HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nashville - Buffalo

Old
08-22-2011, 01:30 AM
TacticalTanev
Nucks STH

vCash: 500
Nashville - Buffalo

Projected Line-ups (took from the locals)

NSH
Kostitsyn-Fisher-Hornqvist
Erat-Legwand-Wilson
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo
Bergfors-O'reilly-Halischuk/Geoffrion/Smith/Beck

Weber-Suter
Blum-Klein
Ellis-Josi

Rinne
Lindback

BUF
Pominville, Roy, Vanek,
Stafford, Leino, Ennis,
Gerbe, Hecht, Boyes,
Kaleta, Gaustad, McCormick

Myers, Regehr,
Ehrhoff, Leopold,
Sekera, Weber,
Gragnani

Miller,
Enroth

I propose two possible trades, given the situations of NSH and BUF.

1st Trade:

NSH gets:
Hecht

BUF gets:
O'Reilly
Future considerations (it's fair to say Nashville will need to add more)

Why they do this:

Nashville loves players like Hecht. Great two-way player, great leader, and decent salary coming back (3 million on a 3.5 million cap hit). They lack some centre depth and it would be an immediate upgrade to their defensive style.

Buffalo would love to have a little more cap room (notice I'm saying cap room, I'm fully aware that the Sabres are fine in terms of cap space.)for a big acquisition at the deadline. They get almost 3 million of the books if they did this. Picking up a young centre in O'Reilly would ensure that the growth of Buffalo as a contender keeps improving.

2nd trade:
NSH gets:
Boyes

BUF gets:
3rd round pick

Why they do this:
Nashville gains some scoring and upgrades their wingers, which they need.

Buffalo gives away their most expendable player, gains some extra cap space for an acquisition. Buffalo would argue that Boyes wasn't the greatest fit there.

Discuss.

P.S. You could also do O'Reilly for Boyes, or Hecht for a 2nd rounder or something, just saying that these are all interchangeable parts.

TacticalTanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:15 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Value is off for both. Until Hecht plays himself off the roster, Buffalo is prolly going to hang on to their longest tenured player and one of the more respected voices in the locker room. Additionally, Nashville isn't ditching a kid like O'Reilly, who played solid until his injury (which also makes this a weird deal for the Sabres), for an aging, middling, glue forward on an expiring contract.

And Buffalo isn't trading Boyes for non-roster assets, especially when it's a worse pick than they gave up for him.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Just combine the two and make it one deal: Boyes for O'Reilly+

I have pretty high hopes for ORLY so I'm hesitant, but I understand that you have to give to get. I'm just not sure Boyes is the last piece Nashville is looking for.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:28 AM
tututooter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Just combine the two and make it one deal: Boyes for O'Reilly+

I have pretty high hopes for ORLY so I'm hesitant, but I understand that you have to give to get. I'm just not sure Boyes is the last piece Nashville is looking for.
No kidding, right?

tututooter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:32 AM
jeanlucgrandpierre
Buffalo Sabres Fan

Neither deal makes any sense for Buffalo.

jeanlucgrandpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:45 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
well i don't like these trades but its not fair to say that they dont make sense for buffalo. getting rid of boyes and hecht clears like 8 million dollars.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:46 AM
jeanlucgrandpierre
Buffalo Sabres Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
well i don't like these trades but its not fair to say that they dont make sense for buffalo. getting rid of boyes and hecht clears like 8 million dollars.
For probably the 1 millionth time, Buffalo doesn't need to clear cash at the expense of weakening their roster.

jeanlucgrandpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
RaiderDoug

As a Preds fan, I do the second in a flash. I'd love to figure out a way to get Boyes on the Preds, especially if it's only for a pick.

As for the first deal, O'Reilly might just put up more points than Hecht this next year, if he stays healthy. For a team needing offense, O'Reilly puts up .47 PPG, Hecht puts up .43. Not a huge difference, but not really a guy that would fill the offensive hole for us - this seems like just a lateral move. All things being equal, go with the younger and cheaper guy.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Simplifying the deal down to Boyes and O'Reilly as the principle pieces, likely with something more from Buffalo akin to a prospect or draft pick, seems fairly workable if they choose to go that route.

Right at the moment, the thought is that both Kotalik and Morrisonn will be waived. If either clears, they have roster spots awaiting them in Rochester of the AHL. That alone gets them into cap compliance.

08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Simplifying the deal down to Boyes and O'Reilly as the principle pieces, likely with something more from Buffalo akin to a prospect or draft pick, seems fairly workable if they choose to go that route.

Right at the moment, the thought is that both Kotalik and Morrisonn will be waived. If either clears, they have roster spots awaiting them in Rochester of the AHL. That alone gets them into cap compliance.
But wouldn't that barely get them under cap? I would figure they would want to get rid of just a little bit more salary so they can make a big move at trade deadline if they are looking toward the playoffs, which they are likely to be.

I don't know the value is right but I think Boyes would be a good player for Nashville to pick up if Buffalo is willing to trade him.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
But wouldn't that barely get them under cap? I would figure they would want to get rid of just a little bit more salary so they can make a big move at trade deadline if they are looking toward the playoffs, which they are likely to be.
About $1.4m with a 21-man roster and Gragnani as both #7 d-man and #13 forward, roughly $900k with a 22-man roster.

Quote:
I don't know the value is right but I think Boyes would be a good player for Nashville to pick up if Buffalo is willing to trade him.
I think both Boyes and Hecht would be a great fit for Nashville. Boyes, because they need scoring, Hecht because he's a versatile defensive forward capable of playing every forward position on every line.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post

Those two moves puts them $929,643 under as of the first day of the season, including MA Gragnani and Matt Ellis. Ellis may be sent down (possible AHL captain) which would put them at 21 roster players with $1,454,643 in available cap space as of day one. They can then start banking the daily hit, just in case.

It's not the tightest they've ever been -- they didn't use LTIR for Connolly back in '07 and ran a shuttle on game day to move players back and forth so to avoid the daily cap hit. Not ideal, but not too bad.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Blitz
EI-KILL 4 McEICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeslerKrony View Post
Projected Line-ups (took from the locals)

2nd trade:
NSH gets:
Boyes

BUF gets:
3rd round pick

Why they do this:
Nashville gains some scoring and upgrades their wingers, which they need.

Buffalo gives away their most expendable player, gains some extra cap space for an acquisition. Buffalo would argue that Boyes wasn't the greatest fit there.

Discuss.

P.S. You could also do O'Reilly for Boyes, or Hecht for a 2nd rounder or something, just saying that these are all interchangeable parts.
I don't see Buffalo moving Hecht - just doesn't make sense to me. I do, however believe Boyes could be available to add some offense for the right price.

Perhaps something like:

To NSH:
F Brad Boyes

To BUF:
C Cal O'Reilly or C Nick Spaling
2013 3rd/4th

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
OcAirlines

A deal around Boyes and O'Reilly had been discussed in quite some threads now and i think it could make sense.

The deals the OP proposed don't work though. The first one helps neither team, Hecht has more value for Buffalo right now and why would Nashville give up one of their better young forwards for a soon to be UFA who is already 34-years old and not a great scorer?
A 3rd for Boyes is just bad value for Buffalo, we'd never do that, even a 2nd might not be enough, Boyes will most likely only be traded for a roster player.

OcAirlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:20 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
preds actually have decent depth at center and even though Hecht is the type of player we typically trade for, right now we dont need to burn 3 million on a 3rd liner.

Boyes for a pick(possibly + a lower level prospect) would make more sense but he will eat 4 mil and we would have to count on him returning to 20-25 goal range...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Devereau

I wouldn't have a big problem in trading Boyes and Hecht if they feel some of the young guys are ready to step up (Adam, Kassian). This would probably leave them some room for a deadline deal if they are looking good at the time.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Boyes for O'reilly is a discussion both teams should have

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Boyes is not being traded for a pick unless it's a part of another deal where Buffalo brings in a top-6 center. It's truly dumb otherwise. They don't NEED the cap space, he's only signed for this season, and he's a good player.

Boyes for O'Reilly+ has been talked about for a while and makes some sense for both sides. It wouldn't happen until after training camp though - Buffalo has to see if Luke Adam can crack the roster and what the implications of that would be.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Nashville loves players like Hecht. Great two-way player, great leader, and decent salary coming back (3 million on a 3.5 million cap hit). They lack some centre depth and it would be an immediate upgrade to their defensive style.
So does Regier and Ruff - for all the reasons you listed....

Quote:
Buffalo would love to have a little more cap room (notice I'm saying cap room, I'm fully aware that the Sabres are fine in terms of cap space.)for a big acquisition at the deadline.
Demoting the Usual Duo provides a little under $2M in cap space. Problem solved.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

And I don't see the "Boyes wasn't a good fit" thing either. He was great when he was playing wing in the playoff push--when injuries forced him to play center he couldn't do it.

Putting him back on wing he should do just fine.

The only reason anyone on this roster will get moved (other than Kotalik/Morrisonn) is for a hockey deal, not a cap dump. I can't see anyone willing to give up what it would take for Hecht since he is incredibly valuable to the Sabres, but the Boyes/O'Reilly thing might be worth looking at.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
preds actually have decent depth at center and even though Hecht is the type of player we typically trade for, right now we dont need to burn 3 million on a 3rd liner.

Boyes for a pick(possibly + a lower level prospect) would make more sense but he will eat 4 mil and we would have to count on him returning to 20-25 goal range...
Hecht is a LW who has stepped in at center due to the Sabres lack of depth there. Ideally, he'd be moved back to LW but we just don't have the depth to do so.

Boyes won't be available for futures, the Sabres are in win now mode. That might actually be better for the Predators given they can ship some salary back, but I don't really see a good salary dump for the Preds that would work for the Sabres since the guys who might reasonably be available and fit for the Sabres are the younger, cheaper players.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Blitz
EI-KILL 4 McEICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Hecht is a LW who has stepped in at center due to the Sabres lack of depth there. Ideally, he'd be moved back to LW but we just don't have the depth to do so.

Boyes won't be available for futures, the Sabres are in win now mode. That might actually be better for the Predators given they can ship some salary back, but I don't really see a good salary dump for the Preds that would work for the Sabres since the guys who might reasonably be available and fit for the Sabres are the younger, cheaper players.
Hecht is a natural centre, who was playing LW due to the Sabres previous depth at centre (Drury/Briere/Connolly/Roy & Connolly/Roy/Gaustad/Neids), and has recently stepped back in at centre due to their current lack of depth there.

The Sabres are on a 3yr. "win mode" plan - therefore IMO, Boyes could be available for established futures (O'Reilly/Spaling/Smithson), if those futures are upgrades at centre over Hecht or Leino.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote