HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers #5 D (bottom pairing LD)

View Poll Results: #5 defenseman (bottom pairing LD)
Tim Erixon 68 64.76%
Michael Del Zotto 31 29.52%
Steve Eminger 2 1.90%
Pavel Valentenko 4 3.81%
Tomas Kundratek 0 0%
Brendan Bell 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
It'll be Erixon. Del Zotto 6th. Eminger 7th

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

IMO as long as he has a good camp, the 5th spot is a lock for Erixon. The 6th spot is MDZ's to lose. It'll be interesting to see the voting for 6th, Emmy and DZ

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Artem Anisimov

Erixon will win the 5th spot. Del Zotto will win 6th with Eminger the 7th.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Del Zotto - Erixon

Let DZ play on his strong side. Erixon is strong defensively, let him play the weak side.

Could benefit them both in the defensive zone and offensive zones.

If the Rangers get set up in the offensive zone with these two at the point, Del Zotto can feed passes to Erixon who would be able to shoot off the pass. He has a good shot from the point.

In the defensive zone, it gets Del Zotto looking at the wall as an option, no cross ice passes through the slot.

Not looking at it as "5th or 6th" its about who works better on what side.

Valentenko and Kundratek are good organizational depth, but unless multiple guys go down with injury or flop miserably, I don't see how these two figure into the long term here.

Staal
Girardi
McDonagh
Sauer
Del Zotto
Erixon
Eminger

Are a very solid and diverse group of defensemen.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
On a hunch, Del Zotto.
"On a hunch"

you remind me of my cousin Vinny.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I went with Erixon, I think he ends up in the top4 by the end of the year if he's got the stamina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Has Valentenko improved his skating ability? Jim Cerny keeps mentioning Valentenko is a not strong skater. Cerny has his weekly chats on the Rangers site. Nearly every question about Valenteno is followed up with a critique about skatig ability. Needs to improve on his skating if he wants to play in the NHL. Jim Schoenfeld discussed Valentenko lacking "foot speed" when spoke with Andrew Gross last season. Valentenko should have been working with Barb Underhill this summer.
No doubt working with Babs would be a good idea and I completely agree with that thought. That said, at the same age was Dan Girardi much better of a skater? IMO these are very similar players, the difference here is the depth the Rangers now have.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I went with Erixon, I think he ends up in the top4 by the end of the year if he's got the stamina.

No doubt working with Babs would be a good idea and I completely agree with that thought. That said, at the same age was Dan Girardi much better of a skater? IMO these are very similar players, the difference here is the depth the Rangers now have.
Except, Dan Girardi is now a proven top pair NHL defenseman capable of playing 20+ minutes against the top forwards in the game, being among the league leaders in blocked shots and hits, all while being capable of putting up 30 points and being underpaid.

Valentenko has no long term (if at all) future here. There's no spot for him. Unless Del Zotto never figures it out (unlikely).

Old
08-22-2011, 05:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Except, Dan Girardi is now a proven top pair NHL defenseman capable of playing 20+ minutes against the top forwards in the game, being among the league leaders in blocked shots and hits, all while being capable of putting up 30 points and being underpaid.

Valentenko has no long term (if at all) future here. There's no spot for him. Unless Del Zotto never figures it out (unlikely).
It doesn't hurt to have depth, and if any of the 4 between Sauer, MDZ, Erixon and McDonagh prove they can play on the top line with Staal, or even if we flip one of those guys and leave Staal and Girardi intact, it allows us to deal out of our strong defense for improvements on our offense.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The depth is great. It gives me confidence in the organization.

However, I wouldn't trade any of our starting 6 defensemen.

If anything, id deal the depth guys (Valentenko, Kundratek) in a package at the deadline for a veteran like Doan, to make a deep playoff run. Just as an example.

I know a lot of people feel Girardi is expendable, but I disagree. He's coming into his own. He's entering his prime. And he's already a huge, and under appreciated part of this team moving forward. No one in our system can replace what he does. And no one on the NHL roster is ready to fill his role.

Old
08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

No doubt and I've always been a fan of DG's and he never worked with Barbara Underhill either.

Should we try to mold Vtank into a more DG like asset or should we let him walk as a UFA because he has no role in this organization?

IMO too much is being made of his foot speed because of the style the coaching staff wants their defense to play. This is being focused on too much because in the end, there are top defensemen on this team already who are no better of skaters.

In some cases the guy who knows how to play defense and skates worse, is better then the guy who constantly skating to get back into the play. I say lets see how he does in camp and he should have a fair chance to win a job.

Regarding hits and blocks, I'm sure you've read the AHL article regarding Vtank as a shot blocker and he's already had a knack for hitting, this guy is just like DG, it's not even funny.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
No doubt and I've always been a fan of DG's and he never worked with Barbara Underhill either.

Should we try to mold Vtank into a more DG like asset or should we let him walk as a UFA because he has no role in this organization?

IMO too much is being made of his foot speed because of the style the coaching staff wants their defense to play. This is being focused on too much because in the end, there are top defensemen on this team already who are no better of skaters.

In some cases the guy who knows how to play defense and skates worse, is better then the guy who constantly skating to get back into the play. I say lets see how he does in camp and he should have a fair chance to win a job.

Regarding hits and blocks, I'm sure you've read the AHL article regarding Vtank as a shot blocker and he's already had a knack for hitting, this guy is just like DG, it's not even funny.
He may have a similar style of play, but again...

Girardi is a PROVEN top pair NHL defenseman.

He logs over 20 minutes against the top forwards in the league.

A leader in the NHL in hits and blocked shots, can put up 30+ points, and is paid below market value, IMO.

He's 27. He has a lot of years left.

Valentenko had one good(not great season in the AHL.

He was passed over by McDonagh quickly, Erixon is already passing him by.

Valentenko's only chance is if one of McDonagh, Sauer, Erixon or Del Zotto flop badly. Which isn't likely.

All of our defensemen are homegrown (NHL debut as Rangers) except Eminger. So we are doing very well developing defensemen. But there's only six starting positions on the NHL roster. Not all of these kids are going to make it with the Rangers.

I could be wrong but I don't feel like Valentenko's future is as a Ranger.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:44 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

new poll is up.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote