HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Who will be the 2011-2012 whipping boy?

Old
08-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Clock

vCash: 500
Roy / Leino / Ehrhoff.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
There's a direct correlation to who the media pick out and who the fans subsequently do IMO. TBN has famously chosen targets in the past that become repeatedly the subjects of editorials and columns that criticize salaries, lament flaws of particular players and champion the idea ad infinitum of how much better the team would be if they dump player "X". I'm not saying that fans don't form their own conclusions but the constant press coverage that focuses negatively on certain players is bound to influence the public perception of any player. I don't think it's a coincidence that the three players you listed were all blatant targets of WGR and TBN staffers during their times as well. Heck, I'll admit that my own disdain for Connolly was certainly heightened by the repeated reports I heard from the media about his practice habits and avoidance of scrutiny.

I think the safe conclusion to reach from all of the predictions above is this: any player that doesn't perform up to expectations (either based on past stats and/or salary) will become a focal point of criticism - and that the players targeted can change often during the course of a season. I don't think there's any current player on the roster that fans just dislike regardless of their play.
Yes. Yes. And, Yes!

I think the HFBoards community isn't nearly as influenced by the media as the general Buffalo fan, but after hearing or reading it over and over and over again sometimes you start to believe it or at least focus enough on it during games that its all you see.

We're all capable of making our own judgements, but sometimes others perceptionsm become our reality.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Ball1374

I really think it'll be Ehrhoff. After 3 consecutive 40 point seasons, including his career high of 50 last year, I think Bucky will pick him out first of the group. $18 mill in the first year is enough reason for a few highly fine articles from Bucky by Dec/Jan if he's invisible/pulls a bad Monty in the first few months of the season.

Ball1374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball1374 View Post
I really think it'll be Ehrhoff. After 3 consecutive 40 point seasons, including his career high of 50 last year, I think Bucky will pick him out first of the group. $18 mill in the first year is enough reason for a few highly fine articles from Bucky by Dec/Jan if he's invisible/pulls a bad Monty in the first few months of the season.
Mike Harrington was on Twitter the other day saying Ehrhoff needs to be a Norris-type defenseman for $40 million. The bat**** insanity has started already.

Bottom line: The guy's a bargain for a $4 million cap hit if his career continues along the same path. Unfortunately, some idiots won't be able to separate the totality of Ehrhoff's contract from the annual cap number - which is the more relevant of the two.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The only answer is Miller...

The Sabre's, based on their roster, are now good enough to win the SC as long as they have solid goal tending.

If they faulter the goat will be Ryan Miller.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Hecht has been my whipping boy for the longest time. I think he's more deserving than Boyes.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:06 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Hecht. It will be totally undeserved and fought, but he's going to be the guy the hate will focus on.

I already shudder.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Hecht. It will be totally undeserved and fought, but he's going to be the guy the hate will focus on.

I already shudder.
that is because he doesn't score 40 goals, I mean really what does he do for this team !1!!!

just incase []

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Dreakon

I think Leino will get a pass this season unless he's a complete bust. Everyone that followed the signings this offseason have seen his "not worth the contract" stats in his NHL career and know that he hasn't played center in a few years. Thusly, no one really expects that much of him.

He's lined up more to surprise people than disappoint this season unless he just plays pretty lousy hockey.

I'd say Stafford is probably going to become the whipping boy. Just signed a fancy new contract (came off of a contract year, right?), I can see him slowing down and frustrating everyone for the exact same reasons he did before last year. Inconsistency, flashes of brilliance, not using that big body of his, etc, etc. Maybe even a benching. But that's worst case scenario...

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball1374 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Mike Harrington was on Twitter the other day saying Ehrhoff needs to be a Norris-type defenseman for $40 million. The bat**** insanity has started already..
Harrington seems to have already made up his mind on Ehrhoff before the guy has even played a minute as a Sabre - his questions in the press conference towards Erhhoff were obviously slanted towards trying to entice Ehrhoff into admitting if he felt any pressure from his contract. It's a given IMO that any game that Ehrhoff ends up as a minus in, has a turnover or fails to register an offensive point in this season will become immediate fodder for Harrington to bolster his agenda with another "see, I told you - the Sabres overpaid for him.....he's feeling the pressure of his contract..." nonsense.

I expect Hecht and Sekera to also be alternated into the rotation of rant subjects by Harrington this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
Hecht has been my whipping boy for the longest time. I think he's more deserving than Boyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post

I already shudder.
Sadly, because of their expiring contracts, both players will get even more attention from the TBN experts in some misguided attempt of urgency to discourage Sabre management from extending / re-signing either player. Couple that expected annoying trend by TBN with the very strong liklihood in Hecht's case that the Sabres will not only keep him through the season but probably re-sign him next summer to a short term deal and I suspect we're all in for a long litany of editorial sermons from Gleason, Sullivan, Harrington and Hamilton about how the Sabres don't know what they're doing and are repeating the mistakes they made on Connolly, Afinogenov, Kotalik and other past TBN targets.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:48 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Thomas Vanek, Jochen Hecht, Ville Leino, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Ales Kotalik, Jhonas Enroth.

You know, the type of player TBN loves to pick on.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Ruff is the root of all evil, next to Regier

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:23 PM
PuckSim8

I think Money will be the whipping boy. Whoever is the highest paid player, in terms of salary not cap hit, who is going the worst at any given time will draw the ire of the media and the fans. It's definitely not a good way to go about it, but it seems to happen every year.

PuckSim8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
OkimLom

For me personally:

Miller
Gaustad
Sekera

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Thomas Vanek, Jochen Hecht, Ville Leino, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Ales Kotalik, Jhonas Enroth.

You know, the type of player TBN loves to pick on.
Regehr? Enroth?

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Boyes and Stafford have the greatest potential for being whipping boys. They'll be fine if they can produce, but if they have a few off nights in a row you can expect them to be thrown under the bus by TBN and fans alike.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Goose08

Stafford...I think he'll be slow out of the gate and might even struggle to pot 20 goals this year.

Between the new contract and the raised expectations after last year, I'll bet a lot of fans will be pointing fingers in his direction.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:22 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Regehr? Enroth?
Our non-North American players.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Our non-North American players.
Regehr and Gragnani are North American.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:25 PM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
Seriously! I mean what type of player even is he? People say two way forward but that's still iffy. I would much rather see Luke Adam in his place or even Eric Belanger would have been nice instead of Hecht. I just think his time has come and gone like Grier.
He's the type of player that you don't replace all that easily. He's one of the best defensive forwards on this team. I don't think he's even in the two-way category anymore, because his offensive output just isn't there. However, that's not what makes him important to the team. He's got leadership capabilities and from what I understand, seems to have respect amongst his teammates. He can skate well enough to stick with some of the best opposing offensive players. He kills penalties very well. Sometimes a forward doesn't have to be a goal scorer to be useful. I think sometimes people look at him and just because the goals aren't there, that automatically makes him a bad player. For me, that's just not the case.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
LGBuffalo

I think Vanek might be in the discussion as well, as unjustifiable as it might be. If he goes into any kind of scoring slump, people tend to jump on him. I would like to see him continue to round out his game by helping to set up a few plays and continue to develop his leadership skills. I would trade some of his goals for better team unity, leading to more wins.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I can see it being Leino because he's got huge expectations. Boyes to an extent and I won't be surprised if people complain about Leopold as well.

If Leino pans out boy the doubters will be wrong. If the doubters are right, they won't let us or Leino hear the end of it.

I personally hate having a whipping boy, as I usually try to look for the good in every player. Sometimes that's very hard to do though, when a player is just beyond frustrating to watch (Butler, Kalinin).

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Hopefully it's Morrisonn, and hopefully he doesn't play a single NHL game for the Sabres all season.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Clock

It's nice to have to actually think who it's gonna be given that there isn't an obvious answer on the roster, eh?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:52 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
It's nice to have to actually think who it's gonna be given that there isn't an obvious answer on the roster, eh?
It certainly is Clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52
I can see it being Leino because he's got huge expectations. Boyes to an extent and I won't be surprised if people complain about Leopold as well.

If Leino pans out boy the doubters will be wrong. If the doubters are right, they won't let us or Leino hear the end of it.

I personally hate having a whipping boy, as I usually try to look for the good in every player. Sometimes that's very hard to do though, when a player is just beyond frustrating to watch (Butler, Kalinin).
Talk about whipping boy, and not to mention "failed jersey attempt".. its funny though because I was able to sell his jersey for $45 to a buddy of mine before he was let go that following off-season. I was very Dimitri Biased but still he earned whipping boy status on a reguler basis..

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote