HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Invite NHL veteran center Michael Nylander to Training Camp

Old
08-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Him being any good at all, much less NHL level, is very likely a pipe dream

08-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Of all the teams for him to try and crack, a solid play off team seems a little optimistic. I could see him maybe making a team with some young guys that aren't quite ready yet...

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:42 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I would have too. It still could happen, however.
Drury just announced he is retiring so the odds are heavily against him trying out. It's a shame because I would have liked to see him try out as well.

We can always just throw a ton of money at him and waive the physical to get him out of retirement. It's like getting a player out of the KHL.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love tryouts. Low risk-high reward. If he kills it in training camp (unlikely, I know) then great. If he sucks, take a hike.
There is no harm in a try out. If they decide Schenn isn't ready, he can start in the AHL and Nylander can play 3C. That's really the problem, he's really a centre, but he's not going to beat out Giroux or Briere, but would you move Jagr down to 3C to play with his buddy?

Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
JVR-Giroux-Simmonds
Nodl-Nylander-Jagr

I'm not sure that's happening....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Him being any good at all, much less NHL level, is very likely a pipe dream
Don't mean I can't smoke it

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 03:23 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
That's really the problem, he's really a centre, but he's not going to beat out Giroux or Briere, but would you move Jagr down to 3C to play with his buddy?

Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
JVR-Giroux-Simmonds
Nodl-Nylander-Jagr

I'm not sure that's happening....
That was actually my thought. Nylander I can see maybe being a 3rd line center at best with or without Schenn in the line-up, but putting Jagr down there with him seems to be counter-productive if you want him to be a top 2 line player. I think it would have to depend heavily on (1) if Schenn is going to be the 3rd line center/on the opening day lineup in some capacity, (2) if Nylander is healthy enough, and (3) if Jagr is willing to be juggled between several lines if Nylander doesn't work out or be set to 3rd line duty. It is even possible that playing 3rd line minutes not against a top line and still seeing a good amount of PP time will benefit Jagr's production and wear and tear over the course of the season.

Old
08-22-2011, 09:49 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
That was actually my thought. Nylander I can see maybe being a 3rd line center at best with or without Schenn in the line-up, but putting Jagr down there with him seems to be counter-productive if you want him to be a top 2 line player. I think it would have to depend heavily on (1) if Schenn is going to be the 3rd line center/on the opening day lineup in some capacity, (2) if Nylander is healthy enough, and (3) if Jagr is willing to be juggled between several lines if Nylander doesn't work out or be set to 3rd line duty. It is even possible that playing 3rd line minutes not against a top line and still seeing a good amount of PP time will benefit Jagr's production and wear and tear over the course of the season.
Jagr third line not happening 2nd possible but i think he will play 1st line..............

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Karl Hungus

If you are bringing in Jagr then I think Nylander is a great idea. He might be over the hill but another chance to player with Jagr could breathe new life into his old body, at least for a little while and possibly during the playoffs.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I think the organization trying to force some type of chemistry with Jagr and Nylander will end up costing Jagr prime opportunities to build chemistry with what will end up being his actual linemates. I don't see any chance of Nylander making the team.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:48 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think the organization trying to force some type of chemistry with Jagr and Nylander will end up costing Jagr prime opportunities to build chemistry with what will end up being his actual linemates. I don't see any chance of Nylander making the team.
Agree.........

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Has anyone thought he was brought in just to make the transition a little easier for Jagr in his first few weeks here?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Has anyone thought he was brought in just to make the transition a little easier for Jagr in his first few weeks here?
Yeah, He's never lived in PA before...

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:54 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Yeah, He's never lived in PA before...
Pitt and Philly are NOTHING alike. I should know. I've lived in both for a long time.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
From Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...yfBkbM.twitter

Quote:
As much as anything else, I think the Flyers decision to offer a tryout invitation to Michael Nylander was a gesture made with input from Jaromir Jagr. The Flyers want to get things off on the right foot with Jagr. I doubt the decision to invite his former linemate to camp was made completely independent of a discussion with the future Hall of Famer.

The odds of Nylander making the opening night roster appear to be slim, considering his age and recent health record. But the act of inviting him to camp and giving him a legitimate evaluation -- whatever the end result -- is a way to show Jagr that the team values his input.

Remember, a happy Jagr is a productive Jagr. An unhappy Jagr can be a headache.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Thanks Bill lol.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

It's not a bad thing, and honestly, he could be low-risk high-reward anyways, so even if Jagr had the influence on the input to get it done to make him happy, if Nylander did do well in camp and does get signed, then I'm sure it would make not only Jagr feel better, but the team and fans as well for getting another an old, yet skilled, player.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Czech Your Math

Jagr and Nylander can skate around in practice and preseason and show the Flyers how they played keep away with the puck for 2 years. Jagr has a certain style he wants to play and it's probably for he and Nyls to do a demo than for Jags to try to explain it.

He had no chemistry with Drury and negative with Gomez.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:07 AM
turkinaa

If, within the realm of all thing possible, Nylander is healthy enough to play in the NHL and is going to play on a line with Jagr, how much would he end up signing for that would make the Nylander experiment worthwhile?

(Disclaimer: I am in no way support or not supporting the decision to sign him. A lot of things need to fall into place for him to be signed. This is merely hypothetical because, at this time, I do not think he will be signed.)

Old
08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
When does camp open? I'm sure it's been posted before but I'm real lazy.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:54 PM
2minutes4slashing

Sept 17th

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:46 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

What I think this could end up being is more like a Brendan Morrison tryout rather than a Bill Guerin tryout. Brendan Morrison was on a tryout either last season or a few seasons ago, correct? Maybe I'm delusional. Either way, I think we could at least give him a cheap contract like Morrison has if it works out and he could perform like Morrison did (50-something points I think) I hope it works out and we cut a player or two that doesn't deserve to be here.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

As a 38 or 39 year old who has missed an entire year (old people missing a season at that age is no good) because he broke his back while playing in the AHL (notice: NOT the NHL), Nylander would count as a player who doesn't deserve to be here.

He had 33 points the last season he was in the NHL, by the way. I have an extremely hard time believing that he'll jump up to 50 after breaking his spine.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
As a 38 or 39 year old who has missed an entire year (old people missing a season at that age is no good) because he broke his back while playing in the AHL (notice: NOT the NHL), Nylander would count as a player who doesn't deserve to be here.

He had 33 points the last season he was in the NHL, by the way. I have an extremely hard time believing that he'll jump up to 50 after breaking his spine.
It's just a tryout. Even if he plays worse than anyone in the history of the NHL, there is no harm done. Now, if they give him a contract after he plays worse than anyone in the history of the NHL, then we have a problem.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
So the bottom line is, we have to go out of our way to make Jagr happy by, among other things, bringing his old, broken down friends to the sandbox. If he's mad, he'll pout and won't be productive.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote