built up over the years--the little league world series, the BU thing, the Stanley Cup championship--and he was a good player then but that Colorado team had a lot of all stars--so by the time he got to Buffalo--he was Captain Clutch--and that's a feel good story for American hockey players and fanatics who have always had a kind of inferiority complex when it comes to their Canadian cousins in the sport. The way I put it on the main board to a Buffalo fan who thought Ranger fans were being extremely vicious was like this--the player you remember is not the player we got.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Again, none of us knows exactly what transpired. His motives might have been pure or they might have been motivated by sheer greed. We just don't know. We like to think that we know. Being a fan of a team has changed: with boards like this, writers tweeting from practice, blogs, 24/7 sports radio (not that they cover the Rangers but the analogy applies to other teams and sports), regional sports networks, coaches conferences after games, etc., we all like to think that we know that is going on behind the scene. We try to read between the lines when things are said. We bring our own experiences: as kids playing sports, as adults still playing in adult leagues, as perhaps high school or college athletes, as regular people who have or are working in team situations in non-athletic professions, etc., to our own personal analysis of our teams and its players. But in reality, we just don't know.

I have my own take, just as valid as anyone else's, of the situation. I am as passionate about hockey and the Rangers as anyone else but I also try to be objective and understand the human aspect of the game: a game played by multi-faceted and flawed individuals who, though they might be world class athletes, are no different than anyone else when it comes to every other aspect of their lives.

I see a conflicted player who hemmed and hawed all summer long, vacillating constantly as to what he wanted to do, what he should do, and eventually deciding that there was no choice as to what he had to do.

I bring my own experiences, applicable or not, to the situation. A few years ago I retired after a long successful career in a highly skilled job I loved and that I was pretty well paid for. Money was not an issue: my pension was equal to my salary. Job conditions had changed, and it was evident to me (in a way somewhat analogous to an injury) that I could not do the job in the manner I had been accustomed to.

Reaching that decision to retire was not easy; in many ways it was torturous. One day I was definitely retiring, the next day I was absolutely returning. Some days, when things were going well, I couldn't see myself not staying, other days, I could not see how I could stay under these conditions. Back and forth, back and forth it went. Eventually I made the choice to pull the plug. I also did think about the fact that for my salary, the organization I worked for could have hired three younger workers. But honestly, this choice was about me, my circumstances, my family, and my life. I dare say that few of you, in a similar situation, would make a choice that put you at a disadvantage monetarily or otherwise.

Right or wrong, that is how I see what transpired this summer. Drury wasn't sure as to what he wanted to do. Should he retire or attempt to return? Did he want to be bought out? If he was bought out, could he hook up with another team? If he retired, what was he going to do with his time? Was he hurt badly enough to go on the long-term injured list? What did his doctors think? His rehab probably had good days that convinced him he could continue to play and bad days that depressed him terribly. He likely had pain free days and days that he hurt badly. I think that eventually things coalesced in his mind, and he reached the decision that he had no choice but to retire. He could not have made that decision in June or July. Only in August, after much internal back and forth, could be make a final choice. All Drury showed in this is that he is human, no different from each of us. It had nothing to do with his personality on the ice, "screwing" the Rangers, or other maliciousness attributed to him by some on these boards.

As I've said many times, until we see players as people, complex and many-sided, and not as stick figures in a fantasy, video game, we are missing much of the enjoyment (and frustration) of being a fan. These guys might be world class athletes and genetic freaks, but they are no different from any of us here.
I'm facing a somewhat similar situation now Al but I can hardly wait for it to be over. A lot of downsizing and a lot of people needlessly hurt. The worst--A close friend was all the way across the country sitting in a hospital room in the San Diego area--his son a 2nd hitch Marine in the EOD program in a coma with no frontal brain activity and his (my) employer was hassling him over relocating and hassling him over his FMLA claim. That was a year and a half ago and of course the kid is dead but I think it was then that I decided I no longer wanted to work for these *******s and I'm just counting the days down of which there are 770 days left before I meet the minimum requirements for retirement w/o an early out in the meantime. Not going to have a pension that matches what we make now but we will do okay. In some respects I almost feel like I'm in the way of someone who is really going to need the job anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
alkurtz

This is unbelievable: he broke his finger at the start of the season, he broke it again when he came back, he hurt his knee when he returned. He was never healthy or at 100%. He willed himself back for the last game of the year, playing when shouldn't have and possibly doing more damage to his knee. He scored the goal that put us into the playoffs. Though he should not have dressed for any playoff games (his play deteriorated for sure during the series), he felt it was his responsibility to play. I call that guts, I call that will, I call that f.....ing leadership. I call that a guy that teammates would willingly follow into battle. Don't any of you read what teammates said about him? He was like an old, scarred, beat up gladiator faced with almost certain death knowingly and willingly sacrificing his body for his team. When he returned for that final game we saw the real and true Drury in his last hurrah. A ghost of himself, no longer able to do what he once could who wanted to be with his teammates as they faced hockey death and elimination. Yes, his tenure here was a disappointment, much not of his own making. In that penultimate game of the season, Drury showed what it meant to be True Blue.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
sunbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Obsession View Post
You must've missed Valeri Kamensky, Igor Ulanov, Sylvain Lefevbe, Stephan Quintal, Kevin Hatcher, Peter Nedved, Marek Malik, Vladimir Malakhov (boy lots of VERY bad defensemen here. I'm sensing a pattern here that the Rangers must have at least one bad defenseman a year that will give us fits. I wonder who it will be this year.)

And if I spelled some of those names wrong, I apologise, but I don't think most of those guys or all of them are worthy of having theirt names spelled right.

Steve Mckenna, Sandra McCarthy.

Basically anybody from 1997-2004/2005 was MUCH WORSE than Chris Drury will ever be.

But I guess a lot of Rangers fans have forgotten about the horrid, terrible players that came thru and played for the Rangers and plagued this team those years. I don't blame them on that part.

Basically, Chris Drury is FAR from the worst Ranger ever and that i've seen. The guy at least didn't dog it and did give effort. He just didn't live up to the massive contract our General Moron gave him.
Petr Nedved? Really? Even Marek Malik during his first 2 seasons was more valuable than Chris Drury. To compare the guy - the captain with marginal signings ala McKenna or goons ala McCarthy is pointless.

sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
This is unbelievable: he broke his finger at the start of the season, he broke it again when he came back, he hurt his knee when he returned. He was never healthy or at 100%. He willed himself back for the last game of the year, playing when shouldn't have and possibly doing more damage to his knee. He scored the goal that put us into the playoffs. Though he should not have dressed for any playoff games (his play deteriorated for sure during the series), he felt it was his responsibility to play. I call that guts, I call that will, I call that f.....ing leadership. I call that a guy that teammates would willingly follow into battle. Don't any of you read what teammates said about him? He was like an old, scarred, beat up gladiator faced with almost certain death knowingly and willingly sacrificing his body for his team. When he returned for that final game we saw the real and true Drury in his last hurrah. A ghost of himself, no longer able to do what he once could who wanted to be with his teammates as they faced hockey death and elimination. Yes, his tenure here was a disappointment, much not of his own making. In that penultimate game of the season, Drury showed what it meant to be True Blue.
I agree, contract aside, Drury did show a lot of heart last year battling back and trying to play.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Brad Richards has already been talked about like he walks on water and he has yet to share the locker room with almost everyone.

The game is played on the ice. With a puck. The puck was Drury's kryptonite.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
94Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear View Post
Petr Nedved? Really? Even Marek Malik during his first 2 seasons was more valuable than Chris Drury. To compare the guy - the captain with marginal signings ala McKenna or goons ala McCarthy is pointless.
Yes. Petr Nedved. That guy dogged it for the most part on a night to night basis for the Rangers.

Marek Malik? You kidding me?! Why was he so valuable in his first two seasons than Chris Drury was in his first two? Because he scored a shootout goal between his legs in a glorified skills competition gimmick that shouldn't even be there in the first place?

Anyway, the point was not to compare Drury with all or any of those players that I mentioned. The point was that he was the "worst Ranger or one of the worst Rangers ever" when the players I mentioned were FAR worse and he doesn't even come close.

I'm surprised you didn't say how much of a "great signing and valuable a guy like Valeri Kamensky" was.

I could go on and on as far as worse or worst Rangers go before I get to Chris Drury.

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Last year I would agree. But worst ever? That's bold. Purinton played in the NHL

Drury's first (3) years were not on par with those guys. His body broke down. Sucks a lot for everyone involved (including him).

Just a very unfortunate situation but he is off the team, why not discuss the future instead of harping on the past?

I guess that's where I am coming from....

This is how I would rate Drury:

1st year - slightly above average - he was the 68th scoring leader in the league...was a -3, won 55% of faceoffs...i think everyone would agree that was his best year as a Ranger

2nd year - Average - he was the 81st scoring leader in the league...was a -8, won 51% of faceoffs...his play begins to dip off...

3rd year - below average - he was in a 13 way tie for 227 scoring leader in the league...was a -10, won 53% of faceoffs...can't blame injuries on his decline this year.

4th year - well, you get the point...

Drury was a good player at one point...but by the time he got to the Rangers his play was on the decline and overall, his time in NY was a failure. I don't care what he did anywhere else...he pretty much sucked for us here...people can defend him all they want...but math never lies and just because he blocked shots and cared doesn't mean ****.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
I totally agree with you, but why try to rationalize with common sense. :

Haters going to hate.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:34 AM
MSG the place to be*

In career as Rangers...

Nedved - 478 GP, 351 P, (.73 ppg), -16 +/-
Drury - 264 GP, 151 P (.57 ppg), -19 +/-
--------------------------------------------------
I guess I just fundamentally disagree with anyone who saw anything positive about Drury. It was all the small things that made him such a detriment to the team.
- Failing to corral passes leading to loss of possession
- Chipping pucks out of the zone too hard or too soft or flubbing altogether (especially on the pk)
- Always being the guy to end a sustained cycle

Hockey is a game of errors, funny bounces, and the like. Obviously every single player is susceptible to some "puck unluck". But Drury's inability to manage the puck was unlike anything I'd ever seen outside of the Boogaards of the league. Drury's defensive play and intangibles are often used as his calling cards...but if you use those terms as basically "what does player X do well that the stat sheet doesn't tell you", then Drury's defensive play and intangibles are way way way worse than his tangibles.

Old
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
I totally agree with you, but why try to rationalize with common sense. :

Haters going to hate.
Can't you say the same thing about guys who defend him....

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Drury battled back, yeah. But guess what he did on the ice when he was back? Nothing. He scored one important goal all year against NJ the last day of the regular season. He had two very good years here, one pretty bad one, and one horrendous one. All in all, Drury's tenure with the NYR was a failure, partly because of the horrible contract Slats gave him, but also in part because after his first two years his game fell off a cliff. I'll always respect Dru, but I'll always try and forget his tenure here when I think about his career.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Again, none of us knows exactly what transpired. His motives might have been pure or they might have been motivated by sheer greed. We just don't know. We like to think that we know. Being a fan of a team has changed: with boards like this, writers tweeting from practice, blogs, 24/7 sports radio (not that they cover the Rangers but the analogy applies to other teams and sports), regional sports networks, coaches conferences after games, etc., we all like to think that we know that is going on behind the scene. We try to read between the lines when things are said. We bring our own experiences: as kids playing sports, as adults still playing in adult leagues, as perhaps high school or college athletes, as regular people who have or are working in team situations in non-athletic professions, etc., to our own personal analysis of our teams and its players. But in reality, we just don't know.

I have my own take, just as valid as anyone else's, of the situation. I am as passionate about hockey and the Rangers as anyone else but I also try to be objective and understand the human aspect of the game: a game played by multi-faceted and flawed individuals who, though they might be world class athletes, are no different than anyone else when it comes to every other aspect of their lives.

I see a conflicted player who hemmed and hawed all summer long, vacillating constantly as to what he wanted to do, what he should do, and eventually deciding that there was no choice as to what he had to do.

I bring my own experiences, applicable or not, to the situation. A few years ago I retired after a long successful career in a highly skilled job I loved and that I was pretty well paid for. Money was not an issue: my pension was equal to my salary. Job conditions had changed, and it was evident to me (in a way somewhat analogous to an injury) that I could not do the job in the manner I had been accustomed to.

Reaching that decision to retire was not easy; in many ways it was torturous. One day I was definitely retiring, the next day I was absolutely returning. Some days, when things were going well, I couldn't see myself not staying, other days, I could not see how I could stay under these conditions. Back and forth, back and forth it went. Eventually I made the choice to pull the plug. I also did think about the fact that for my salary, the organization I worked for could have hired three younger workers. But honestly, this choice was about me, my circumstances, my family, and my life. I dare say that few of you, in a similar situation, would make a choice that put you at a disadvantage monetarily or otherwise.

Right or wrong, that is how I see what transpired this summer. Drury wasn't sure as to what he wanted to do. Should he retire or attempt to return? Did he want to be bought out? If he was bought out, could he hook up with another team? If he retired, what was he going to do with his time? Was he hurt badly enough to go on the long-term injured list? What did his doctors think? His rehab probably had good days that convinced him he could continue to play and bad days that depressed him terribly. He likely had pain free days and days that he hurt badly. I think that eventually things coalesced in his mind, and he reached the decision that he had no choice but to retire. He could not have made that decision in June or July. Only in August, after much internal back and forth, could be make a final choice. All Drury showed in this is that he is human, no different from each of us. It had nothing to do with his personality on the ice, "screwing" the Rangers, or other maliciousness attributed to him by some on these boards.

As I've said many times, until we see players as people, complex and many-sided, and not as stick figures in a fantasy, video game, we are missing much of the enjoyment (and frustration) of being a fan. These guys might be world class athletes and genetic freaks, but they are no different from any of us here.
This is a great post at least it's rational and doesn't force your viewpoint down others throats or challenge them as if they're wrong. His motives I don't care about it's only the end result here. Like I said it's only one selfish mistake in the scope of a life it doesn't make him a bad guy or player it'sjust what it is. As a fan of the team that got screwed I am annoyed. It makes 100% logical sense for me to be annoyed why anyone would questions being annoyed at this is just beyond me.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I can not believe this thread is still going strong.

1) He was a great soul-player who played his ass off when he was healthy
2) He had a great career int he NHL and for USA hockey
3) His teammates loved him and he was a captain for (2) organizations for a reason.

4) Sather and the Rangers greatly overpaid for him
5) His body broke down FAR sooner than everyone thought it would
6) He was a large mistake who will not be off the books for another (2) seasons.

We all get it. People are beating a dead horse here. Both sides are at fault but I am sure neither side saw this sort of ending when they started the relationship.
You did not even come close to describing why people have recently gotten pissed. Yet again someone on the give Dru a break side that does not even get the simplest concept.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
You did not even come close to describing why people have recently gotten pissed. Yet again someone on the give Dru a break side that does not even get the simplest concept.
I'm not giving anyone a break. I even stated it was both sides fault but what the hell does your *****ing do?

Absolutely nothing.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Yea thanks for coming back and plkaying like crap. Guts appreciated, leadership appreciated, on ice play sucked so it's panned. The good was appreciated but the bad is also not appreciated and the bad..was real bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
You're right thats its a dead horse, but I will not let the issue rest until every poster accepts that Drury's on-ice play was the worst they've ever seen.
K this is going too far and is just as wrong as some of the stuff the pro Dru's have been posting. His first years were not bad enough for him to warrant consideration for worst ever though his last two added to this 2 year cap hit for no play certainly equates to some of the worst.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I'm not giving anyone a break. I even stated it was both sides fault but what the hell does your *****ing do?

Absolutely nothing.
Oh really because all of our support on this site does so much too right? And all of our speculating aboutprospects that certainly does a lot! And our anti sather talk or pro Hank talk, etc. Nothing you do on here matters at all it is a 100% waste of time and energy. The ignorant arguments people come up with in this thread are astounding. Again you want to calm sides by pointing blame at each thats fine but then at least try getting it right and pinpointing th correct thing. It's a really simple concept and of course someone who wants people to stop talking about this (Which is more pro Dru stance than Anti if you read this thread) doesn't seem to get whats going on.

So last time I'll spell it out if you want to diagnose the negatives of why people are annoyed and tell them to stop then you should at least get it right and identify why they are annoyed otherwise it comes off a you not being informed and yet telling people who are informed how to feel and what to do. Anyway speaking of wasting time Ive spent waaaaaaay too much time in this thread o good luck telling people how to think about Drury pulling a piece of crap move and being a craptastic player for us.

LOL list them???? (Reference to below post) Like I said another clueless guy comes here trying to tell people witha clue what to do. Thanks for proving my point. Try reading even the page in the thread before this or better yet use your brain and think about why his retirement and cap hit pissed some people off. I even bolded it for guy like you. I assume you're a big boy you can figure it out man. MAybe I should Bold the above in this very post as well. Here I'll bold and caps it since you don't get simple concepts. NOTHING WE DO ON HERE MATTERS. NEITHER OUR REASONS FOR SUPPORTING THE TEAM AND PLAYERS OR FOR BEING PISSED...NONE OF IT MATTERS. NONE OF IT MEANS ANYTHING. TO POINT OUT THAT THIS DRURY THING OF ALL THINGS MEANS NOTHING IS STUPID. I hope the irony of what you said hits you.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 08-22-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Oh really because all of our support on this site does so much too right? And all of our speculating aboutprospects that certainly does a lot! And our anti sather talk or pro Hank talk, etc. Nothing you do on here matters at all it is a 100% waste of time and energy. The ignorant arguments people come up with in this thread are astounding. Again you want to calm sides by pointing blame at each thats fine but then at least try getting it right and pinpointing th correct thing. It's a really simple concept and of course someone who wants people to stop talking about this (Which is more pro Dru stance than Anti if you read this thread) doesn't seem to get whats going on.

So last time I'll spell it out if you want to diagnose the negatives of why people are annoyed and tell them to stop then you should at least get it right and identify why they are annoyed otherwise it comes off a you not being informed and yet telling people who are informed how to feel and what to do.
Then list them out. Because it doesn't really matter. The reasons mean absolutely jack-****. That's the whole point.

Old
08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Garv23

The guys gone right? Let it go...

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Drury is a schmuck so much for having plenty in the fuel tank. Guy threatens to prevent a buyout, then allows it, then when he realizes he screwed himself decides to retire because no one is going to give an injured old guy a contract. Not when he fights with his club and he was supposed to be some kind of role model leader, pft...he showed he's not the way he handled the buyout process. Nice job Chris. Have a happy Christmas serving up pizzas!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote