HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
This thing needs updating.
Updated.

Sorry been a bit busy the last couple days, and didn't update the draft picks. Unless you see something else that's missing?

Anybody want to mention a few popular names the Avs passed on with their later picks after the 1st round? I kinda skimmed the draft threads and saw a couple, but they're too long to go digging through.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 650
I think the Liles trade was left out, unless I missed it somehow.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
I think the Liles trade was left out, unless I missed it somehow.
Yep, good catch. Forgot to add that one for some reason.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
TheAlaskan

vCash: 500
Shermanator was on NHL Live today -- don't know if anyone caught it but it didn't sound too bad. One thing in particular he said was that he was okay with giving up a 1st round draft pick to WAS because Varlamov was a 1st round pick himself. It's always nice to hear the GM's brain get picked by Hradek.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
You can watch the interview on NHL.com

- Sherman said Varlamov came in about a month early to work with Colorado's strength and conditioning people. They're not worried about his health.
- EJ is another guy who came to Denver early in the summer to get in shape. Been showing leadership on and off the ice.
- Said Landeskog is a guy who has "an opportunity" to make the team. Yeah, he's on the team.
- Mueller is still getting his legs under him, but they expect him to be a big part of the team.
- When he was asked about young players that have impressed, he said Elliott, Barrie, and Malone. No surprise.
- I learned Sherman has been in the organization for 15 years. I was not aware of that.

Pretty fluff interview.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

- Sherman said Varlamov came in about a month early to work with Colorado's strength and conditioning people. They're not worried about his health.
- EJ is another guy who came to Denver early in the summer to get in shape. Been showing leadership on and off the ice.
- Said Landeskog is a guy who has "an opportunity" to make the team. Yeah, he's on the team.
- Mueller is still getting his legs under him, but they expect him to be a big part of the team.
- When he was asked about young players that have impressed, he said Elliott, Barrie, and Malone. No surprise.
- I learned Sherman has been in the organization for 15 years. I was not aware of that.

Pretty fluff interview.
Yeah nothing ground breaking but it was nice to listen to.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
TheAlaskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

Pretty fluff interview.
Um, yeah, it's NHL Live. The only thing missing was Pierre McGuire popping in to talk about his man-crush on Sidney.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:00 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I posted this on another site and feel it merits a copy/paste:
Quote:
This marks the start of the 3rd season we have had Sherman as a GM (or if you will, Sherman as the accountant and Lacroix/Billington as puppet-master) and I think that merits a reflection on his performance thus far.

2009-2010

Entry draft: 10/10. Duchene may have been a gimme, but O'Reilly turned out to be an impact player, while Elliot and Barrie are very good prospects who may become very good players.
Coaching: 4/10. Cans Granato and co. so he deserves at least a 3. Sacco appears to hover around D+ ish game manager but has not been adverse to the development of any of the vast number of young players on the roster (except maybe Galiardi)
Free Agency: 9/10. Craig Anderson was 6th in Vezina voting and cost him 3% of his cap space. Didn't sign Laperriere or Guite, for better or for worse.
Trades: 9/10. Turned Smyth into Quincey and Wolski into Mueller and Porter. Two trades that were good as is and could be great if Mueller and Quincey combine for 70-80 points. Yelle was...nothing really special.
Farm: 10/10. Signs Haydar for Lake Erie. Hensick/Williams let go; neither appear likely to play in NHL in near future. LEM gain one point in the standings.

2010-2011

Draft: 7/10. Hishon's stock skyrocketed and Pickard made it through the first cuts in camp. Thus far, another good draft.
Coaching: 1/10. Names Kirk McLean as goalie coach and all 3 goalies have terrible seasons. Not strict cause-and-effect, but still bad.
Free Agents: 2/10. Van Der Gulik had one good game and Mauldin played pretty well for 10 games...and that's all. Didn't sign Dupuis or Clark, for better or for worse. Relations with Craig Anderson drop as quickly as Craig Anderson's save percentage.
Trades: HOOOOOLEEEEEYYYY ****/10. Man he made a lot of trades. Winnik: good. Hannan/Flash: wash. Bourneval/O'Byrne: good. Cohen/Hunwick: terrible. Anderson/Elliot: brilliant, in the sense that Colorado also traded Ottawa draft spots. But really terrible. Stewart/EJ: the 20 games played by EJ were the best by an Avs defenseman since Rob Blake. The awesomeness of this is offset by losing Stewart, who is really ****ing awesome in his own right, making this trade a wash. Varlamov/1st: been rehashed enough lately. I believe that Varlamov's career to date is worth a 1st and 2nd round pick, but I also realize that this trade has the potential to be Kessel-ish and set Colorado back for years. Liles/2nd: bad. Even if you want a youth movement, the best return on the 14th highest scoring dman in the league is a low 2nd? Bleh.
Farm: Montgomery for Belle adds value to the AHL team without ever affecting the NHL team. LEM make the playoffs.

2011-2012: with zero NHL games played my opinions on the draft/UFA signings at this point are just that

------

I would summarize this progress report by saying that Sherman's management during this time at least deserves the benefit of the doubt. His drafting appears solid and his ability to find unheralded talent like Anderson, Winnik, or Hishon suggests his analytical team knows how to do their job. What's more, his trades seem to reflect a tendency to sell high and buy low: this, of course, raises the question about whether the team will stop hugging the cap floor and be able to afford both high and low anytime soon. That having been said, he has handled the team's assets in a manner that demands results: if EJ, Varlamov, and Landeskog all have average-to-poor seasons in the next 2-3 years, it is going to be hard to argue against ****canning him if the players Colorado "could have had" are tearing it up.

Last edited by WarriorOfGandhi: 10-02-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old
10-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Link to the NHL live interview

The thing with Sherman is that he is never going to say anything that comes back to haunt him. So in that way his interviews are boring. He can't really be evaluated from what he says, but only from what he does.

Last edited by Freudian: 10-02-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old
10-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

So far I'm not happy with his and Sacco's moves coming into this season. I will continue to harp on this until it is addressed by Sherman, but it makes no sense to play it safe when you've put your reputation on the line with the Varly trade. This team as currently comprised is not good enough defensively to win those 1-0 games, and they're not nearly good enough offensively to win any other types of games.

It's only one game into the season, but right now he gets below-average marks from me.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
So far I'm not happy with his and Sacco's moves coming into this season. I will continue to harp on this until it is addressed by Sherman, but it makes no sense to play it safe when you've put your reputation on the line with the Varly trade. This team as currently comprised is not good enough defensively to win those 1-0 games, and they're not nearly good enough offensively to win any other types of games.

It's only one game into the season, but right now he gets below-average marks from me.
And I've lowered his grade to a D. He still doesn't get a full-on F, but this offseason's moves were just inexcusable.

Dater puts it better than I do.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...osherman/8794/

I don't agree with ALL of his points, but nearly all of them.

Old
11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

If we do give the Caps a top 10 pick, that is the only time I want Sherman gone.

Old
11-10-2011, 09:31 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
If we do give the Caps a top 10 pick, that is the only time I want Sherman gone.
Shermam made a DUMB trade, there is no excuse, regardless of where we finish... even McPhee coudnt belive he got such a great deal!

Varlamov WAS NOT the caps #1 goalie at the moment, was about to LEAVE for RUSSIA and was considered INJURY PRONE!! he gave up a 1st and a 2nd.. that is DUMB!!! a joke actually!

The worst part is that we have no hope, because even if him and Sacco are fired... PL will keep hiring his buddies or former Avs.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:38 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Shermam made a DUMB trade, there is no excuse, regardless of where we finish... even McPhee coudnt belive he got such a great deal!

Varlamov WAS NOT the caps #1 goalie at the moment, was about to LEAVE for RUSSIA and was considered INJURY PRONE!! he gave up a 1st and a 2nd.. that is DUMB!!! a joke actually!

The worst part is that we have no hope, because even if him and Sacco are fired... PL will keep hiring his buddies or former Avs.
Landeskog-Duchene-Mueller
Hishon-Stastny-Jones
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Winnik
McCleod-McClement-Malone

Siemens-EJ
Quincey-Elliott
Hejda-Barrie
Gaunce/Chouinard/O'Brien/Wilson

Varly
Pickard
Aittokalio

Clearly we have no hope for the future given that's the lineup we could have in a year or two if we make no further trades or signings...People need to chill the **** out, draft picks are important...because having good young talent is important, but we're not starving for young talent so we can afford to give up some assets, not to mention Varly himself is an incredible young talent, a Goalie the caliber of which we'd have had no hope of drafting with our pick.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Again, still not mad about the Varly deal...just the facts that Sherman overcompensated a bit IMO in making a small, weak blueline bigger and tougher at the cost of puckmoving skill and speed, and did next to nothing to shore up a weak offense this offseason. You don't ice a team like that if you're intending to have a winning season...and if you hand over a first rounder, it's a given you intend to have a winning season.

I WILL give him credit though for the acquisitions on the blueline, which IMO have been fine, as well as the signing of JSG. He is in many ways that "veteran presence" we so desperately need. Just wish we had more of that.

Last edited by Av-merican: 11-11-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old
11-11-2011, 02:09 AM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Clearly we have no hope for the future given that's the lineup we could have in a year or two if we make no further trades or signings...People need to chill the **** out, draft picks are important...because having good young talent is important, but we're not starving for young talent so we can afford to give up some assets, not to mention Varly himself is an incredible young talent, a Goalie the caliber of which we'd have had no hope of drafting with our pick.
Thing is, I wouldn't have cared if we gave up the pick had we signed Brad Richards or some other big name UFA. At least then we'd be trying hard to go deep this year and I'd feel more confident that the team could secure a playoff spot and Washington wouldn't receive a good selection. Instead, we have the lowest payroll in the league. It's like we're still in a slight rebuild phase but we traded a 1st rounder to get slightly further?

Now I'm not advocating careless contracts just for the sake of hitting near the ceiling, but I just don't understand the point of trading a 1st rounder if we're not going for broke.

Old
11-11-2011, 08:35 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Thing is, I wouldn't have cared if we gave up the pick had we signed Brad Richards or some other big name UFA. At least then we'd be trying hard to go deep this year and I'd feel more confident that the team could secure a playoff spot and Washington wouldn't receive a good selection. Instead, we have the lowest payroll in the league. It's like we're still in a slight rebuild phase but we traded a 1st rounder to get slightly further?

Now I'm not advocating careless contracts just for the sake of hitting near the ceiling, but I just don't understand the point of trading a 1st rounder if we're not going for broke.
We add a 23 year old goalie with the talent to win Vezinas...as in multiple Vezina trophies...that's why we traded away a first round pick...

Old
11-11-2011, 10:58 AM
avsfan9

Quote:
We add a 23 year old goalie with the talent to win Vezinas...as in multiple Vezina trophies...that's why we traded away a first round pick...
agree

Old
11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Landeskog-Duchene-Mueller
Hishon-Stastny-Jones
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Winnik
McCleod-McClement-Malone

Siemens-EJ
Quincey-Elliott
Hejda-Barrie
Gaunce/Chouinard/O'Brien/Wilson

Varly
Pickard
Aittokalio

It was poor asset management, i dont care if Varlamov proves to be the nex Patrick Roy, the fact is that, at the time the trade was made, IT WAS A BAD TRADE!

Also, people around here need to understand that our player are not as good as some think they are. Its easy to blame Sacco form everything, but is it his fault that EJ make's a lot o bad decisions?? Is it his fault that Stastny is not showing up most nights, when he is our most expensive player?? Is it Sacco's fault that management was counting on Mueller do be a contribuitor this year, after he missed all last year with concussions??

Are you really counting on Mueller, Hishon, Barrie, Elliot and Siemens to have a big impact on this team in a year or two?? I wouldn't.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Unless Sakic is ready to be GM, I'm OK with letting Sherman hang onto his job...for now.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
It was poor asset management, i dont care if Varlamov proves to be the nex Patrick Roy, the fact is that, at the time the trade was made, IT WAS A BAD TRADE!

Also, people around here need to understand that our player are not as good as some think they are. Its easy to blame Sacco form everything, but is it his fault that EJ make's a lot o bad decisions?? Is it his fault that Stastny is not showing up most nights, when he is our most expensive player?? Is it Sacco's fault that management was counting on Mueller do be a contribuitor this year, after he missed all last year with concussions??

Are you really counting on Mueller, Hishon, Barrie, Elliot and Siemens to have a big impact on this team in a year or two?? I wouldn't.
That's like your opinion man, but people on this board drastically over-value draft picks. They're important and all, but realistically you'd have to be ecstatic to find a young player of Varly's caliber with that pick that we gave up. Giving up the extra 2nd rounder for the 5 years of development and NHL readiness of Varly over a rookie made sense to me since we've already got some good goalie prospects for 3-5 years from now and needed someone who fit the rest of our core as a young NHL caliber guy who still had boatloads of potential and room to grow.

My point wasn't that we're all set and all the team needs to do is sit tight and wait for the championships to roll in, my point was that there's a lot of young talent already on the team or about to break into the team. Will they all reach their prime in the next year or two? **** no, but there's enough in the pipeline already were we're not in desperate need of more prospects. What we need is more NHL talent and that's what Varly is, a young player with room to grow, who can already make an impact in the NHL and will grow into a top tier player over the next year or two.

Young players make mistakes, it's a part of the development process, anyone who thinks EJ making mistakes as a kid is going to prevent him from being a great defensemen in his prime is an idiot. The same is true for everyone on that future team I listed beyond Staz, Jones, Duke, Hejda and Winnik. Even staz, jones and winnik will be better in two years than they are now. Why are you so hung up on this season when it's 2-3 years from now that we can realistically be contending for the cup which is why 2+ years out is what we need to be thinking about.

Plus that lineup doesn't account for any FA signings or other trades to fill in the pieces we need like that top 6 winger to give us cover for Mueller and Hishon's injury-prone-ness. Or that vet top pairing Dman to really bring EJ's game to that elite level he's working towards. This team still has a great core in place and a lot of assets to make necessary moves going forward.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Draft picks have more value than ever in the cap era. It allows you to, for a time, add solid talent for relatively cheap.

That being said, it should be this team's mission to make certain that draft pick is as low in the 1st round as possible. That means making the playoffs...I don't see that happening with a team that can't score at even strength, can't kill penalties with any sort of regularity, can't win at home, and apparently can't win in regulation.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Draft picks have more value than ever in the cap era. It allows you to, for a time, add solid talent for relatively cheap.

That being said, it should be this team's mission to make certain that draft pick is as low in the 1st round as possible. That means making the playoffs...I don't see that happening with a team that can't score at even strength, can't kill penalties with any sort of regularity, can't win at home, and apparently can't win in regulation.
But we still have that. Even after the Varly trade. Even if we give up a top ten pick. So why is everyone so focused on how we do this season and not on the development of our young players? Yes the team can't be terrible because that hurts the players development, but we're not. We're still in a playoff position and should be fighting for that spot all season long, and as long as that happens this is a good year whether we end up falling out of the race down the stretch and end up in 10th or so instead of sneaking in. Granted I'm still hoping for this team to make the playoffs and think that has a good chance of happening.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
But we still have that. Even after the Varly trade. Even if we give up a top ten pick. So why is everyone so focused on how we do this season and not on the development of our young players? Yes the team can't be terrible because that hurts the players development, but we're not. We're still in a playoff position and should be fighting for that spot all season long, and as long as that happens this is a good year whether we end up falling out of the race down the stretch and end up in 10th or so instead of sneaking in. Granted I'm still hoping for this team to make the playoffs and think that has a good chance of happening.
Agreed--even if it does end up being a lottery pick, I think we still have gotten good value for it. All we lose is a lot of face, which sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

Nonetheless, management said when they made that trade that they are through waiting--the time to win is NOW. Granted, this was a trade for the future as well since Varly is still young yet, but you don't trade away 1st rounders if you're still in rebuild mode. That's why it irks me to no end that they did such a piss-poor job grabbing bargain-bin discounts. Even if they were trying to go cheap, there were better options.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

^^^ Agreed. I don't care if the pick is #5 or # 25.

If it's #5, it means we get a good pick in the 2nd round. If it's #25, it means we had a good season.

Closed Thread