Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2011-2012 season Thread

Old
08-18-2011, 10:23 PM
methodfilter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
It's exactly the same thing written in the artile I posted. French or english, it says the same thing. Kitchener released his rights, an OHL team apparently claimed him but the OHL refuses to tell which team. Is that a national security secret?
Yea im not sure either why this 'mystery team' hasn't come forward. I also would assume Kitchener would post a press release about his status if they did release him as they normally do.

Well i guess time will tell what happens!

methodfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:52 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

The territorial right applies only when a team owns his rights. If a team does own his rights, why can't we know which team?

If he did go through waivers without any other OHL team claiming him, he should be a free agent. Blocking him from becoming a free agent when no one has claimed him is just cheap politics. It's not like Roy broke any rule. He just wants know who claimed him. If he's blocked in the OHL without any team owning his rights, Branch is acting against the rules, not Roy.

Yea im not sure either why this 'mystery team' hasn't come forward.

Quite simple... there's no mystery team. That's a lie. I would bet my car on it.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
Not that any of this is really shocking. There's about as much graft and favour trading in the Quebec League as there is in the Quebec government.
You know you can keep your cheap comments for yourself. I'm as much a Canadian as you are.

Old
08-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Libbs

Quote:
The territorial right applies only when a team owns his rights. If a team does own his rights, why can't we know which team?

If he did go through waivers without any other OHL team claiming him, he should be a free agent. Blocking him from becoming a free agent when no one has claimed him is just cheap politics. It's not like Roy broke any rule. He just wants know who claimed him. If he's blocked in the OHL without any team owning his rights, Branch is acting against the rules, not Roy.

Quite simple... there's no mystery team. That's a lie. I would bet my car on it.
Me thinks you're missing the point.

This system is meant for those players that go unwanted in their territorial league that might get a 2nd chance in another league. This system isn't meant for top players to dictate which league they want to play in. Peca is playing the "I'm playing NCAA" card. There's 20 teams in the OHL and each one would love his services. It wasn't as if no OHL were interested in his services. Windsor would have loved to sign him.

Just look at how much effort Roy has put in to try and get Peca... the system is designed to work seamlessly (and it has in the past). All the strings that had to be pulled is a great indication of trying to use a system in a manner in which it wasn't designed to be used.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
RangerRed

Quote:
You know you can keep your cheap comments for yourself. I'm as much a Canadian as you are.
My implications didn't go to patriotism and weren't personal.

My implications went to a kind of systemic corruption that anyone with any familiarity with either a) Quebec business or b) Quebec politics, knows is rampant in the culture.

That's why Roy thought he could get away with this kind of crap. The waiver system is supposed to work, as other posters have mentioned, to give players who are overlooked or discarded in their original territory a second chance. Matthew Peca wasn't overlooked or discarded. He was drafted first by Windsor, his rights were then traded to Kingston who tried to get him to report, he was then waived by Kingston and picked up by Kitchener who wanted him to report, then he would have been picked up by Niagara but for some palm-greasing by Patrick Roy.

This is clearly not an example of an unwanted or discarded player. It's an example of a corrupt Quebec League GM trying to manipulate a loophole in the system to try and end run around the territorial integrity of another league.

Patrick Roy questioning anyone else's integrity is pretty well the definition of irony.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:39 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
My implications didn't go to patriotism and weren't personal.

My implications went to a kind of systemic corruption that anyone with any familiarity with either a) Quebec business or b) Quebec politics, knows is rampant in the culture.

That's why Roy thought he could get away with this kind of crap. The waiver system is supposed to work, as other posters have mentioned, to give players who are overlooked or discarded in their original territory a second chance. Matthew Peca wasn't overlooked or discarded. He was drafted first by Windsor, his rights were then traded to Kingston who tried to get him to report, he was then waived by Kingston and picked up by Kitchener who wanted him to report, then he would have been picked up by Niagara but for some palm-greasing by Patrick Roy.

This is clearly not an example of an unwanted or discarded player. It's an example of a corrupt Quebec League GM trying to manipulate a loophole in the system to try and end run around the territorial integrity of another league.

Patrick Roy questioning anyone else's integrity is pretty well the definition of irony.
I agree. He has zero class. I've seen him coach at Midget tournaments in the past and the guy's a nutcase. Yelling and screaming on the bench, encouraging his players to fight. Crazy!!!

Also, would this not be considered tampering anywhere else?

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:23 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I agree. He has zero class. I've seen him coach at Midget tournaments in the past and the guy's a nutcase. Yelling and screaming on the bench, encouraging his players to fight. Crazy!!!

Also, would this not be considered tampering anywhere else?
Yelling like crazy? True

Encouraging his players to fight? Not true. Quebec is the less penalized and the team with the the less fights in the league nearly every season. If he doesn't encourage them to fight, they don't listen to him very much...

Maybe he eats little kids for breakfast, that I don't know.

Oh... and BTW... he never coached a Midget team...

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 08-19-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old
08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Yelling like crazy? True

Encouraging his players to fight? Not true. Quebec is the less penalized and the team with the the less fights in the league nearly every season. If he doesn't encourage them to fight, they don't listen to him very much...

Maybe he eats little kids for breakfast, that I don't know.

Oh... and BTW... he never coached a Midget team...
I guess you haven't seen the video of his son going crazy on the ice!! Like father like son? Both have been charged for violent acts. Lucky for Patrick he was able to convince his wife to drop the charges. Lucky for her she was smart enough to divorce him after.

And he in fact did coach his son Frederick's team in a Toronto tournament a few back. It may have been Bantam.

The bottom line is that while Patrick Roy was a great goalie, he is no "saint".

Old
08-19-2011, 06:38 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I guess you haven't seen the video of his son going crazy on the ice!! Like father like son? Both have been charged for violent acts. Lucky for Patrick he was able to convince his wife to drop the charges. Lucky for her she was smart enough to divorce him after.

And he in fact did coach his son Frederick's team in a Toronto tournament a few back. It may have been Bantam.

The bottom line is that while Patrick Roy was a great goalie, he is no "saint".
I've never said he was a saint or always working within the rules. Does that really make a difference in the actual situation? Absolutely not.

You can't really blame him for doing everything he can to gather the best team possible on the ice. Isn't that what we all want from our GM?

Let's agree to disagree on this. I'll stop polluting your thread. And he isn't even a Kitchener Ranger anymore.

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 08-19-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old
08-19-2011, 06:52 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
I've never said he was a saint or always working within the rules. Does that really make a difference in the actual situation? Absolutely not.

You can't really blame him for doing everything he can to gather the best team possible on the ice. Isn't that what we all want from our GM?

Let's agree to disagree on this. I'll stop polluting your thread. And he isn't even a Kitchener Ranger anymore.
Sounds like a plan. Time to move on. Good luck to your team this year.....sincerely.

Old
08-19-2011, 07:48 AM
BenchedGuy

Does anyone have any new info on the rumblings of Morrison being traded?

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
methodfilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Does anyone have any new info on the rumblings of Morrison being traded?
Haven't heard anything as of yet. Between Peca, Ashton-Reese, Trouba and Spott getting back from Europe i'm sure we're bound to get some info on something very soon!

Old
08-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodfilter View Post
Haven't heard anything as of yet. Between Peca, Ashton-Reese, Trouba and Spott getting back from Europe i'm sure we're bound to get some info on something very soon!
One thing for sure out of those names is that Trouba won't be here this year.
He still has one more year to serve in the USNTDP.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
methodfilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
One thing for sure out of those names is that Trouba won't be here this year.
He still has one more year to serve in the USNTDP.
Yes you're right about that, sorry. So its next year he has to make the decision of NCAA all the way or the Rangers. Although I wouldn't be shocked if he broke his commitment even after saying he wouldn't.

Old
08-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Edges7

Quote:
The person who recruited Aston-Reese to commit to Brown, Jerry Keefe, has left Brown for a similar role with Northeastern. I have no idea if Whitted has picked up the ball on ZAR or not. I'd be surprised if he did not.

But I did see 5th August article in The Record about ZAR which coincided almost to the day of Keefe's leaving and in which Ferris was quoted extensively. I've said all along that when he shed a D1 route Adviser for an OHL oriented one and who, I am sure, engineered the trade, that the OHL was in strong play.

Just throwing a' whole 'nother Monkey into the wrench.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

One way to find out 100% who claimed him is too have Peca himself make public that he "wants" to talk to whoever owns his rights about maybe reporting to the OHL.

That team would then reach out to Peca.

It can be rounded down to just a couple teams though. After/if the Rangers waived him, the next teams in order going by points (if that's how it works unless the automatic 1st and 2nd seedings apply here) are:

Kitchener - 85
Saginaw - 86
Oshawa - 88
Ottawa - 93
Niagara - 96
Mississauga - League finalists.
Owen Sound - League Champs

(I may be corrected on this order)

Unless Ottawa is below Niagara because of being the 2nd seed, after Niagara passed on Peca, there could only be two teams who could have put a claim in on him. Missy or Owen Sound.

Either one of these teams owe Branch a favour?

I don't want to reopen the hornet's nest concerning as to why Missy was awarded the Memorial Cup, but maybe Branch put a call out to Melnyk ....?

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:55 PM
EvenSteven

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but if the Record was my sole avenue to Kitchener Ranger hockey news, I'd be completely in the dark on this whole Peca to Quebec saga.

Like him or not, Hicks would have at least kept everyone up to date on the issue.

Assuming that whatever is printed in the paper is on their website as well, there is nothing on this situation. The last entry was on August 10th about Gibson reporting.

Where are you Josh Brown?

Old
08-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but if the Record was my sole avenue to Kitchener Ranger hockey news, I'd be completely in the dark on this whole Peca to Quebec saga.

Like him or not, Hicks would have at least kept everyone up to date on the issue.

