HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Speaking of the Oilers Goaltending Situation

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Speaking of the Oilers Goaltending Situation

One thing that I have noticed, since I have been at camp for at least a couple or three days the last two years is how good Jeff Deslauriers looks.

One thing that baffles me is his QMJHL numbers always look poor to me.

Last year: 49GP 3.81 GGA .888 Save % Record 18-24-1 Shutouts 0
This year: 8GP 3.70 GGA .897 Save % Record 2-6-0 Shutouts 0

Just as an example of the drafted goalies whose numbers look better this season...

Maxime Daigneault
Corey Crawford
David Tremblay

On top of that quite a few undrafted goalies and rookie Q goalies have far better numbers....

I am only raising the question wondering why his Q numbers are poor and his Training Camp performances are so solid?

Do we want to look at drafting another goalie so we can hedge our bets on JDD?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:46 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
One thing that I have noticed, since I have been at camp for at least a couple or three days the last two years is how good Jeff Deslauriers looks.

One thing that baffles me is his QMJHL numbers always look poor to me.

Last year: 49GP 3.81 GGA .888 Save % Record 18-24-1 Shutouts 0
This year: 8GP 3.70 GGA .897 Save % Record 2-6-0 Shutouts 0

Just as an example of the drafted goalies whose numbers look better this season...

Maxime Daigneault
Corey Crawford
David Tremblay

On top of that quite a few undrafted goalies and rookie Q goalies have far better numbers....

I am only raising the question wondering why his Q numbers are poor and his Training Camp performances are so solid?

Do we want to look at drafting another goalie so we can hedge our bets on JDD?
Isn't JDD on a pretty weak team in the Q? That could be the reason. Also, he probably figures he has nothing to prove in the Q so he doesn't really play to his fullest potential while down there.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:59 AM
jofa

Chicoutimi is a bottom end team in the "Q", however, it is surprising to see his stats lower than most of the other goaltenders in the league, including Chicoutimi's other rookie goaltender (Vincent).

I thought he was ok in training camp, but I'm also a bit confused why he is considered the Oil's best prospect when he's not even close to being the best goalie in the QMJHL. He's got great size and skills, so maybe it is mostly untapped potential that has him rated so high, but right now there's not too much about the Oiler's present and future goaltender situation that would give me much confidence.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
Chicoutimi is a bottom end team in the "Q", however, it is surprising to see his stats lower than most of the other goaltenders in the league, including Chicoutimi's other rookie goaltender (Vincent).

I thought he was ok in training camp, but I'm also a bit confused why he is considered the Oil's best prospect when he's not even close to being the best goalie in the QMJHL. He's got great size and skills, so maybe it is mostly untapped potential that has him rated so high, but right now there's not too much about the Oiler's present and future goaltender situation that would give me much confidence.
Absolutely...and when I looked at Houle and Tremblay...I thought hmm.....is it possible that we like our guy just because he is the only goaltending prospect of note in the organization...

Strangely though..JDD always impresses me at camp.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Blue Bullet

Never look at goalie stats to determine how good a goalie will be. Deslauriers is better than his numbers show.

Look at Luongo when he played in the Q. The year after he was drafted he had a 3.09GAA and a .899 save % on a better team than Deslauriers is on. His stats were lower than a few of the goalies in the Q but that didn't mean he wasn't the best goalie in the league and a future superstar. Luongo never put up great numbers in the Q that would make you think that he was a great goalie but anybody who watched him back than saw the potential.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Impossibles

The Q is a completely offensive league.

Consider M-A Fleurey's numbers last year:

Cape Breton
51 games
17 wins
24 Losses
6 Ties
2 Shutouts
3.36 GAA
.910 Save Percentage

Don't look at numbers for junior goalies.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
The Q is a completely offensive league.

Consider M-A Fleurey's numbers last year:

Cape Breton
51 games
17 wins
24 Losses
6 Ties
2 Shutouts
3.36 GAA
.910 Save Percentage

Don't look at numbers for junior goalies.
You can't use that offensive league excuse. Compare his stats to other goalies in the Q.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...LeadersGeneral

24th in GAA
15th in Save %

Those numbers worry me as much as any others. (And if you want to use Luongo as an example JDD hasn't had as good a year as Luongo's worst year in the Q)

Old
10-23-2003, 11:32 AM
speeds

I can't say that I'm a fan, or not a fan, of Deslauriers, but I don't understand why he is ranked as EDM's #1 prospect. Even now, he's so far away from the pros I'd have a hard time putting him top 5 and I've actually liked what I've seen from both camps.

I rarely like the idea of drafting a goalie high, though there are of course exceptions to that.

When we've had a thread here about top 10 prospects or something Deslauriers always ends up near the bottom of that list for me, if he's on it, but that's simply a reflection that I don't like counting on goalies as prospects.

He might well go on to being a great goalie, but I'd still have to say he's overrated by Oilers fans in general (and most likely underrated by the likes of me).

Old
10-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I can't say that I'm a fan, or not a fan, of Deslauriers, but I don't understand why he is ranked as EDM's #1 prospect. Even now, he's so far away from the pros I'd have a hard time putting him top 5 and I've actually liked what I've seen from both camps.

I rarely like the idea of drafting a goalie high, though there are of course exceptions to that.

When we've had a thread here about top 10 prospects or something Deslauriers always ends up near the bottom of that list for me, if he's on it, but that's simply a reflection that I don't like counting on goalies as prospects.

He might well go on to being a great goalie, but I'd still have to say he's overrated by Oilers fans in general (and most likely underrated by the likes of me).
And for me speeds, I don't mind being the Devil's Advocate, where he has looked very good to me every time I have seen him.(Both training camps.)

But again, discussions for the future goaltending of this club seems to be revolved around JDD...a big goaltender that covers a lot of the net(Hey maybe Bryn and Jake are on to something here with the Sumo theory. )

My thoughts are to possibly look to 2004 and take a goalie in the 2nd round or if one of the top ranked guys is there around 17(Where we will likely be around) like Montoya, Dubnyk, Schwarz.....we may want to possibly look at having an alternative to JDD in the system.

Closed Thread