HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do the Blueshirts have what it takes?

Old
08-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Theoretically yes they can...its unlikely though...the team has the feel of a club that is lacking 1 final piece....another superstar forward could push them from stanley cup playoff team, to stanley cup championship contender.

they are banking on that player coming from within this season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I could see them winning the Atlantic if everything falls into place, however, I'm still not convinced that they're anything more than a 2nd round team at this point. Maybe Richards comes and completely changes the dynamic of this team. Maybe Gaborik gets back to form. Maybe an offensive rookie steps up and contributes big numbers into the top-6 ala Stepan last year. Maybe the defense takes a big step up and matures at a rate that we didn't expect.

There are a lot of things that could happen.

I still think they need a power play qb, and a power forward to do real damage in the playoffs.
Why do people still ignore the fact that Richards is a PP QB?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Theoretically yes they can...its unlikely though...the team has the feel of a club that is lacking 1 final piece....another superstar forward could push them from stanley cup playoff team, to stanley cup championship contender.

Another sniper on the wing is the most glaring additional need.

But I also think they need another dominant force on the blueline. And by dominant force, I mean another top tier shutdown guy like Staal or, more preferably, someone that can add some offense from the backline.

Can that offensive player be Del Zotto? Can McDonagh emerge into Staal territory, can Erixon come in and surprise right away? Lots of questions on that blueline.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Like most have said, they are 1 to 3 years away. If they don't get to the 2nd round and take it to at least 6 games this year, I will be very disappointed. Then in the off season, they need to acquire a few more pieces. I know everyone is immediately going to say Zach Parise, but I highly doubt the Devils would EVER let him come to us. I have my sights set on Patrick Sharp. We are 2 to 3 players away from being serious threats. If all breaks right for us this year, we could shock the world and make it to the finals..but really, everything HAS to break right.

And yes, the Islanders jerseys are HIDEOUS. They always have been. I actually kinda liked the Gordon's Fishermen jersey, but it asked to be made fun of, cause it looked like...well Gordon's Fishermen!!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Vitto79

no pt to ask this questions now, ask it again half way through the yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

But I also think they need another dominant force on the blueline. And by dominant force, I mean another top tier shutdown guy like Staal or, more preferably, someone that can add some offense from the backline.

Can that offensive player be Del Zotto? Can McDonagh emerge into Staal territory, can Erixon come in and surprise right away? Lots of questions on that blueline.
Our blueline is very solid, it is just a matter of letting the guys improve. I think that this team could make a run at the cup this season as is, but it is more then likely that we are a second round type of team this season

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
the issue I have is EVERY TEAM will put their BEST against our fist line. Which leaves Cally and Dubi as our saviors.

If richards can be shut down its a wrap.
This is how every team deals with superstars. They do their best to shut down the big names, which leaves the second and third lines to do their job. Fortunately, I think we have one of the best second lines around. You tell me that the defense's top men wear them selves out with Richie and Gabby? Watch our role players take advantage of it. On top of that, not all teams have a Staal/Girardi like shut down.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Bardof425*

If the PP is a weapon we can contend. Having a scary PP changes the way teams play against you; they do anything to stop a scoring chance knowing that once on the PP you will fail when your PP stinks. When it is dangerous, the opposite is true.

The roster without any rooks making a splash is very good. If we get an impact rook or two watch out.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Yes.

08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
EEDAWGZ

You never know, how many of you guys penciled in the Bruins to win the cup at the beginning of last year , not many I'm willing to believe

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Nich

i think we have what it takes. it will take a few guys playing over the expected production, but let's be honest, this is the best team we have had going into camp in a while.

DROP THE PUCK!!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i think we have what it takes. it will take a few guys playing over the expected production, but let's be honest, this is the best team we have had going into camp in a while.

DROP THE PUCK!!!!
We will be in the top 5, if we stay consistent

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Our blueline is very solid, it is just a matter of letting the guys improve. I think that this team could make a run at the cup this season as is, but it is more then likely that we are a second round type of team this season
Thats an awfully rosy outlook, I hope youre right....but Ive been watching this sport too long to truly entrust 1st and 2nd year players.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:46 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Why do people still ignore the fact that Richards is a PP QB?
Because have you seen how well a forward at the point has worked out for us in the past?

I know Richards is a PPQB, but I want a defender that can do the same and provide a big shot from back there. I know we're not getting Shea Weber or anyone of the like, but there's no reason to not want a legitimate offensive contributor on the backline.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:05 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Because have you seen how well a forward at the point has worked out for us in the past?
I wouldn't necessarily consider that relevant when discussing Richards' 'quarterbacking' abilities. I mean, just look at the forwards we've had at the point at times: Callahan, Drury, Kotalik, Gaborik, Wolski, Jokinen, Zherdev, etc. ALL of them failed, and not because of the Rangers, but because none of them were actually powerplay quarterbacks. Richards, however, is a different animal. He has been playing and excelling in that facet for, what, 7, 8 years? I'm not worried about him in the least.

Quote:
I know Richards is a PPQB, but I want a defender that can do the same and provide a big shot from back there. but there's no reason to not want a legitimate offensive contributor on the backline.
This I agree with. It's pretty sad that this team hasn't had a legitimate puck mover since Leetch. When is the last time a Ranger D put up even 40 points? It's pathetic.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Gaborik and Richards (if healthy) are stars who each should be close to a lock for top 20 or better in points in the NHL next year. Not sure how many star players are needed unless you are looking for this team to be the 1984 Oilers.

Overall team statistics in goals against, goals scored and goal differential for this team last year were close to the Stanley Cup Champion (Bruins). Now adding a star in Richards makes this team as good as a contender as any in the NHL.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Rangers1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rangers View Post
Slightly off topic: the Isles' uniforms are awful. They need to go back to the Gorton's fisherman logo.

I think the Islanders jerseys are really nice. Top 10 nicest jerseys to me. Hopefully they don't change it again. They are nice looking jerseys.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Gaborik and Richards (if healthy) are stars who each should be close to a lock for top 20 or better in points in the NHL next year. Not sure how many star players are needed unless you are looking for this team to be the 1984 Oilers.

Overall team statistics in goals against, goals scored and goal differential for this team last year were close to the Stanley Cup Champion (Bruins). Now adding a star in Richards makes this team as good as a contender as any in the NHL.
Agree! Im very excited and very confident! I always am confident and support.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

I think that McD has the potential to become a Staal-caliber player. Obviously, we'll see how he does this year, but if he builds on what he did last year, he won't be THAT far off. If he can become an awesome shutdown defenseman like Staal, and also be good for about 30 points and change, I think our blueline would be as good as it needs to get.

No guarantees that will happen, of course, and there's also the question of how good Erixon ends up being. Definitely a big fan of our D corps moving forward, though, like everyone else.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Thats an awfully rosy outlook, I hope youre right....but Ive been watching this sport too long to truly entrust 1st and 2nd year players.
I have been watching hockey my entire life, and I really think that our D is set for the next decade. I do not think that they are going to regress, but I digress

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote