HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
08-14-2011, 11:13 AM
overlords
#FakeBlous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Hi
I used to follow computer technology, But now im hesitating between 2 laptop
I'm looking for a laptop around 1000+taxe
A: SONY VAIO
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...spx?pid=finder

B: HP
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...bdca899055en02

desc | A | B
taille | 16.4 | 15.6
résol | 1600*900 | 1366*768 |
type | i7-740QM | i5-480M
core | 4 | 1
speed | 1.73GHz | 2.66GHz
disk | 500gb | 750gb
Ram | 4gb | 6gb
graph | NVIDIA GeForce 310M GPU | Radeon HD 6550
memory | 512Mb | 1024Mb
batteri | 3hr | 4h30
Prix 999 | 899
extra none | Xbox 360 (not important ^^ but to take in consideration)

It's used to play at SCII + Left for dead 2 + other games
I also develop softwares applications web sites (asp.net, visualstudio, sql server etc...)

Ps. if you have another laptop in mind in same price range. I would love to compare
Thanks
A quick look turned up quite a few deals better than these. Also I'm pretty sure the 480m has 2 cores and not 1.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...fCjCVqHCjCdwwp

http://www6.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=039997

I wouldn't buy a HP or a Sony.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:58 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

I recently got a laptop and got this with it, it appears to be for something signal related but not sure what it is:

Any ideas how to work this and what it is?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's a network adapter but when I plug it into my computer, it's not detected, am i missing something?

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 08-17-2011 at 07:12 PM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:55 PM
overlords
#FakeBlous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I recently got a laptop and got this with it, it appears to be for something signal related but not sure what it is:

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's a network adapter but when I plug it into my computer, it's not detected, am i missing something?
Tv tuner antenna. I win cookies.

Old
08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
buddahsmoka1

Might need to have/download some software for it to make it useful.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:05 PM
King In Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Looks like an amplifier for a router , it usually can plug into the back of a router where the antenna usually goes (from the picture this is what it looks like to me if it's at all computer related).

Last edited by King In Glory: 08-17-2011 at 08:24 PM.
King In Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:18 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

I think it is a TV tuner now. I just don't know how to work it at all. I have two adapters, this antenna and a cable to laptop adapter. I assumed the 2nd one was the the tv tuner and this for the networking or something. I fail to get how to use it tbh. I only have 1 slot for both cables on my laptop so it's a one-or-the-other scenario, but not sure how to use antenna. The direct cable seems pretty straight forward though.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
buddahsmoka1

Radio possibly?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Radio possibly?
doubt it. Seems a little strange to give me a radio adapter. Then again, i'm not great with this particular stuff so who knows.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

For anyone who was thinking of getting an iPad but thought it was too expensive, the HP TouchPad is down to $99. It doesn't have the iPad apps. (Well it has some of them, Facebook, Twitter, Angry Birds, etc mostly the mainstream ones)

But for $100 you get a good device for Web browsing, Facebook/Twitter, e-book reader, Magazines reader, YouTube, it has working Adobe Flash for non YouTube video sites, etc.

At $100 this is a steal!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/08/19/re...-150-for-32gb/

Apparently they have been FLYING off the shelves at Futureshop and Best Buy and Staples will put them on sale tomorrow.

Last edited by Sined: 08-19-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
For anyone who was thinking of getting an iPad but thought it was too expensive, the HP TouchPad is down to $99. It doesn't have the iPad apps. (Well it has some of them, Facebook, Twitter, Angry Birds, etc mostly the mainstream ones)

But for $100 you get a good device for Web browsing, Facebook/Twitter, e-book reader, Magazines reader, YouTube, it has working Adobe Flash for non YouTube video sites, etc.

At $100 this is a steal!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/08/19/re...-150-for-32gb/

Apparently they have been FLYING off the shelves at Futureshop and Best Buy and Staples will put them on sale tomorrow.
Sweet deal.. nothing to lose with this one...

1 issue: Bestbuy and Futureshop are out of stock for in-store pick-up.... also nothing available for delivery online....

Bureau En Gros still showing 399$...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:59 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

1 issue: Bestbuy and Futureshop are out of stock for in-store pick-up.... also nothing available for delivery online....

beg better follow!

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
CrAzYNiNe

It changed but you can't buy one. Bed time, go check it out in the morning.

Old
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Not true. I checked future shop and bestbuy and like you, nearest 25 stores were sold out. I tried out online buying on future shop and bestbuy and to no avail. So...I looked at 32GB version, same issue...except, at bestbuy it was available online on backorder. Snagged me one. Luckily, I made it just in time because now it's showing:

Order Online:
Not available online

Old
08-22-2011, 12:22 AM
overlords
#FakeBlous

It's not a good buy people. For one, you're buying a HP product, which already should throw up red flags. Not only that, but you're buying a hp product that they're discontinuing right away, meaning no more updates, and no support.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:17 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It's not a good buy people. For one, you're buying a HP product, which already should throw up red flags. Not only that, but you're buying a hp product that they're discontinuing right away, meaning no more updates, and no support.
It would of been an almost 10 inch screen to stream off wifi for habs games at work.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
If you can jailbreak it its a steal! If not forget it. 99$ is pretty cheap for a tablet. I own an ipad2 and paid 10 times as much. Is it ten times better? I'm pretty sure no, but at 99$ it's cheaper then most iPods!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Find me something that will do Web browsing, Facebook/Twitter, e-book reader, Magazines reader, YouTube, Adobe Flash for non YouTube video sites, etc better and for $100.

Also, HP's name might be on it, but this is Palm through and through. The OS is Palm, the internal hardware is good (found in HTC flagship phones Sensation and EVO 3D).

Old
08-22-2011, 03:39 AM
overlords
#FakeBlous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Find me something that will do Web browsing, Facebook/Twitter, e-book reader, Magazines reader, YouTube, Adobe Flash for non YouTube video sites, etc better and for $100.

Also, HP's name might be on it, but this is Palm through and through. The OS is Palm, the internal hardware is good (found in HTC flagship phones Sensation and EVO 3D).
I'll admit, I was hasty to blow off the touchpad sale that quick, but I still wouldn't buy it. There are reasons why it hasn't sold well. WebOS being as cool as it is goes to show how the rest of the package doesn't measure up to the competition. It falls short to the Ipad2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 in almost every category. Granted they're more expensive, but price drops will come (never to 99$) eventually. The internal hardware is good, sure, but the device has been poorly optimized and is known to hang for hardly any reason at all. A few reviews I read when it came out even cited major flaws in the browser's online video playing capabilities. A snapdragon is nice, but only when it works the way it's intended.

Maybe it's my anti-HP bias, but I just couldn't bring myself to put 100$ down, on one of their products. I've fixed way too many HP computers that clients have brought me to trust them.

Old
08-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I'm going to buy one just for *****.

I don't think I would spend $500 ++ for an ipad but I can waste 100 bucks without feeling bad about my purchase.

Upon further review - sold out everywhere.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Andy

Looking to pickup a laptop....I don't know too much about comps....

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for one...does anyone know what I should be looking for?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
I'll admit, I was hasty to blow off the touchpad sale that quick, but I still wouldn't buy it. There are reasons why it hasn't sold well. WebOS being as cool as it is goes to show how the rest of the package doesn't measure up to the competition. It falls short to the Ipad2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 in almost every category. Granted they're more expensive, but price drops will come (never to 99$) eventually. The internal hardware is good, sure, but the device has been poorly optimized and is known to hang for hardly any reason at all. A few reviews I read when it came out even cited major flaws in the browser's online video playing capabilities. A snapdragon is nice, but only when it works the way it's intended.

Maybe it's my anti-HP bias, but I just couldn't bring myself to put 100$ down, on one of their products. I've fixed way too many HP computers that clients have brought me to trust them.
I understand. You're right, it is a clearly inferior product. Just on the features it can do decently a $100 is still a steal.

I think for techies the prospect of possibly getting Android on it is already worth $99

Old
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Looking to pickup a laptop....I don't know too much about comps....

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for one...does anyone know what I should be looking for?
You should be looking in the specials.

I always check on tigerdirect. Especially now that it's the back-to-school season, they've got a lot of good deals on laptops. Buying a laptop isn't as complicated as it used to be. You've only got to spend 500 bucks now and you'll get something of quality that's going to do everything you need it to do. Obviously, some of these will only last 6 months to the people who buy it and never do any maintenance, but for those who take care of their computers it isn't out of the norm to get 3-5 years of quality use out of a computer.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Andy

Is there anything specific I should be looking for though? I got ****ed over with the last comp I bought

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
You should be looking in the specials.

I always check on tigerdirect. Especially now that it's the back-to-school season, they've got a lot of good deals on laptops. Buying a laptop isn't as complicated as it used to be. You've only got to spend 500 bucks now and you'll get something of quality that's going to do everything you need it to do. Obviously, some of these will only last 6 months to the people who buy it and never do any maintenance, but for those who take care of their computers it isn't out of the norm to get 3-5 years of quality use out of a computer.
3 years quality use if you go mainstream IMO. If someone buys i3 processors now, i'd be shocked it's good 3-5 years down the road.

Quote:
Is there anything specific I should be looking for though? I got ****ed over with the last comp I bought
Personally I get i5 minimum, but honestly, it depends what you use it on. For reference, dell has a fair i5(with 4gb ram, 500 gb HD) at 599$ plus taxes but if you plan to use it more as a school tool than anything else, you can drop down to i3s. Other than that, dell usually has it priced slightly higher than what you'd get if you build it on your own and buy the pieces yourself. So it's entirely up to you.

Old
08-22-2011, 12:01 PM
overlords
#FakeBlous

Quote:
You have MSN? I'll send you my email and I'll help you find a good deal.