Assuming that whatever is printed in the paper is on their website as well, there is nothing on this situation. The last entry was on August 10th about Gibson reporting.

Where are you Josh Brown?
I've warned Rangers fans of this very possibility for many years.........careful what you wish for.
Jiff Hicks may have had a writing style that could be very annoying, I understand that. He may have stirred the pot more than a lot of very thin skinned Rangers fans could take.
But very few had the contacts Hicks did. While many find it hard to admit, Hicks was correct more often than not when it came to rumors and not just with the Rangers but in recent years rumors through out the entire league.

Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
methodfilter

Franky Palazzese tweeted a picture of his new goalie equipment today in Ranger colours. I would assume this is making Morrison is pretty much toast at this point.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I've warned Rangers fans of this very possibility for many years.........careful what you wish for.
Jiff Hicks may have had a writing style that could be very annoying, I understand that. He may have stirred the pot more than a lot of very thin skinned Rangers fans could take.
But very few had the contacts Hicks did. While many find it hard to admit, Hicks was correct more often than not when it came to rumors and not just with the Rangers but in recent years rumors through out the entire league.

One has to wonder how long until Hicks finds a gig covering hockey for another newspaper. Methinks he won't want to do the work he is currently doing at the Record for very long.

It kind of makes you wonder the size of stones the powers that be at the Record have. Especially when you consider a guy like Bill Montague can cover junior hockey the way he does in the Soo without that newspaper having to dump him at the behest of the Hounds.

Montague makes Hicks look like an angel!

Perhaps there are new guidelines that Josh Brown has to operate under. Would the Rangers dictate that he is restricted to echoing the lastest news on the Ranger website and not much more.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
One has to wonder how long until Hicks finds a gig covering hockey for another newspaper. Methinks he won't want to do the work he is currently doing at the Record for very long.

It kind of makes you wonder the size of stones the powers that be at the Record have. Especially when you consider a guy like Bill Montague can cover junior hockey the way he does in the Soo without that newspaper having to dump him at the behest of the Hounds.

Perhaps there are new guidelines that Josh Brown has to operate under. Would the Rangers dictate that he is restricted to echoing the lastest news on the Ranger website and not much more.

Disclaimer: I don't really have any inside info on this.

But my hunch, knowing a bit about the inner workings at the Record is that after years of complaints and hate mail from a number of Ranger fans, the editors there finally discussed it with Hicks and said "fine, we'll give 'em what they want" and re-assigned Hicks. All of this knowing full well that Ranger coverage would be reduced to a PR exercise of just regurgitating press releases and doing base coverage with no real insight. And I'm sure the last article on Spott's extension probably drew some ire from the team as well.

All along, I echoed exactly what Hitman said. Yes, his style was annoying and he could be very negative and biased. But he had sources and he dug for stories. And fans need to be careful what they wish for. It's not all sunshine and roses. Yes, I'd like him to be more balanced and less cutesy, but I'd much rather have him digging on the job than the superficial stuff we're likely limited to now.

(Side editorial: The Record has really gone down hill. They have a number of "reporters" whose objective is to spur letters to the editor by riling up the public without facts or investigation. Whether it's baseless attacks on the public sector (easy targets), shots at the Ranger organization, or teachers or whoever... it's getting shameful.)

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:20 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
(Side editorial: The Record has really gone down hill. They have a number of "reporters" whose objective is to spur letters to the editor by riling up the public without facts or investigation. Whether it's baseless attacks on the public sector (easy targets), shots at the Ranger organization, or teachers or whoever... it's getting shameful.)
Most of the local papers have declined in quality as well - the main issue that I have read is that classified ads accounted for 40% of the revenue at one time. Free Internet ads have virtually wiped this out, as well as reducing the income from the other comercial print ads. To put this into perspective, Google now makes more money in advertising in the US than ALL print, TV and Radio. This is astounding when you think of how many newspapers, radio stations, magazines and TV stations there are - and Google does it mostly for a fraction of a cent at a time.

Your point is excellent regarding watch what you wish for. In Sarnia, for years we had Dave Borody. My biggest criticism was that he never called the ownership to task for their poor record. He had no issue calling our players but declined to broach the subject of the organization's performance despite being in the bottom 10% of the league over their tenure. It was if the Sting were paying him.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:

One key distingulishing factor between Hicks and Montague is that Montague is the sports editor, which is why he is given so much press and exposure. If he was just a writer, then there would be alot less focus put on him.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
methodfilter

Quote:
Franky Palazzese tweeted a picture of his new goalie equipment today in Ranger colours. I would assume this is making Morrison is pretty much toast at this point.
Yup im quoting myself because the Rangers traded goalie Mike Morrison to Peterborough for 3rd rd pick in 2012 and 4th and 6th in 2013.

Old
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Yup im quoting myself because the Rangers traded goalie Mike Morrison to Peterborough for 3rd rd pick in 2012 and 4th and 6th in 2013.
I believe the 6th is conditional is it not?

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote